• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golnei

I think so. The way he tosses it away like an item suggests to me it's just like that - when you use up a Super Scope, for example, it doesn't recharge, it's just gone. Not that I'm saying it's impossible, of course - pure speculation on my part.

Either way, pretty sure your specials will be unusable until you get that Tome back (by whatever means). Or at least severely gimped.

She also releases an Arcthunder near the end without charging, either; I'm assuming you can hold the charge, though it is strange there's no visual indication of her holding a Thoron.

Perhaps it could be similar to resummoning Pikmin, but with a longer charge? I can't imagine it gimping the character for an entire stock; that'd be lunacy on par with tripping.

I'm so hyped, with the leak not being 100% correct, there's still some mystery in who is in the game! I can't wait to play as Robin, even though being a mage/sword character kind of ruins Isaac's chances.

iZDciizXz9pKg.gif

The most badass thing from any of the trailers. Falcon deflects a sword with his fucking arm.

Yeah I was hyped for Mega Man but the few seconds of Falcon was awesome.

Caladrius

I'm so hyped, with the leak not being 100% correct, there's still some mystery in who is in the game! I can't wait to play as Robin, even though being a mage/sword character kind of ruins Isaac's chances.

Not necessarily. Issac wouldn't have the limited weapon use, and his Psychic powers would be well-suited to a zoning-heavy character.

Guesong

About Robin's Tome Specials...

I'm thinking the power progression might be linear. As in, you get a tome and want to use it's power. Let's say it's Neutral B.

You get the Lightning Tome. Great! Now, your next 4 Neutral B attack will be, in order, Thunder, Arcthunder, Elthunder, Thoron. Then, as the most powerful attack of that element is expanded, Robin throws away the tome.

The next Neutral B will have Robin fetching the next tome from god knows where. Will that be in a predictable sequence, or random? I don't know! But I don't see those as charge attacks, and it'd be a nifty twist (though I admit it'd make him more unreliable in tourneys ; but hey, he IS a tactician, so plan your tactics as well!)

Three slots for Mii Fighters seems needlessly clumsy when they could just have all three Miis on one tile and have you click on the one you want, a la Pokemon Trainer.

This is possible, also likely, but even this doesn't answer all our questions about about how Miis work. Because:

We know multiple Miis can be on the field at once. Multiple Mii Brawlers, for example, can be on stage. So can one of each fighter class. So this means selecting a Mii, if it's like Pokémon Trainer, would require Mii Fighter > Specific Portrait > Which Mii > Cycle for costume color. Mii's cannot be pre-selected because otherwise everyone would have to play the same Mii, so we know you must choose which Mii you want to use on the character selection screen.

This method isn't impossible, but it also means a lot of actions to select your character.

If they are individual tiles, the amount of input required to play as your Mii is reduced. Again, this doesn't mean it will be this way, but from a design perspective individual tiles might be advantageous.

Neiteio

It's entirely possible that if you're on "Fire" it'll have a fire effect/be of that element, damage-wise - same attack, different graphics. I agree that it's likely unrelated, though. However...

That's what I'm curious about. Let's say Robin's jab uses a Tome - Elwind, for example. You've used up your Elwind and Robin's tossed it away. Do you still have it for your jab? If so, it's strange that he tossed it away just a moment ago but can still pull out another copy. But if you can't use it anymore at all, including your normals, what happens instead?

In general, though, I'd guess that your Tomes only last for your stock. Which should have some interesting gameplay - missing your Thoron would be WAY bigger than missing your shot with Samus. Spending too much time mid-air trying to edgeguard leaves your Elwind empty for when you have to recover. That sort of thing.

Another idea is that you'll just be seriously gimped - you'll just have access to the E-Rank versions of the Tomes. Wind, Fire, Thunder, Flux. You can still use your specials but they're all worse. Thunder wouldn't be chargeable, for example. That seems less likely to me, though, since they specifically tied the Thunder ranks to charge power for his Neutral B.
The idea of expandable "ammo" for specials, tied to each stock, is both exciting and scary. :-O

BY2K

Membero Americo
iZDciizXz9pKg.gif

The most badass thing from any of the trailers. Falcon deflects a sword with his fucking arm.

You'll notice his legs (and maybe arms) have steel/iron pads.

aka. Captain Falcon prep time.

Also, Mega Man vs Toon Link rivalry.

EDIT: Nope, those are just gloves. Captain Falcon is a badass.

Neiteio

We need a stylish character action game starring Captain Falcon soooooo bad

God Hand x F-Zero: Falcon Punch, co-directed by Kamiya and Mikami

I doubt Sal's going to get an legitimate response from the leaker about this.

For now it's best to write off the Gematsu leak as thus:

E3 2013 is 6/6 no point in debating it, everything after that is in limbo or just crap depending on your perspective.
Well he also said that Mii, Pacman and Little Mac were gonna be revealed at E3 2013 and he got that wrong. So he has some of the right info but who knows to what extent how much things change behind the scenes. Maybe Sakurai was gonna reveal Shulk but since most expected him he decided to do a different reveal. Or maybe early in development Shulk was gonna be in the roster but Sakurai decided to replace him with Robin. Who knows.

This is possible, also likely, but even this doesn't answer all our questions about about how Miis work. Because:

We know multiple Miis can be on the field at once. Multiple Mii Brawlers, for example, can be on stage. So can one of each fighter class. So this means selecting a Mii, if it's like Pokémon Trainer, would require Mii Fighter > Specific Portrait > Which Mii > Cycle for costume color. Mii's cannot be pre-selected because otherwise everyone would have to play the same Mii, so we know you must choose which Mii you want to use on the character selection screen.

This method isn't impossible, but it also means a lot of actions to select your character.

If they are individual tiles, the amount of input required to play as your Mii is reduced. Again, this doesn't mean it will be this way, but from a design perspective individual tiles might be advantageous.

Bro, there's no way that Miis are getting color swaps. The Mii you choose will serve as their "color", so to speak.

Makai

How different will Lucina be? She looks like a Marth costume in the trailer, but it'd be neat if she were a faster/lighter version of Marth.

flohen95

So the Robin theme is the Fire Emblem Melee theme which is the Support Convo Shadow Dragon theme?

That theme has a long history in the Fire Emblem series, being around since Fire Emblem on the Famicom. That's why it was used in a remix along with the Fire Emblem theme for the Fire Emblem Meele music. Probably the most memorable theme aside from the main one, in part thanks to Melee.

It's been used in FE1, in two variations in FE3, in FE7 and FE11 and 12 (same as in 11). Also, of course, in Meele, with that version being reused for Brawl. Mostly, I've heard it being refered to as "Together We Ride", since that was the songs name in the music player of Fire Emblem (7) on the GBA, aka the first to make it west.

I wouldn't refer to it as Robin's theme, though. They have pretty much nothing to do with each other except it being used in the trailer as background music. But that's probably due to the song's popularity.

Durden77

Does anyone else think that if Lucina is indeed a clone, part of the reason Sakurai added her was just to make it up to himself that he cut Roy?

He really seems to hate cutting characters, Roy was planned to be in Brawl, and he's one of the Melee clones still has a bit of a fanbase in Smash. At this point, Sakurai could've still wanted to bring him back, but also realized he was a bit obsolete. Lucina could be his way of making amends for that to himself and maybe even to Roy fans in a way.

SkyOdin

That theme has a long history in the Fire Emblem series, being around since Fire Emblem on the Famicom. That's why it was used in a remix along with the Fire Emblem theme for the Fire Emblem Meele music. Probably the most memorable theme aside from the main one, in part thanks to Melee.

I wouldn't refer to it as Robin's theme, though. They have pretty much nothing to do with each other except it being used in the trailer as background music. But that's probably due to the song's popularity.

The reason the song is playing in Robin's trailer is the same reason it plays when you recruit Marth and Roy in Melee: Let Us Ride Together is an iconic song in the franchise for character recruitment. It usually plays when you meet a newcomer.

Cse

Banned
I know most are still discussing the reveals today, which were huge, but I just realized that we haven't really seen that many new stages lately.

We're currently sitting at 18 stages for Smash 4 (17 new, 1 old).

Smash 64 - 9
Melee - 29 (26 new, 3 old)
Brawl - 41 (31 new, 10 old)

Would it be safe to say that we have at least 36 new stages in Smash 4, with at least 10 returning stages?

Hatchtag

Banned
I know most are still discussing the reveals today, which were huge, but I just realized that we haven't really seen that many new stages lately.

We're currently sitting at 18 stages for Smash 4 (17 new, 1 old).

Smash 64 - 9
Melee - 29 (26 new, 3 old)
Brawl - 41 (31 new, 10 old)

Would it be safe to say that we have at least 36 new stages in Smash 4, with at least 10 returning stages?

I tallied up the numbers in another post, but assuming each franchise shown gets 1 new stage per version, we'll easily sit at 36 stages before past stages on both versions.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Based off what little we know, Lucina is doing everything that I didn't want to see happen, and it was the reason why I wasn't interested in her inclusion. She is visually uninteresting, there is no real need for a girl Marth, and she may end up making Marth a worse character ovrerall. Taking away some of Marth's speed to attempt and make Lucina's cloney moveset more unique isn't appealing to me.

georly

iZDciizXz9pKg.gif

This makes me want a sakurai-directed, platinum-developed captain falcon game. Not F-Zero, but a game starring captain falcon, doing his captain falcon things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom