• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golnei

So true, but Nintendo was bragging about how nice that went for them lately, weren't they?
So what brands are you predicting for Smash(-Items)?

mountaindew.jpg

They already hired Keighley for the Invitational, it's only a matter of time.

I wonder if her final smash will be critical hit, or if they'll actually bother with a new one.

Miis and Lucina are the only new comers we don't know their final smashes for, right?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Actually, come to think of it, the thing I want to know more than the roster is the stages. We have more characters than Brawl, we have more items, but stages we actually know very few of.

Including Battlefield and Final Destination, we only know 18 stages on both platforms, which is a lot less per game than Brawl and Melee had, and I guess I'm starting to feel that the decision to make the 3DS and WiiU versions have different stages is going to make each game have a lot less stages overall.

Jintor

i get immensely irritated at the people who just continually mention how they don't know what franchise characters are from, but I know why they do it so that you can contextualise their remarks and then, in turn, dismiss them utterly

M4sGcrg.png

You don't say...

Wait, hearing Marth is what led him on to realizing he's a guy? He sounded pretty girly to me. Honestly, the only thing that led me to thinking Marth was a guy were the proportions and the name.

It's kind of interesting that this whole Newcomer debacle happened with Lucina. I wonder if they'll be introducing bite-sized content announcements alongside larger reveals with potential clones in the future. I don't necessarily mind the inclusion of clones as long as they're forward about it, and, hey - if you can have up to three different specials per character, you could potentially have two different clones on your hands. Something like this:

Original Character has Neutral Special 1, Up Special 1, Side Special 1, and Down Special 1, but also has Specials 2 and 3 available.

Clone 1 has Specials 2.

Clone 2 has Specials 3.

This would also be a pretty nice way of officially consolidating certain clones, for example the Space Animals. All of them have one another's Blaster variations, Flash options, etc. but Falco and Wolf would have the second and third variations as their default specials. It might be worth labeling said characters as clones, though. If they were just forward in their intent of keeping fan favorites in to please them on top of exploring those custom Specials in the event that competitive Smash 4 doesn't allow for them, I don't think I'd mind their inclusion as much. Honestly, I was really hoping Falco just became a Fox alt because I think the Smash team is trying to hard too make the two different with every installment, but an explicit "clone" label that noted Dark Pit, Lucina, Falco, Pichu, Noxus, etc. as such would be cool. I'm hoping Sakurai coming out and noting Lucina as an explicit Melee-style clone is likewise clarifying that not-quite-clones in Brawl are going out of their way to get more unique movesets, for example Luigi and Ganondorf.

JediLink

Actually, come to think of it, the thing I want to know more than the roster is the stages. We have more characters than Brawl, we have more items, but stages we actually know very few of.

Including Battlefield and Final Destination, we only know 18 stages on both platforms, which is a lot less per game than Brawl and Melee had, and I guess I'm starting to feel that the decision to make the 3DS and WiiU versions have different stages is going to make each game have a lot less stages overall.
What I want to know is what Melee stages will be in. Yoshi's Story's gotta come back.
250px-Yoshi'sStory.PNG

Hoping for Fountain of Dreams and Temple too. Maybe even Pokefloats.

On another note, since we're getting so close to the release date, I think this is when more and more actual legitimate leaks are going to start popping up amongst the fakes. That'll be something to look forward to.

Jaeger

i get immensely irritated at the people who just continually mention how they don't know what franchise characters are from, but I know why they do it so that you can contextualise their remarks and then, in turn, dismiss them utterly

Agreed. By now, you should know what the hell Fire Emblem is. Unless you were born yesterday.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It's interesting that the general reaction to nonchalantly dropping an update with a RAYMAN trophy was "wow, that's interesting, but the reveal is still gonna be Shulk, that's too obvious". He was clearly foreshadowing the fact that our expectations were about to be blasted away like last week's leftover Team Rocket, and we completely failed to pick up on it.

If Rayman's trophy turns out to not have been leading up to Ubisoft representation, or third-party cameos, or anything major at all, then I will laugh my ass off every time I collect it in the middle of a completely ordinary Trophy Smasher game. Sometimes "wut" moments do come true!

I'm pretty sure that they are trying to mask the dissapoontment of Rayman being trophy with newcomer trailer. However it got me curious if we will see any trophies from other third party companies. One thing bothered me is that they haven't put Ubisoft up on copyright title yet.

Another Fountain of Dreams orchestral arrangement needs to happen.

How the fuck did Sakurai manage a live chamber orchestra for Melee, but they're still using East West Native Instrument samples for the orchestral bits today? In the Charizard / Greninja reveal Direct, that main theme showcase right before those two reveals made it really glaring. You can get away with most of those samples, but the glockenspiels completely take me out of it.

I'm pretty sure that they are trying to mask the dissapoontment of Rayman being trophy with newcomer trailer. However it got me curious if we will see any trophies from other third party companies. One thing bothered me is that they haven't put Ubisoft up on copyright title yet.

I like the theory that Rayman, a Ubisoft property, was showcased right before Sakurai pimped equal-opportunity combat and two female alts, albeit one was a clone.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Begs the question if each will have their own box on the character select screen.

If that's the case, a lot of mock ups and guess for the CSS set up will need to be adjusted

No, I'm pretty sure that it would be special input button or single icon that would open the list of Mii to pick.

It's like three pokemon in one singe icon aka Pokemon Trainer.

Village

What I want to know is what Melee stages will be in. Yoshi's Story's gotta come back.
250px-Yoshi'sStory.PNG

Hoping for Fountain of Dreams and Temple too. Maybe even Pokefloats.

On another note, since we're getting so close to the release date, I think this is when more and more actual legitimate leaks are going to start popping up amongst the fakes. That'll be something to look forward to.

I want this,

In my modded brawl, despite being non video game related I always put this song over the stage

He's such a coward he can laugh

Golnei

Another Fountain of Dreams orchestral arrangement needs to happen.

How the fuck did Sakurai manage a live chamber orchestra for Melee, but they're still using East West Native Instrument samples for the orchestral bits today? In the Charizard / Greninja reveal Direct, that main theme showcase right before those two reveals made it really glaring. You can get away with most of those samples, but the glockenspiels completely take me out of it.

It was probably easier to manage orchestration for Melee's smaller, more focused score. Brawl still had live orchestra, it was just overshadowed by the vast amount of synth arrangements. I would have thought from Kid Icarus' quite large and mostly live score that this would have been less of a problem in SSB4, but it looks like it's just not a priority for them.

emb

I'm pretty glad I can't notice a difference between orchestrated and midi, because it would probably drive me crazy.

In hindsight, SSB4 |OT10| really should have been "But The Future Refused To Change."

I'm pretty glad I can't notice a difference between orchestrated and midi, because it would probably drive me crazy.

As a music producer, it does. Pretty much all of Motoi Sakuraba's new (as in, just about everything after the first two Golden Sun games) work kills me inside.

Videoneon

Actually, we have 38 characters if you are counting all 3 Mii.

There are three different available archetypes, but at least for the purposes of the character select screen, "Mii Fighter" exists as one slot.

I don't understand why CSS predictions or whatever would be adjusted, on a related note. It'd make more sense just to place your cursor on Mii Fighter, then bring up like a sub menu for the Mii in particular you want to play as. It seems strange to do this for each of the three archetypes when it can simply be condensed into one icon.

edit: btw I just saw your response on this idea to someone else =p

With potentially 50 characters, beating Classic and All Star mode with every character is going to take awhile.

I think that's a hidden addition of clones, they add more single player content because they require another run through classic and all star modes.

Also I think Lucina will be unlockable. I think quite a few of the new comers we've seen will be (Palutena, Megaman and Pac Man). Still not sure where Mii and Greninja will fall, they could go either way imo for being unlockable. I think Marth is a starter now also (he's on the box)

zroid

Banned
Sakurai said at some point that he considers the Miis as separate characters. They are, really, even if they share a "slot".

Ahnez

Well, this update explains a lot. lol

Now we need an update explaining Robin's tomes.
But we're likely to get one pointing to Ike's blue flames lol

About the corocoro news, I will take it as fake until Nintendo itself confirms it..

Golnei

As a music producer, it does. Pretty much all of Motoi Sakuraba's new (as in, just about everything after the first two Golden Sun games) work kills me inside.

Compositionally, I mostly agree, but I'm not sure if I'd prefer the GBA's legendarily shit sound synthesis over this.

...Actually, what did you think of Natsumi Kameoka's orchestrations for that soundtrack?

-Horizon-

zlCfzSKwYtEL37Kcl3

Pic of the day. Along with Robin, Lucina joins the battle!! Her physical ablilites are identical to Marth's--it must be in her D.N.A. However, where Marth's power is concentrated in the tip of the sword, Lucina's attack strength is balanced throughout the weapon, which might make her easier to control. She's also a little bit shorter than Marth.

zlCfzSKwY_w-zf4Y4w

With the Wii Fit Trainers, the male and female Robins, the Villagers, and Little Mac, varying their appearances and voices works just like selecting alternate color variations. However, whenever there is even a small difference in abilities, that character gets an actual roster slot. That is why you can select Lucina individually.

zlCfzSKwZJU_vGdqsP

By the way…there's probably no chance you'll be able to see this in the game, but Lucina has the mark of Naga in her left eye.

I still can't get over how good the Fire Emblem models are. They just all look great.
still waiting on that fighting game

If Smash 4 doesn't have at least 500 songs I'll be sad.

Brawl had at least 300 including jingles

I'm absolutely sure it will be full as shit of songs, don't worry. 3DS version will have a hundred tops though.

Anyway, we're at less than two months from release, and still no word about a special 3DS version for Sm4sh. Are you guys sure is going to happen?

Agreed. By now, you should know what the hell Fire Emblem is. Unless you were born yesterday.

Thats foolish, fire emblem being a JRPG in modern times isn't enough. The series haven't reached the popularity of the tales, or final fantasy series.

You have to remember smash reaches fans who are old school nintendo fans, not all of those fans play on current nintendo platforms. Fire Emblem really only began picking up popularity after melee. It doesn't have enough pull for fans who are not up on the latest from nintendo...

People may recognize marth, and maybe ike from the series, but unless they play or research the game future characters are probably lost on them too.

Lunar15

In hindsight, SSB4 |OT10| really should have been "But The Future Refused To Change."

Was Dark Souls 1 Midi? Sometimes it sounded like it, but sometimes it sounded damn near close to an orchestra.

DaBoss

Coro Coro next month? It would leak a few days before it actually released, so yea. I wonder what they're gonna do.

Mega Evolution blow out is also next month for ORAS. Looks like it will be a big Coro Coro issue.

Edit: Okay, that makes much more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom