• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 9: F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

Honest question: How many people here actually want Ridley in and aren't just supporting him because:

- You are doing it for someone else
- You're in it for the idea of more diversity (in this case villanous/creature)

I've pretty much begun to realize over time that I have no real personal hype (at least not to the levels the greater internet have taken it to) for the character so much as it's one of those "it'd be cool for others if it happened, so why not" situations for me.

Neiteio

They actually did announce another Pac-Man game coming to Wii U like a month prior to reveal.

Which gives two over Snake.
Eh, Snake didn't have any recent games on Nintendo systems when he appeared on Wii. Twin Snakes was the gen before. At least in the current WiiU/3DS cycle, there's Snake Eater 3D.

Again, not saying I expect him, just saying that he's not definitively ruled out yet.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Silver, Blaze, Eggman, Chaos, & I think Cream & Cheese.

Thanks, for some reason I dont remember them getting trophies, which is weird, cause I often go out of my way to get trophies in smash.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That didn't stop Miis from appearing online in MK8 or any other online feature that uses Miis like miiverse.
Or the fact the Wii U system is based around Miis with WaraWare and Miiverse. Easy way around dodgy Miis, just restrict online to ones NNID. Also they apparently have a reporting system (judging by the online rules they posted) so one could always report an offensive Mii.

Durden77

Megaman. He certainly doesn't have a game coming out anytime soon.

Sakurai has full control over the roster. That's been said many times. Not to mention Iwata liked Snake's inclusion.

I still don't see how Snake has any less of a 50/50 chance. It really just comes down to Sakurai saying yes or no, and I don't know why he'd say no. Unless the whole Sutherland thing actually does cause an issue.

Neiteio

Honest question: How many people here actually want Ridley in and aren't just supporting him because:

I've pretty much begun to realize over time that I have no real personal hype (at least not to the levels the greater internet have taken it to) for the character so much as it's one of those "it'd be cool for others if it happened, so why not" situations for me.
Part of Ridley's appeal is definitely the meta-narrative of the larger Smash community, for sure. But I also find him legitimately appealing as a character.

Samus and Ridley are "Beauty and the Beast." The most disparate-looking rival pair in gaming. I'd love to battle it out in Smash.

I imagine Miyamoto namechecking Metroid with promises that they haven't actually forgotten it has calmed a lot of people down. I don't think the Ridley fervor is as high as once was.

Though if you ask me, I think he was pretty definitively confirmed as a boss.

It's already better. Some of the brawl enemy designs were just... atrocious...

ibjEnVpvmvkJcx.jpg

i5kq9VEhnvOW5.JPG

iqzX5rFHyhECT.jpg

Feyesh.JPG

Hope these guys make it back in

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Seriously, guys:

A PotD of Snake, Pac-Man, Mega Man and Sonic.

Caption: "All of the guests have arrived!"

It's too perfect.

You just know sakurai would add a line like "or is someone running late?" even if that was everyone just to see the internet explode.

I genuinely want Ridley because I feel Metroid deserves another rep and he's their only real option. I've wanted him in leading into Brawl and he's one of the few characters I think is still a glaring omission from the roster.

Tyeforce

I don't really care much for Ridley as a character, personally, but I just want to see him in Smash Bros. because he's one of the most iconic Nintendo villain characters that isn't playable yet, along with King K. Rool. We could just not get any more villains in Smash Bros., but if we do, I believe Ridley and King K. Rool are first in line. So yeah, I don't really have any personal hype for Ridley, either. I just think Smash Bros. could use more villains, and Ridley's next in line.

Neiteio

Or the fact the Wii U system is based around Miis with WaraWare and Miiverse. Easy way around dodgy Miis, just restrict online to ones NNID. Also they apparently have a reporting system (judging by the online rules they posted) so one could always report an offensive Mii.
Having Jesus kung-fu kick the Prophet Muhammad might be more offensive than a shell whizzing by and hitting a religious figure whose head is obscured by a helmet.

Neiteio

I imagine Miyamoto namechecking Metroid with promises that they haven't actually forgotten it has calmed a lot of people down. I don't think the Ridley fervor is as high as once was.

Though if you ask me, I think he was pretty definitively confirmed as a boss.
In terms of what we have to work with objectively, Ridley appears to be a boss.

I just like to remind people that Sakurai has a long history of playing tricks.

Azure J

I don't really care much for Ridley as a character, personally, but I just want to see him in Smash Bros. because he's one of the most iconic Nintendo villain characters that isn't playable yet, along with King K. Rool. We could just not get any more villains in Smash Bros., but if we do, I believe Ridley and King K. Rool are first in line. So yeah, I don't really have any personal hype for Ridley, either. I just think Smash Bros. could use more villains, and Ridley's next in line.

Personally, if it's villains, I'd take Medusa over any of these.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Having Jesus kung-fu kick the Prophet Muhammad might be more offensive than a shell whizzing by and hitting a religious figure whose head is obscured by a helmet.
But if it is restricted to the NNID then you'd have to keep changing Mii via the NNID settings which is rather cumbersome thus would put many people off playing with joke Miis.

I have no idea if online works with more than one player per console, but if it doesn't that scenario would require two strangers picking religious based Miis and ending up in the same match. And like I said, if it is so offensive just report it.

GamerSoul

I think reality is starting to hit most about Ridley as we start to get a better picture of what the final roster will be.

Imagine all the Hitlers and dictators running around if Mii Fighters were allowed online with anyone.

true but at the same time it feels a little disappointing, even if it's justified, to exclude a character if customization is not the main reason. But again I understand the reasoning.

Neiteio

But if it is restricted to the NNID then you'd have to keep changing Mii via the NNID settings which is rather cumbersome thus would put many people off playing with joke Miis.

I have no idea if online works with more than one player per console, but if it doesn't that scenario would require two strangers picking religious based Miis and ending up in the same match. And like I said, if it is so offensive just report it.
They're not going to restrict your Mii to the one assigned to your NNID. I'm sure it'll be like MK8 where you choose Mii Fighters and then you're prompted to pick one of the Miis on your system.

Neiteio

I think reality is starting to hit most about Ridley as we start to get a better picture of what the final roster will be.
Yeah, I was letting myself look at Ridley's shadow and wonder, "What if" much more before it became apparent how spot-on the Gematsu leak really is

Or maybe Ridley's in and the leaker doesn't want to spoil the surprise, lol

Tyeforce

Personally, if it's villains, I'd take Medusa over any of these.
I like Medusa (and Hades) better than Ridley and King K. Rool, personally, too, but I can't imagine getting a Kid Icarus villain before a Metroid or Donkey Kong villain. That'd be like getting an EarthBound/MOTHER villain. Not gonna happen, sorry.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They're not going to restrict your Mii to the one assigned to your NNID. I'm sure it'll be like MK8 where you choose Mii Fighters and then you're prompted to pick one of the Miis on your system.
I'm offering a solution for online. Of course they're not restricting it to the NNID, they're not even going to allow it at this rate.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I think Ridley and K. Rool are a must. They are the iconic nemesis to Samus and DK respectively. It's like not having Bowser or Ganondorf. To me it makes no sense for them to be absent.

Edit: I also find it ridiculous that Metroid still only has one rep. One of Nintendo's biggest franchises having one rep is absurd. Samus has been there from the start of the series and is still alone. While Pit was added in the last and already has another rep. Metroid has loads of characters it's not that hard to pick. At this point I'll take a generic space pirate.

I'm trying to think of who I used to think was guaranteed in Smash this time.

I was convinced Magnus was a lock. I guessed correctly on Rosalina. I thought Pokemon Trainer would be updated to the X/Y starters so I'm like one-third right there.

Azure J

If anyone else would get in, Hades >>>>>

But something about having multiple people from one entry like that would rub me the wrong way.

Always found it weird how people actually felt this way about roster selections honestly. The way I see it, if one franchise gets that many newcomers, that's cool so long as they bring something new to the table. Brawl finally gave us Dedede and Metaknight after years of waiting and I don't think there's anyone who'd argue against their simultaneous inclusion (salt about how MK exploited the worst aspects of Brawl's fighting design aside).

JediLink

*Raises hand*

I'm a huge Metroid fan. Self explanatory.

I don't think K.Rool is all that iconic to Donkey Kong, but we've had that discussion before.

It does seem, at very least, that Nintendo agrees with me in this regard.

Neiteio

I was convinced Magnus was a lock. I guessed correctly on Rosalina. I thought Pokemon Trainer would be updated to the X/Y starters so I'm like one-third right there.
I was convinced of Palutena, Pac-Man, Mii, Little Mac and Chrom. I felt they would all be in, before any of the leaks.

Didn't think Villager was possible.

Didn't think Mega Man was realistic.

Would've never even thought about Wii Fit Trainer (but super-stoked for her).

Rosalina is surprising in that they made a truly unique character of her. I don't think anyone saw the "& Luma" angle coming.

Greninja caught me totally off-guard but is WONDERFUL.

Didn't have any particular thoughts about Shulk.

Would've never even thought about Chorus Men.

Durden77

Have you really looked at Magnus' AT? I swear he was being developed to be playable at one point.

He has a set of ground attacks, air attacks, double jump, a roll, and he can be hit and footstooled!

Personally I think he would've been a ridiculous inclusion, so I'm glad the plug was pulled. Sakurai sure does love his characters. ..

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Always found it weird how people actually felt this way about roster selections honestly. The way I see it, if one franchise gets that many newcomers, that's cool so long as they bring something new to the table. Brawl finally gave us Dedede and Metaknight after years of waiting and I don't think there's anyone who'd argue against their simultaneous inclusion (salt about how MK exploited the worst aspects of Brawl's fighting design aside).

Oh, I didn't mean one entry of smash, but 2 being from Uprising(giving us 3 KI characters when the series is only two games strong). I was totally fine with MK and DDD, since Kirby has been a long running franchise with them all being important. Which still might seem pretty petty, lol.

In the long run I don't care when I finally get the game and play with the characters anyway, but goddamn Metroid should have something more than Samus and also Samus.

Azure J

Ah I gotcha now Papercuts.

Man, just looking at my roster prediction from IntelliHeath's contest thread makes me laugh so hard from time to time. No one can predict this man unless it's telegraphed as fuck (Chrom & Palutena).

So far the only ones I saw happening were Palutena and Megaman and the latter was such a uncertainty given the climate around the IP when the first hints of Smash 4 news started circulating.

Neiteio

Have you really looked at Magnus' AT? I swear he was being developed to be playable at one point.

He has a set of ground attacks, air attacks, double jump, a roll, and he can be hit and footstooled!

Personally I think he would've been a ridiculous inclusion, so I'm glad the plug was pulled. Sakurai sure does love his characters. ..
I don't know, Magnus probably would've been a really fun character. The Magnus Club is my weapon of choice in KIU multiplayer. Hits like a semi-truck!

He struck me as Metaknight to Kid Icarus without being as similar as Pittoo was. I figured Sakurai created him solely to put him in to Smash!

Golnei

I don't know, Magnus probably would've been a really fun character. The Magnus Club is my weapon of choice in KIU multiplayer. Hits like a semi-truck!

He's cute, but unnecessary at this point. Maybe he can find his way into Smash '5' after the Gaol & Magnus spinoff game launches.

Neiteio

He struck me as Metaknight to Kid Icarus without being as similar as Pittoo was. I figured Sakurai created him solely to put him in to Smash!
I remember saying that back during E3 2010 when Magnus was first unveiled alongside Uprising. I remember thinking that Magnus (and later Ghirahim) both looked like Smash material. Back then, it was even harder to picture newcomers for Smash since so few new characters were being invented.

GamerSoul

Yeah, I was letting myself look at Ridley's shadow and wonder, "What if" much more before it became apparent how spot-on the Gematsu leak really is

Or maybe Ridley's in and the leaker doesn't want to spoil the surprise, lol

True it aint over until it's over even if were getting a clearer picture. And if Nintendo officially announces DLC for the game, the topic will be discussed once again. lol

iirc, Palutena was the only one I truly believed would be in without question. Chrom too.

Durden77

I mean, sure he would've probably been as fun as any other character...

But Magnus? Really?!

Oh no doubt. And Sakurai almost put him in from the looks of it, the crazy bastard. If Sakurai makes the next Smash, especially with more Magnus inbetween, he'll surely be in.

Neiteio

Not sure if you guys caught this, but one anecdote shared at the Smash roundtable was when Sakurai picked Greninja based on his earliest reference drawings, he took all of the material home that day and stayed up until midnight hammering out a move-set. :-D

I can't imagine how great it must be for Nintendo's marketing department that a shitload of people play their games wondering if the new characters will be in the next Smash.

It creates pretty immediate and useful brand identification.

Tyeforce

Okay, so here's my revised, optimistic roster (R.I.P. Tingle). It assumes no cuts from Brawl (except Squirtle and Ivysaur) and the remaining three leaked newcomers, plus three additional newcomers. Of course, I don't expect all of these characters to be on the final roster, but these are all of the characters that I feel are within the realm of possibility.

8eAaNs.png

I know the whole 47/48 character roster idea has a lot of support now, and I won't deny that it's very likely, but I'd like to think that there may be just a few more characters than that, even if they end up being DLC, so that's what my roster assumes. Also, in case you're wondering, yes, it would fit on the character select screen:
A bit crowded, yes, and the aspect ratio of the slots had to be altered, but it works. The 3DS character select screen wouldn't really be an issue since it could scroll.

Again, I'm not saying that I think the final roster will have 55 slots like mine, but I think it's still possible to have a roster of more than 47/48 characters, at least. The 47 character roster with four cuts plus the three leaked characters just seems a bit lacking to me. There are some characters that really feel like they need to be there, like Mewtwo and Takamaru.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom