• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS Thread 2: Where Pilotwings is apparently Minecraft

If Smash Bros also comes out first half of next year, my wallet will cry, and I will cry of happiness, especially coming out so close to games like Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Destiny, Watch Dogs, etc, it'd be crazy.

solomon

Brawl was released a month before Mario Kart Wii, so there's precedent.

Still believe the game is going to be a 2014 Holiday release at the earliest.

The wii was doing amazing, where as the Wii U..., wouldn't Nintendo want to spread out it's heavy hitters and leave something to fall/Holiday. I mean I'm all for it coming out soon but wii u sales wise, not the best idea.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Brawl was released a month before Mario Kart Wii, so there's precedent.

Still believe the game is going to be a 2014 Holiday release at the earliest.
You guys are going way too late, smash bro. should be more than done by that time, summer 2014 at the latest.

Richie

All of Brawl's delays make me wary, not to mention that if indeed released in 2014's first half, it'd be the Smash game with fastest development time since Melee. Considering they're -also- working on a 3DS version this time around, I really don't see it. It's a "too good to be true" scenario for me.

Gleethor

The wii was doing amazing, where as the Wii U..., wouldn't Nintendo want to spread out it's heavy hitters and leave something to fall/Holiday. I mean I'm all for it coming out soon but wii u sales wise, not the best idea.

The Wii U not doing well is exactly why its in Nintendo's best interest to get this game out ASAP. It's the one of the reasons why I don't think there will be a delay.

Gleethor

All of Brawl's delays make me wary, not to mention that if indeed released in 2014's first half, it'd be the Smash game with fastest development time since Melee. Considering they're -also- working on a 3DS version this time around, I really don't see it. It's a "too good to be true" scenario for me.

They've got Namco labor though, so that should account for some of the speediness and we don't know exactly when they actually-for-real-in-earnest started work on the game do we?

jnWake

I'd be very surprised if this releases in May (also happy!). This would also mean that Nintendo has some big games for the second half of the year, so it'd be cool!

I expect it on Sept/Oct/Nov though, but we'll have to see...

kirby_fox

Banned
Wasn't Namco working on it before Sakurai was done with KI:U? They had the engine done pretty quickly for the Wii U at least, and admitted both won't be coming at the same time.

So with the engine, now they're just adding the characters and balancing things. With no big single player title much like Brawl had, that cuts down a lot of work. Trophies are easy if you base it off of Brawl models and assets, right? Some may be taken directly from the games themselves for stages.

Unless they slowed down or had serious netcode issues, I wouldn't doubt a summer release.

Richie

They've got Namco labor though, so that should account for some of the speediness and we don't know exactly when they actually-for-real-in-earnest started work on the game do we?

Not earlier than E3 2011, and to the best of my knowledge, when Namco got on board they ported over Brawl's engine while Sakurai was finishing up Kid Icarus. I am aware of Namco's HD experience, and yeah, they could have gotten a leg start, but a project as massive as Smash, seriously so relatively close? Brawl got released around that time within the Wii's lifetime, sure, but then again no DS version was being developed alongside... Albeit if it's true they're doing away with a mode of SSE's scale, hmmm, I suppose the chance -is- there.

I still don't think it's gonna come out any earlier than 2014's second half, and I wouldn't be surprised if an announcement of a set release date is followed by a delay.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

We know exactly why brawl was delayed

Berordn

I guess. But months between would upset a lot of people, but business wise, it makes sense.

Release the Wii U version first to account for the inevitable summer drought, release 3DS version closer to the holidays and market the hell out of both of them.

I don't think that many people would be upset, really. There's a very vocal minority interested in the 3DS version, but most people are probably clamoring for the Wii U version.

SuperSah

Banned
Release the Wii U version first to account for the inevitable summer drought, release 3DS version closer to the holidays and market the hell out of both of them.

I don't think that many people would be upset, really. There's a very vocal minority interested in the 3DS version, but most people are probably clamoring for the Wii U version.

Yeah, that makes sense.

As a 3DS player, i'm waiting in the long haul now. :p

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Wow, May? I sure hope so. It seems a little too soon because of the caliber and size of the game, but since they nixed SSE and have additional manpower from Namco on board, then I can see how it would be possible. Plus the Wii 2 is on shaky legs so I can see why they'd wanna get it out asap.

Even if it would be technically "ready" for early 2014 release, I don't think Nintendo would ever consider releasing it that early unless Wii U hardware sales were still taking to the extreme degree that they are now. Smash is the type of game that they can easily delay to a release time that provides the most benefit to the console's momentum under the guise of "adding more collectables/museum/references/polish" whatever.

Berordn

do I really have to wait yet another year to justify purchasing a Wii U

2014's been the given release date since E3.

Even if it would be technically "ready" for early 2014 release, I don't think Nintendo would ever consider releasing it that early unless Wii U hardware sales were still taking to the extreme degree that they are now. Smash is the type of game that they can easily delay to a release time that provides the most benefit to the console's momentum under the guise of "adding more collectables/museum/references/polish" whatever.

They haven't announced anything big past Mario Kart for next year's schedule (though that's par for the course at this point), so I'd be surprised if it kept any momentum after that period and they just fill in the gaps with Smash.

But come January we'll probably have a massive Nintendo Direct blowout where they give us a lineup for the year.

Gartooth

My guess for Smash is September, not because it wouldn't be ready earlier but because Nintendo wouldn't release it in the summer. Maybe May if the game is ready by then.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Potential Release date?
http://www.examiner.com/article/super-smash-bros-4-wii-u-and-3ds-release-date-potentially-listed

Also they also predicted sonic and were right. In that same article they also predict beyonetta.

Can you link me to Bayonetta and Sonic? However, I have heard a rumor about Smash 4 Release date being May 16 for a couple of months ago.

I'd want it to come out late next year, need all extra work put into it to be the best Smash ever! :)

Yeah, I agreed here. I would be fine with Sept 21/23 to Oct 2014 but I really hope that they would able to 100% the game so we can enjoy it at maximum.

Fandangox

Basically, yeah. I hope that site is wrong anyway because I don't want to see Bayonetta in the game and I would like to Sakurai to completing Smash on his own term instead of being rushed to finish the game.

The only thing I have against Bayonetta being in the game is that I think Third Parties should be limited to one rep only.

Other than that it'd be pretty neat to have her in the game, she'd have an interesting moveset.

Roo

My predictions for this week

1. Fucking nothing
2. Something pokeball related
3. Fucking nothing
4. Fucking nothing
5. Stage tease

iblJXbinrsJyKR.gif

Top Bottom