• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBoss

Why not? His initial up special could be weak and have terrible recovery, but a level 4 up special might rocket him vertically with a giant gust of wind or something.
I edited my previous post saying it could be like Diddy's, but I doubt it.

Who knows, it could be a recovery you can use 3 times or something before going into a helpless state (we see Robin using it twice). That certainly would be very interesting.
Maybe they can't be charged. Maybe thunder is the only one that can be, because it's his signature element. He uses a Levin Sword and his tag is "brings the thunder" or something, after all.
The fire move looks like it can be charged. Look at it when Robin uses it against Sheik and then again when used on Bowser. Also look at it when it is used by female Robin at the end. There seems to be some effects missing the time it is used by Bowser.

This is the effect I'm referring to:
rUwSr6U.jpg

Maybe it is coincidental, but the effect has only been seen so far whenever Robin is facing the left side lol.

The fire move seems like a combination of Din's Fire and PK Fire.

Also, it seems like Villager has super armor when using the Lloid Rocket?

EDIT: Frog got bopped.

Honestly, they're both boring.

I'm very happy for Lucina fans and also happy to see another fan base catered to, but if we have to be real about what it means for game play, especially from someone who's played Marth since 2001, what about her inclusion should get me excited when Marth is right there next to her? What's more, you're saying that it's because of a gender swap that she's that much more interesting overall?

At least Dark Pit brings the potential of using different weaponry from the cornucopia that was Uprising's arsenal. Even then, they're both in the same nebulous area of cloning that I'm not a particularly big fan of outside of bringing in faces that should be in the roster/enhance the roster on a time limit.
Oh but the funny part is I can just retort with this:

As a fox player, what makes Falco interesting? They have the same moves that all look the same. But they play different. Their moves make the enemy fly in a different way.

But guess what, some people greatly prefer the character of Falco to that of Fox. Should we call Falco bland and boring? No he's a very loved character in the game and even though all of his moves are the same they act in different ways.

Do you really think Sakurai is going to make an entirely different character slot for a darker version of the same exact character that uses different weapons? No. He's going to be relegated to a color swap just like Samus and the Dark Samus character will be.

Lucina is going to be a great character in the game and she has plenty of personality.

georly

I think if this were melee, Lucina would have been a last minute unlockable, as was normal for 'clones' for melee/brawl. No clones were in the starting roster for either game, nor revealed before game release. This game we already had toon link revealed, thanks to wind waker. I think lucina is a similar case.

She's almost assuredly an unlockable character due to her 'clone' status, but it's nice to get her reveal before the game launches, unlike what was done in the past. I truly do wonder if EVERYONE will be revealed before the game releases, this time. If true, though, he needs to hurry up! He has 2 months to reveal what will probably amount to 10ish more characters.

Cse

Banned
She's almost assuredly an unlockable character due to her 'clone' status, but it's nice to get her reveal before the game launches, unlike what was done in the past. I truly do wonder if EVERYONE will be revealed before the game releases, this time. If true, though, he needs to hurry up! He has 2 months to reveal what will probably amount to 10ish more characters.

They actually only have a few weeks to do so, assuming that CoroCoro is actually going to reveal the entire roster around August 10th.

-Horizon-

Paired up Chrom/Lucina was pretty much the most interesting thing ever suggested for the two of them and something I actually would have looked forward to. I think I broke down different approaches to "doubles" or multi-characters in another thread but the way I see them, there are five molds:

Tag: would work like Diddy and Dixie in the DKC games where one is always in the foreground and a button press summons the other person so long as they're in range to tag in and fight with their own moveset.

Mirror: Two characters that completely mimic one another's attacks and attack simultaneously or with short delays between inputs on the player controlled lead and the AI controlled secondary. This brand of double character is already present with the Ice Climbers.

Sequence: A double character setup where the two characters follow up on the lead attack started by one of the two characters. Essentially, think of this as being a dance wherein one starts, the other follows the lead who then becomes the lead, and the the initial lead follows in that order.

"Point" & "Assist": A double character setup where one character is relegated to a support role and generates a set means of support when summoned. Could also be combined with the Tag archetype.

Stand/Puppeteer: A double character setup where one dedicated character generates another figure that can be controlled remotely while the dedicated character engages elsewhere. This is the niche of Rosalina & Luma.

A theoretical Chrom + Lucina could have been really cool as a take on sequence based double characters.

The whole sequence thing does sound really interesting. Although I mentioned Ice Climbers before, I would not have liked it if Chrom + Lucina just did the same exact attack.

NeonZ

I would've actually liked it if he was a paired character like Ice Climbers. Would've been cool.

I really don't think that'd be possible - especially not with the 3ds version. One can make the Ice Climbers less detailed and polygon heavy due to their simple designs, but it'd be obvious with human-like FE characters.

Speaking about the Ice Climbers, I wonder if they might get revamped too, considering how long their reveal is taking...

Edit:Then, again, we just got C.Falcon seemingly without any big changes.

I wonder if Dark Pitt would even get move changes though, like changing Upperdash Arm to something else, or giving Power of Flight a different color. Seems like small changes, but apparently Lucina didn't get them, so I don't know if Dark Pitt will.

Lucina boring?

Dark Pitt is literally just a darker color of Pitt.

At least Lucina is an entirely different looking character and gender.

Um, guys:
Pit.

Pitt.

I think if this were melee, Lucina would have been a last minute unlockable, as was normal for 'clones' for melee/brawl. No clones were in the starting roster for either game, nor revealed before game release. This game we already had toon link revealed, thanks to wind waker. I think lucina is a similar case.

Lucas in Brawl was on the strating roster and revealed much early in the promotion.

lmao

Do you guys thinks Captain Falcon will get any new moves? (not his B specials)

No, and nor should they; by this point, Falcon's moveset is near-sacred. But they do need to tweak some of his moves, especially his meteor smash, forward smash, and knee. It was sad how hard to land/ineffective those moves were in Brawl.

Speaking about the Ice Climbers, I wonder if they might get revamped too, considering how long their reveal is taking...

Yeah, it's pretty weird we haven't seen them yet. I don't think they're gone, though, since Olimar and Rosalina prove they can work in this game and the Polar Bear enemy has been seen in Smash Run.

georly

Lucas in Brawl was on the strating roster and revealed much early in the promotion.

Not sure if lucas is the exception or if lucas himself was just different enough. Ness was still unlockable, though. I don't see both marth AND lucina being on the starting roster.

They actually only have a few weeks to do so, assuming that CoroCoro is actually going to reveal the entire roster around August 10th.

Like it's been mentioned before, last time corocoro said they'd do that it was just a rehash of the info already available on the website. I'm not holding my breath.

Kouriozan

With the Wii Fit Trainers, the male and female Robins, the Villagers, and Little Mac, varying their appearances and voices works just like selecting alternate color variations. However, whenever there is even a small difference in abilities, that character gets an actual roster slot. That is why you can select Lucina individually.

zlCfzSKwZJU_vGdqsP

By the way…there's probably no chance you'll be able to see this in the game, but Lucina has the mark of Naga in her left eye.

That's awesome, and it basically confirm that all clones will be back!
kidding :)

Azure J

Oh but the funny part is I can just retort with this:

As a fox player, what makes Falco interesting? They have the same moves that all look the same. But they play different. Their moves make the enemy fly in a different way.

But guess what, some people greatly prefer the character of Falco to that of Fox. Should we call Falco bland and boring? No he's a very loved character in the game and even though all of his moves are the same they act in different ways.

Do you really think Sakurai is going to make an entirely different character slot for a darker version of the same exact character that uses different weapons? No. He's going to be relegated to a color swap just like Samus and the Dark Samus character will be.

Lucina is going to be a great character in the game and she has plenty of personality.

You know what the best part about this response is? I was definitely going over it in my mind thinking "damn Azure, didn't you play Falco as a secondary in Melee?" :lol

I'm legitimately not trying to step on any toes here, but this situation just feels so weird/unique. I don't see how a clone that would be near guaranteed bring more game play variance than "oh I don't have the major mechanic of my base character" is worse unless you're really attached to the character described in the latter.

-Horizon-

I really don't think that'd be possible - especially not with the 3ds version. One can make the Ice Climbers less detailed and polygon heavy due to their simple designs, but it'd be obvious with human-like FE characters.

Speaking about the Ice Climbers, I wonder if they might get revamped too, considering how long their reveal is taking... Then, again, we just got C.Falcon seemingly without any big changes.
Well, hardware limitations aside it would've been nice, maybe the next Smash on the next handheld lol

ffdgh

Hmm it just occurred to me. Robin shouldn't be able to use dark tomes out outside of dark mage and sorcerer. Wonder who gave them shadow gift :p

And also, Beez plz...Stahp being banned lol.

It's interesting there aren't any additional paired or rotation characters. I would've loved to see Charizard removed from Pokemon Trainer just so Pokemon Trainer could have a new rotation set based around X/Y (where Greninja could've fit).

I also would've liked to see Diddy and Dixie as a pair. I think they are unique characters, it's a shame to see them removed.

Jaeger

Lucina is actually not boring to me in the least bit. Partially because Marth is always exciting for me anyway. Someone who plays like him, but will undoubtedly have different properties is very intriguing to me.

Also, Based-EmCeeGramr, I thank you.

NeonZ

But Ness wasn't revealed pre-launch though, only Lucas. Although Ness and Marth, aside from the third party characters, got the earliest official reveals. They even appeared in the opening movie before being unlocked. Making them unlockable at all in Brawl was kind of silly.

It's interesting there aren't any additional paired or rotation characters. I would've loved to see Charizard removed from Pokemon Trainer just so Pokemon Trainer could have a new rotation set based around X/Y (where Greninja could've fit).

I also would've liked to see Diddy and Dixie as a pair. I think they are unique characters, it's a shame to see them removed.

There's still hope.

gfs_98503_3_1.jpg

Mit-

Do you guys thinks Captain Falcon will get any new moves? (not his B specials)
God I hope so but probably not. And without Melee system mechanics he will likely again be a fundamentally awful character. Without speed, hard knockdowns, and hitstun for some combos he is nothing, especially when matched against characters with disjointed hitboxes (swords, Snake's sword legs, etc).

But I'll play him anyways.

But Ness wasn't though. Although Ness and Marth, aside from the third party characters, got the earliest official reveals. They even appeared in the opening movie before being unlocked. Making them unlockable at all in Brawl was kind of silly. They should just have been starters.

Yeah, they were both unlocked after ten versus matches.

Although I think they were unlockable that early to establish to new players that the game had unlockable characters.

You know what the best part about this response is? I was definitely going over it in my mind thinking "damn Azure, didn't you play Falco as a secondary in Melee?" :lol

I'm legitimately not trying to step on any toes here, but this situation just feels so weird/unique. I don't see how a clone that would be near guaranteed bring more game play variance than "oh I don't have the major mechanic of my base character" is worse unless you're really attached to the character described in the latter.
To be honest I don't care about Lucina That much but Marth has gotten much worse in every installment and he looks really bad in Smash 4. I'll reserve judgement until I try him.

Lucina has shown to be more my style of character than the new Marth. If she's faster than him I'll be even more happy. I hate slow characters and Marth is very slow to me in Brawl.

By the way I like Falco more than Fox. I just used it as an example.

SoldnerKei

Tharja will be an Assist Trophy.

A unique quality of hers is that whenever Robin is in the battle, she'll have a 95% chance rate of being the person summoned.

I would be totally okay with that, that's the kind of rep the character deserves

even for my in-game waifu, being playable is asking too much
said Lucina fan ever

So with Lucina appearing, and 3 characters confirmed having alt versions, what are the odds of us getting Dr. Mario as either returning character or alt costume for Mario? I'd love for him to come back.

Lucas being the big exception. He was a starter in Brawl

DaBoss

I think Dixie and Diddy can easily be unique characters on their own and because of that, I'm not a fan of the pair up idea.

And I wasn't a fan of the pair up idea for FE characters for the reason random25 said. I think it being relegated to Robin's final smash is a very good compromise. Although it would be very interesting if different characters from FE:A would appear in the final smash, but of course, that would be much more work than needed.
To be honest I don't care about Lucina That much but Marth has gotten much worse in every installment and he looks really bad in Smash 4. I'll reserve judgement until I try him.

Lucina has shown to be more my style of character than the new Marth.
Hard to come to these conclusions right now. ESPECIALLY the Lucina conclusion.

We've only seen about a minute of footage of her in a trailer and not in an actual gameplay video.

If a Rhythm Heaven character ends up happening, I think this will be the best batch of newcomers (personally speaking) ever, which is really great and funny considering people often say that these later Smash games will scrape the bottom of the barrel:

Robin - Holy god yes. The one FE character I truly wanted, and he/she plays just how I imagined. Still waiting to hear how/if weapon durability is incorporated.

Lucina - A clone of one of my favorite characters is fine by me. I was hoping maybe she'd be coupled with Chrom. Honestly Chrom being relegated to Robin's FS feels odd to me, but I'm still very satisfied about how all the Awakening stuff was handled.

Mii Fighters - Very pleased with how they were implemented. I personally want to make my Mii a Gunner. I think no Miis online is silly though. I get why, but maybe they could just make the Mii associated with your NNID playable online? And moderate which Miis can be used as avatars? That seems reasonable I think.

Palutena - Honestly I would've been happy with any new KI character because Uprising is my GOTY for 2012, but Palutena was probably my favorite. Her implementation has me curious, with all the KIU powers being her specials, but I have no doubt she'll be fun to play.

Pac-Man - The one new 3rd party (after Mega Man) I wanted and thought was fitting. I knew Sakurai would do him justice. I think with all these male/female alts, a Ms. Pac-Man alt would be amazing (I had a Ms. Pac-Man machine growing up, and if my gaming enthusiast grandfather were still around to see that he'd flip).

Greninja - Admittedly, Greninja isn't my favorite Gen 6 starter, but that's not saying too much, because all of the XY starters were great. Honestly I would've been thrilled with Chesnaught (probably my favorite Grass type ever, plus Spiky Shield would've been cool in Smash), but Greninja is still an amazing Pokemon and looks hella fun. Plus more ninjas.

Little Mac - One of the biggest "icons" I thought had been missing from Smash. I love Punch Out, and I love that they went with the Punch Out Wii design. He's just a good character.

Rosalina - Stand user, awesome. One of the best Mario character, awesome. Space goddess that commands baby stars, awesome. She's a representative from one of my favorite Mario games of all time, plus she's just a well-designed character. I love Rosalina. Plus she's my MK8 main.

Wii Fit Trainer(s) - I love the inclusion of this character. SSB4 needed a character in the vein of Game & Watch or R.O.B. and WFT is a great character to fill that role. Wacky and fun, just like I like my characters.

Mega Man - I don't have the words to describe how happy I am about Mega Man's inclusion. It's a dream come true. Thank you Sakurai.

Villager - As much as I like all the other newcomers, this is far and away my favorite. Animal Crossing is probably one of my favorite Nintendo properties, and after Sakurai's post-Brawl comments about including an AC character, I didn't have much hope. So imagine my suprise when my #1 most wanted character was the first one announced for Smash 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom