• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masked Man

I said wow
So, I'm back in the US for about a week, but a day or two of travel and lots of jet lag have kept me from being too active--and what a time to be away from GAF! So much crazy news in the past few days.

This trailer makes me realize, perhaps the reason why the veteran dripping is so slow is because Sakurai is saving certain veterans for new character trailers.

I could imagine Wario showing up in the Rhythm Heaven rep trailer.

Totally agreed. Rhythm Heaven and WarioWare are basically sister series, so I can definitely see this happening.

So, thinking this all over, here's what I'm thinking could be the timeline if the Gematsu leak is real (if not accurate)

Maybe they decided Lucas was cut and that's why they had clone time, I dunno. I don't think we can discount Gematsu yet, since we already know a lot of his info was preliminary.

Yeah, my guess is that whoever is leaking information was involved in and/or privy to information from the planning stages, hence not knowing which X/Y Pokemon would make it in, having Chrom over Lucina, etc. Hopefully this means Lucas still has a chance!

"I'll... get my chance later"
Nope, you get it today

Had me in stitches. Would have been more Sakurai-like to just leave the last bit out, but I'm not complaining!

For what it's worth, the Japanese was

Chrom: "Looks like I won't be joining the battle any time soon..."
Sakurai: "That's not entirely true."

I found this. Use it for prosperity

b19.gif

Amazing!

As much as I love the discussion about buttocks,

ENTIRE ROSTER TO BE REVEALED NEXT MONTH BY COROCORO

nfFBmjD.png

Source: http://corocoro.tv/next/

Says that they'll be revealing all the stages and characters for the 3DS version as a way for players to "study up" on Smash 3DS before it comes out. Dunno if they'll really be showing everything, though...

I am surprised Nintendo is poised to leave Professor Layton out. I'd love to get a final smash and hear the famous "Here's my guess!"

I am also surprised Karts haven't been announced as items.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't think all the characters revealed are going to be starting characters. Some obvious ones like Pac Man and Mega Man would surely need to be unlocked.

Well Luigi was revealed with the acknowledgement that it is unusual to reveal secret characters but YoL made for an exception. The fact Sakurai stated this has made some believe that all first party characters, minus Luigi, are part of the starting roster.

Iwata vs Reggie trailer is that kind of stupid that can come out only of a genius' ass.
You must be especially brilliant to make something that idiotic.
I'm serious.

Just woke up and saw PotD. It's almost like Mashpotato Samurai watches this thread.

I knew Lucina would be her own slot. Can't wait to main her. :)

Jintor

Aβydoς;121107775 said:
Their very good relationship with Level-5 though...
I would totally sacrifice a couple of the revealed newcomers for Layton.

u gotta be kidding me

phoenix wright first

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
We're at 36 characters for the roster right now. Predict how many characters you think the final roster will hold.

40 is looking likely, but I'm holding onto my long-tested belief it'll be 48-50.

RagnarokX

I was just watching the Gamexplain analysis and noticed a major detail they overlooked.

When Robin is charging his thunder spell his tome changes from this:
jcERSeYqX6Y21.png

Elthunder?

to this:
jHy5lvhowR5Fq.png

Arcthunder?

to this:
jDxIvYrWgwBj2.png

Thoron?

The lightning bolt on the tome increases the number of zigzags as the spell being cast becomes more powerful until it becomes a circle with a cross, which can also be seen in a screenshot of Robin using a fire spell, probably meaning that's the full charge symbol for all spells. Also the color of charge energy changes from yellow towards red each time the spell being cast changes.

Or perhaps the circle with cross symbol is arcthunder, since arcfire is the only fire spell we know of and the fire tome has the same circle with cross symbol in a screenshot, and we haven't seen the symbol for thoron.

Jintor

I just rewatched all the trailers and I think probably, in terms of specifically made-for-trailer animation, the Fire Emblem trailer is pretty much the GOAT.

ryanofcall

We're at 36 characters for the roster right now. Predict how many characters you think the final roster will hold.

40 is looking likely, but I'm holding onto my long-tested belief it'll be 48-50.

Unlockable Characters have always been kept secret until PostRelease. For Melee and Brawl.
I think there's at least as many secret/unlockable characters as in Brawl wich was 14 minus Snake and Sonic (Were the only announced unlockables) - so 12
now we're at 36, right? 2 new 3rd party characters (the only announced unlockables?), too so we're at 12 + at least one more with a video PreRelease because:
Sakurai said:
"Looks like we're nearing the bottom of the stash of new challenger videos that we've made."
So it's at least 13 more characters, which brings us to at least 49 maybe 48 if Sonic is an unlockable again.

So, personally I'm thinking 50 +/-2

I'd also think at or around 45. a x b -1 seems likely, as the one slot will be reserved for random. So that would make 44 more likely than 45.

Final roster number will be 45.

Nah, I think it'll definitely be higher.

Just with Falco, Lucas, Ganondorf, Ness, Jigglypuff, Wolf, Wario, Rob, Game and Watch that already puts it at 45+ and now that Lucina was revealed I fully expect all of those old characters to be inlcuded.

I was just watching the Gamexplain analysis and noticed a major detail they overlooked.

When Robin is charging his thunder spell his tome changes from this:
jcERSeYqX6Y21.png

Elthunder

to this:
jHy5lvhowR5Fq.png

Arcthunder

to this:
jDxIvYrWgwBj2.png

Thoron

The lightning bolt on the tome increases the number of zigzags as the spell being cast becomes more powerful until it becomes a circle with a cross, which can also be seen in a screenshot of Robin using a fire spell, probably meaning that's the full charge symbol for all spells. Also the color of charge energy changes from yellow towards red each time the spell being cast changes.

nice findings. I like the way they change the tome for different spell rank

mrhej

I just rewatched all the trailers and I think probably, in terms of specifically made-for-trailer animation, the Fire Emblem trailer is pretty much the GOAT.

I really like the Rosalina trailer just because nobody knew if it was a smash trailer during the direct. Hell I thought Kirby was going to be in Mario Kart.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Nearing the bottom can mean over half way so with Pacman we had nine trailers (counting Miis). So if nine was the tipping point then one could expect at most eight more trailers. Yesterday's revealed two new comers (an exception to the rule), so with seven trailers left at most one could hope for at least 14(!) more new comers if each revealed two new comers.

#UltraOptimism

Jintor

I really like the Rosalina trailer just because nobody knew if it was a smash trailer during the direct. Hell I thought Kirby was going to be in Mario Kart.

that would also have been great tho

I'm impressed Nintendo has resisted the urge to just make MK into Smash Kart. I mean, imagine the stage designs.

Qurupeke

Lucina's a clone? Completely okay. Also, that attention to detail with the mark of Naga.... Wow.

And nice to see the final roster so soon.I guess only one newcomer is coming or maybe none as I can't see them revealing 2 or more like that.

Golnei

Lucina's a clone? Completely okay. Also, that attention to detail with the mark of Naga.... Wow.

And nice to see the final roster so soon.I guess only one newcomer is coming or maybe none as I can't see them revealing 2 or more like that.

It's entirely possible we'll only see the starting roster revealed then, considering what happened with Brawl. I think we could still have 2-5 newcomers left.

ryanofcall

I'm impressed Nintendo has resisted the urge to just make MK into Smash Kart. I mean, imagine the stage designs.

Maybe they did. They just didn't tell us so far.
Amiibo for Mario Kart 8
jk. But dat Ganons Castle instead of Bowsers Castle

NeonZ

I don't think the Mario Kart crew wants that. They barely create tracks based on other Mario games as things are.

mrhej

I have a feeling we are going to be able use some of the Smash Bros Amiibo's for Mario Kart. I don't know why, I just feel that's what they hinted at during E3.

Jaeger

Nah, I think it'll definitely be higher.

Just with Falco, Lucas, Ganondorf, Ness, Jigglypuff, Wolf, Wario, Rob, Game and Watch that already puts it at 45+ and now that Lucina was revealed I fully expect all of those old characters to be inlcuded.

I forgot about how many havnt been revealed yet. We may get 50 out here.

NotLiquid

I don't know if the Smash Bros ident at the start was in the Direct the trailer was in but I must have missed it the first time around.

My reaction in order to that trailer

"OH SHIT KIRBY AIR RIDE 2 MY DREAMS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED"
"Oh. Goddammit. Mario characters. Kirby's probably just a cameo in Kart 8."
"Oh look, it's Rosalina."
"Wait. That's the splash screen from Smash. OH SHIT ROSY IN SMASH"
"... where the fuck is my Kirby Air Ride 2"

ryanofcall

I'm still pretty sure we'll get a "different" kind of Smash Spin-Off in 2015/2016 to further support Amiibo.
Like TW101 was supposed to be.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Actually, we have 38 characters if you are counting all 3 Mii.

I really like that kind of detail, and I'm even more excited about Robin.

Final roster number will be 45.

Want to avatar bet? :3

ryanofcall

I don't know if the Smash Bros ident at the start was in the Direct the trailer was in but I must have missed it the first time around.

My reaction in order to that trailer

"OH SHIT KIRBY AIR RIDE 2 MY DREAMS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED"
"Oh. Goddammit. Mario characters. Kirby's probably just a cameo in Kart 8."
"Oh look, it's Rosalina."
"Wait. That's the splash screen from Smash. OH SHIT ROSY IN SMASH"
"... where the fuck is my Kirby Air Ride 2"

They could do the same for Shulk in a Direct.
-Oh damn nice! Shulk's in Xenoblade X!
-Wait is this.. SHULK SMASH!

Qurupeke

It's entirely possible we'll only see the starting roster revealed then, considering what happened with Brawl. I think we could still have 2-5 newcomers left.

Hopefully, but Sakurai said that they almost finished with the newcomers so something like 4 or 5 would be quite a lot. But I guess Chorus Kids and Shulk, and maybe even Mewtwo could work.

Rychu Supadude

Neo Member
It's interesting that the general reaction to nonchalantly dropping an update with a RAYMAN trophy was "wow, that's interesting, but the reveal is still gonna be Shulk, that's too obvious". He was clearly foreshadowing the fact that our expectations were about to be blasted away like last week's leftover Team Rocket, and we completely failed to pick up on it.

If Rayman's trophy turns out to not have been leading up to Ubisoft representation, or third-party cameos, or anything major at all, then I will laugh my ass off every time I collect it in the middle of a completely ordinary Trophy Smasher game. Sometimes "wut" moments do come true!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom