• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 9: F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asking again. Is Megaman safe now that Capcom could be bought by another?

Uh... I can't really answer that but using common sense:
Yes. Unless the company who buys Capcom are total retards and decide that they no longer want glorious promotion for one of their IPs.

Eh nintendo isn't capcom

plus the leaker was not sure about lucas.

Plus he missed a character before. I'm not saying don't believe him, just don't put all your eggs in that basket. That shit never works out, then you loose all your eggs, and how will you make breakfast?

I didn't know Brawl was a Capcom game :O

Pachimari

I'm currently going through my "first" Zelda in Ocarina of Time 3D, and I expect to play through Mother 2 (Earthbound) as well - just to get to know the different characters.

Smash Bros is really wanna make me play the different franchises, and I haven't even owned a Smash Bros.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm not saying don't believe him, just don't put all your eggs in that basket. That shit never works out, then you loose all your eggs, and how will you make breakfast?

Yes, even if the leak is much stronger now than it was before it is always good to be a sceptic until the very end.

Durden77

Not really. We have good reason to believe Lucas isn't back, and we can use available information about the select screen to go from there. In all likelihood, Snake and the two Pokemon are gone as well. There's no reason to expect any Melee veterans.

Cool, so speculation?

I mean really guys, I'm not saying this whole select screen theory is false, but people state it like it's confirmed shit when in the same leak it talks about DLC. If it's characters, where are they gonna fit when the time comes?

Not to mention, the screen is far from final, and people have been able to fit more than 47 characters as well. Plus, regardless of how much people seem to think Snake is cut, I could say the same thing about Jigglypuff. How do you know it's Snake? The only characters we have any leads on for cuts is the Pokemon and Lucas. Saying Snake is one of the four is just speculation that has grown so large it leads people to say that. And we don't even know for sure if we're getting four cuts in the first place.

If there's anything I've learned from Sakurai with Smash over the years, it's that good luck predicting his desicions. And assuming things too hastily can make you look foolish. We've got over 3 months. Chill out, let's talk.

Cool, so speculation?

I mean really guys, I'm not saying this whole select screen theory is false, but people state it like it's confirmed shit when in the same leak it talks about DLC. If it's characters, where are they gonna fit when the time comes?

Not to mention, the screen is far from final, and people have been able to fit more than 47 characters as well. Plus, regardless of how much people seem to think Snake is cut, I could say the same thing about Jigglypuff. How do you know it's Snake? The only characters we have any leads on for cuts is the Pokemon and Lucas. Saying Snake is one of the four is just speculation that has grown so large it leads people to say that. And we don't even know for sure if we're getting four cuts in the first place.

If there's anything I've learned from Sakurai with Smash over the years, it's that good luck predicting his desicions. And assuming things too hastily can make you look foolish. We've got over 3 months. Chill out, let's talk.
You can't say the same about Jigglypuff, there's no reason to think Jigglypuff will be cut. Your speculation doesn't carry the same weight, as it doesn't have anything backing it up. Besides, Lucas, a veteran, is specifically mentioned as probably being cut in a leak. So your original claim wasn't true.

DLC characters will obviously have a new page.

Axass

Cool, so speculation?

I agree completely. I believe the leak, but he has said nowhere that Lucas is cut or that those are the only newcomers: it's fine if one wants to speculate, just don't pass it up as fact.

Besides as you said, the leaker only mentioned Lucas or Ness possibly being cut, going by the "leak has implied the final roster" reasoning, Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur would be in. Why talking of a possible cut, and not of the other three that would be already decided?

Also the RosalinaX leak has been more or less disproven in the past, so let's not take that as more validation of the salromano leak.

As for the space, Tyeforce has shown you can fit up to 55 slots in the select screen, and look how huge they still are, like twice the length of Brawl's ones. One could argue there's space for around 70 charcaters if Sakurai wanted, he'd just have to shrink those slots more.

Also, for those who say that 48 slots fit in two screens perfectly on the 3DS...well, it's not quite a perfect fit. There are actually a couple columns of empty pixels to the left of the roster.
ACxIGuQ.png

It's nitpicking, I know, but why would that be?
If I had to guess, you are going to be able to scroll left and right someway. Probably what you are pointing at is they forgot to get rid of that during the E3 build. If the blurry screenshot is right, there is a build that has Captain Falcon and Ganondorf in it.

People can hope and dream, but Sakurai himself said he did not want a 50 character roster. 47 seems to be the more realistic expectation.

Durden77

You can't say the same about Jigglypuff, there's no reason to think Jigglypuff will be cut. Your speculation doesn't carry the same weight, as it doesn't have anything backing it up. Besides, Lucas, a veteran, is specifically mentioned as probably being cut in a leak. So your original claim wasn't true.

DLC characters will obviously have a new page.

All I said originally was that the roster has not been leaked. How is that not true? It hasn't.

If I remember correctly, Jigglypuff was of low priority in Brawl. She was one of the last to be included, along with Wolf and Toon Link. What's to think that might not happen again? I don't think she'll be cut, but who knows. We could say there was no reason for Mewtwo to be cut in Brawl, and there really wasn't. He was even being worked on. But in the end, he was.

Hell, Jigglypuff could be cut and be replaced by Mewtwo!

Oh yes. And DLC characters will obviously have a new page. OBVIOUSLY.

Face it man, we don't know. We can talk about it all we want which makes it exciting, but we don't know. And Sakurai has proved that many times over the series.

Uhm... I see more and more people believing the leaker, but I'm still sceptical.

Correct me if I'm wrong, we know for sure he guessed Little Mac, Palutena, Mii and Pac-Man.
- Little Mac returned in the new Punch-Out for Wii.
- Palutena was teased to death. Sakurai also developed Kid Icarus Uprising. Furthermore, he said he was going to put more female characters in Smash 4.
- Mii is also playable in MKW, MK7, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, basically every Nintendo character-based online game.
- Pac-Man is Namco's rep.

I don't count Greninja as an actual prediction -- every Smash introduced a Pokémon from the latest generation, and of course Smash 4 is no exception. He simply said "Pokémon from X/Y".

The hardly predictable characters are Villager, WFT, Shulk and Chorus Men. The first two were posted after their reveal. The latter remain to be seen.

And he completely failed to predict Rosalina.

Everyone already responded to most of your (uninformed) post but failing to predict Rosalina matters why?

I'm not particularly interested in taking you up on it, but what would the bet be about?

I have a feeling that with so many heavy-hitting newcomers this time around, they'll keep it a little more understated in the next installment and capitalize on a "rogues gallery" theme. Basically, the bet's that Ridley, King K. Rool and Mach Rider will be in SSB5.

Kinhow

I'm still bitter with this roster, I was hoping for an Advance Wars character or Lip... They didn't even had a chance... :(

RiggyRob

I have a feeling that with so many heavy-hitting newcomers this time around, they'll keep it a little more understated in the next installment and capitalize on a "rogues gallery" theme. Basically, the bet's that Ridley, King K. Rool and Mach Rider will be in SSB5.

Sounds like an easy bet to take if you're including all three, even if it is essentially a 6 year bet.

Not for me, though.

Village

Unlikely, Sony wouldn't be able to afford it.

I dunno about that

But people forget that all the non video game parts of sony are currently exploding
Especially their movie division who is trying to struggle on with spider-man, a franchise that is loosing steam at a rate a franchise named " SPIDER MAN " shouldn't be. Because the word of mouth about those movies is that their are butt butt teir.

Pompadour

People can hope and dream, but Sakurai himself said he did not want a 50 character roster. 47 seems to be the more realistic expectation.

Do we have his original quote available? I remember reading his comments on a "50 character roster" as him stating that he realizes he just can't add a bunch of new characters and call it a day. Sakurai likely realizes there's diminishing returns with each new game's newcomers as he has to dig deeper into obscurity for his picks. I think he believes he needs to do more with Smash in order to differentiate what's new with this version of Smash.

Of course, I doubt we'll get more than 47-48 characters prior to any DLC and that the leaks are likely correct. As these leaks are vague and announced prior to trade shows like E3 I believe the leaker is getting their info from promotional material. We could get a few more characters that may be secret and thus not on the list but I'm not holding out hope for that.

The screen select theory is so awful. There's any number of ways around this imagined problem. We've seen one select screen from an in-progress demo. It means absolutely nothing.

TomShoe

Banned
I dunno about that

But people forget that all the non video game parts of sony are currently exploding
Especially their movie division who is trying to struggle on with spider-man, a franchise that is loosing steam at a rate a franchise named " SPIDER MAN " shouldn't be. Because the word of mouth about those movies is that their are butt butt teir.

So are you agreeing or disagreeing?

NeonZ

The main problem with the current select screen mockups is that they seem to be completely ignoring the DLC mention, even though otherwise it assumes the Gematsu rumors are completely right. That seems very selective. They'd need one DLC slot at least. Or it's just going to be heavily changed after each DLC, making this whole speculation based on the demo's format useless.

For comparison, look at the select screen in Brawl's pre-release demo
Brawldemo_zps0f1c5152.jpg

The icons were resized and moved around quite a bit in the final game.

Is this actually true? I've heard people saying it after that "leak" of Smash 6 but I can't find anything on it. All I remember is that Sakurai considers them different games and why wouldn't he or anyone else think the same?

http://kotaku.com/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bro-530744390

Sakurai:No, actually, there was never any consideration to having him in previous games, and if you think about it, there hasn't been really a precedent for third-party characters joining other than very special cases like Sonic, during the last game. It's something that wasn't even possible. We're now going into versions four and five within the series—this is only something that's now possible.

Axass

So are you agreeing or disagreeing?

Here's your long awaited avatar (Palutena in Smash bet) for when Heath's two weeks are over:

QivtypD.jpg

I hope I'm not being too evil...
and that such an avatar isn't somehow against the rules... man it really is ugly.

That was one year ago.

He said something similar during Brawl development iirc. (I'm not sure about this)

He also said that Villager wasn't viable as a character for Smash.

You guys give too much weight to what he says.

That was one year ago.

He said something similar during Brawl development iirc. (I'm not sure about this)

He also said that Villager wasn't viable as a character for Smash.

You guys give too much weight to what he says.

Weren't the characters all decided early in development though?

NeonZ

Here's a translation of the relevant words. I don't think he ever mentioned a direct number like the 50 he has done regarding this new Smash, but he did say that 26 characters was already a very large number, and seemed to imply that it wouldn't go much beyond that.

This is from a Japanese Brawl site where he answered messages from Japanese fans, before the proper Brawl Dojo opened. It has never been officially translated, so this is just a fan translation that was posted at the time.

Sorry. I'm not very smart but I can't tell a lie so I'm just going to write it. As for the previous game's characters, some of them will disappear. Definitely. For the last game, we struggled to assemble 26 characters. We tried really hard and unintentionally reached that number. But, although you'll see characters from the last game, this time, on a significant scale, they will be remade. It is this sort of thing.

For argument's sake, no matter how much staff there is, with just manpower we can’t just put in everything, and as my own job does not decrease, there is a limit.

It did cause quite a bit of controversy in the sites where that was posted (Gamefaqs, Smash Boards), since it implied that the line up wouldn't go much beyond Melee's, and directly confirmed that some characters wouldn't return.

Jon

Guys, I need to post because if I don't and it happens, I will always regret it (not really)...but I was thinking, and what if Chase McCain from Lego City was a DLC character? The Lego games have always had a strong foothold on Nintendo systems, and Nintendo published this game themselves. He would have a very translatable moveset with all the different disguises.

What say you?

I don't understand why we're assuming 47.

If you look at the starting roster for Brawl, and tried to use those squares to fill up the screen, you wouldn't have ended up with the 36 squares, you'd be missing a full row, and leaving yourself with 27 instead.

Csdx7uC.jpg

compared to
nDXoXXo.jpg

Ice Climbers seems to be the easiest one to notice. In the first picture you can see where Popo's face ends and the fluff begins. In the second shot, his face reaches the bottom of the square. You can kind of see it with Dedede's chin as well.

Thus, I'm not sure why resizing isn't being considered.

JoeInky

If you could customise which language the game uses for like, every single voice line in the game, I'd have a few of those in place of the english versions, they're great.

I don't understand why we're assuming 47.

If you look at the starting roster for Brawl, and tried to use those squares to fill up the screen, you wouldn't have ended up with the 36 squares, you'd be missing a full row, and leaving yourself with 27 instead.

Ice Climbers seems to be the easiest one to notice. In the first picture you can see where Popo's face ends and the fluff begins. In the second shot, his face reaches the bottom of the square. You can kind of see it with Dedede's chin as well.

Thus, I'm not sure why resizing isn't being considered.

It's an easy assumption if you're one of those types of people that likes to low ball things and then be pleasantly surprised if the yget more.

Axass

I am never participating in avatar bets.

LOL, well at least i gave it a proper frame, it's like a painting now!

Weren't the characters all decided early in development though?

Apparently, but you know what happened with Sonic and Snake in Brawl. Also see NeonZ post, it's not like he never did this before. I mean, we went from 26 to 39 in Brawl, yet he was talking as if we'd have 30 max. And think about those 7 character directories found in the game files: without Sonic we'd probably have 6 characters more (45!?).

ALM5252

If I had to guess, you are going to be able to scroll left and right someway. Probably what you are pointing at is they forgot to get rid of that during the E3 build. If the blurry screenshot is right, there is a build that has Captain Falcon and Ganondorf in it.

Source for the blurry picture?

georly

The main problem with the current select screen mockups is that they seem to be completely ignoring the DLC mention, even though otherwise it assumes the Gematsu rumors are completely right. That seems very selective. They'd need one DLC slot at least. Or it's just going to be heavily changed after each DLC, making this whole speculation based on the demo's format useless.

Also I swear I read or heard somewhere at some point that there is a character slot for the NFP figure, as well. I think that unlike what it looks like in the trailer, you actually have to place them on the gamepad and select them from the character select screen and THEN use them in battle. You can't just summon them mid match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom