• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, it seems like we missed a big detail on the PoTD

n6hAhS5.png
I laughed.

I wonder if Ridley's role in the game will finally be confirmed before release or if Sakurai is going to leave us in suspense until the game actually comes out. If it's the latter, I wonder if Pyrosphere will even be a starter stage.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Well I guess even when the 3DS Version comes out we'll still have POTDs till the Wii U release, right?

emb

I'm going to guess that because she doesn't have to sweet spot she won't be as good as a marth player who knows how to sweet spot.

Making up some numbers here for neutral A:

Marth:
Base 10%
Tip 18%

Lucina:
Anywhere: 14%

A marth player who can consistently hit w/ the tip will outshine a lucina player. I think lucina is designed to be better for beginners.
There's also the fact that hitting with the weaker, inside portion of Marth's sword is sometimes an option. It was useful for Fair at least. Up air too sometimes. The others rarely. But more options are still more options.

If Lucina isn't faster or anything, I think you're right. She'll be a Marth that can't hit as hard. :\

I don't think Lucina is going to be worse than Marth. Marth was already much slower in the E3 demo this year than he has ever been and I think Lucina might be a little faster.

Either way I like the idea of her sword hit box more than Marth's. Still excited.

Seems like he's making it pretty clear. "Identical" is not a word one uses whimsically.
Yeah, you'd think he'd want to highlight as many differences as he could to avoid miiverse backlash, which he apparently did.

I don't think Lucina is going to be worse than Marth. Marth was already much slower in the E3 demo this year than he has ever been and I think Lucina might be a little faster.

Either way I like the idea of her sword hit box more than Marth's. Still excited.
It's hard to tell from videos, but I don't think she's faster. She's probably "identical", like Sakurai said.

lmfao

she is an honest to god clone

beelze was right y'all lol
So it would seem :)

qphen9C.gif

So good.

I want more clones of fun characters.

Give me a Sheik clone. And a Snake clone.

lmfao

she is an honest to god clone

beelze was right y'all lol

Guess that explains why her face looks so fuckin dead right now

They haven't really animated shit for her yet have they

Anth0ny

I'm going to guess that because she doesn't have to sweet spot she won't be as good as a marth player who knows how to sweet spot.

Making up some numbers here for neutral A:

Marth:
Base 10%
Tip 18%

Lucina:
Anywhere: 14%

A marth player who can consistently hit w/ the tip will outshine a lucina player. I think lucina is designed to be better for beginners.

I was literally going to make this post, percentages and everything. Good job lol

Lucina really does sound like a worse Marth, but lets wait and see.

Clones can't be as easily justified when there are character customization options in the game. What's the point of a modified Marth if you can just modify Marth yourself?

Because maybe I want to play as Lucina and not Marth.

You're thinking of your mascot party fighting game in terms of move pools. Think of it more in terms of mascots, which is what should be important.

Berordn

Yes, you can take it to mean that as well. However I think it's a little worrying that when talking about exceptions to her "physical abilities" being identical, he mentioned a tiny irrelevant detail like being slightly shorter rather than any sort of mention of moveset differences.

She really should have moveset differences like every clone character in the series has, but her footage and Sakurai's words go against that a little, so I'm not sure what to expect.

It's not common for him to go into vast detail about attributes of characters unless he's spending the pic of the day describing move. The first pictures of a character always seem to be emphasizing their designs and art, and that's just what I took this as.

Admittedly as the first new clone we've got nothing to go on as an example (and even if we did it's not like his past performances are indicative of anything), so it's all just speculation on my part too. It's always possible that she really is just the cloniest of clones, but I don't think today's caption is a direct confirmation.

georly

Based on what exactly? People sure are eager to jump to conclusions over here.

Based on nothing but smash bros history. There has never been a clone that is THAT identical. If i'm wrong, so be it, but I'm very doubtful that's the only difference (yes, it means that all damage on all attacks will be different). No fighter in smash bros history has had a clone that similar. Like you said, it's speculation, but I also don't think that sakurai is going to say stuff on miiverse like "oh and also, her up air goes slightly higher and her counter attack had knockback at a different angle than marth, oh and also, her run speed is 5% faster."

We'll know soon enough, I just really doubt that it'll just be that ONE change.

It's not common for him to go into vast detail about attributes of characters unless he's spending the pic of the day describing move. The first pictures of a character always seem to be emphasizing their designs and art, and that's just what I took this as.

Admittedly as the first new clone we've got nothing to go on as an example (and even if we did it's not like his past performances are indicative of anything), so it's all just speculation on my part too. It's always possible that she really is just the cloniest of clones, but I don't think today's caption is a direct confirmation.

Exactly

Based on nothing but smash bros history. There has never been a clone that is THAT identical. If i'm wrong, so be it, but I'm very doubtful that's the only difference (yes, it means that all damage on all attacks will be different). No fighter in smash bros history has had a clone that similar. Like you said, it's speculation, but I also don't think that sakurai is going to say stuff on miiverse like "oh and also, her up air goes slightly higher and her counter attack had knockback at a different angle than marth, oh and also, her run speed is 5% faster."

Dr. Mario?

Ryce

Dr. Mario isn't a whole lot different than Mario. Even Sakurai said to "simply pick the one you like better" on the Melee site.

Unbounded

I was literally going to make this post, percentages and everything. Good job lol

Lucina really does sound like a worse Marth, but lets wait and see.

Wouldn't it be easier to rack up damage with Lucina as a result of everything being spread out throughout the blade?

Doesn't she even have like the same taunts and stuff though? Or whatever that picture is of her grabbing her cheat. She's definitely like the cloniest clone we've ever had.

All I'm saying is it would have been easier to throw in a little "there are a few differences here and there, but..." into that first post. Instead he says they're identical except for her sword and her height. It's not confirmed, but it seems like an open and shut case.

NeonZ

Clones can't be as easily justified when there are character customization options in the game. What's the point of a modified Marth if you can just modify Marth yourself?

Customization only involves variations of the special attacks. A custom Marth can't ditch the sweetspot mechanic.

Sakurai seems to have a large team this time around, I could see them finishing up all the planned characters on schedule and having some extra space left to add some low-effort clones to fill things out.

Thus Lucina and Dark Pit. I'm starting to think that might be all there is in terms of low-effort clones though, I can't think of any other similar characters who are recent enough to include without feeling better off as their own character.

Bowser Jr? Toon Zelda? There are a few feasible options.

Cse

Banned
I'm interested in seeing how NIntendo responds to CoroCoro. I don't know whether they would intentionally leak information to CoroCoro, and I'm not sure how CoroCoro obtains their information.

However, these newcomer character trailers are incredibly popular and build massive momentum and hype for the game. Nintendo knows that the full roster will be leaked, possibly weeks before the 3DS version is released in Japan.

Knowing this, do they try and put out new character trailers before these leaks occur? If so, we could be getting another big reveals in just a few weeks.

georly

Dr. Mario?

Dr. Mario isn't a whole lot different than Mario. Even Sakurai said to "simply pick the one you like better" on the Melee site.

Dr mario is probably the closest example, but he has some speed differences, too.

From http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Dr._Mario_(SSBM)
  • The Super Sheet is longer than the cape and has more lag, making it not as useful as Mario's Cape for recovery.
  • His pills do more damage than Mario's fireballs.
  • His Down Tilt sends opponents behind him.
  • His F-air is not a Meteor Smash like Mario's. It is, however, a strong fist move, similar to Ganondorf`s, except slightly stronger.
  • It is harder to break out of his Down B attack.
  • He is slightly stronger in terms of damage and knockback.
  • His Down B attack sends opponents in a random direction, while Mario's sends upwards.
  • Dr. Mario's Forward Smash is stronger if the opponent is closer, which is the opposite of Mario. It also has less range than Mario's.
  • Slightly faster air speed.
  • Slightly slower on ground.
  • Forward Smash deals Electric Damage rather than Fire.
  • Mario can wall jump. Dr. Mario cannot.

Doesn't she even have like the same taunts and stuff though? Or whatever that picture is of her grabbing her cheat. She's definitely like the cloniest clone we've ever had.

All I'm saying is it would have been easier to throw in a little "there are a few differences here and there, but..." into that first post. Instead he says they're identical except for her sword and her height. It's not confirmed, but it seems like an open and shut case.

Oh, she's still a marth clone, don't get me wrong, but there will be more differences than damage, I think.

The differences will be much more apparent to people who main one or the other and to people who were familiar w/ melee clone differences.

Now that we have reason to doubt the leak's comprehensiveness, we can get back to speculation... Like who the next Zelda rep will be!

Granting Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf, who's next?

I've heard Impa, Skull Kid, Demise, and my personal choice, Vaati. Anyone else worth considering?

Ugh... no.
It truly is terrible.

Wait, Doc Mario can't wall jump? That's so weird. I'm sure Lucina will get some tiny mechanical differences from Marth, if only because of her smaller frame, but I don't think we should expect any more significant differences, like the sword. He would have at least mentioned they were there.

Could Lucina's smaller size make her look artificially faster if she's still traveling the same distance as the larger Marth? Just spitballing ideas here.

Skull kid can't be playable, he's an assist trophy.

PKrockin

Dr mario is probably the closest example, but he has some speed differences, too.

From http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Dr._Mario_(SSBM)
  • The Super Sheet is longer than the cape and has more lag, making it not as useful as Mario's Cape for recovery.
  • His pills do more damage than Mario's fireballs.
  • His Down Tilt sends opponents behind him.
  • His F-air is not a Meteor Smash like Mario's. It is, however, a strong fist move, similar to Ganondorf`s, except slightly stronger.
  • It is harder to break out of his Down B attack.
  • He is slightly stronger in terms of damage and knockback.
  • His Down B attack sends opponents in a random direction, while Mario's sends upwards.
  • Dr. Mario's Forward Smash is stronger if the opponent is closer, which is the opposite of Mario. It also has less range than Mario's.
  • Slightly faster air speed.
  • Slightly slower on ground.
  • Forward Smash deals Electric Damage rather than Fire.
  • Mario can wall jump. Dr. Mario cannot.

Oh, she's still a marth clone, don't get me wrong, but there will be more differences than damage, I think.

Even that list is missing a lot of nuance, like his nair being weaker at the start rather than stronger, pills have different trajectory, etc. Not that I'm saying Doc isn't one of the "cloniest" clones in the series, but it's not like Mario's moveset was literally copy and pasted on him.

Trey

Because maybe I want to play as Lucina and not Marth.

You're thinking of your mascot party fighting game in terms of move pools. Think of it more in terms of mascots, which is what should be important.

More important to you. I dislike clones because they are uninteresting and take resources from a mechanically well realized character. I'd trade six clones for one R.O.B, even though I never play as the latter. Some characters deserve better than being a facsimile of another character, other clones deserve to be nuked from space (Pichu).

Durden77

Now that we have reason to doubt the leak's comprehensiveness, we can get back to speculation... Like who the next Zelda rep will be!

I've heard Impa, Skull Kid, Demise, and my personal choice, Vaati. Anyone else worth considering?

Ghirahim? I don't really want him but I think he's got a slim chance. Skull Kid was already confirmed as an AT.

When I was a kid, the only difference I noticed in Mario and Doc were the different pills and their taunts.

Same for Falco. I remember just noticing his jump height and blaster speed and nothing else.

Pichu, Ganon, Roy and Young Link were a little easier to notice differences on. Pichu hurt himself and was super light, Ganon was way different than Falcon, Roy had fire on his attacks and Young Link had way less range and his specials had obvious differences from Link.

Lucina seems to be more of a Melee Falco/Doc clone than anything Brawl added as a clone.

I wonder if Smash 4 is under the same circumstances as Melee, where the base roster is done, and there's some time, but not enough to make brand new characters.

PKrockin

More important to you. I dislike clones because they are uninteresting and take resources from a mechanically well realized character. I'd trade six clones for one R.O.B, even though I never play as the latter. Some characters deserve better than being a facsimile of another character, other clones deserve to be nuked from space (Pichu).
But Lucina is a facsimile of another character. It's canon that her fighting style is the same as Marth's.

Ryce

I’m sure someone’s already analyzed him, but I think I finally have a solid grasp on Robin’s moves.

Standard Special Move - Thunder Magic
Side Special Move - Fire Magic
Up Special Move - Wind Magic
Down Special Move - Dark Magic

Hold B to cycle through stronger spells. For example, tapping B yields Thunder, but briefly holding B and then releasing the button results in Elthunder, holding B even longer gives you Arcthunder, and the longest charge produces Thoron. I imagine the same principle applies to the three other special moves.

Also, certain standard attacks change based on the most recently used tome. At 1:20 in the trailer, the third hit of Robin’s jab combo is an explosive flame, but at 1:40 it’s a multi-hit wind attack.

It’s also implied that tomes run out after a certain number of uses. Let’s say you’re given 20 uses of Thunder Magic per stock, and that Thunder counts as a single use, Elthunder counts as 2, Arcthunder counts as 3, and Thoron counts as 4. As soon as you reach some combination of 20, the Thunder tome is tossed away.

The Bronze Sword and Levin Sword are likely handled similarly. After 20 hits (again, these numbers are hypothetical), the Bronze Sword shatters and Robin pulls out the larger, more powerful Levin Sword.

You’ll really need to play smart when using Robin, hence his title as a tactician.

georly

Even that list is missing a lot of nuance, like his nair being weaker at the start rather than stronger, F-smash's worse range/no sweet spot/better KO power, pills have different trajectory, etc. Not that I'm saying Doc isn't one of the "cloniest" clones in the series, but it's not like Mario's moveset was literally copy and pasted on him.

Yeah, it was the quickest list I could find. I'm sure it'll be a similar situation. Even though he says Identical, he may not mean identical in behavior, but rather, in appearance. Like, yes, down B for lucina is a counter, just like marth, BUT, it knocks back at a higher/lower angle.

The main things that can be different are: Damage, speed, and angle of attack. Sometimes hitstun as well. Like I said, I could be wrong, but never in smash bros history has a clone been so identical. There is always SOME difference. If this time, the only difference is DAMAGE (like he said), then so be it. I really really doubt it though.

Durden77

I still think Lucina is half Awakening love, half Sakurai wanting to make up for cutting Roy. But Roy ended up being pretty lame on all fronts, so he used the more stable Lucina instead.

Mr Buddy

In regards to new zelda characters, I'd have to go with Fi. She looks awesome in hyrule warriors, and I think that all her moves and attacks could translate well to smash.

My second choice would be toon zelda, because if we're getting clones, we might as well get good ones, right?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm interested in seeing how NIntendo responds to CoroCoro. I don't know whether they would intentionally leak information to CoroCoro, and I'm not sure how CoroCoro obtains their information.

You do realize CoroCoro is an official publication?

Just like with Pokemon and other game series, the companies give them the information and they publish it. It's not a leak. CoroCoro is basically a huge advertisement magazine that advertises upcoming games alongside original manga.

Clones don't really take resources from anyone. They've always just been extra characters they added when they didn't have enough time for a full character, but had enough to make some clones.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Characters like Falco, Lucina and Lucas probably wouldn't even be in Smash if they weren't clones, and I think a lot of people really like these characters, even if their moves are not entirely unique.

Cse

Banned
When I was a kid, the only difference I noticed in Mario and Doc were the different pills and their taunts.

Same for Falco. I remember just noticing his jump height and blaster speed and nothing else.

Pichu, Ganon, Roy and Young Link were a little easier to notice differences on. Pichu hurt himself and was super light, Ganon was way different than Falcon, Roy had fire on his attacks and Young Link had way less range and his specials had obvious differences from Link.

Lucina seems to be more of a Melee Falco/Doc clone than anything Brawl added as a clone.

Roy was also a little bit slower than Marth as well.

I think Lucina is going to be faster than Marth, but I'm curious to see just how much faster she will actually be.

I’m sure someone’s already analyzed him, but I think I finally have a solid grasp on Robin’s moves.

Standard Special Move - Thunder Magic
Side Special Move - Fire Magic
Up Special Move - Wind Magic
Down Special Move - Dark Magic

Hold B to cycle through stronger spells. For example, tapping B yields Thunder, but briefly holding B and then releasing the button results in Elthunder, holding B even longer gives you Arcthunder, and the longest charge produces Thoron. I imagine the same principle applies to the three other special moves.

Also, certain standard attacks change based on the most recently used tome. At 1:20 in the trailer, the third hit of Robin’s jab combo is an explosive flame, but at 1:40 it’s a multi-hit wind attack.

It’s also implied that tomes run out after a certain number of uses. Let’s say you’re given 20 uses of Thunder Magic per stock, and that Thunder counts as a single use, Elthunder counts as 2, Arcthunder counts as 3, and Thoron counts as 4. As soon as you reach some combination of 20, the Thunder tome is tossed away.

The Bronze Sword and Levin Sword are likely handled similarly. After 20 hits (again, these numbers are hypothetical), the Bronze Sword shatters and Robin pulls out the larger, more powerful Levin Sword.

You’ll really need to play smart when using Robin, hence his title as a tactician.

I wonder if the tome will be replenished or once it was been tossed you can't use them until you're 'dead'

Berordn

I wonder if Smash 4 is under the same circumstances as Melee, where the base roster is done, and there's some time, but not enough to make brand new characters.

If they were pretty reasonable with deadlines during development, the design doc wasn't filled to the point of bursting, and there's no Sonic-like situation, that seems pretty likely. Development doesn't seem to have been rushed at all, so they probably had the chance.

I just wonder when they contracted all these studios to make the trailers. If Lucina wasn't part of the initial design docs then the decision to have CGI trailers must have come later in development, which might explain why some of the characters look early in their respective trailers.

In regards to new zelda characters, I'd have to go with Fi. She looks awesome in hyrule warriors, and I think that all her moves and attacks could translate well to smash.

My second choice would be toon zelda, because if we're getting clones, we might as well get good ones, right?

Fi is a trophy.

Cse

Banned
You do realize CoroCoro is an official publication?

Just like with Pokemon and other game series, the companies give them the information and they publish it. It's not a leak. CoroCoro is basically a huge advertisement magazine that advertises upcoming games alongside original manga.

Ah, ok, well that clears that up. So, if that's the case, then I'm wondering if Nintendo is going to try and reveal the remaining newcomers through trailers instead of allowing them to be revealed via CoroCoro.

As mentioned, if they decide to reveal them though trailers, then we could very well see the next trailer within just a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom