• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread XVIII: Today, we are all Mewtwos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
The Amiibo Lootcrates are up for order now.

I'm really, really tempted, but I realized that it's about the same price to buy 10 Amiibos, and I don't like/want all of the ones they offer. (And I don't think I want to own 10 amiibos.)

Same here. I was initially about to buy this but then quickly realized I don't want anymore knick-kacks and cheap swag filling up my room. That, and I really only want like 3 Amiibos at most.

I really doubt there is any stage left we don't know about. I'm thinking the final space on the stage select screen is going to belong to Miiverse when it's released.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The general consensus is that there is one more stage left, and it belongs to either Mario or DK. We'll see!

Oh? How did people reach this conclusion?

If we get a Bowser level, or another Paper Mario (since we've seen no music from it yet in the Wii U Version, even though Wooly World has a lot of ML music), I'll be happy. But maybe they'll end up re-using Mushroom Kingdom from 64. :/ Or worse, PEACH'S CASTLE OH GOD.

Now Donkey Kong, I still have hope for a Tropical Freeze stage.

The general consensus is that there is one more stage left, and it belongs to either Mario or DK. We'll see!

New Donkey Kong stage? Why would people think that?

The series got completely ignored for new stages in the 3DS version, there's no reason to think we'd get two new stages in the Wii U version.

Azure J

Actually...

file.php

Is this real life?

tmarg

The Amiibo Lootcrates are up for order now.

I'm really, really tempted, but I realized that it's about the same price to buy 10 Amiibos, and I don't like/want all of the ones they offer. (And I don't think I want to own 10 amiibos.)

I can't imagine why they thought it would be a good idea to try to sell people 10 amiibos at a time without offering any savings at all. Especially considering other retailers will definitely be offering discounts on them during the upcoming holiday season, so you are effectively paying more in order to not get to choose which ones you get.

Who

Banned
Went to the Smash demo at Gamespot. Man that pro controller felt weird and this coming from someone who has put over 30 hours into the 3DS version.

Also line wasn't nearly as bad as I expected so me and my 2 friends got to play pretty much every other match.

Best part of the night was I got a sick button/pin/thingy with just the smash logo on it. Apparently they were giving away gym bags with just the logo on it too, devastated I didn't get one :(

EDIT: Oh hai membership status! :D

georly

There have been so many people who broke embargo rules as it is that I doubt any major secrets are left. We weren't supposed to see DK Jungle, PKMN Stadium 2, yet we saw them anyway.

qWxmIlT.jpg

This mock-up was made by Vaanrose, the guy from Smashboards who leaked all of the initial text information.
I don't think he necessarily knows anything about stages we don't considering Pac-Land is in the incorrect position there. I think the top row is going to have five stages to it instead of six in the final stage roster and that will be it. The bottom row also cannot have a full row of six stages because the Menu selection for My Music goes there, so Miiverse will likely take a spot on the top row to finish it out as a full row of six when the stage is released.

I mean, does any series have a large number of songs from Brawl still missing? Like, more than would be reasonable for CDs, perhaps?

Generic "Nintendo/Wii/Mii" music is mostly unaccounted for. Stuff like the Wii Shop Channel, Wii Play music, Mii Maker. 2 Find Mii musics and Tomodachi. Chances are all of those are on Miiverse since they make sense on that stage, but those songs are missing.

In theory they could go on Wii Fit too though...

I can't say I'm really bothered by the stages or lack thereof. I tend to use tons of characters but when it comes to stages my friends and I generally stick to 5-6 favorites.

Am I the only person who thinks 48 stages is a lot?
Nope, though a proper stage for ROB and Mr. G&W along with sacrificing a couple of the more useless vet stages for another new stage would've been nice. Still think it's a vastly better outcome than what the 3DS got stuck with, and I doubt after Miiverse we won't get more stages via DLC.

Am I the only person who thinks 48 stages is a lot?
It's a lot, but it reaches that number by padding it with a lot of old stages.

And the fact that the first HD Smash has no new F-Zero or Mother stage is never not going to bug me. Metroid Prime getting skipped over entirely (even as a past stage) bites too.

I don't really mind retro stages filling in gaps. They generally picked the best Brawl had and I enjoy seeing the stages in HD with new music playing on them.

I would have liked Magicant and Mute City, but other than that I don't really mind the stage roster.

Onett with Onett's theme makes me happy enough and Temple got a nice coat of paint. Even 75m seems better with some nice game play changes.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I'm less outspoken on stage roster than I am character roster, and I'm pretty happy with what we've received thus far. If I could hand pick any stages I'd bring back...

64 Stages:

Saffron City
Meta Crystal

Melee Stages:

Big Blue (was already in Brawl)
Fountain of Dreams

I think they have all the Brawl stages I liked and left out the ones I didn't like, or the ones I didn't like are on the 3DS version.

If there was a single stage I would desire more than any other, it's a GODDAMN BOWSER'S CASTLE!! With at least one if not several mixes of Bowser's Road. It's not that hard! Just give us a spiky castle with a shit load of lava, slap a few Bowser faces here and there, and yer done! Or you could go out and give The King the stage he's deserved since Melee. Hell it can even be shared with Bowser Jr/Koopalings as a home stage.

I just want to know why.

Why no Bowser's Castle, 5 games in? It would be among the best, if not the best, stage for a true final battle.

I refuse to believe Skyloft is the only new Zelda stage when 3DS had both Spirit Train and Gerudo Valley.

I mean they could just reuse Gerudo Valley seeing as OoT is a console game too :(

Jigolo

Apparently the guy said we weren't allowed to do 8 player smash because of Nintendo's restrictions at the GameStop demo, they could get into trouble or something. But we did it anyway. The set up was 4 pro controllers originally and then people were chanting for 8 player smash so it became 4 3DSs and 4 pro controllers and the game worked flawlessly. I was amazed, had a ton of fun and it certainly served as a good appetizer for the full course next week.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Also, I pre ordered the Gamecube Controller/Adapter bundle from GameStop back on October 24th I believe, along with the Pikachu amiibo. The fastest shipping available was One Day. So if the game releases on Friday, does that mean it won't arrive until Monday? Or would the Friday count as the one day for processing and then ship it, and having it arrive on Saturday? I don't think I can go a whole uninterrupted weekend with no Smash U!

Then again, this particular Saturday the 15th I have a mandatory Saturday, so I'm at least happy I'm getting that out of the way, then even if I don't get Smash U by next weekend, the work week is only 3 days due to Thanksgiving shutdown. That's a 4 day weekend of nothing but Smash U.

Excite. Super excite. I hope everything goes smoothly. I know these bundles are very hard to find. I went to my GameStop store and they said they had none available coming to their store as it was reserve only.

Edit: I just checked GameStop and the Adapter Bundle is no longer available. Glad I got the preorder when I did >.>

Went to the Smash demo at Gamestop. Man that pro controller felt weird and this coming from someone who has put over 30 hours into the 3DS version.

Also line wasn't nearly as bad as I expected so me and my 2 friends got to play pretty much every other match.

Best part of the night was I got a sick button/pin/thingy with just the smash logo on it. Apparently they were giving away gym bags with just the logo on it too, devastated I didn't get one :(

at least 15 people at the gamestop I was at so I was able to get a few matches in.

I did get the same stuff as you.

So, excluding Miiverse, this appears to be the current stage roster:

SmashU_Stages_LARGE_zpsae7bc65e.png

I still find it hard to believe that Sakurai would spoil every stage before release. Even the 3DS version had two surprise stages (despite them being leaked).

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
In other news, I just recently bought the Mario Kart 8 DLC bundle.

I was playing as Link...driving the Blue Falcon...

If that wasn't amazing enough...

Playing on Mute City with spectacular HD videos and a pretty damn catchy rockjazz mix of Mute City's theme...

Do dreams come true? I'm starting to think they do.

This might be the closest thing possible to an HD F-Zero Wii U game dream that will ever come to be.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So, excluding Miiverse, this appears to be the current stage roster:

SmashU_Stages_LARGE_zpsae7bc65e.png

I still find it hard to believe that Sakurai would spoil every stage before release. Even the 3DS version had two surprise stages (despite them being leaked).

Yep, it look great tho. I like the choice of stages but I wish that are few stages that would get in tho. After I found out that Miiverse stage being patched in then I just had a feeling that Miiverse stage would be placed in second page.

18 threads and still not in Community

We still kinda getting updates everyday (during weekday) This thread will locked once POTD ended. (or maybe we would move to Wii U OT)

48 is a good number. I do feel the number of large stages in the game kind of makes the number smaller for people who want a closer camera.

I just wish there would be more original stages. Also I don't like Final Destination so I really want some stages Omega forms to have platforms.

Hoping that a few more stages get released as DLC. Even 2-3 would be great.

What would be really awesome is if Sakurai picked a custom stage for each of the 5 themes and included them in for fun.

Even if he doesn't I'll definitely have some custom stages.

Hey, guys! Just got my copy this afternoon and wanted to finally settle something:

The new controllers are the exact same length as the Japanese white ones - 10 feet long! Luckily, the triggers on these feel WAY better than the faulty ones in the white controller, imo.

PS: what things do you guys still wanna see / know about this version of the game? I'm gonna capture a ton of 1080p60 videos of it this weekend, and want to make sure I'm showing off what y'all want to see.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
i still can't get over everyone invading the game just to start shit with a dog

It was every NES owner's dream to beat the ever living hell out of that dog. So naturally given the chance the entire Nintendo cast would welcome a good ass kicking to the laughing mutt. But this is what makes Duck Hunt's inclusion amazing two-fold. One because it's awesome, and two, you can finally fulfill those revenge fantasies when you lost at Duck Hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom