• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wonder when they contracted all these studios to make the trailers. If Lucina wasn't part of the initial design docs then the decision to have CGI trailers must have come later in development, which might explain why some of the characters look early in their respective trailers.
To be honest, it may have been a happy accident Lucina was in Robin's trailer from the start and they did a quick edit to add the "Joins the fight" pop up to a video that already existed after making her a clone. Nothing in the actual CGI makes Lucina look like a fighter, she gets beat down in it, and only later says "I can't rest blah blah" but that's not CGI and wouldn't have had to have been remade when she was made playable.

We'll have to see if any other clones get revealed via a CGI trailer for someone else, or if any just don't have trailers.

georly

I’m sure someone’s already analyzed him, but I think I finally have a solid grasp on Robin’s moves.

Standard Special Move - Thunder Magic
Side Special Move - Fire Magic
Up Special Move - Wind Magic
Down Special Move - Dark Magic

Hold B to cycle through stronger spells. For example, tapping B yields Thunder, but briefly holding B and then releasing the button results in Elthunder, holding B even longer gives you Arcthunder, and the longest charge produces Thoron. I imagine the same principle applies to the three other special moves.

Also, certain standard attacks change based on the most recently used tome. At 1:20 in the trailer, the third hit of Robin’s jab combo is an explosive flame, but at 1:40 it’s a multi-hit wind attack.

It’s also implied that tomes run out after a certain number of uses. Let’s say you’re given 20 uses of Thunder Magic per stock, and that Thunder counts as a single use, Elthunder counts as 2, Arcthunder counts as 3, and Thoron counts as 4. As soon as you reach some combination of 20, the Thunder tome is tossed away.

The Bronze Sword and Levin Sword are likely handled similarly. After 20 hits (again, these numbers are hypothetical), the Bronze Sword shatters and Robin pulls out the larger, more powerful Levin Sword.

You’ll really need to play smart when using Robin, hence his title as a tactician.

Yeah, I like that idea. Seems like he'll be gimped like Popo losing nana after a point, but maybe he starts of super strong to compensate.

In FE awakening, levin sword has 20 uses, so 20 swings makes sense. Maybe some swings take more charges off.

For magic, it typically goes like:
Fire: 45
Elfire: 35
Arcfire: 30
Bolganone: 25

I think your 20 is a good magic number, as well. Anything higher and it gets into overpowered territory. I also hope 'stale moves' aka diminishing returns don't affect robin's tomes if he has limited charges.

Give Lucina Marth's Melee shield breaker

That's what I was hoping. It does look like she use's marth's brawl shield breaker against captain falcon, though :( :( :(

I was really hoping she'd be the melee to marth's brawl.

Trey

But Lucina is a facsimile of another character. It's canon that her fighting style is the same as Marth's.

Which is why she made more sense to me as an alt and not a full blown character. There's little actual difference between the two, they look extremely similar, and like you said it's canon that she's a clone.

I like Ike because while he is a swordsman with a counter and a shieldbreaker special like Marth, he plays and feels drastically different. He was a good replacement for Roy. Robin is his/her own character. Lucina is a clone of Marth: that's her identity, even moreso than Roy. And that's uninteresting to me when it comes to the roster of a fighter.

I’m sure someone’s already analyzed him, but I think I finally have a solid grasp on Robin’s moves.

Hold B to cycle through stronger spells. For example, tapping B yields Thunder, but briefly holding B and then releasing the button results in Elthunder, holding B even longer gives you Arcthunder, and the longest charge produces Thoron. I imagine the same principle applies to the three other special moves.

Also, certain standard attacks change based on the most recently used tome. At 1:20 in the trailer, the third hit of Robin’s jab combo is an explosive flame, but at 1:40 it’s a multi-hit wind attack.

It’s also implied that tomes run out after a certain number of uses. Let’s say you’re given 20 uses of Thunder Magic per stock, and that Thunder counts as a single use, Elthunder counts as 2, Arcthunder counts as 3, and Thoron counts as 4. As soon as you reach some combination of 20, the Thunder tome is tossed away.

The Bronze Sword and Levin Sword are likely handled similarly. After 20 hits (again, these numbers are hypothetical), the Bronze Sword shatters and Robin pulls out the larger, more powerful Levin Sword.

You’ll really need to play smart when using Robin, hence his title as a tactician.
Didn't the gamexplain analysis show Robin using two higher powered spells one after the other? Does that work if it's charging?

Also, we already knew Lucina was a complete clone yesterday, and she's boring. Let's talk about Dark Pit instead! How do you guys think Dark Pit would differentiate himself from normal Pit? Just stuff like silver bow instead of Palutena's and a different arm/orbiter? His height can't really be different, and it's not like Pit has a mechanic like Marth's blade. Maybe he'd just be more powerful?

Didn't the gamexplain analysis show Robin using two higher powered spells one after the other? Does that work if it's charging?

Also, we already knew Lucina was a complete clone yesterday, and she's boring. Let's talk about Dark Pit instead! How do you guys think Dark Pit would differentiate himself from normal Pit? Just stuff like silver bow instead of Palutena's and a different arm/orbiter? His height can't really be different, and it's not like Pit has a mechanic like Marth's blade. Maybe he'd just be more powerful?

Lucina boring?

Dark Pitt is literally just a darker color of Pitt.

At least Lucina is an entirely different looking character and gender.

DaBoss

It's hilarious how he says "we already knew she was a clone" yet he was continuously arguing that she is an alt for Marth yesterday.

Seems unlikely for his/her down special and up special since they seem like moves you wouldn't be able to charge.

Up special could be like Diddy's I guess, but I'm leaning towards no.

Which is why she made more sense to me as an alt and not a full blown character. There's little actual difference between the two, they look extremely similar, and like you said it's canon that she's a clone.

I like Ike because while he is a swordsman with a counter and a shieldbreaker special like Marth, he plays and feels drastically different. He was a good replacement for Roy. Robin is his/her own character. Lucina is a clone of Marth: that's her identity, even moreso than Roy. And that's uninteresting to me when it comes to the roster of a fighter.

If you're going to go through the effort to make an alt with new voice work and everything that could be its own character, it's worth it for them to take a few days and just tweak some stats and make them their own character.

Also we're not getting alts that are different characters unless the different character is literally a mirror image or something (like Dark Pit or maybe Daisy).

Lucina boring?

Yeah, but from a gameplay perspective, she's pretty much extactly the same, which we know, and there's not really anything interesting to talk about at this point except "what if she's more different?" which we have no way of knowing.

I wonder if Dark Pitt would even get move changes though, like changing Upperdash Arm to something else, or giving Power of Flight a different color. Seems like small changes, but apparently Lucina didn't get them, so I don't know if Dark Pitt will.

Ryce

Seems unlikely for his/her down special and up special since they seem like moves you wouldn't be able to charge.
Why not? His initial up special could be weak and have terrible recovery, but a level 4 up special might rocket him vertically with a giant gust of wind or something.

Clean:
daily-en_20140715_twjbb.jpg

"This yoga woman is not wearing appropriate footwear for the areas she is residing. This goddess is wearing only one stocking. This yellow mouse is promiscuously rolling around on its back, spreading all its appendages, during one of its taunts. This muscular ape is not wearing anything but a tie. We must warn the children of all this mild nudity."

Is Captain Falcon's first real name actually Douglas?
No, you just heard a tree branch scratching your window:

...dooooouglass ... dooooouuuuglasssss...

I take it you've missed the canonical F-Zero/Zelda connections.
Zelda need only cross over with this racing franchise, thank-you-very-much

If Smash 4 doesn't have at least 500 songs I'll be sad.

Brawl had at least 300 including jingles
I had a dream recently where I was listening to Smash 4's soundtrack, and it had upwards of a thousand songs. I don't think any game's soundtrack comes even close to that...

PKrockin

It's hilarious how he says "we already knew she was a clone" yet he was continuously arguing that she is an alt for Marth yesterday.

Up special could be like Diddy's I guess, but I'm leaning towards no.

Maybe they can't be charged. Maybe thunder is the only one that can be, because it's his signature element. He uses a Levin Sword and his tag is "brings the thunder" or something, after all.

It's hilarious how he says "we already knew she was a clone" yet he was continuously arguing that she is an alt for Marth yesterday.l
This never happened. I spent a lot of time arguing with the "we have no reason to believe she's a clone... Have you seen her whole moveset?" People yesterday.

NeonZ

How do you guys think Dark Pit would differentiate himself from normal Pit? Just stuff like silver bow instead of Palutena's and a different arm/orbiter? His height can't really be different, and it's not like Pit has a mechanic like Marth's blade. Maybe he'd just be more powerful?

Dark Pit could just retain Pit's Brawl attacks, rather than going with Pit's new moveset. That'd differentiate him more than a Dr.Mario or Falco type with little work.

Berordn

To be honest, it may have been a happy accident Lucina was in Robin's trailer from the start and they did a quick edit to add the "Joins the fight" pop up to a video that already existed after making her a clone. Nothing in the actual CGI makes Lucina look like a fighter, she gets beat down in it, and only later says "I can't rest blah blah" but that's not CGI and wouldn't have had to have been remade when she was made playable.

We'll have to see if any other clones get revealed via a CGI trailer for someone else, or if any just don't have trailers.

Yeah, I could see that. Looks like it was intended to be a fake-out for both Chrom and Lucina, and then the latter just ended up as a clone late in development.

Or maybe the trailer encouraged them to pick her over Chrom. Either way!

Anth0ny

Wouldn't it be easier to rack up damage with Lucina as a result of everything being spread out throughout the blade?

Perhaps. But Marth's tipper (and non tipper for certain combos) did a pretty good job of that too. The tipper also allowed Marth to kill at early percentages. Doesn't look like Lucina will have that luxury.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Every newcomer revealed to date is incredibly unique and creative with the exception of Lucina. It's okay for there to be one or two clones per dozen imaginative newcomers.

Yeah, this.

Well I guess even when the 3DS Version comes out we'll still have POTDs till the Wii U release, right?

Yeah, Daily Image Thread will become Wii U Daily Image Thread afterward to keep two threads separate for people who are not buying 3DS.

You know guys, it's time for some hard truths. Hard truths.

Takamaru isn't in this game

Obviously, he wouldn't but we wouldn't give up that easily tho.

Azure J

EDIT: Frog got bopped.

Lucina boring?

Honestly, they're both boring.

I'm very happy for Lucina fans and also happy to see another fan base catered to, but if we have to be real about what it means for game play, especially from someone who's played Marth since 2001, what about her inclusion should get me excited when Marth is right there next to her? What's more, you're saying that it's because of a gender swap that she's that much more interesting overall?

At least Dark Pit brings the potential of using different weaponry from the cornucopia that was Uprising's arsenal. Even then, they're both in the same nebulous area of cloning that I'm not a particularly big fan of outside of bringing in faces that should be in the roster/enhance the roster on a time limit.

I think we spend so so much time arguing about Lucina, not because we care about her specifically, but because her designation as a clone has implications for the roster size. If the Gematsu leak is still to be believed, and Lucina has her own slot, that puts us at 48+ characters, which means if there's a random slot, a 4x12 character select screen is insufficient.

I don't personally care whether she's a clone or an alt, but the revelation that our roster is bigger than 4x12 is very significant to me.

Lucina's moveset, no matter how similar or different the end product is, I can deal with but I'm a bit disappointed that there isn't much animation changes between her and Marth. At least the her sword stance from Awakening would have been nice. I was only kidding when I said I wanted a new Roy, Sakurai!

Unbounded

I feel like the fact that we even have clones in the first place implies that the roster is completely done or has been done for a while, all the custom movesets are complete, and all they're really doing at this stage is balances/tweaks and finishing touches.

This never happened. I spent a lot of time arguing with the "we have no reason to believe she's a clone... Have you seen her whole moveset?" People yesterday.

How does someone argue continuously for hours against those who believed she was a clone if you have that opinion that it could go either way? Plus, you argued that you have seen her whole moveset and that it was too similar.

EDIT: Oh well look at that. I should have known better.

Azure J

I would've actually liked it if he was a paired character like Ice Climbers. Would've been cool.

Paired up Chrom/Lucina was pretty much the most interesting thing ever suggested for the two of them and something I actually would have looked forward to. I think I broke down different approaches to "doubles" or multi-characters in another thread but the way I see them, there are five molds:

Tag: would work like Diddy and Dixie in the DKC games where one is always in the foreground and a button press summons the other person so long as they're in range to tag in and fight with their own move set.

Mirror: Two characters that completely mimic one another's attacks and attack simultaneously or with short delays between inputs on the player controlled lead and the AI controlled secondary. This brand of double character is already present with the Ice Climbers.

Sequence: A double character setup where the two characters follow up on the lead attack started by one of the two characters. Essentially, think of this as being a dance wherein one starts, the other follows who then becomes the lead, and the the initial lead follows in that order.

"Point" & "Assist": A double character setup where one character is relegated to a support role and generates a set means of support when summoned. Could also be combined with the Tag archetype.

Stand/Puppeteer: A double character setup where one dedicated character generates another figure that can be controlled remotely while the dedicated character engages elsewhere. This is the niche of Rosalina & Luma.

A theoretical Chrom + Lucina could have been really cool as a take on sequence based double characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom