• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
FULL MELEE, BRAWL, AND 64 STAGE PACKS. BELIEVE.

parappa_propaganda_by_blinkstale-d33enr5.png

A really really huge Ridley Trophy where we have to scrolling up like 100 times to see Ridley's eye.

serious answer: it might be memories that are used for remembering your last colors (characters), 8 customization/setting per character, etc, etc.
Eh, 900mb sounds like a lot of overkill just to save a series of settings for each character when the actual character files/code that *would* take up a lot of room is already on the cartridge or digital copy.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Is that from Mac's victory screen or is there actually a way to get Doc Louis to show up during a match?

Challenge pic. Those images with black borders are data-mined challenge pictures I believe.

PKrockin

What is this I'm hearing about vectoring? Apparently it's a bad thing...?
It potentially makes a lot of combos impossible or much more limited, and makes it possible to survive to an absurdly high percentage, which many competitive players/spectators think would make the game less exciting to play/watch in tournaments.

Neiteio

There's definitely going to be DLC.

Create a handful of characters, and:

- Many people will buy them twice -- once for 3DS, once for WiiU
- Many people will buy the corresponding Amiibos that go with them
- They'll get more mileage out of every marketing dollar with sustained momentum

It's too lucrative an opportunity to pass up. And really, just look at MK8. There'll be DLC.

JediLink

What is this I'm hearing about vectoring? Apparently it's a bad thing...?
It's a replacement mechanic for DI (directional influence). In previous games, the defending player could attempt to survive and escape combos by influencing the direction of their knockback. Now the defending player has a lot more control than they did before in that they can influence not only their direction, but also the amount of knockback. It's speculated that this might make combos harder/non-existent, but exactly how effective the mechanic is isn't known yet.

Does the idea of different stages sound appealing as a DLC option for you guys? More characters seems more worth it, but it doesn't seem very possible.

random25

Regarding "vectoring", I think in the demo I saw a tip that pertains to a technique called Hitstun Shuffling, which says inputting a direction while taking damage moves you slightly in that direction. So maybe it really is part of the game.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Some of you complain about everything, though. FD stage variations are bad, blast zones are bad, speed isn't enough, DI whatever, etc etc...

As much as I dislike whining, in their defense the game isn't out yet so all people can do is speculate (and complain) about what we see on streams.

Oh yeah. Is there a level editor like Brawl? I remember making a stage where you could only die from meteor smashes (or bouncing off a wall to the bottom of the stage). Maybe that's what the arrows are for?

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
As much as I dislike whining, in their defense the game isn't out yet so all people can do is speculate (and complain) about what we see on streams.
But the game is out. I have it. :p

Fiktion

Banned
Some of you complain about everything, though. FD stage variations are bad, blast zones are bad, speed isn't enough, DI whatever, etc etc...
That doesn't mean their criticisms are invalid.

I'm a casual hoping for a healthy competitive scene, and I'd just like to see people wait and test this new mechanic thoroughly before jumping to conclusions about the impact it will have.

Azure J

Are you interested in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax? :p Altus really pick a bad date for P4AU to coming out like few days before Smash 3DS coming out.

I don't think I'm picking that one up. I like how the game looks and plays and did want to get into it at one point, but I guess I'm just going to be fickle and stick to Smash and GG this winter season.

Hatchtag

Banned
Does the idea of different stages sound appealing as a DLC option for you guys? More characters seems more worth it, but it doesn't seem very possible.

able to play this game competitively pack: Pokemon Stadium 1, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64.
Bam. Game would be so much better if they'd just do that shit. I don't like the stage selection in the 3DS version in general, but man, the amount of good competitive stages is abysmal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom