• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS Thread 2: Where Pilotwings is apparently Minecraft

Sponge

Banned
That was a rumour that started on /v/ from what I remember, it said it was going to be today before today's direct was announced, but the official announcement doesn't even mention W101.

Oh, then we might just be getting Luigi or Mii then. I hope I'm wrong considering Sakurai was caught at Platinum Games last year and all it would take is going through hoops much like Pikachu with Game Freak.

hupla

I feel bad that some of you are really falling for my edited cragalanche pic that was posted a few days ago so I feel I should mention that it's fake.

Unless you all know and I am the one who is doing the falling.
Oh well then =/. Still its super extra late so maybe something cool will be shown off

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I feel bad that some of you are really falling for my edited cragalanche pic that was posted a few days ago so I feel I should mention that it's fake.

The what pic now?

qq more

Wait what cragalanche pic?

EDIT: just looked up what a cragalanche is. Eh... don't remember this fake lol

Mewtwo confirmed.
It'll be that Ewtwo!

Don't hurt me

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Sakurai is posting the cragalanche pic. Super Troll Bros. for U Internet.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I realised what he is trying to say. He is saying he edited Sakurai's post where Sakuriai mentions the Cragalanche to produce the image he posted [post=75128539]here[/post].

Well that was disappointing

why.PNG

He and Kamiya are good friends right?

because if that is not a photoshop that is just fucked up lol

mclem

Indeed, Wuhu Island seemed like a safer bet, but who knows? I mean, I really hope the teased Pilotwings stage will be a bland moving platform over a sprite island. Perhaps the stage will be rotating across Pilotwings locations with some mechanic, including Wuhu Island.

Since Pilotwings characters are conveniently emulateable as Miis, I'm not overly excited for a specific character making a standalone appearance. I trust Sakurai would do a good job with them, but I still would much rather see Miis in the game..

I'm sure Miis are pretty much a given *anyway*.

Those are PW64 characters; the instructors in that game were established as 3D entities. Pilotwings SNES's instructors only appeared as artwork of the faces (okay, and brief top-down sprites of people viewed from a great distance) - including those would be similar to how Captain Falcon suddenly got a physical form and identity for Smash - by no means impossible, but an unlikely step.

The reason I isolated three entities from SNES pilotwings that *weren't* instructors but were three different manifestations of the player is that each of them had aspects that I could see lending itself to Smash gameplay. Although Penguin Suit is pushing it! Nevertheless, they were distinctive and easily identifiable.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
I like the idea of Sakurai using trolls to troll a lot better.

JoeInky

Here we goooo
YESSSS.PNG

I love making these

Fuck, sucks that I finished making that as soon as the bloody real picture got posted.

Dammit sakurai, I'm disappointed in two ways now.

Qurupeke

lol Sakurai is the best. Time for Ridley, Kraid, Adam, Anthony, Mewtwo,Mewthree, Female Trainer, Hades, Pandora, Pyrrhon, Palutena, Ugly Palutena, Pitoo, Geno, Waluigi and Wart I guess...

Edit: Oh shit lol Nice pic.

I'M FINISHED!

Goodnight Majora moon.

Good morning direct.

Everytime I see 3DS screenshots, I get goosebumps. The character sprites look amazing, who ever made that decision at Nintendo needs a lifetime job-garanty. I mean seriously this is the perfect artstyle for a portable fun-fighter game.

Just awesome

I have to agree. At first, I was disappointed when I saw the graphics difference between the Wii U and 3DS version when the game was announced at the Nintendo Direct.

But how more I see of the 3DS version of the game, how more I'm looking forward to the game. It was a good choice indeed. :)

Not that it would have been less fun, of course. :)

SuperSah

Banned
Everytime I see 3DS screenshots, I get goosebumps. The character sprites look amazing, who ever made that decision at Nintendo needs a lifetime job-garanty. I mean seriously this is the perfect artstyle for a portable fun-fighter game.

Just awesome

Totally agree. The chosen art style makes the game look the part for sure. :)

qq more

At first I wasn't so sure how I felt about the 3DS art style. But it really grew on me, so now it looks really awesome. The thick outline style works super well for a game like Smash Bros on a handheld. It makes spotting characters much easier, especially with that low resolution.

NeonZ

So ignored that it got a stage in Melee. OoT has had to wait till the 3DS version to get a stage and that's regarded as the best game in the series (I suppose Hyrule Castle from the N64 version could count, but for me it's a bit like Temple, a location that represents Zelda rather than a specific game)

The background of Hyrule Castle was clearly OoT's Hyrule field though, not just a generic landmass.

Technically you could consider this also MM Link as 1) they are the same Link 2)Young Link only used a bow in Majora's Mask.

There are a few problems with that though. Link didn't use the Kokiri shield in Majora, and, in Smash, his bow and hookshot were still based on their OoT designs, even as Young Link, not in the weapons that Link gets in Majora's Mask. It was a missed opportunity, but it was what it was.

Top Bottom