• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_lsaiprJv4F1qc0jiao2_400.gif

You know what happens next, don't you?

tumblr_lveyyk3XDA1qzgh25o1_r2_500.gif

Skyward Sword Zelda design is the best

georly

Haha, I think that was me.

Hey oric, you have the friend code list somewhere handy?

Someone just posted full English names and description for all custom moves. (Yeah, it was in Japanese game)

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=c2xywrva

Thanks, i'll update my custom move pages!

Updated names AND added the description:

DK: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131406623&postcount=18001
Link: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=130692788&postcount=12911
Ganondorf: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131415338&postcount=18051

Also, I completed sheik, so I may do her custom move post tonight.

I don't know for the 3DS, but for the 3DS XL I got the cyber grip. It got rid of virtually any hand cramps or discomfort, and the triggers are fine for me but I have kind of big hands. I think at least one moderator got the same thing and didn't like how it has fake trigger rests for your middle fingers, but I don't know if it's a preference thing or a hand size thing. I always press the triggers with my index fingers.

That was me. Overall, barring a better alternative I don't know of, I highly recommend it. My beef was just that I wish the fake triggers were somehow the real triggers. It'd be perfect then. As is, I can rest my middle fingers on them and easily reach R/L with my index fingers, but it'd be more comfortable for me if I could just leave my middle finger next to my ring and pinkie fingers. But doing that leaves R/L as kind of a stretch for my index fingers.

Still, it's way more comfortable having it than not.

HiroTSK5

Definitely a case where I would have myself a new character if I could play with that design.

I might be wrong, but Hyrule Warriors at least looks like the Link, Zelda and Impa Models/Designs are Skyward Sword based, also the Skyward Sword pre-order from...best buy.

Here's the list of friend codes. If anyone wants to add their info to it, quote this post to get a link to a questionnaire that will automatically fill it in.

I wasn't planning on adding to the list until launch, but I see no reason not to do it now.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That was me. Overall, barring a better alternative I don't know of, I highly recommend it. My beef was just that I wish the fake triggers were somehow the real triggers. It'd be perfect then. As is, I can rest my middle fingers on them and easily reach R/L with my index fingers, but it'd be more comfortable for me if I could just leave my middle finger next to my ring and pinkie fingers. But doing that leaves R/L as kind of a stretch for my index fingers.

What is name of product that y'all bought. I'm more curious with the add on because I think I need all helps as I can with being comfortable with 3DS XL.

Oh yeah, I actually got mine yesterday on your recommendation. I really dig it! Agreed it would be better if the grip had some sort of shoulder button work around, but I've adjusted pretty quickly to it.

SoldnerKei

『Inaba Resident』;131484089 said:
Skyward Sword Zelda design is the best

too much "childhood friend cliche animu girl"
even
to me P:

Twilight Princess Zelda is a total babe thou, glad they kind of based on her again for Smash 4

Jawmuncher

I might be wrong, but Hyrule Warriors at least looks like the Link, Zelda and Impa Models/Designs are Skyward Sword based, also the Skyward Sword pre-order from...best buy.

I wasn't planning on adding to the list until launch, but I see no reason not to do it now.

It seems they definitely are if anything a mix of SS with TP which works out pretty well.

...but quoting myself to try to get an answer...
Ok, this is a question for people with any copy of the game. Demo, JP, whatever. But -

Last night I was doing some 3 player action in the demo. Several times, mid match, the game kept freezing. Like, totally stopped mid fight. Sometimes it would be a half a second, but several times it was several seconds. The Smash "icon" appeared in the bottom right corner, as if to say "I'm loading the rest of this fight". It was ridiculous.

TL;DR - Smash Freezing to "load" in Local 3 player fights.

Anyone else experience this?

A week to go! If some of us get lucky with our pre orders that is.

I ordered through shopto and it's been a while since I last did. Hoping I get it Thursday at the latest.

Dimmle

too much "childhood friend cliche animu girl"
even
to me P:

Twilight Princess Zelda is a total babe thou, glad they kind of based on her again for Smash 4

I mean, you're just trading one archetype for an archetype you happen to prefer in that case. Character nuance isn't much of a thing in Zelda games.

Thanks!

Hah, it's past 100, which I think is the 3DS limit, no?

I'll add as many as I can tonight, and anyone who hasn't added me back by oct 5th is getting deleted in favor of more players
Yeah, there's no way people are going to be able to add everyone. At least with the Wii U, it will alert people when they get a request.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
oh god fuck no

The audience should be fucking irrelevant. The fact that a need to somehow take it into account has emerged is a problem.

Competitive games need to be exciting to watch or else no one will care to actually tune in. No one tunes in to watch, players can't quit their day jobs, scene dies horrible death.

georly

Vs real people? Wireless latency. Make sure your 3DSes are pointed at each other and that you're not too far away. Other wireless interference can cause issues! Don't play near microwaves!

A week to go! If some of us get lucky with our pre orders that is.

I ordered through shopto and it's been a while since I last did. Hoping I get it Thursday at the latest.

I'm hoping i'll get an early copy by next wednesday. Thursday at the latest, but wednesday is looking likely.

Jawmuncher

Vs real people? Wireless latency. Make sure your 3DSes are pointed at each other and that you're not too far away. Other wireless interference can cause issues! Don't play near microwaves!

That's wrong. Microwaves make for the best possible experience.

Ok, this is a question for people with any copy of the game. Demo, JP, whatever. But -

Last night I was doing some 3 player action in the demo. Several times, mid match, the game kept freezing. Like, totally stopped mid fight. Sometimes it would be a half a second, but several times it was several seconds. The Smash "icon" appeared in the bottom right corner, as if to say "I'm loading the rest of this fight". It was ridiculous.

TL;DR - Smash Freezing to "load" in Local 3 player fights.

Anyone else experience this?

When you say "Local" do you mean you versus 2 computer opponents, or you versus two human players in Group mode? Because if it's the former, my suspicion -- based on nothing substantive -- would be that maybe something is wrong with your SD card. If it's the latter, then I don't know. Haven't tried anything but CPU opponents. Never had a problem myself, though.

georly

That's wrong. Microwaves make for the best possible experience.

Not if you put metal in for like 5 minutes. Or popcorn for the same amount. Just nasty.

Competitive games need to be exciting to watch or else no one will care to actually tune in. No one tunes in to watch, players can't quit their day jobs, scene dies horrible death.

Yup. Sports/games live off the audience. No one will stream if no one tunes in.

Players looking to quit their day jobs and the whole chasing e-sports status/trying to "make it big" is the problem in the first place.

SoldnerKei

I mean, you're just trading one archetype for an archetype you happen to prefer in that case. Character nuance isn't much of a thing in Zelda games.

thou TP Zelda wasn't much of an archtype, I mean, she barely appears or does something in the game, but the times she does I was drooling all over the place, she looks perfect in that game~

I liked that they gave her more personality in SS but I expected they would stick to something more alike in previous games, and not something you usually see on a romance comedy animu, but then again when has she had a major role other than dress up as a guy, talking you through dreams, or looking perfect on her purple dress? certainly, SS Zelda has more than her previous incarnations

I was expecting a SS alt for smash thou :c

georly

Happened to me as well, 1 on 1 against a friend. Local of course! Sorry but I still couldn't figure out the reason, hopefully it won't happen in the full version!

From what I understand, if both players are facing each other (not sitting next to each other), the local wireless will be better. If there are 3-4, sitting in a circle works best.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Players looking to quit their day jobs and the whole chasing e-sports status/trying to "make it big" is the problem in the first place.

Why is it a problem? If someone's passion in life is to play Smash or League of Legends till they become the best in the world and they could possibly make a living off of it why wouldn't they?

When you say "Local" do you mean you versus 2 computer opponents, or you versus two human players in Group mode? Because if it's the former, my suspicion -- based on nothing substantive -- would be that maybe something is wrong with your SD card. If it's the latter, then I don't know. Haven't tried anything but CPU opponents. Never had a problem myself, though.

I assume he means wireless local versus. It does this for me too, some matches get really bad lag.

I have the same grip and I share your opinion of it. If only the fake trigger rests had buttons with some kind of mechanism that pressed the L and R triggers. I really dislike holding it with my middle fingers on the rests. I feel like the thing is going to slip out of my hands.

My solution is to hold it with my index finger on the left fake trigger rest which takes L completely out of the game, and place my right index finger on R and middle finger on the rest. The system feels sturdy-ish my my hands that way.

Once the retail game is out, I'm going to experiment with control schemes that don't involve the triggers at all.

Dimmle

I liked that they gave her more personality in SS but I expected they would stick to something more alike in previous games, and not something you usually see on a romance comedy animu, but then again when has she had a major role other than dress up as a guy, talking you through dreams, or look perfect on her purple dress?

I was expecting a SS alt for smash thou :c

I'd like to see more Zelda representation in the vein of something like Tetra.

DaBoss

You missed the point here, I'm talking exclusively about the control you have over your character, not how good the games are or whether or not the lesser control you have makes the games worse. Galaxy as it is is leaps and bounds better than 64 in my opinion and having 64s character control wouldn't really improve it in a meaningful way.

You agree with me you have less control over Mario in those games due to their design in this post, and having less control over your character is a step backwards in regard to the amount of control you have over your character. "Less" can't be equal to "more."
Ahh, I misunderstood what you meant. I thought you meant step backwards as in worse and Mario Galaxy would be better with them. Sorry about that.
It is lag. It just occurs randomly sometimes.

georly

Why is it a problem? If someone's passion in life is to play Smash or League of Legends till they become the best in the world and they could possibly make a living off of it why wouldn't they?

I don't see the problem either. Why is trying to make it big bad? Why is playing a video game for a living a problem? Who does that hurt?

Sports players do it all the time. They don't have day jobs.

They both want to play games for a living, either because they like the game or they want the money/fame associated with it, or all of the above.

Not many will play smash 4 if they can't make some money for doing so. And they won't make money if nobody watches them play.

Also, is there a way to take pictures of trophies? You could do it in brawl, right? I haven't been able to figure out how in smash 4 3DS yet.

agyzuv.png

Hey guys! Voice Chat for Smash is still something I'm super excited to get going.

So, Devo and I would love to do a test run beforehand just to make sure the server and all of the setting we have are up to snuff. We were thinking of getting as many GAFers as we can to test it out this Friday (though the date may change) by jumping on Mario Kart 8 and seeing how everything holds up. If you're available to to do this, please let me know! In addition to helping get things ready, playing Mario Kart with SmashGAF should prove to be quite fun. It would most likely be around 7:00-7:30 PM PST, but still let me know what times work best for you so that we can change it if necessary.

As I mentioned before, servers for voice chat won't be available until a week after launch the US launch. "But Oric," you cry with worrisome tones, "what if I want quick communication options before then?" Well lucky for you, there's a great text based IRC chat already in place for this thread. I encourage people to use this if they have no interest in using voice chat or when playing with people who can't/don't want to speak online. We won't have text features on our TeamSpeak server, so this'll be the place to go for that. Here's the info for that:

Server: irc.rizon.net
Channel: #SmashGAF
Mibbit Link to Chat

Anyway, let me know if you can help this Friday. Looking forward to when we have everything rolling!

I don't see the problem either. Why is trying to make it big bad? Why is playing a video game for a living a problem? Who does that hurt?

Sports players do it all the time. They don't have day jobs.

They both want to play games for a living, either because they like the game or they want the money/fame associated with it, or all of the above.

Not many will play smash 4 if they can't make some money for doing so. And they won't make money if nobody watches them play.

I think it's fine if that's what you decide to do. That said, I think it's stupid to do currently just because there are a shit ton of risks associated with it for not that much money. But if someone is ok with that, then no need to hold it against them

I've always been against cash prizes in the first place. The money would be better spent by organizers to ensure future events anyway.
It's a problem because without all the bloat there wouldn't be such a need to take the audience into account.

I've always been against cash prizes in the first place. The money would be better spent by organizers to ensure future events anyway.
Cash prizes help motivate people to play and play better. Especially since a lot of tournaments require players to spend a lot of time driving and spend quite a bit on gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom