• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supreme Court Nominee - Neil M. Gorsuch |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
"Religious freedoms" aka fuck the LGBT+

Really should mass print a new version of the Bible that should be used as the basis for interpretation that in no uncertain terms tolerates discrimination if religious freedom is to be allowed.

Someone get to it and say that all older bibles contain traces of arson and that people need to throw them out.

Someone. Anyone.

DOWN

Banned
What he means is that he doesn't really believe the court should void unconstitutional laws passed by congress.

Courts legislating is right-wing doublespeek.
Shhh. We all know where that phrase comes from, but let's let him try to give it some dignity before we assume we need to shut it down.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Oh fuck!!! I got Hardiman and gorsuch mixed up... This Mofo is more conservative than scalia.

Filibuster!!!!!!

So uh, about the White House statement just released they weren't touching Obama's pro LBGT EO?

Now with this pick this makes that seem like a lie.

They technically weren't lying. They don't have to touch his EO, their hope would be that the Supreme Court invalidates it for them, and they can say it wasn't their fault, and have most people believe them.

Roe v. Wade doesn't need to be over-turned, it is being pushed out across the country. Look at access to abortion in Texas, Oklahoma, etc.

You don't have to overturn the decision to get rid of access to abortion.
The court has shut that down in a 5-3 decision (scalia did not vote).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_Woman's_Health_v._Hellerstedt

Even assuming Gorsuch joins Alito, Roberts, and Thomas, that case is still 5-4.

It's really a question of whether Trump can appoint a replacement for RBG or Kennedy. Without that, the court will continue to protect the central holding of Casey v Planned Parenthood with its fetal viability framework.

I feel like I should make this clear, I disagree with his judicial philosophy. The guy is most defiantly qualified for the job and he will surely be confirmed as he should be. Democrats shouldn't block this nominee, other than the fact that they are rightfully angry over Garland.

The court has shut that down in a 5-3 decision (scalia did not vote).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_Woman's_Health_v._Hellerstedt

Even assuming Gorsuch joins Alito, Roberts, and Thomas, that case is still 5-4.

It's really a question of whether Trump can appoint a replacement for RBG or Kennedy. Without that, the court will continue to protect the central holding of Casey v Planned Parenthood with its fetal viability framework.

Nod. I understand that, but it worked. It closed clinics across the country in 'red' states, do you see clinics opening up to replace those that were closed in Texas, Oklahoma, etc.?

The broader point is you don't need to overturn Roe v. Wade, which is what was under question.

Syncytia

I feel like I should make this clear, I disagree with his judicial philosophy. The guy is most defiantly qualified for the job and he will surely be confirmed as he should be. Democrats shouldn't block this nominee, other than the fact that they are rightfully angry over Garland.

I agree but I think every single Democrat should symbolically vote against him in the first vote. Because FUCK not even giving Garland a hearing.

And when they allow the nomination to go through, only plan for it to be 60-40.

Amory

compared to who he could've picked, this doesn't seem too bad at all.

least he seems like a sane person

Oh fuck!!! I got Hardiman and gorsuch mixed up... This Mofo is more conservative than scalia.

Filibuster!!!!!!

If that happens, the Senate invokes the nuclear option and all nominations get pushed through. Then again, they'll do that anyway. Congressional institutional norms no longer exist.

Filibustering won't work. I'm not saying it's pointless to try - in this day and age, it can be used to educate and inspire. But it ultimately won't defeat his nomination.

CazTGG

D-Senator Ron Wyden has already declared his opposition to the nominee:
C3ir1EOWEAAi4rz.jpg
Filibuster to follow?

I'd be smug as fuck too. They managed to pull off a history book worthy coup of Obama on Garland.

I still can't believe that nobody paid any political cost for that horseshit. Garland would have been an outstanding justice. We basically have Scalia 2.0, but I guess it could have been worse.

DOWN

Banned
Mm but he is into unconstitutional as shit ideals

SURGEdude

Shhh. We all know where that phrase comes from, but let's let him try to give it some dignity before we assume we need to shut it down.

LOL, my bad. That phrase just drives me insane because of how disingenuous it is. It's worse than "states rights " or "religious freedom" when it comes to obscuring the intent.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Filibuster!!!!!!

Just keep the court at 8, we should not allow the tactic of delaying until you win the White House to be allowed.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I know the threat to nuking the filibuster should the republicans choose to do that but is there any perceivable benefit for the democrats should that happen and should they take back either house in 2018 or 2020? Could we go Carte Blanche?

They technically weren't lying. They don't have to touch his EO, their hope would be that the Supreme Court invalidates it for them, and they can say it wasn't their fault, and have most people believe them.
The Supreme Court isn't going to invalidate the EO. I don't think there's any serious legal analyst who believes that.

Even Scalia said he wouldn't touch gay marriage if it were approved by a democratic process instead of created as a right by the court. Many states passed laws preventing discrimination against LGBT in the 90s and early 2000s and the court did not try to strike them down at all.

compared to who he could've picked, this doesn't seem too bad at all.

least he seems like a sane person

This gives me hope at least:

On Chevron Deference: It allows ”executive bureaucracies to swallow huge amounts of core judicial and legislative power and concentrate federal power in a way that seems more than a little difficult to square with the Constitution of the framers' design," Gorsuch wrote. ”Maybe the time has come to face the behemoth."

Sadly, this was probably the best we could hope for. At least it's more of the same atm, hopefully the liberals and Kennedy can last 4 - 8 years (which I unfortunately doubt...).

The most likely scenario is RBG passing away in the next 4 years swinging the court conservative. Then, hopefully, Dems win in 2020 and replace Kennedy and Breyer with younger progressives. So 5-4 in favor of conservatives with hopefully Thomas being replaced with a swing vote eventually.

Peltz

What does using the court to legislate mean

It means deciding political questions that should be reserved for a legislative branch. Courts were never designed to write policy, they were simply designed to interpret law. Over time, however, they have taken on a role to interpret the meaning in the law that many conservatives believe border on writing law.

I still can't believe that nobody paid any political cost for that horseshit. Garland would have been an outstanding justice. We basically have Scalia 2.0, but I guess it could have been worse.
Agreed. I have no clue how they refused to do their jobs for a year and it wasn't talked about CONSTANTLY. It is absolutely ridiculous how much of their job they refused to do the last 8 years.

And they won.

Arkage

Banned
D-Senator Ron Wyden has already declared his opposition to the nominee:

Filibuster to follow?

Being called out for a right-to-death stance is hardly the worst thing to have in your record as far as conservative policies go. Most dems won't care, and will likely pass him through. Senate only needs a small handful of them to come to the other side, but I expect something like a 50/50 split with them. Who knows, though.

JP_

Banned

Why isn't Garland a valid reason for blocking him?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

He is to the right of Scalia. I will be in my 60s when he kicks the bucket. This is a stolen seat. Fuck compromise. Fuck Gorsuch for going along with this spectacle. Fuck our fascist president. Fuck them all. I don't care what happens to them.

marrec

Banned
Why isn't Garland a valid reason for blocking him?

We're only 1700ish days from the next Presidential Election it only makes sense to wait and let the will of the people be heard before we consider any supreme court appointee.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
We're only 1700ish days from the next Presidential Election it only makes sense to wait and let the will of the people be heard before we consider any supreme court appointee.

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom