• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezan

Project M is wonderful and helped to bring new life to a dying game, making Brawl into more than it was. Like, some of the changed aren't amazing (PM!Lucario, as interesting as he is, simply isn't a Smash-style character), but it's undeniable that it has brought a lot of people a lot of fun that they wouldn't have had otherwise. To say that something like that, something that lets people enjoy a game that was fundamentally broken for their level of play, couldn't possibly be the worst thing to happen to Smash.

Also that Duck Hunt comic is adorable.
Nah, Smash Minus Maximum is fun, Project M tries too hard to be Melee 2.

random25

So, what's for PotD today? Menus? :p

I would love for Sakurai to reveal a newcomer trailer before worldwide Smash 3DS release, even if we know the lineup already. The quality of reveal trailers has spoiled me so much.

jnWake

Way too early to tell, but I saw some matches over the past few days that have made me very optimistic. Check this Ness vs. Palutena from yesterday.

While the match was fun (Ness looks great) it does highlight some issues that may arise with shields in competitive play. I haven't played the game and I wasn't even a competitive player in older Smash games but it looks to me like if a player wants to be super defensive to the point of it being lame then it's a viable possibility.

I hope we see agressive players. The guy playing Ness made a fun match, the guy playing Palutena not so much (well, he was kind of getting wrecked too haha).

While the match was fun (Ness looks great) it does highlight some issues that may arise with shields in competitive play. I haven't played the game and I wasn't even a competitive player in older Smash games but it looks to me like if a player wants to be super defensive to the point of it being lame then it's a viable possibility.

I hope we see agressive players. The guy playing Ness made a fun match, the guy playing Palutena not so much (well, he was kind of getting wrecked too haha).
Yeah, there's some good / some bad in the video, but at least for me it seems to point that, at worst, we definitely aren't going into another Brawl era.

Though, I'm saying this as someone who knows barely anything about "pro" smash. :p

jnWake

Though, I'm saying this as someone who knows barely anything about "pro" smash. :p

Me neither! If players go for strategies like the Ness guy (attacking instead of shielding and waiting) then tournaments will be fun.

I'm a filthy casual though, at most I'll participate in GAF tournaments and play For Glory every once in a while, but it'd be fun to see the competitive community like this game.

solomon

So, is Smash 4 good for tournaments or we will see Melee forever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJesTn3HfdA#t=11m27s

DHD vs Shiek was hype, I think once people explore the game on wii u its going to be a awesome game. I don't think anybody should be taking the 3ds version serious to determine smash 4's competitive viability. As exfatal said Melee is getting old and for me at least tiring to look (not saying its a bad game, its a great game but its time for it to pack it up). Also as long as Nintendo is involved with evo I don't think were gunna see melee as the main stage smash game, it will probably be a side event.

Mik2121

Playing this game on the tiny 3DS (not LL)... I really want to buy an LL, but next month the new 3DS is coming. It would be incredibly stupid to buy an LL now, right?...

With how easy it is to unlock characters in the 3DS version, I wonder how long Sakurai will take to update the site with renders and Wii u images. I want to see Duck Hunt in HD!

Me neither! If players go for strategies like the Ness guy (attacking instead of shielding and waiting) then tournaments will be fun.

I'm a filthy casual though, at most I'll participate in GAF tournaments and play For Glory every once in a while, but it'd be fun to see the competitive community like this game.
Haha, nothing filthy about casuals (wish there was another term for that)! I'm honestly feel like I'm in the weird gray area between the two Smash communities. I play with items and such, but I fucking love 1v1 and the competitive scene. I think with Smash 4, I may plunge into at least trying to keep up with the pro scene and making my game all it can be. Would love to even go to EVO this next year if Smash 4 is there.

With how easy it is to unlock characters in the 3DS vesion, I wonder how long Sakurai will take to update the site with renders and Wii u images. I want to see Duck Hunt in HD!
You've got good priorities. I really want to see all the unrevealed characters in HD, particularly DHD and the Koopalings.

J@hranimo

Banned
Playing this game on the tiny 3DS (not LL)... I really want to buy an LL, but next month the new 3DS is coming. It would be incredibly stupid to buy an LL now, right?...

Yeah hold out! At least you know when exactly it's coming out for you, unlike the rest of the world :/

Smash on OG 3DS will be kinda tiring over long periods of time I can tell.

Subaru

i really do hope it gets a spot at evo and people can finally put that game to rest.
not that its bad just tired of seeing it

DHD vs Shiek was hype, I think once people explore the game on wii u its going to be a awesome game. I don't think anybody should be taking the 3ds version serious to determine smash 4's competitive viability. As exfatal said Melee is getting old and for me at least tiring to look (not saying its a bad game, its a great game but its time for it to pack it up). Also as long as Nintendo is involved with evo I don't think were gunna see melee as the main stage smash game, it will probably be a side event.

Wow, great fights! DHD vs Sheik is awesome, I'm watching it right now. Palutena vs Ness is sick!

I know that people won't take the 3DS version too seriously, but at least they can confirm if that stuff they hate on Brawl is - or isn't - in 4.

Holy shit, that match was fucking awesome! DHD is a fucking zoning master.

random25

That projectile game makes that match really intense. That last match made me hold my breath lol.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Way too early to tell, but I saw some matches over the past few days that have made me very optimistic. Check this Ness vs. Palutena from yesterday.

Keep posting these

I can't fathom how people are so bothered by Project M. It exists because people felt that Sakurai went out of his way to say "this isn't your game." If Sakurai's vision centers around intentionally excluding a group, why should the group value his artistic vision? I mean, at what point does it stop being okay to do things? Do you hate speed runners because they exploit the game to beat it in the fastest time possible? Do you think Doom modders are reprehensible people?

Neiteio

In the New Jersey invitational a few hours ago, Duck Hunt set up a can at the left end of Battlefield and then fought Zelda at the right end of Battlefield. While Zelda was distracted, Duck Hunt made the can sneak up behind her, lol.

I can't fathom how people are so bothered by Project M. It exists because people felt that Sakurai went out of his way to say "this isn't your game." If Sakurai's vision centers around intentionally excluding a group, why should the group value his artistic vision? I mean, at what point does it stop being okay to do things? Do you hate speed runners because they exploit the game to beat it in the fastest time possible? Do you think Doom modders are reprehensible people?

It's probably best not to think about it too much. A lot of people in the Smash community are very petty (this is the same community in which people will actively wish for a character not to be in solely to annoy others). Most people probably don't care about Project M either way.

Keep posting these
Whatever you say, boss!

Robin vs. Meta Knight / Robin vs. Samus: This one's great because it shows that Robin is a fucking beast; gotta have one of the best meteors in the game. Both matches are great.

In the New Jersey invitational a few hours ago, Duck Hunt set up a can at the left end of Battlefield and then fought Zelda at the right end of Battlefield. While Zelda was distracted, Duck Hunt made the can sneak up behind her, lol.
Haha, that's awesome! I love these early days of Smash were discoveries like this are so constant.

Kyzon

It's probably best not to think about it too much. A lot of people in the Smash community are very petty (this is the same community in which people will actively wish for a character not to be in solely to annoy others). Most people probably don't care about Project M either way.

It's not even a lot, it's just the LOUD ASS MINORITY there.

Generally most everyone else either likes it or ignores it, which is fine.

Mariolee

Stupid question but there's no wavedashing right? I've been training myself really hard to wavedash in Melee and knowing that it may be all for naught in Smash 4 is a bit of a downer. :(

Neiteio

That Duck Hunt comic rubs me the wrong way because it suggests the dog helped murder the duck's parents and the duck is none the wiser, lol. The killing undermines the cute!

My preferred canon: In the world of Duck Hunt, the ducks are stunned by the shots from the light gun, not killed. (I mean, it -is- a light gun, after all. Must be shooting energy and shit, like a glorified Taser.) Then, the dog revives the ducks behind the bushes.

And one day, one of the ducks becomes friends with the dog, and together they become the Walter White and Jesse Pinkman of a criminal enterprise that includes the mobsters of Hogan's Alley and the banditos of Wild Gunman.

J@hranimo

Banned
Stupid question but there's no wavedashing right? I've been training myself really hard to wavedash in Melee and knowing that it may be all for naught in Smash 4 is a bit of a downer. :(

Nope, no wavedashing. Just get good at spotdodging and shield-grabbing and then everyone else can be learned from the new game!

SoldnerKei

afaik, there is not, but it's expected, it was gone since brawl... thou you can play project melee too :'D

solomon

Wow, great fights! DHD vs Sheik is awesome, I'm watching it right now. Palutena vs Ness is sick!

I know that people won't take the 3DS version too seriously, but at least they can confirm if that stuff they hate on Brawl is - or isn't - in 4.

That projectile game makes that match really intense. That last match made me hold my breath lol.

Keep posting these

And this is day 2 n a half on a 3ds and with people who don't own the game. Anybody who says this game isn't going to be competitive (mostly coming from the melee purist) are just hating to hate. The wii u version is smoother and has better controls (GC), this game will be fine. On a side note I do think 2 stock is the way to go, its similar to Street fighters two round system.

random25

That Duck Hunt comic rubs me the wrong way because it suggests the dog helped murder the duck's parents and the duck is none the wiser, lol. The killing undermines the cute!

My preferred canon: In the world of Duck Hunt, the ducks are stunned by the shots from the light gun, not killed. (I mean, it -is- a light gun, after all. Must be shooting energy and shit, like a glorified Taser.) Then, the dog revives the ducks behind the bushes.

And one day, one of the ducks becomes friends with the dog, and together they become the Walter White and Jesse Pinkman of a criminal enterprise that includes the mobsters of Hogan's Alley and the banditos of Wild Gunman.

So we're starting the Duck Hunt lore now? :p

MAtgS

I think the dog turned traitor & defected to the ducks. The smash attacks are hunter trying to get back at the dog but missing & the dog has also aligned himself with the Wild Gunmen as well.

J@hranimo

Banned
Ah, so we're all starting from the bottom once again. Good. Goooooood.

Yep. That's one of the best things about this game: Fresh start. Especially with the newer engine and tweaked characters.

Roughly another hour until PotD. If it's a menu (lol) I hope it's a Wii U thing.

Yep. That's one of the best things about this game: Fresh start. Especially with the newer engine and tweaked characters.

Roughly another hour until PotD. If it's a menu (lol) I hope it's a Wii U thing.

Fresh start after not playing Brawl for a long time for myself. The demo is awesome and I bet I will put a lot of time into the 3DS version until the Wii U version comes out :D Is there even any other release on 3DS other than the Pokemon remake? :D

I like Project M for the most part, but I can see why some stuff like the insistence to change up some characters so radically (I have no clue what the fuck is up with Project M's version of Pit) and the pointless stage/UI changes rub people the wrong way. I really just want all of Brawl's content and visuals with a faster engine and better balancing, the latter of which they've lately messed around a bit too much with.

It goes both ways; you have people who belittle the several thousand hours worth of work that went into it, while on the other hand you had threads leading up to SSB4's release with people preemptively hoping the Wii U gets hacked so the Project M team can 'fix' the game.

Kyzon

"Here take a look at the Wii U menu section. At first it looks just like the 3DS version, but there are some other modes hidden...for example...THE STAMP SECTION, look at all those stamps for Miiverse...wow such stamps..."

Miiverse and Browser are the Wii U exclusives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom