• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.
untitled-13qpeaw.gif

This needs to say Knee of Justice and someone needs to edit captain falcon's helmet onto Germany's boss keeper!

So glad the Captain is back, putting those Fire Emblem characters in their place
I love fire emblem characters too :)

jph139

Watching the trailer again (...a few times) I'm pretty sure there's not going to be any stance changing for Robin. Thunder is chargeable for sure (see 1:26 in the video) - how big you charge it = Thunder, Arcthunder, Elthunder, Thoron. Seems like a Standard B. We only ever see Arcfire being used, so I'm assuming that's just what Side B is. Elwind is pretty obviously Up B, with Nosferatu likely being Down B. Female Robin goes from Arcfire to Arcthunder without any visible swapping, so I don't think that's a mechanic.

The only question for me is the other moves that use Tomes but aren't the Specials. Like at 1:20 (hitting Captain Falcon with flames) and at 1:40 (multihit on Kirby with wind). I'm not sure if those are a locked part of the moveset (in that they're always one element), or they change depending on what your last special was. Either way, I'm curious if they factor into how much "juice" is left in the Tome.

I'm pretty confident on how the Tomes work - it's a limit on how much you can use his specials. For how long, and if they're relevant beyond that, I don't know. The real question is the Levin Sword vs. Bronze Sword...

Golnei

Shadow Dragon didn't have Support Convos. That's the recruitment theme, a theme that plays in Shadow Dragon whenever you talk to a character during battle and they join your side afterwards. I liked most of Awakening's OST, but I hated how there was no cheesy recruitment theme...

If they chose to, the DLC boss theme would have been a good fit for Awakening's recruitment theme.

I'm starting to think Robin may just join Palutena and the Miis as one of those 'a bunch of special moves' characters. I feel like that would have just been highlighted originally though.
Watching the color of her tome change without instigating it was definitely strange. Any possibility throwing away the tome is just a taunt and there is no deeper mechanic that was seemingly alluded to?

yeah it is strange (i really do think for some reason the 4 tombs are based on the special button) and allows you to change the spells on the fly. But yeah there is a possibly the mechanic might just be simpler from than what we may think as well lol

Moonlight

Banned
The only question for me is the other moves that use Tomes but aren't the Specials. Like at 1:20 (hitting Captain Falcon with flames) and at 1:40 (multihit on Kirby with wind). I'm not sure if those are a locked part of the moveset (in that they're always one element), or they change depending on what your last special was. Either way, I'm curious if they factor into how much "juice" is left in the Tome.
The close-ranged wind attack is pretty clearly Robin's normal jab, I think. Doubt it's affected by your last used tome.

The Palutena related PoTDs after that 'leak' was an incredible troll move by him
Never forget Pseudo-Palutena.

kirby_fox

Banned
Anyone have dates for when each character was announced?

I know someone does, I just don't know how to search 3000 pages to find it.

So, with what we saw today, we now have an extra character that breaks apart the "47 characters + random" people had decided on. That roster cut Snake and Lucas and didn't add anybody not in the Sal Romano leak or Mewtwo.

Now, even if we substitute Robin for Chrom, we also got Lucina. So for the 47 character roster to still stand, another veteran will need to be cut.

For this discussion, please let's also assume Lucina has a selection tile. We don't need that argument interfering with this conversation. Whether you personally believe it one way or another.

So what are we looking at now?

Are we expecting MORE characters than the 47 people were so sure on? Or are we considering the loss of another veteran?

Personally, I never found the 48 tile roster convincing. Just because two screens of 24 fit nicely on a 3DS doesn't mean we couldn't have a single scrolling menu of tiles or even three pages advanced through with L and R. 48 tiles also never left room for DLC characters we are expecting.

ALSO, there is the distinct possibility that the Mii Fighters could have three separate tiles. We don't know how they are selected at all.

I think, even if we have an incomplete bottom row like Melee had, we should expect more than 47 characters + Random now. Since, unless we are losing more veterans, we are already at 48. There aren't really any more veterans that feel expendable and any more cuts at this point would probably be very unpopular.

But I'll tell you, I'm uneasy about Game and Watch not being officially revealed despite being in Pac Man's video.

screen-4hhj5w.jpg

STOP THE PRESSES!

Hold the laments for Ridley, the uncertainty of Chrom, and the endless discussion of alt Lucina vs. clone Lucina. Did anyone else catch the music once Captain Falcon let and the Fire Emblem crew started fighting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9ytrX0wweA&feature=player_detailpage#t=89

You might think it's merely Fire Emblem music, from a Fire Emblem level. However, it's actually ultimate Captain Falcon music from the ultimate Captain Falcon level. Let us return to a kinder, simpler time. A time of 240p YouTube videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37ER1zpg_F4

Merely a coincidence? Very probably, but it made ME happy.

I'd like to think Sakurai saw this old video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5brbBJRwYjk

Neiteio

Watching the trailer again (...a few times) I'm pretty sure there's not going to be any stance changing for Robin. Thunder is chargeable for sure (see 1:26 in the video) - how big you charge it = Thunder, Arcthunder, Elthunder, Thoron. Seems like a Standard B. We only ever see Arcfire being used, so I'm assuming that's just what Side B is. Elwind is pretty obviously Up B, with Nosferatu likely being Down B. Female Robin goes from Arcfire to Arcthunder without any visible swapping, so I don't think that's a mechanic.

I'm pretty confident on how the Tomes work - it's a limit on how much you can use his specials. For how long, and if they're relevant beyond that, I don't know. The real question is the Levin Sword vs. Bronze Sword...
Wow, awesome analysis. If you had to guess, what do you think happens when Robin runs out of "juice?" Do you just wait a bit for it to recharge and smack people with your Levin Sword in the meanwhile?

Great post, I think you nailed it with the special moves

Hatchtag

Banned
Man, I took a nap earlier today and had a dream that Nintendo announced they were taking region locking out ahead of the Smash Bros launch. I was gonna be so happy, man. :/.

jph139

The close-ranged wind attack is pretty clearly Robin's normal jab, I think. Doubt it's affected by your last used tome.

It's entirely possible that if you're on "Fire" it'll have a fire effect/be of that element, damage-wise - same attack, different graphics. I agree that it's likely unrelated, though. However...

Wow, awesome analysis. If you had to guess, what do you think happens when Robin runs out of "juice?" Do you just wait a bit for it to recharge and smack people with your Levin Sword in the meanwhile?

That's what I'm curious about. Let's say Robin's jab uses a Tome - Elwind, for example. You've used up your Elwind and Robin's tossed it away. Do you still have it for your jab? If so, it's strange that he tossed it away just a moment ago but can still pull out another copy. But if you can't use it anymore at all, including your normals, what happens instead?

In general, though, I'd guess that your Tomes only last for your stock. Which should have some interesting gameplay - missing your Thoron would be WAY bigger than missing your shot with Samus. Spending too much time mid-air trying to edgeguard leaves your Elwind empty for when you have to recover. That sort of thing.

Another idea is that you'll just be seriously gimped - you'll just have access to the E-Rank versions of the Tomes. Wind, Fire, Thunder, Flux. You can still use your specials but they're all worse. Thunder wouldn't be chargeable, for example. That seems less likely to me, though, since they specifically tied the Thunder ranks to charge power for his Neutral B.

So, with what we saw today, we now have an extra character that breaks apart the "47 characters + random" people had decided on. That roster cut Snake and Lucas and didn't add anybody not in the Sal Romano leak or Mewtwo.

Now, even if we substitute Robin for Chrom, we also got Lucina. So for the 47 character roster to still stand, another veteran will need to be cut.

For this discussion, please let's also assume Lucina has a selection tile. We don't need that argument interfering with this conversation. Whether you personally believe it one way or another.

Are we expecting MORE characters than the 47 people were so sure on? Or are we considering the loss of another veteran?

Personally, I never found the 48 tile roster convincing. Just because two screens of 24 fit nicely on a 3DS doesn't mean we couldn't have a single scrolling menu of tiles or even three pages advanced through with L and R. 48 tiles also never left room for DLC characters we are expecting.

ALSO, there is the distinct possibility that the Mii Fighters could have three separate tiles. We don't know how they are selected at all.

I think, even if we have an incomplete bottom row like Melee had, we should expect more than 47 characters + Random now. Since, unless we are losing more veterans, we are already at 48. There aren't really any more veterans that feel expendable and any more cuts at this point would probably be very unpopular.

But I'll tell you, I'm uneasy about Game and Watch not being officially revealed despite being in Pac Man's video.

I'll stick with the 47 + Random figure: not only does it fit the 3DS screen perfectly, I think 47 characters is just a sensible number of characters for the game. To get to 50+ characters, you really have to start scraping the bottom of the barrel. So we'll have two pages of characters, and if there's DLC, there will be a third page just for that. As for the particulars:

Three slots for Mii Fighters seems needlessly clumsy when they could just have all three Miis on one tile and have you click on the one you want, a la Pokemon Trainer. Regarding cuts, assuming Snake and Lucas are already cut, the third one I'd say would get the axe is Wolf. He was about as similar to Fox and Falco as Lucas was to Ness, wasn't he? If they see fit to cut Lucas, then I don't think Wolf's prospects are too good (sorry, Boss Doggie.) Finally, Game and Watch: it doesn't make any sense to me that Sakurai would put him in a trailer only to have him not show up in the final game. On top of that, he's a Melee vet, so he clearly has some staying power in the series. He'll be in.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
jaN9OYs.png

My rough, ROUGH 'shop of a Proto Man alt.

Are you suggesting that you burn through a book and are just...done for that stock?

It's entirely possible that if you're on "Fire" it'll have a fire effect/be of that element, damage-wise - same attack, different graphics. I agree that it's likely unrelated, though. However...

That's what I'm curious about. Let's say Robin's jab uses a Tome - Elwind, for example. You've used up your Elwind and Robin's tossed it away. Do you still have it for your jab? If so, it's strange that he tossed it away just a moment ago but can still pull out another copy. But if you can't use it anymore at all, including your normals, what happens instead?

In general, though, I'd guess that your Tomes only last for your stock. Which should have some interesting gameplay - missing your Thoron would be WAY bigger than missing your shot with Samus. Spending too much time mid-air trying to edgeguard leaves your Elwind empty for when you have to recover. That sort of thing.

Another idea is that you'll just be seriously gimped - you'll just have access to the E-Rank versions of the Tomes. Wind, Fire, Thunder, Flux. You can still use your specials but they're all worse. Thunder wouldn't be chargeable, for example. That seems less likely to me, though, since they specifically tied the Thunder ranks to charge power for his Neutral B.

the only thing though is that we can see female robin release a thoron without any indication of charging as well

jph139

Are you suggesting that you burn through a book and are just...done for that stock?

I think so. The way he tosses it away like an item suggests to me it's just like that - when you use up a Super Scope, for example, it doesn't recharge, it's just gone. Not that I'm saying it's impossible, of course - pure speculation on my part.

Either way, pretty sure your specials will be unusable until you get that Tome back (by whatever means). Or at least severely gimped.

the only thing though is that we can see female robin release a thoron without any indication of charging as well

She also releases an Arcthunder near the end without charging, either; I'm assuming you can hold the charge, though it is strange there's no visual indication of her holding a Thoron.

SkyOdin

The Levin Sword is probably pretty simple: After you hit the enemy with the Levin sword a certain number of times it will break and be replaced with the Bronze sword. There might be a mechanism to replace it, though. It is probably going to be about 25 hits, if they are aiming t stay true to the source material.

EDIT: You know, I'm not convinced there is actually any charging going on. While there is a close-up of Robin who looks like he is charging, it is hard to discern any charge-up for most of the Thunder spells. And female-Robin definitely throws out Arc-thunder without charging and no clear visible sign of holding a charge. The way the video is cut makes it hard to be sure of much.

I think so. The way he tosses it away like an item suggests to me it's just like that - when you use up a Super Scope, for example, it doesn't recharge, it's just gone. Not that I'm saying it's impossible, of course - pure speculation on my part.

Either way, pretty sure your specials will be unusable until you get that Tome back (by whatever means). Or at least severely gimped.

She also releases an Arcthunder near the end without charging, either; I'm assuming you can hold the charge, though it is strange there's no visual indication of her holding a Thoron.

yeah although maybe the charge isnt a long one? i did see a split second lighting flash that appeared on the screen and a slight flash when she went from arc fire to arc thunder hmmm if anything this moveset is super interesting also looking back at the trailer again i think robins a badass for charging at two legendary swordsmen with a bronze sword lol

Someone suggested that he works like Ice Climbers before, and maybe you're right. Maybe all four tomes can be charged, and have limited uses. Once you burn through them, you are stuck with the lowest level of each attack until you get taken out. The Levin Sword works the same way: after so many times hitting an opponent, it breaks, and you swap to the Bronze Sword until the stock is over.

It would certainly be a unique play experience. He would be the only character that has to manage resources.

Hatchtag

Banned

I'm going with...I'm gonna get shit for this, but 55.
There's 9 characters I just can't see going anywhere, plus Shulk and Chorus Men. On top of that, there's still 4 Brawl vets (Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Lucas) 5 Melee Vets (Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Pichu), and 4 cut Brawl characters (Dixie, Toon Zelda, Tetra, and Plusle and Minun). But, more importantly, Lucina seems like a strong indicator that Sakurai is including clones this time, making that 55 number way easier to hit. Considering the fact that possibly 8 of those characters are largely clones...I think 50 is definitely happening, with 55 possible.
But really, we'll have to wait and see. It's nice that it's more of a guessing game again. I love it.

The Levin Sword is probably pretty simple: After you hit the enemy with the Levin sword a certain number of times it will break and be replaced with the Bronze sword. There might be a mechanism to replace it, though. It is probably going to be about 25 hits, if they are aiming t stay true to the source material.

25 hits per stock?

damn son that's too easy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom