• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

tumblr_n8qgv5hEyf1qkirt7o3_500.png

tumblr_n8qgv5hEyf1qkirt7o4_500.png

random25

Surprised with the number of Megaman reveal as their best. I'm expecting the Little Mac or the Lucina/Robin reveal to get more mentions. Cool stuff!

NeonZ

I dunno, people said Lucas and Wolf are clones yet they have their own attacks and animations.

That's why I think Sakurai won't bother giving many unique attacks or animations to Lucina (and other possible new clones). The Brawl clones were received just as... clones by most players, in spite of having more work put into them than the Melee clones. So, all the work to differentiate their attacks seems to have been mostly wasted.

I'd actually really like it if we got 6 or so unlockable clones like in Melee, it could lead to some unexpected characters popping up.

Also with corocoro saying it'll reveal everyone next month do you think we'll get more newcomer trailers not tied to anything over the next few weeks?
CoroCoro also said they'd reveal everyone for Brawl but basically just gave old information not covering any of the unlockable content at all, aside from Snake and Sonic, who were already known anyway.

random25

I dunno, people said Lucas and Wolf are clones yet they have their own attacks and animations.

Weird that they are considered clones by some, especially in Brawl. Ness/Lucas and Fox/Falco/Wolf are comparable to Mario/Luigi pair. Mario and Luigi may share a good amount of movesets, but their attacks have different effects and how they play are very different.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
None of these are the best, everyone knows the Charizard/Greninja trailer was the best one.

Which has also lead to fears that Squirtle and Ivysaur have been cut. It is the only trailer to do that and thus it really should be placed at the bottom. In some ways it is the opposite of yesterdays trailer that has made people more optimistic about the future.

Formless

Man if she has the exact same animations and speed..even Falco had slightly different properties outside of offensive stuff didn't he?

JoeInky

After everyone was fussing over Captain Falcon and fears of him getting cut, there's very little hype surrounding him.

I'm sorry but what?

Are we talking about this site only or the rest of the internet?

There was a 300 post thread on /v/ with nothing but falcon's "YES" and the "SHOW YA MOVES" on the reveal day, as well as 40 other threads hyping him (and another 40 threads complaining that so many people were posting about smash)

There are still threads being made about him now whereas anything related to lucina and robin is complaining about the fact that they're in the game, asking who the fuck they are or just talking about how they were all going to be destroyed by falcon.

VeeP

Canonically, doesn't Marth also use Falchion? So how come his sword looks so different compared to Chroms/Lucinas?

JoeInky

Which has also lead to fears that Squirtle and Ivysaur have been cut. It is the only trailer to do that and thus it really should be placed at the bottom. In some ways it is the opposite of yesterdays trailer that has made people more optimistic about the future.

This recent trailer has lead to fears that game and watch is going to be cut for some people, simply because he had a cameo in another trailer but then wasn't mentioned at all on the website or anything, unlike falcon.

So I wouldn't say it's the only one that's done that if this one has got people thinking things like that.

I had a thought. If Sakurai/Namco end up buffing aerials based on feedback they got (which is good), what happens to Mac? Does he stay the same and end up much weaker amongst the entire cast or does he get his aerials buffed (which kinda goes against the point of the character)?

Maybe he gets his ground moves buffed which would be ludicrous although it's a lateral way to solve that problem.

Spinluck

If your aim is to avoid roster spoilers, you're going to have to cutoff the internet ENTIRELY. Good luck with that :p

It will be easy for me, I only visit gaming side for Smash and don't visit game sites much, so it won't be that hard for me to do. Plus I will be working more in the fall and taking more college courses.

The characters do not matter too much to me right now, I'm already satisfied with what we have. I would like surprise, but honestly it's just me focusing on school and getting as much done before Smash 3DS.

Skele7on

Banned
Has there been any whispers of a special edition WiiU or 3ds for Smash?

The reason I ask is I am seriously tempted by a WiiU offer but will kick myself if a super mega bundle is on the way.

Thanks guys!!

RiggyRob

You know shit's gone down when you come back from holiday for five days and find a whole new OT waiting for you.

Just to recap - Rayman's a trophy, Captain Falcon's back, Lucina's playable but is mostly a Marth clone with a few minor differences, Robin is playable as both male and female, and Chrom is Robin's Final Smash, right?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So a month ago a user named Garfield64 made this post on gamefaqs

He now claims he has been a leaking information for over 14 years (his account was created in 2000, and has been active). He says he is a game tester in Japan.

He claims a lot of his leak get shot down and modded.

How does SmashGaf feel about this. The part about Gematsu being correct, except Lucina is in over Chrom has a lot of peoples attention atm. Sorry if this has been brought up already.

That's interesting, but why he didn't called out for Robin tho. I think he got lucky tho.

Pic of the day. Along with Robin, Lucina joins the battle!! Her physical ablilites are identical to Marth's--it must be in her D.N.A. However, where Marth's power is concentrated in the tip of the sword, Lucina's attack strength is balanced throughout the weapon, which might make her easier to control. She's also a little bit shorter than Marth.

With the Wii Fit Trainers, the male and female Robins, the Villagers, and Little Mac, varying their appearances and voices works just like selecting alternate color variations. However, whenever there is even a small difference in abilities, that character gets an actual roster slot. That is why you can select Lucina individually.

By the way…there's probably no chance you'll be able to see this in the game, but Lucina has the mark of Naga in her left eye.

I knew that she would get her own slot. It's fantastic update! :)

As much as I love the discussion about buttocks,

ENTIRE ROSTER TO BE REVEALED NEXT MONTH BY COROCORO

nfFBmjD.png

Source: http://corocoro.tv/next/

I will never forget Brawl Coro Coro Update. They said that we would get entire roster, when we only got all confirmed charters that we know on the website. They are trying to overhype the scans so people would pick up the magazine.

Nooooo! Keep it up, those analysis were great!

IIRC his ban will be lifted around July 20th. Can't wait to see Bufo vs Afoni: Clash of the Titan
ic Troll
s.

Actually I think it's July 30 or 31

I will never forget Brawl Coro Coro Update. They said that we would get entire roster, when we only got all confirmed charters that we know on the website. They are trying to overhype the scans so people would pick up the magazine.

IIRC, Sheik wasn't confirmed until she showed up in that Coro Coro Update, so we might get one or two characters revealed there before they appear in the Daily Pics.

JoeInky

I had a thought. If Sakurai/Namco end up buffing aerials based on feedback they got (which is good), what happens to Mac? Does he stay the same and end up much weaker amongst the entire cast or does he get his aerials buffed (which kinda goes against the point of the character)?

Maybe he gets his ground moves buffed which would be ludicrous although it's a lateral way to solve that problem.

From what I remember of the most recent trailer, aerials still aren't buffed.

But if say they did buff it, mac has super armour on a lot of his grounded moves it seems which is meant to let him push through aerial rushdowns and other attacks, a person getting out of an animation quicker isn't going to affect that because the idea of the armour is that you have no fear about going in while the enemies hitbox is still active because you'll end up with an advantage.

That said, mac is going to be weak whatever the case because smash is still a very aerial-focused game just by it's nature as a physics-based platform fighter, literally any character with a good aerial attack or two is going to be able to take him down, especially thanks to the buffed throw knockback meaning it's even easier to get him off stage from center stage.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This recent trailer has lead to fears that game and watch is going to be cut for some people, simply because he had a cameo in another trailer but then wasn't mentioned at all on the website or anything, unlike falcon.

I've not seen any posts say that. I know some silly things are said here, but nothing that bad.

Considering #teamalt was almost solely comprised of Bufo, no crow will be eaten.

There was Mr Layout as well.

JoeInky

I've not seen any posts say that. I know some silly things are said here, but nothing that bad.

I'm talking about the internet at large here, not just GAF, and I can see why some people might think that way, G&W being there but not actually being announced is somewhat peculiar.

NeonZ

Canonically, doesn't Marth also use Falchion? So how come his sword looks so different compared to Chroms/Lucinas?

It's mentioned in dialogue (maybe a support conversation?) that although the blade can't be destroyed, the hilt isn't invincible and was often reforged through the years.

I don't think the blades themselves are identical either though, so it's just an excuse for the new artist wanting to redesign it.

From what I remember of the most recent trailer, aerials still aren't buffed.

But if say they did buff it, mac has super armour on a lot of his grounded moves it seems which is meant to let him push through aerial rushdowns and other attacks, a person getting out of an animation quicker isn't going to affect that because the idea of the armour is that you have no fear about going in while the enemies hitbox is still active because you'll end up with an advantage.

That said, mac is going to be weak whatever the case because smash is still a very aerial-focused game just by it's nature as a physics-based platform fighter, literally any character with a good aerial attack or two is going to be able to take him down, especially thanks to the buffed throw knockback meaning it's even easier to get him off stage from center stage.
From what I remember it looked like Lucina at the least had much less lag. I might be wrong though.

Also yeah Mac probably is at an inherent disadvantage, especially considering most stages aren't FD and therefore involve jumping onto platforms.

JoeInky

From what I remember it looked like Lucina at the least had much less lag. I might be wrong though.

Also yeah Mac probably is at an inherent disadvantage, especially considering most stages aren't FD and therefore involve jumping onto platforms.

It looks like lucina is meant to be what marth was in melee, but without the tipper.

It's probably why Marth's counter was buffed to have a higher damage multiplier like Roy's, likely that Lucina's is the puny version that Marth normally has.

But from what I remember, Bowser seemed to have long lag on his fair.

Platforms would actually be good for mac in a game with buffed throws, it gives him more of an opportunity to get out of a juggle.

With no platforms you just throw him up and then he's at a major disadvantage until he can get right back down to the ground, upthrow upairs are going to be the bane of little macs everywhere in for glory.

Jintor

I keep thinking to myself, goddamn, at some point Iwata and Reggie had to do some kind of greenscreen filming for that stupid Mii Fighter trailer

GAMERG0D

Aβydoς;121104517 said:
I don't believe CoroCoro. They lied to us already.
The Brawl thing was 7 years ago. Also there's most likely going to be an August Nintendo Direct with a lot of Smash content since the game is out soon.

Jaeger

zlCfzSKwYtEL37Kcl3

Pic of the day. Along with Robin, Lucina joins the battle!! Her physical ablilites are identical to Marth's--it must be in her D.N.A. However, where Marth's power is concentrated in the tip of the sword, Lucina's attack strength is balanced throughout the weapon, which might make her easier to control. She's also a little bit shorter than Marth.

zlCfzSKwY_w-zf4Y4w

With the Wii Fit Trainers, the male and female Robins, the Villagers, and Little Mac, varying their appearances and voices works just like selecting alternate color variations. However, whenever there is even a small difference in abilities, that character gets an actual roster slot. That is why you can select Lucina individually.

zlCfzSKwZJU_vGdqsP

By the way…there's probably no chance you'll be able to see this in the game, but Lucina has the mark of Naga in her left eye.

Sakurai had to have been watching the shenanigans in this thread. That's as direct as it gets. Also, I'm more than sure this won't lead to any other clones like this. Lucina was highly requested to be in the next Smash. I'm sure this was to appease fans. Sakurai cares.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Just a consensus: From all the reveal trailers shown so far, which do you think is the best one?

I think that the Megaman reveal is still the best
sorry for the bias :p
. But the last reveal is the equal of it for me.

Hard decision since I really like all trailers the same. Mega Man and Pac Man were the most hype for me since they were my childhood characters.

IIRC, Sheik wasn't confirmed until she showed up in that Coro Coro Update, so we might get one or two characters revealed there before they appear in the Daily Pics.

I thought we found out Sheik's final smash from Coro Coro

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm talking about the internet at large here, not just GAF, and I can see why some people might think that way, G&W being there but not actually being announced is somewhat peculiar.

G&W is more likely to be secret character.

I keep thinking to myself, goddamn, at some point Iwata and Reggie had to do some kind of greenscreen filming for that stupid Mii Fighter trailer

That trailer was so amazing!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Since it was very much a trailer for the fans it's not surprising that it's not on the site though, since that's meant to appeal to all potential consumers who will have no idea who Iwata and Reggie are. That it was a bit info heavy and was also for Amiibos. But despite making the Miis trailerless on the official site it is still one of the best reveals.

JoeInky

Little macs dair being a dive attack like greninja or ZSS with priority and low endlag would be helpful for making it so he can't be so easily juggled.

Either that or he'll just have to try to stick to battlefield and FD will be a counterpick stage.

?oe?oe

I don't think all the characters revealed are going to be starting characters. Some obvious ones like Pac Man and Mega Man would surely need to be unlocked.

Still... dat G&W and C Falcon reveals, though G&W still no page :(.

Jintor

I know it was amazing

it was also stupid as hell

It made me want to make that dumb 'gaming auteur fighting game select screen' I've been thinking about for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom