• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has this been noticed? Small detail that will no doubt be missed whilst fighting XD, but love that it's in, the tome's symbol changes upon charge level:
CjSzL5Y.png

tYwqNgj.png

qoAMunk.png

Cse

Banned
I tallied up the numbers in another post, but assuming each franchise shown gets 1 new stage per version, we'll easily sit at 36 stages before past stages on both versions.

I really love some of the new stages that have been presented thus far, but I really hope they go all out and make HD remakes of many of the previous Smash stages.

I really hope some of the classics return, such as Corneria, Green Greens, Pokemon Stadium, Dream Land, and Temple.

I'm actually really surprised I didn't think of that, because you're right. New question then, will multiple people be able to play as the same Mii, do you think?

Nope! I don't think so. I think if you one person chooses the Mii called "Evan", no one else can pick Evan's Mii again. I DO think, though, that you can have 2 completely identical Miis--Evan and Bob--and use them both in the same match. The "Player 1" or "Blue Team" flag above the players would be what you'd have to depend on to differentiate.

Maybe. That's my guess.

Gilbals

Banned
iZDciizXz9pKg.gif

This makes me want a sakurai-directed, platinum-developed captain falcon game. Not F-Zero, but a game starring captain falcon, doing his captain falcon things.

He'd fit as a great bonus character in a new Mad World, at least...Or just make a F-Zero Brawler like Mad World and put Jack as a Bonus Character...Please? Please Sakurai and Kamiya?

flohen95

I'll forever weep the day Nintendo ignored the best Fire Emblem Lord of all games.

Motherfucking Ephraim.

Yeah, I love Fire Emblem 8 and it's sad that it's gotten only so little recognition. At least Nintendo included it in the 3DS ambassador games, which was actually how I discovered the Fire Emblem series, and my profile pic tells you where I am today. I hold that game in high regards.

Eirika > Ephraim though :p

Bro, there's no way that Miis are getting color swaps. The Mii you choose will serve as their "color", so to speak.
What if, instead of alternate colors, the various costumes we've seen act as alternate palettes? It would certainly be simpler and faster than having to customize individual Miis' appearance at a separate menu.

Golnei

I really love some of the new stages that have been presented thus far, but I really hope they go all out and make HD remakes of many of the previous Smash stages.

I really hope some of the classics return, such as Corneria, Green Greens, Pokemon Stadium, Dream Land, and Temple.

HD remodels of old stages are something I actually wouldn't mind buying as DLC - they're technically not 'new' content, so people who don't buy them aren't really cheated, while still being a nice bonus for those who care about them.

tmdorsey

Honestly, I would have preferred Tharja over the avatar. She could have had some nice taunts. I'm happy though that FE:Awakening got so much love though

Golnei

He'd fit as a great bonus character in a new Mad World, at least...Or just make a F-Zero Brawler like Mad World and put Jack as a Bonus Character...Please? Please Sakurai and Kamiya?

The Blacker Baron in F-Zero is something I never knew I wanted until now. Imagine the metal/jazz fusion version of Look Pimpin'.

Nope! I don't think so. I think if you one person chooses the Mii called "Evan", no one else can pick Evan's Mii again. I DO think, though, that you can have 2 completely identical Miis--Evan and Bob--and use them both in the same match. The "Player 1" or "Blue Team" flag above the players would be what you'd have to depend on to differentiate.

Maybe. That's my guess.

I, again, think you're correct here. However it works, Mii Fighters will involve extra layers of selection unlike any other character. While I think they probably share one tile, I do still think it's possible they could be split up.

But the way they're listed on the Dojo doesn't indicate that.

georly

HD remodels of old stages are something I actually wouldn't mind buying as DLC - they're technically not 'new' content, so people who don't buy them aren't really cheated, while still being a nice bonus for those who care about them.

Stages are the trickiest dlc. At least for dlc characters you can still play AGAINST the dlc characters, you just can't use them. Stages are different because it means that you can't play on them unless you pay for them, which sucks if a friend online payed for them, but you didn't, then they can't use them. OR, if they can pick it, it discourages more people from buying the DLC because 'hey, my friend can already pick it, so I don't need to buy it.'

Cse

Banned

I definitely wouldn't mind either (depending on the stages). I'm just not sure that's something Nintendo would be willing to do.

There are some old stages that I would love to see remade in HD - Saffron City, Fourside, Hyrule Castle, Great Bay, Onett...

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Sourpuss alert!

Little Mac, Mega Man, and Pac-Man are the only newcomers I'm really excited about. I'm kinda stoked for Palutena, but the nonsense about her moves is concerning.

I guess my puss is souring mostly over the Mii fighters and Lucina. I'm not feeling it.

Shulk would be cool, but I hope the influx of sword users doesn't mean that Takamaru's resurrection via Smash 4 isn't out of the cards.

Anbec7

Holy crap SmashGAF I just went outside for like 2 hours and 12 pages to read?
Interesting the tidbits from Gamexplain but I do hope we get more information thanks to the pic of the day!

Golnei

Stages are the trickiest dlc. At least for dlc characters you can still play AGAINST the dlc characters, you just can't use them. Stages are different because it means that you can't play on them unless you pay for them, which sucks if a friend online payed for them, but you didn't, then they can't use them. OR, if they can pick it, it discourages more people from buying the DLC because 'hey, my friend can already pick it, so I don't need to buy it.'

Perhaps they could only allow the choice of stage when both parties have bought it? That'd work when playing with specific people, but I'm not sure how it'd be handled in anonymous online.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Here is a legit question about Ray Man Trophy.

Why Ubisoft isn't on copyright list? Even they already confirmed a presence of Ubisoft's franchise.

Village

So, I threw this together today due to hype and hearing people ask for more Smash wallpapers. I wanted to get you guys' opinion on it. This is really rough (some of the squares don't line up and such), but do you think it would be worth it to make a higher res version of this:

g90tGCa.png

I did this pretty quickly, I just wanted to be able to show the basic idea for the wallpaper. If you guys dig it, I'll make a higher res version and keep adding characters as they're announced. Let me know what you think!

I dig it,

However are you going to do something with the background behind the boxes? If so could I get psd or whatever you are using so I can add something to it?

Sourpuss alert!

Little Mac, Mega Man, and Pac-Man are the only newcomers I'm really excited about. I'm kinda stoked for Palutena, but the nonsense about her moves is concerning.

I guess my puss is souring mostly over the Mii fighters and Lucina. I'm not feeling it.

Shulk would be cool, but I hope the influx of sword users doesn't mean that Takamaru's resurrection via Smash 4 isn't out of the cards.

Lucina was a blindside and I was definitely expecting Chrom over her, yet I think her inclusion makes sense. You know people were complaining about "oh geez three blue-haired swordsmen, UGH"? I think adding some gender variety to that makes things more interesting.

And hey, now that the Gematsu leak is in question, I wouldn't count out Takamaru just yet. There's still hope! :)

Rychu Supadude

Neo Member
So after Charizard and Captain Falcon both appeared in a newcomer's trailer and had it treated as an official reveal, I'm just about prepared to declare Mr. Game & Watch and all the "retro" characters dead in the water. I'm NEVER usually this pessimistic, but there's a distinct focus on newer characters in this game, and ALL of the revealed characters have had their own game within the last decade...

It's probably just my usual crazy blathering, but I won't be able to let out that anxious breath that I'm holding in until the day when they're finally revealed.

I'm going with...I'm gonna get shit for this, but 55.
There's 9 characters I just can't see going anywhere, plus Shulk and Chorus Men. On top of that, there's still 4 Brawl vets (Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Lucas) 5 Melee Vets (Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Pichu), and 4 cut Brawl characters (Dixie, Toon Zelda, Tetra, and Plusle and Minun). But, more importantly, Lucina seems like a strong indicator that Sakurai is including clones this time, making that 55 number way easier to hit. Considering the fact that possibly 8 of those characters are largely clones...I think 50 is definitely happening, with 55 possible.
But really, we'll have to wait and see. It's nice that it's more of a guessing game again. I love it.

I actually agree with you completely. If Lucina as a Marth clone is in, then I honestly don't see other clones getting cut. At all. I'm honestly confused as to why everyone touts this 47 + Random as a fact or something.

Game & Watch - Not going anywhere.
R.O.B. - Here to stay. Don't see why he'd be cut.
Ganondorf - Can't see him leaving. Actually I see him getting something of a Bowser-style revamp maybe.
Falco - Like all Melee vets, I feel he's safe as a clone for reasons expanded upon further below.
Wolf - I think he's safe. Good SF villain, unique feel to the character. Give him a new FS and change his specials a little and nobody will ever call him a clone again.
Wario - Obviously not cut.
Meta Knight - Also a shoo-in.
Ness - Not a chance of him being cut if you ask me.
Lucas - SalRomano leaker had bred it into people's heads that Lucas is in danger, but I don't see it at all. Especially with a Lucina Marth clone and a Dark Pit clone hinted at (IMO). I think clones are safe. Especially one as unique as Lucas. Plus, Lucas is a character Sakurai has wanted in since Melee. It's just bizarre how this narrative formed that says Lucas is in particular danger.
Jigglypuff - One of original 12, which I believe are untouchable at this point, despite the fact that she wasn't planned for Brawl until the last minute. I think Sakurai could showcase Fairy type with a few changes to her.
Ice Climbers - Melee vet, I'd call them a mainstay at this point.

That's 11 vets that I sincerely believe will not be cut. The only Brawl vets in real danger are Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle. So that alone puts us at 47. And I know we haven't seen all the newcomers. Here is how I think the rest if the roster will pan out:

+11 Brawl vets mentioned above

Shulk - I think parts of the leak hold up, and this is a part I'm willing to believe. It makes a lot of sense. Though we clearly didn't see him today, I think we will.

Chorus Kids or Equivalent - Adding a RH character is something I would love, and something I think Sakurai would totally do. Even if it's not the Chorus Kids as the leak states, I believe a RH character isn't a far fetched idea.

Takamaru - This is one character I feel good about. Sakurai always tries to pick a character from the retro age to revive, and with Little Mac not really fitting that profile due to his recent Wii game, I think Takamaru is a good candidate. Plus I think he presents a cool parallel to Little Mac as a Japan-centric character.

Ridley - No, I'm not kidding. I'm not dredging out any old arguments, and I'm not looking to debate this. I have my reasons for having the feeling I do about Ridley.

Dark Pit - I may be wrong, but I feel like now I can settle on Dark Pit being a clone of Pit now that we've seen Lucina. It'd explain why he was in Palutena's reveal trailer.

Mewtwo - I think Mewtwo is returning. Sakurai knows the fans want him. He's one of the most iconic Pokemon, and has a Mega for a new FS. If we get him back I'd expect him to be pretty different from Melee.

That brings us to 53, plus Random is 54 slots total, easily made symmetrical with 6 rows of 9. Though I could maybe see another clone (Louie clone of Olimar using Rock Pikmin is my bet), bringing us to 55 (5 rows of 11).

I'm just glad this is up for discussion again and that leak is stifling speculation.

SmithnCo

Splitting the userbase like that is always kinda tricky. I'd prefer free stages if possible, along with paid characters.

PSASBR handled it okay, I think you could play on a stage if the person who bought it picks it, but those were rolled out with character packs, so they were kinda like a bonus.

Duderz

Banned
Before this reveal, I was really hoping Demise could've made an appearance in the game. But assuming Shulk is still in, that would be about 10 characters with swords which is probably more than enough.

SS_Demise.png

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Lucina was a blindside and I was definitely expecting Chrom over her, yet I think her inclusion makes sense. You know people were complaining about "oh geez three blue-haired swordsmen, UGH"? I think adding some gender variety to that makes things more interesting.

And hey, now that the Gematsu leak is in question, I wouldn't count out Takamaru just yet. There's still hope! :)

I dunno. I'm not confident enough with Takamaru's position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom