• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread XVIII: Today, we are all Mewtwos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I haven't done too many. Coliseum's is interesting because it acts as if the platform you're fighting on are the same ones that raised in the non-omega version. Hard to explain, but basically, you can see the mechanics of how the Coliseum accommodates both omega and non-omega forms. I felt that was kind of cool attention to detail. It's still an incredibly boring and generic stage for Fire Emblem, though.

Honestly, the stage selection is incredibly disappointing. Omega versions are too boring for my tastes, but as a result the non-omegas are too gimmicky. I'd prefer more levels that were just a balance. Gameplay aside, a lot of them suffer from being too generic when there should be an endless number of possibilities in Nintendo's library of diverse locales. None of the stages really excite me.

People may disagree, but I'd be fine with less stages as long as they were all very detailed, lively, and balanced. I'm fine with having your crazy gimmicky stages, as long as you have a decent number of non-gimmicky stages.

Omega stages don't appeal to me either. Battlefield stages would appeal to me hugely. I know I have a bias, but I feel like having Final Destination variations of stages is like seeing the target but hitting the wall. Final Destination also has no reason to exist now. Why would you play on a nondescript stage when you could play the FD version of an actual Nintendo stage? Tradition, I guess.

Conversely, Brawl had my personal favorite roster of stages and I am thrilled so many of them are returning. I wish Yoshi's Island was in the Wii U version, one of my personal favorite stages from Brawl, but otherwise I'd hate almost everything on the 3DS.

Honestly, I dislike the 3DS stages so much there are only three I play on: Mute City, Magicant, and Yoshi's Island. And Battlefield, I guess.

Cranzor

It should. But technically PSI Thunder is how it was localized in the United States. Continuing to adhere to that translation is continuing to be wrong, though. Especially since they've acknowledged that it was supposed to be Porky, not Pokey.

I feel like generally, Smash Bros. tends to stay with the original Japanese version. Along with the audio that goes with Ness's moves, the Onett stage still has a red cross on the hospital like in the Japanese version, and Magicant has the octopus from the Japanese version instead of the pencil from the English localization. But, interestingly, the building on the Fourside stage uses the spelling "Monotoli" from the English localization, which the Japanese version of EarthBound instead spells as "Monotoly."

Except for minor variances in trophy descriptions, I'd say the Japanese version is adhered to more than anything. And one presumed error made in the Japanese version was actually fixed in the English localization, carrying on into both versions of Melee.

I don't mind the name Pokey, especially because it doesn't matter by the time Mother 3 starts anyway. Either name in EarthBound makes sense.

My preorder for the GameCube adapter at Amazon doesn't have release day delivery anymore. Looks like they might not get a lot of stock. Bummer. I don't think I mind playing with the Pro controller but my friends wanted to use the Cube.

Thorakai

I think Smash can do a much better job of spicing up locales within series. Metroid has had enough dark, lava-filled stages across four games, same for Donkey Kong with the jungle, Star Fox with space-themed stages, and Fire Emblem with its castle-y stages. Its also no fun when a lot of the stages favor some of the earlier areas in their respective games as opposed to some of the more exciting locales, Mario being a prime example in Smash 4. Here is what I would have done:

Metroid: Phendrana Drifts or a transformation stages that takes advantage of Other M's holograms to cycles between anything besides lava.

Donkey Kong: A stage based on the factory world from returns.

Star Fox: Aquas / Solar / Titania

Mario: Bowser's Castle / Airship / anything that isn't just the typical green 1-1 level

Fire Emblem: Lets fight on top of the damn dragon from Awakening.

AdanVC

agojyx.gif

I love how they get scared to death when their names appear on the screen. The first time I saw it I laughed a lot. Anyway, 6 DAYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Ohhhhhh yehaw.

Would anyone form the U.S. like to have the Smash Bros. 3 poster set from club Nintendo? I'll send it for free. First to quote can have it. Asked my twitter followers and no one responded so I thought I'd offer here.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Cranzor

Here's a match on Duck Hunt with Famicom Medley (different than the one in Brawl) playing.

Kinda a weird selection of tracks considering all of them are already in the game in arranged form, but I'm not one to complain about more Palace theme. Plus I'm not sure why it's called "Famicom" Medley when all the tracks are from games that were released on the NES as well, lol.

Ness's forward air looks way more purple in the Wii U version. It's mostly green on the 3DS. Weird.

Richie

Lol, Beanman refuses to subject himself to the chains of embargo.

Honestly, I haven't done too many. Coliseum's is interesting because it acts as if the platform you're fighting on are the same ones that raised in the non-omega version. Hard to explain, but basically, you can see the mechanics of how the Coliseum accommodates both omega and non-omega forms. I felt that was kind of cool attention to detail. It's still an incredibly boring and generic stage for Fire Emblem, though.

Honestly, the stage selection is incredibly disappointing. Omega versions are too boring for my tastes, but as a result the non-omegas are too gimmicky. I'd prefer more levels that were just a balance. Gameplay aside, a lot of them suffer from being too generic when there should be an endless number of possibilities in Nintendo's library of diverse locales. None of the stages really excite me.

People may disagree, but I'd be fine with less stages as long as they were all very detailed, lively, and balanced. I'm fine with having your crazy gimmicky stages, as long as you have a decent number of non-gimmicky stages.

That's why a stage hazard is an absolute no-brainer for this series, yet Sakurai seems opposed to the idea from the get-go. Which doesn't make a lick of sense, given how every other aspect of the game is as customizable as it gets.

A crying shame to hear my suspicions about Colisseum confirmed, though; I think that one would be infinitely better with two modifications; don't make it a walk-off (maybe limit the arena to the elevating platforms?) and have some audience in the background, for God's sake. As it is you can spend the battle ignoring the platforms no problem, and the visuals are some of the blandest and most unexciting Smash has ever chosen for a stage.

Going with what TvTropes calls "the Theme Park version" of Nintendo locales may have been a decision taken with the mainstream audience in mind, who may not play much games but would go "oh yeah, DK has to have a jungle, Mario has to have 1-1"...But that doesn't really fly with me. So long as the stages look cool and exciting, what's the problem?

Thorakai mentioned many series gets locales from very early on. The same also applies for much of the music which is taken from the first levels. I suppose that's one way to feature something everyone who's played the game even briefly will recognize, but it comes at the cost of missing out on the best aspects of it. Thankfully Smash 4's soundtrack seems better about this at times. The Galaxies, The Wonderful 101 and Mario & Lugi 3 having their final bosses themes' featured is exciting to me.

Crossing fingers for exciting DLC.

Golnei

I think Smash can do a much better job of spicing up locales within series. Metroid has had enough dark, lava-filled stages across four games, same for Donkey Kong with the jungle, Star Fox with space-themed stages, and Fire Emblem with its castle-y stages. Its also no fun when a lot of the stages favor some of the earlier areas in their respective games as opposed to some of the more exciting locales, Mario being a prime example in Smash 4. Here is what I would have done:

It's a sign of all the potential that they're squandering that each series is perfectly capable of taking on the others' 'roles':

Donkey Kong has no shortage of dark, lava-filled caverns,

tumblintemple9.png

Starfox could provide a jungle,

Capeclaw5.png

Metroid could be represented with a 'castle' or ruins,

1280px-Artifact_Temple_Dolphin_HD.png

and even Fire Emblem could accommodate a space stage.

ppvi6v71.png

While it wouldn't be optimal to have a series' entire representation consist of such stages, that's what past stages are for. Norfair and Pyrosphere don't necessarily have to exist alongside each other, the same for Mario Circuit / Mario Circuit and Castle Siege / Colosseum / Arena Ferox. Though I generally prefer the stage design here to Brawl, the choice of location really could have been better.

Does Donkey Kong have 3 stages now? Wow, if so.

Each game gets stages that epitomize what the series is about. Sure, Star Fox could get a jungle stage, but that is not iconic. You have DK for jungle stages. It isn't like a Star Fox forest has some hidden and exclusive potential DK doesn't.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Damn, I could see Wii Fit Studio getting crazy in 8-Player with that mirror. Makes things hard to keep track of with only 4.

Golnei

Does Donkey Kong have 3 stages now? Wow, if so.

Each game gets stages that epitomize what the series is about. Sure, Star Fox could get a jungle stage, but that is not iconic. You have DK for jungle stages. It isn't like a Star Fox forest has some hidden and exclusive potential DK doesn't.

I was reaching with the Star Fox example, but how are any of the other three less integral to their game's concepts? The temple levels in Donkey Kong are a consistent part of Returns and Tropical Freeze that contribute heavily to their game's visual style, the Artifact Temple is an encapsulation of the Metroid Prime series' consistent use of ancient ruins and mysticism, and a Grima's Table / Grima stage is representation for the giant dragon battles that invariably occur in nearly every Fire Emblem. And with past stages there to fill the stereotypical niche of the series, I don't understand why the new stages can't be more diverse - I'd just want to see more stages follow the example of Fountain of Dreams, Halberd and Great Cave Offensive for Kirby, Reset Bomb Forest for Kid Icarus, Spear Pillar for Pokemon and Rainbow Road for Mario Kart, utilising significant elements of their source titles while digging slightly deeper beyond the surface.

Something just occurred to me.

In 3DS, if Toon Link is fighting then Alfonso drives the train, but the DHD can fight on the Duck Hunt stage and there's another one in the level. Weirdly inconsistent to account for it in some cases but not others.

Neiteio

Something just occurred to me.

In 3DS, if Toon Link is fighting then Alfonso drives the train, but the DHD can fight on the Duck Hunt stage and there's another one in the level. Weirdly inconsistent to account for it in some cases but not others.
Multiple hunters, multiple dogs, etc. :p

The waterfall one from Melee would have been cool, but hey with Kongo Jungle, Yoshi's Island, and Great Cave Offensive we have a lot of cool SNES based stage representation.

I had to look this one up. I forgot all about this stage. I had no idea what you were even talking about. Man, now that I remember it, this was a nice stage. It also makes me wonder what happened to the design philosophy behind stages in 64 and Melee where every starter franchise got really original stages.

J@hranimo

Banned
The waterfall one from Melee would have been cool, but hey with Kongo Jungle, Yoshi's Island, and Great Cave Offensive we have a lot of cool SNES based stage representation.

Ah yeah, I hadn't thought of that.

Good point :)

Although it's still a bit underwhelming to me. I still like the stage selection though.

Zubz

Banned
So wait, do we have 100% confirmation that the stages we know of are all we're getting, or are we just tempering expectations?

Neiteio

I think Jungle Hijinx is about the most perfect DK stage you could ask for in Smash. Between it and Kongo Jungle 64, you have both "Retro Studios-style" jungles and "Rare-style" jungles, repping modern and classic DKC, respectively. A nifty "now and then," if you would. And Jungle Hijinx also reps the temple concept from the DKC series, with its serpentine statuary, the Screaming Pillars, etc. Of course, the blast barrels are a signature part of the DKC series, and the way they incorporated the dual-plane background/foreground elements is just brilliant. In both setting and structure, Jungle Hijinx perfectly encapsulates the spirit of the DKC series. :)

The Koopalings all look so off in SSB4, save maybe Wendy. Morton and Roy's tiny bodies are ridiculous and Lemmy looks like he's been lifting weights. They look fine in normal gameplay but as soon as they jump out of their carts its like, woah.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/hands_on_wii_u_gamecube_controller_adapter

As of this writing, only Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will acknowledge when a GameCube controller is plugged in, so there is no getting around using another controller to get your Smash on. The Wii U menu doesn’t recognize the GameCube controller, so the GamePad, Pro Controller, or Wii Remote are still required to get into the game. And, of course, the GameCube pad doesn’t have a Home button like these other controllers — returning to the console menu, checking friend lists or accessing Miiverse are not possible.

Disappointingly, but unsurprisingly, Wii mode doesn’t acknowledge GameCube controllers at this time either. Thus, N64 Virtual Console games and other titles like Super Smash Bros. Brawl are not compatible.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So I just came from gamestop from preordering smash and getting AC3 and played the 3DS demo while I was there, it felt incredibly awkward, as in the controll scheme, the flat control stick or whatever its called didnt feel as responsive as I'd like, this is my first time using a 3DS XL however so that might have something to do with it along with just the uncomfortablness that comes to playing a handheld demo while standing

Neiteio

The Koopalings all look so off in SSB4, save maybe Wendy. Morton and Roy's tiny bodies are ridiculous and Lemmy looks like he's been lifting weights. They look fine in normal gameplay but as soon as they jump out of their carts its like, woah.
ssb-wiiu-mortonvictor43qgl.png

Morton_Koopa_Jr_Solo.png

I'm not sure I'm seeing some "ridiculous" difference

emb

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/hands_on_wii_u_gamecube_controller_adapter

As of this writing, only Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will acknowledge when a GameCube controller is plugged in, so there is no getting around using another controller to get your Smash on. The Wii U menu doesn’t recognize the GameCube controller, so the GamePad, Pro Controller, or Wii Remote are still required to get into the game. And, of course, the GameCube pad doesn’t have a Home button like these other controllers — returning to the console menu, checking friend lists or accessing Miiverse are not possible.

Disappointingly, but unsurprisingly, Wii mode doesn’t acknowledge GameCube controllers at this time either. Thus, N64 Virtual Console games and other titles like Super Smash Bros. Brawl are not compatible.
I'll never understand why Nintendo (starting with the Wii) has such a hard time managing controller compatibility. When I press A on a Wii remote, Wii U gamepad, Classic Controller, Wii U pro controller, or Gamecube controller it seems like it should send the input through in largely the same way, or at least be easy enough to handle.

I can understand not having GCN support yet if it wasn't planned super early in the system's life. But at least all the others should be fully integrated unless the game just needs the extra buttons. On the OS level any controller should work. There's no reason I should ever need one controller to start the game, and another to play the game.

Speaking of which, is it possible to tell the Wii U to always boot straight to disc if present?

I'll never understand why Nintendo (starting with the Wii) has such a hard time managing controller compatibility. When I press A on a Wii remote, Wii U gamepad, Classic Controller, Wii U pro controller, or Gamecube controller it seems like it should send the input through in largely the same way, or at least be easy enough to handle.

I can understand not having GCN support yet if it wasn't planned super early in the system's life. But at least all the others should be fully integrated unless the game just needs the extra buttons. On the OS level any controller should work. There's no reason I should ever need one controller to start the game, and another to play the game.

Speaking of which, is it possible to tell the Wii U to always boot straight to disc if present?
Quick mode on the game pad does that
But I agree it's a little frustrating

Golnei

Oh neat, just noticed that the new Mario Kart 7 Circuit arrangement also features Neo Bowser City's music (which is in turn an arrangement which features Mario Kart 7 Circuit, Toad's Turnpike, and Mario Kart Wii Circuit).

so that's cool

The Mario Kart music was really handled well this time. The only massive disappointment was the lack of Ice Ice Outpost's theme, which is understandable given the timing of the DLC.

ssb-wiiu-mortonvictor43qgl.png

Morton_Koopa_Jr_Solo.png

I'm not sure I'm seeing some "ridiculous" difference

It's not that pronounced, but Smash Morton is definitely shorter and thinner due to being built on Bowser Jr.'s skeleton.

I also really want a doll (or stress ball) of Tiny Morton now...

Sponge

Banned
It's not that pronounced, but Smash Morton is definitely shorter and thinner due to being built on Bowser Jr.'s skeleton.

I think the weirdest looking Koopaling is Iggy because he's supposed to be really tall but on Bowser Jr's skeleton it just makes it him kind of awkward.

Neiteio

For sure, there's definitely a difference. But I think the word "ridiculous" is a bit of an exaggeration. All things considered, they still feel like their respective characters.

Feltrol

Banned

Wait, you can't use the GC controller as a Wii U Pro Controller for games that support it?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom