• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread XVIII: Today, we are all Mewtwos

Status
Not open for further replies.

emb

I’d typically be against representing a brand new IP in Smash Bros. before the IP has had time to “prove” itself, but Splatoon is one of those rare special cases in that EAD properties tend to live on in some capacity for a long time. I really do feel like Splatoon will be woven into the fabric of Nintendo’s identity over the next few years regardless of how well it sells (be it a sequel or cameos in other games), and that alone will warrant Inkling’s presence in Smash Bros.

I always think back to the original Pikmin in 2001 — even then I had a gut feeling that Nintendo would continue supporting it regardless of how it fared at retailers. Miyamoto came up with the concept and EAD developed it; that sort of pedigree is typically perfect Smash Bros. material. If Olimar was included in Melee I don’t think anyone would have complained about it feeling too promotional.
I feel kinda the same way about Splatoon. Just seems like an instant classic and a franchise starter, even if it isn't a 100% sure thing yet. I don't care for DLC, but I wouldn't mind if they were in this iteration of Smash even already.

Hatchtag

Banned
I think the Splatoon/Pikmin relationship could be similar to Captain Olimar's in Smash. Trophy in Smash Wii U, character in Kerfuffle. People are still gonna call the next one Kerfuffle, right?

Dimmle

So there's a problem with Inklings, specifically Inklings in Smash 4, and I think there are two ways to interpret it. Either:

A. Bowser Jr.'s Final Smash would be too similar in concept to a theoretical Inkling Final Smash and therefore they can never be in, or (and I think this would be Sakurai's line of thinking)

B. Bowser Jr's Final Smash is so similar in concept to a theoretical Inkling Final Smash that they are guaranteed in because, hey, less work.

Richie

There's a lot of stuff I don't know, though, so don't take my word as any absolute truth.

Believe Engine turned ON again!

So there's a problem with Inklings, specifically Inklings in Smash 4, and I think there are two ways to interpret it. Either:

A. Bowser Jr.'s Final Smash would be too similar in concept to a theoretical Inkling Final Smash and therefore they can never be in, or (and I think this would be Sakurai's line of thinking)

B. Bowser Jr's Final Smash is so similar in concept to a theoretical Inkling Final Smash that they are guaranteed in because, hey, less work.

If Dark Pit is any indication, the latter.

gosh golly i guess the rhythm heaven stage with all the rhythm heaven music on it must be really tricky to get

it's going to be really weird when the only representation the series gets is a smash run enemy, of all things

Hatchtag

Banned

How exactly do we know what Splatoon's final smash would be? It'd probably use some power weapon from the game we haven't seen yet.
I think the more important question would be will they use an assortment of Inklings, the protagonist/hero suit Inkling, or at least glorious best color orange inkling?

georly

Just because bowser jr paints the screen doesn't mean the inklinks would use that at all. Inklings use items in splatoon that could very well be their final smash.

They have that paint tornado item, that could be their final smash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6S2zU6-Zy8#t=226

I think splatoon just oozes personality. The inklings have already inspired a ton of really nice art and even some good avatar-quality stuff so I think they're already good to go as far as smash is concerned. Only reason they probably aren't already in is just because EAD makes a lot of games so they're never sure which ones will pan out until quite late in their dev cycle, so it was unlikely Sakurai would have been able to predict with any certainty that we'd see the inklings :3

Yeah, she's ran away every time we've tried to catch her. At the same time, I donno how well letting her come to me is going to go. If I see her she generally gets startled by the noise of me coming outside and wants to run anyways. So it's definitely difficult catching her.
Somewhat humorously, I saw a cat in the dark that I tried to catch that ended up not being her, and that cat begged me to pet it. Cats are so friendly when they're not trying to hide outside.
Yeah, it's always better to assume a cat will run if approached. If they're friendly they'll happily come over to you if you get their attention :3
With more fearful cats you have to stay put and coax them with some soothing noises. I usually slowly crouch to reduce my profile and make myself seem less threatening, and it lets me extend a hand for them to sniff at a level they can reach. While that's usually the best approach, you'll have to judge on a case by case basis if that's a good idea as a small number of cats can unfortunately interpret crouching as a hostile gesture (it looks like you're getting ready to pounce :p )
I've always got on well with cats, as you may have guessed :3

emb

I imagine an inkling final smash being to cover the whole arena in paint. The opponent has terribly slow footing on it, low traction, and a high chance of tripping.

But that's probably too basic, and just an extension of something the inkling could do anyway. Which makes me think, doing it right would probably be tough to implement. To have the inkling in the game, you would need to make it so stages can have bits of geometry change textures. Maybe that's simpler than I'd think, but it seems like the kind unique character that wouldn't be a good fit for DLC.

I do hope the story has a specific, named protagonist (or two) though. The main reason I like to see new Nintendo IPs is for the hope that we get an interesting character in Smash. <.<

Neoxon

I honestly think they'll stop at Dixie & the Chorus Kids as far as DLC characters go. Maybe Lucas & Wolf if we're lucky, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

The Inklings are just reaching if you ask me, as awesome as they'd be.

Neiteio

Yeah, it's always better to assume a cat will run if approached. If they're friendly they'll happily come over to you if you get their attention :3
With more fearful cats you have to stay put and coax them with some soothing noises. I usually slowly crouch to reduce my profile and make myself seem less threatening, and it lets me extend a hand for them to sniff at a level they can reach. While that's usually the best approach, you'll have to judge on a case by case basis if that's a good idea as a small number of cats can unfortunately interpret crouching as a hostile gesture (it looks like you're getting ready to pounce :p )

I've always got on well with cats, as you may have guessed :3
Blinking slowly is another way to invite a cat's trust. Cats blink slowly to one another as a sign of trust since the longer their eyes are closed, the more vulnerable they appear, so to do that to a cat yourself is make yourself seem more approachable. :)

Son Of D

I think the Splatoon/Pikmin relationship could be similar to Captain Olimar's in Smash. Trophy in Smash Wii U, character in Kerfuffle. People are still gonna call the next one Kerfuffle, right?

That could work. Even if the trophy is added in a DLC update amongst some characters. Or using an Inkling amiibo gets you the trophy.

Whilst we don't know the full details of Splatoon, I think that the final smash of an Inkling would be unique from Bowser Jr's. Just because they both involve paint (well, Ink in Inkling's case) doesn't mean they have to be the same. Could involve the Inkling covering a part of the stage in ink and whoever touches it gets hurt, like it's lava.

Hatchtag

Banned
Chorus Kids are gonna be the "What the fuck" character of the first Smash 6 trailer and you all know it.
Then it'll be usurped by an even more what the fuck character like Rayman or something.

I do think the chance of a Splatoon Inkling being added is pretty high if the game ends up being a success.
Maybe not for 2015, but perhaps during 2016 after it's become apparent that Splatoon is an IP that's here to stay.

I doubt similarity to bowser jr's final smash will ever come into play in the decision of adding Inklings.

Blinking slowly is another way to invite a cat's trust. Cats blink slowly to one another as a sign of trust since the longer their eyes are closed, the more vulnerable they appear, so to do that to a cat yourself is make yourself seem more approachable. :)
400px-Happy_Cat.jpg

Ooh! interesting tip. I generally do everything slowly when near a fraidy cat because they tend to be spooked by fast motion but I'll have to try that next time I see a cat about :D

I thought this always meant my cat was getting sleepy. :V

She hasn't gone too far, I think the farthest she was spotted was about 3 blocks away. Annoying, there's a creek with a lot of shrubbery and trees around it, so that's an incredibly good place for her to be hiding, and I'm certain she is hiding there.

Yeah, she's ran away every time we've tried to catch her. At the same time, I donno how well letting her come to me is going to go. If I see her she generally gets startled by the noise of me coming outside and wants to run anyways. So it's definitely difficult catching her.
Somewhat humorously, I saw a cat in the dark that I tried to catch that ended up not being her, and that cat begged me to pet it. Cats are so friendly when they're not trying to hide outside.

Thanks Heath.

Have you tried putting out food for her? The longer she stays out, the hungrier she's going to get unless somebody else is feeding her in your neighborhood. You might also put out signs for her even if she hasn't gone too far so that if anybody else in the neighborhood spots her, they might be able to catch her and bring her to you. Good luck.

Dimmle

I don't even like cats that much but this is an adorable fact.

Regarding my Inkling Final Smash ruminations, I was just thinking, hey, paint and ink, pretty similar. Would be kinda weird to have two characters with unique paint/ink-based moves.

Hatchtag

Banned
Have you tried putting out food for her? The longer she stays out, the hungrier she's going to get unless somebody else is feeding her in your neighborhood. You might also put out signs for her even if she hasn't gone too far so that if anybody else in the neighborhood spots her, they might be able to catch her and bring her to you. Good luck.

We have, and its actually helped us draw her in, though hasn't led us to getting her. I'm not worried about her and food though. The whole neighborhood seems to leave out catfood for outdoor cats. Several neighbors have mentioned seeing her eating some of it :p.

tbh, if there isn't even any Rhythm Heaven music in the game, then I'll think something's up. If they found a track to use from Band Bros, whose only original music is in its menus (and one track from the first game), there's no way Rhythm Heaven music didn't cross their mind.

Honestly I'm not sure whether or not I hope any music shows up anymore

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Wario is pretty much the most standout character in the whole series. It was especially true in Brawl where everything was gritty except for him, and somehow it's still true in Smash 4.

He just leaves an impression on you.

Yeah, he did. He gave me impression that he's scoundrel with a fart of gold.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I think all of the recent DLC talk is rather telling that we're starting to hit the bottom of the barrel for "obvious" Smash character choices. By obvious, I mean in recognizable names that most people would think such a character would have a chance or would have already been in the game by now. That's pretty much just Dixie Kong left as far as newcomers go and Chorus Kids by virtue of Gematsu. Ridley was in that previously 4-man band but has since taken to stage boss status (I still think they can use one of Ridley's many forms for a player character, including the most popular of them being his Super Metroid look).

At least, until new IPs come around to showsteal and present their characters as new obvious choices.

I highly doubt we'll get any more 3rd parties, even as a stretch for the next Smash Bros. I've even wondered myself if and when Sakurai ever decides to stop making Smash games from sheer burnout or whatnot, and that meaning no more Smash Bros or someone else takes over the job. Sakurai IS Smash Bros, even if we all know he's not soley responsible for the series.

As for Smash 4, I am not sure if we are getting characters after Mewtwo, but I could be (and hopefully am) wrong on that. Wolf, Lucas, Dixie, and Chorus Kids are the most likely, with Inkling being a highly requested yet unlikely one. We might just get stages/music but who knows at this point.

Neoxon

I think all of the recent DLC talk is rather telling that we're starting to hit the bottom of the barrel for "obvious" Smash character choices. By obvious, I mean in recognizable names that most people would think such a character would have a chance or would have already been in the game by now. That's pretty much just Dixie Kong left as far as newcomers go and Chorus Kids by virtue of Gematsu. Ridley was in that previously 4-man band but has since taken to stage boss status (I still think they can use one of Ridley's many forms for a player character, including the most popular of them being his Super Metroid look).

At least, until new IPs come around to showsteal and present their characters as new obvious choices.

I highly doubt we'll get any more 3rd parties, even as a stretch for the next Smash Bros. I've even wondered myself if and when Sakurai ever decides to stop making Smash games from sheer burnout or whatnot, and that meaning no more Smash Bros or someone else takes over the job. Sakurai IS Smash Bros, even if we all know he's not soley responsible for the series.

As for Smash 4, I am not sure if we are getting characters after Mewtwo, but I could be (and hopefully am) wrong on that. Wolf, Lucas, Dixie, and Chorus Kids are the most likely, with Inkling being a highly requested yet unlikely one. We might just get stages/music but who knows at this point.
To be fair, Spainkiller only said moving models, so there must have been an attempt to add Ridley to the 3DS version as a boss but the system couldn't handle it.

That leaves Dixie Kong & the Chorus Kids in question. As I've said before, I think they're the next & likely last 2 characters since, assuming Spainkiller's source is on the money, they're the only pre-existing models left that weren't used yet up to now.

Gleethor

To be fair, Spainkiller only said moving models, so there must have been an attempt to add Ridley to the 3DS version as a boss but the system couldn't handle it.

Except why would they scrap an entire Metroid stage just because one boss didn't work? It didn't stop Gaur Plain and I doubt they would try and add Ridley to Brinstar.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

That leaves Dixie Kong & the Chorus Kids in question. As I've said before, I think they're the next & likely last 2 characters since, assuming Spainkiller's source is on the money, they're the only pre-existing models left that weren't used yet up to now.

Spainkiller said that Ridley have outlines so that is only weird thing about it because Yellow Devil don't have outlines.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Plus, I'd be quite surprised for them to include Pyrosphere on the 3DS considering Other M being a Wii game. Maybe they intended for Ridley to show up in Smash Run?

emb

Plus, I'd be quite surprised for them to include Pyrosphere on the 3DS considering Other M being a Wii game. Maybe they intended for Ridley to show up in Smash Run?
I don't think that's a big issue for them. F-Zero and Earthbound got stages based one console games. Zelda did too, though at least that had a dumb excuse to justify it.

But I could totally see Ridley being a Smash Run boss too.

Neoxon

Spainkiller said that Ridley have outlines so that is only weird thing about it because Yellow Devil don't have outlines.
I was actually gonna get to that. Judging by how involved Ridley is in the fight, I have a gut feeling that he was playable at one point, but they couldn't make him work without making him look weird in their eyes.

Except why would they scrap an entire Metroid stage just because one boss didn't work? It didn't stop Gaur Plain and I doubt they would try and add Ridley to Brinstar.
Metroid is a veteran franchise, so they had retro stages to fall back on. Xenoblade didn't have that luxury, so they had to just cut Metal Face.

georly

Smash 3DS has tons of stages that were from console exclusive franchises. Magicant, Boxing Ring, Gaur Plains, balloon fight, Distant planet. It also has stages that are from a console only game (but the franchise has SOME portable entries), like mute city, paper mario, and corneria, etc.

Pyrosphere not being on 3DS because other M was only on Wii is not the reason why it wasn't on 3DS. It could have a ton of reasons, but other m's console presence surely isn't it.

Smash 3DS has tons of stages that were from console exclusive franchises. Magicant, Boxing Ring, Gaur Plains, balloon fight, Distant planet. It also has stages that are from a console only game (but the franchise has SOME portable entries), like mute city, paper mario, and corneria, etc.

Pyrosphere not being on 3DS because other M was only on Wii is not the reason why it wasn't on 3DS. It could have a ton of reasons, but other m's console presence surely isn't it.

Technically... Balloon Fight and Xenoblade are on 3DS.

georly

Technically... Balloon Fight and Xenoblade are on 3DS.

Yeah, i guess now they are. Balloon fight is technically a virtual CONSOLE game, but i believe it also got that GBA port, too, right? I should remove it.

Xenoblade will be N3DS, so I suppose that excuses it, too.

Hope you find your cat, Hatchag!

One of my cats has become a hissing monster towards me ever since I left for college...think I'll try this out.

georly

Moonlight

Banned
I'll never understand cat owners. I'd hate to leave to college then come back and have a dog hate me.
It's up to the cat. They're really independent and strong-willed animals with distinct personalities, and I find that an attractive feature in a pet. My cat is, regardless, pretty playful and affectionate with me regardless of how long I've been away for school or vacation. It's not just something that always happens.

Fandangox

I looooooove cats they are super adorable. My brother's cat always rush to the doot when my brother enters.

Good luck finding your cat, Hatchtag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom