• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 9: F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyeforce

Also, for those who say that 48 slots fit in two screens perfectly on the 3DS...well, it's not quite a perfect fit. There are actually a couple columns of empty pixels to the left of the roster.
ACxIGuQ.png

It's nitpicking, I know, but why would that be? It could mean nothing at all, and it probably doesn't, but I thought it was an interesting observation. I can't imagine the final character select screen having blank space on one side like that. At the very least it means that the icons are likely to change a little bit before release, so who knows what the final character select screen will look like.

Neiteio

I can't imagine how great it must be for Nintendo's marketing department that a shitload of people play their games wondering if the new characters will be in the next Smash.

It creates pretty immediate and useful brand identification.
Yep. And I'm sure if there was a subset of psychology for us Nintendo fanboys, the shrink would say we like new IPs because of their potential for Smash.

The secret subconscious appeal of Splatoon!

Ah I gotcha now Papercuts.

Man, just looking at my roster prediction from IntelliHeath's contest thread makes me laugh so hard from time to time. No one can predict this man unless it's telegraphed as fuck (Chrom & Palutena).

So far the only ones I saw happening were Palutena and Megaman and the latter was such a uncertainty given the climate around the IP when the first hints of Smash 4 news started circulating.

Mine is already dead.

Golnei

My Kid Icarus priority list goes:

1) Palutena
2) Hades / Medusa
3) Everyone else

I'd rank them, excluding Palutena;

1) Medusa (NES seniority)
2) Hades
3) Phosphora
4) Magnus
5) Pandora
6) Everyone else.

Not counting any awesome new characters who'd show up in that sequel we're definitely getting sometime earlier than 2037.

Neiteio

If anyone looks at my roster prediction (80+ slots, 100+ characters), please understand that was done as an exercise in "Well, what if they threw in everything and the kitchen sink," and wasn't meant to be a realistic prediction!

What's funny, though, is even when I thought up an 80-slot roster, I still didn't get Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina & Luma, Chorus Men, etc.

Azure J

I remember saying that back during E3 2010 when Magnus was first unveiled alongside Uprising. I remember thinking that Magnus (and later Ghirahim) both looked like Smash material. Back then, it was even harder to picture newcomers for Smash since so few new characters were being invented.

To be honest, I thought one part of Uprising's immense focus on great characterization was because Sakurai was home growing some new Smash candidates. After Brawl, barring my own appreciation for certain relic or moderately antiquated Nintendo franchises, it was really really hard to think of new characters that would be featured in the next entry.

This actually also makes inclusions like Shulk, Wii Fit Trainer and Chorus Kids incredible to me just because of the short amount of turn around they will all have versus some "franchise fillers" or new franchise representatives that make all the sense but never show up. :lol

Jintor

I can't imagine how great it must be for Nintendo's marketing department that a shitload of people play their games wondering if the new characters will be in the next Smash.

It creates pretty immediate and useful brand identification.

Can't believe Sony screwed the pooch so badly with their character select for All-Stars. Granted most of their PSOne era icons are out of their hands, but still

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Not sure if you guys caught this, but one anecdote shared at the Smash roundtable was when Sakurai picked Greninja based on his earliest reference drawings, he took all of the material home that day and stayed up until midnight hammering out a move-set. :-D

I was surprised to hear it was picked off of that.

I'm also kinda curious to know if that's why the Gematsu leak only said a generic "pokemon x/y rep" as it would point to the leaker being there when the design work was in the early stages.

Neiteio

To be honest, I thought one part of Uprising's immense focus on great characterization was because Sakurai was home growing some new Smash candidates. After Brawl, barring my own appreciation for certain relic or moderately antiquated Nintendo franchises, it was really really hard to think of new characters that would be featured in the next entry.

This actually also makes inclusions like Shulk, Wii Fit Trainer and Chorus Kids incredible to me just because of the short amount of turn around they will all have versus some "franchise fillers" or new franchise representatives that make all the sense but never show up. :lol
Yep, I thought the same thing. After Uprising, there was a time where I thought we might get four or more Kid Icarus characters. It wouldn't seem altogether unreasonable, either, since there are three Sakurai creations from Kirby.

Neiteio

I'm also kinda curious to know if that's why the Gematsu leak only said a generic "pokemon x/y rep" as it would point to the leaker being there when the design work was in the early stages.
Yeah, seems to suggest the leaker was there at the onset when Greninja's spot was just the reserved spot for an X/Y Pokémon.

Yeah, seems to suggest the leaker was there at the onset when Greninja's spot was just the reserved spot for an X/Y Pokémon.

Must have been one hell of a decision. Stranger yet is that Greninja turned out to be the most popular Gen VI starter. It's like everything Sakurai touches turns into gold.

Hatchtag

Banned

Actually, I don't know if that's true. There's several reasons he could not know Greninja's name:
-Being there in the early stages, as you said
-Not having enough interest in Pokemon to remember it
-Not getting info directly, and the source not being interested enough to remember it
-Having gotten his info before Greninja was named (this seems fairly plausible to me, as he clearly had info before X and Y came out, so it's plausible that Greninja either wasn't named then, or didn't have a U.S. name at that point).

I honestly think just not having enough interest in Pokemon is the most likely reason, though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Must have been one hell of a decision. Stranger yet is that Greninja turned out to be the most popular Gen VI starter. It's like everything Sakurai touches turns into gold.

Let's be honest, you only need to take one look at that tongue scarf before you know that pokemon is baller as fuck.

Azure J

Let's be honest, you only need to take one look at that tongue scarf before you know that pokemon is baller as fuck.

Greninja was the first time since Red/Blue that I looked at the water starter, found out what its final form looked like and jumped on that shit ASAP.

Terrell

I see reality is starting to set in. And only a few more months to go, I should start crafting humiliating avatars now in preparation.

And I love the Mii Fighters. Best possible integration we could have hoped for.

Crocodile

I'm trying to think of who I used to think was guaranteed in Smash this time.

I was convinced Magnus was a lock. I guessed correctly on Rosalina. I thought Pokemon Trainer would be updated to the X/Y starters so I'm like one-third right there.

I had that same line of thought before actually playing Uprising - all the pre-release info made him seem like a big deal. Once you play the game and realize, in the grand scheme of things, he was a small fry, I think I would have been legit upset if he got in over Palutena, Medusa or Hades.

Darryl

Banned
I'd rank them, excluding Palutena;

1) Medusa (NES seniority)
2) Hades
3) Phosphora
4) Magnus
5) Pandora
6) Everyone else.

Not counting any awesome new characters who'd show up in that sequel we're definitely getting sometime earlier than 2037.

1) Phosphora
2) Everyone Else

Also I like the people still optimistic for Isaac inclusion. I was originally optimistic for him to be included, maybe not so much anymore. I think that dream is dead.

Golnei

I had that same line of thought before actually playing Uprising - all the pre-release info made him seem like a big deal. Once you play the game and realize, in the grand scheme of things, he was a small fry, I think I would have been legit upset if he got in over Palutena, Medusa or Hades.

Well, he was still playable, and three chapters is more than many of the game's characters had. He seems to have potential if the series continues, especially now that he's teamed back up with Gaol as seen in the penultimate chapter.
(And the story behind their(?) kid is still unexplored.)
. Though I agree that he's definitely not on the same level as Palutena, Medusa, Viridi or Hades.

Golnei

Also, while a mere palette swap could never compare to having Medusa in the game, Palutena actually looks pretty good in her colour scheme. I wonder how difficult a palette editor would be to implement...

SoulUnison

Banned
A Sonic stage where Robotnik periodically showed up in his egg mobile would be cool. He could start swinging a pendulum around and stuff.

You'll take your Windy Hill Zone (Lost World) and like it! :mad:

(I would have much preferred Green Hill returned over flash-in-the-pan Windy Hill.)

Axass

Honest question: How many people here actually want Ridley in and aren't just supporting him because:

- You are doing it for someone else
- You're in it for the idea of more diversity (in this case villanous/creature)

Of course I want him,I'd be jumping all over the place if he was in.

Okay, so here's my revised, optimistic roster (R.I.P. Tingle). It assumes no cuts from Brawl (except Squirtle and Ivysaur) and the remaining three leaked newcomers, plus three additional newcomers. Of course, I don't expect all of these characters to be on the final roster, but these are all of the characters that I feel are within the realm of possibility.

z28omv.png

I know the whole 47/48 character roster idea has a lot of support now, and I won't deny that it's very likely, but I'd like to think that there may be just a few more characters than that, even if they end up being DLC, so that's what my roster assumes. Also, in case you're wondering, yes, it would fit on the character select screen:

A bit crowded, yes, and the aspect ratio of the slots had to be altered, but it works. The 3DS character select screen wouldn't really be an issue since it could scroll.

Again, I'm not saying that I think the final roster will have 55 slots like mine, but I think it's still possible to have a roster of more than 47/48 characters, at least. The 47 character roster with four cuts plus the three leaked characters just seems a bit lacking to me. There are some characters that really feel like they need to be there, like Mewtwo and Takamaru.

We now have the exact same roster, aside from Dixie, I ditched the random to add her. After all it isn't there in the 3DS version, and that's the version they're finalizing. It could take another shape, or just not exist like in Melee and Smash 64. Also space is really a non-issue, if they're gonna add DLC characters they'll change around the roster quite a bit.

Durden77

:eyes kid icarus copy on shelf

Man... I should... replay you or something

I'm runnin through Fire Emblem now. Got half way through back when it launched. So glad I've gone back to it. Such a great game, and now after beefing him up, Chrom hype is at maximum levels. He be a BEAST.

Just been Nintendo'in it up like crazy actually. After FE gonna finally play A Link Between Worlds. Too much Smash talk always does this to me.

ffdgh

I really should start a lunatic save on awakening but...that darn 3 save limit sucks.

Same for me, Palutena hype is making me want to replay and finish everything at 9.0 difficulty.

Artillery claws makes 9.0 a breeze...aside from chapter 18 and 25.

Durden77

I really should start a lunatic save on awakening but...that darn 3 save limit sucks.

Artillery claws makes 9.0 a breeze...aside from chapter 18 and 25.

I could never really wrap my head around the weapon stats system in that game. I loved everything about that game including the weapons, but I could never get fully sucked in because of this.

Also, is lunitic a difficulty? Been a long time since I've started the game.

Jintor

I got a Wii U so I'm gonna start up Wind Waker HD, LTTP (for the second time since I was, like, 8), Super Metroid and Mother at some point

I wish I could play them on my 3ds tho. The SNES stuff I mean.

Durden77

I got a Wii U so I'm gonna start up Wind Waker HD, LTTP (for the second time since I was, like, 8), Super Metroid and Mother at some point

I wish I could play them on my 3ds tho. The SNES stuff I mean.

Indeed. It would be so nice. The gamepad is cool to play them on though. Reaches my bed so it's nice.

Earthbound's another I gotta get back to. Still very early on in that game.

ffdgh

I could never really wrap my head around the weapon stats system in that game. I loved everything about that game including the weapons, but I could never get fully sucked in because of this.

Also, is lunitic a difficulty? Been a long time since I've started the game.

Yup and after lunatic is beat, lunatic+ difficulty is unlocked.

Durden77

Metroid 1 is legit tho. Still legit today. Metroid 2, not so much.

I just beat Metroid 1 for the first time the other day. One of the first games I've ever played, and I've been trying to beat it on and off for like 20 years now. Felt so good to finally kill the original Mother Brain myself. And yeah, it's aged but it's still awesome.

Metroid 2.....yeah. Played that for the first time and beat it a few weeks ago after finishing 1. I can see why it's the black sheep. Like seriously, the fuck is that music? Is that EVEN music?

People setting themselves up to be hurt thinking Snake will be back or that the final roster will be more then 47 with the gematsu leak plus brawl vets minus snake, ivysaur, squirtle, and lucas

This is deja vu from brawl, and from mvc3 when both those games rosters got leaked and people denied it until the last moment.

Village

People setting themselves up to be hurt thinking Snake will be back or that the final roster will be more then 47 with the gematsu leak plus brawl vets minus snake, ivysaur, squirtle, and lucas

This is deja vu from brawl, and from mvc3 when both those games rosters got leaked and people denied it until the last moment.

Eh nintendo isn't capcom

plus the leaker was not sure about lucas.

Plus he missed a character before. I'm not saying don't believe him, just don't put all your eggs in that basket. That shit never works out, then you loose all your eggs, and how will you make breakfast?

Durden77

But this game's roster hasn't been leaked. Only the newcomers.

The leak is legit, that's looking unquestionable at this point. But for everything the leak doesn't mention, there's nothing but speculation.

NotLiquid

Random thought of the day: I like how the victory results theme is the character select theme from the original Smash.

But it only makes me miss the fact that we don't have a dedicated character select music any more. Kind of odd how the first one was the only one to have that. It got me incredibly pumped up for battle.

I've said this a lot but in terms of the arcade-like presentation, the original Smash still hasn't been topped in a few areas.

But this game's roster hasn't been leaked. Only the newcomers.

The leak is legit, that's looking unquestionable at this point. But for everything the leak doesn't mention, there's nothing but speculation.
Not really. We have good reason to believe Lucas isn't back, and we can use available information about the select screen to go from there. In all likelihood, Snake and the two Pokemon are gone as well. There's no reason to expect any Melee veterans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom