• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Joycon's latching mechanism

Status
Not open for further replies.
It always looks to me that whenever the latching is overpowered an unusual amount of force is often done to do it that never really occurs in normal play. It's how they make attatchimg and detaching it so seamless. I've already held one in my hands for more than a few minutes and it's sturdy enough.

Like I'm not fucking punching it off my console.

The fear is that over time these latches will become less secure via normal wear and tear.

Everyone seems in a hurry to dismiss this and focus on him dropping it. Which by the way will happen to people.

It would probably be wise to not skip the warranty.

But again, has there been anyone reporting anything like this besides them? And even after they dropped it they still need to apply a good amount of force to dislodge it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Feels like its a deliberate design so the latch wouldn't spoil by being lock so hard.

Kurdel

Banned
The amount of Negative Nellies in Switch threads is the real eye opener. It's like certain people are scared this thing might be a hit or something. It's very amusing.

It's a hardware launch for a commercial product, most of us are treating with the proper amount of reverence and seriousness.

Hattori

Banned
they should try a different set of joy-cons, the ones they have most likely have broken latches due to dropping

Waji

17yvkmt5tlhudgif.gif

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Did giant bomb make a big deal about this?
Seem overblown.

No. They basically started beating up the switch on purpose to see if it could "take a beating" like Nintendo says it could.

They basically are trying to see how the thi g holds up and fully admit they purposely are looking for faults. Which was not mentioned in the OP.

L.O.R.D

oh boy,it's like the OG 3DS style pen all over again.
in time,the pen won't be hold good enough in the 3DS holder,so i have to buy new pen or put a paper in the pen to make it tighter.

Oxirane

Have the outlets that have the hardware early been testing the amount of force (using force gauges or weights) that it takes to do these things (overload joycon locking mechanism, kickstand joint etc).

Oregano

The fear is that over time these latches will become less secure via normal wear and tear.

Everyone seems in a hurry to dismiss this and focus on him dropping it. Which by the way will happen to people.

It would probably be wise to not skip the warranty.

Drop a PS4 or XBO or Vita or iPad on a concrete floor and see what the odds of damaging it are.

Fuchs

This is such a non-issue. If you drop a device or a console on concrete floor stuff tends to break. It's like some people want the system to fail.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
But again, has there been anyone reporting anything like this besides them? And even after they dropped it they still need to apply a good amount of force to dislodge it.

Something failing over time from continuous wear and tear isn't going to be noticed in a week. I think latches getting weaker over time can be a possibility.

You guys do what you want but I'm buying a warranty with mine. If everything's ok in a year or two then good. I can at least trade it in for a newer model. But if problems arise then I want to be covered.

Pretty sure they said on the latest Beastcast that it takes a really unusual amount of force to slide a joycon off the rail, even when pressing the release button.

So, who's telling the truth? Giant Bomb East or West?

Or is this another propaganda Switch thread? Someone must be really worried lol.
Gotta keep the anti-hype train rolling, it's this.

Shiggy

I could see it getting looser over time. My New 3DS XL pen is also very loose, whereas it was held tight in the opening when I bought the device.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
This reminds me of CNET's Switch kickstand video..

I think this is a little more indicative of what could be a problem down the road. The other video was just ridiculous. The kickstand was designed to be flimsy and snap off easily because people are going to forget about it it when docking it and break it off. They even have a blurb about that in the Switch UI under the "News" section lol.

Jebusman

Banned

If I drop anything electronic/mechanical with enough mass from a high enough spot onto solid concrete, I do not expect it to function at 100% anymore.

The OP failed to preface his post with that fact.

It's a pretty important part of the whole "They seem loose" angle.

Lutherian

GiantBomb looks like a GiantBullshit, isn't it ?

Duuuuuh, I dropped the Switch on concrete and now the Joy-Cons can detach themselves, duuuuh, NIntendo fucked it !

Please, stop thoses stupid threads.

Next time, Trump is gonna take a big dump on it, then Jim Sterling is gonna do a video to tell everyone that the Switch smells like shit and it's Nintenod's fault.

Filter

Will try my best not to punch off the controllers.
I am clumsy sometimes tho, it's entirely possible that instead of pressing the A button with my thumb, I will get confused and accidentally perform a flying elbow.

Good work giant bomb as always.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
GiantBomb looks like a GiantBullshit, isn't it ?

Duuuuuh, I dropped the Switch on concrete and now the Joy-Cons can detach themselves, duuuuh, NIntendo fucked it !

Please, stop thoses stupid threads.

This is the fault of the OP, not giant bomb.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
No. They basically started beating up the switch on purpose to see if it could "take a beating" like Nintendo says it could.

They basically are trying to see how the thi g holds up and fully admit they purposely are looking for faults. Which was not mentioned in the OP.

Yeah this is kinda important to take in to consideration and not just skip over when you make this kind of thread.

Protome

Did giant bomb make a big deal about this?
Seem overblown.

Nope, Jeff just happened to notice it as he was fiddling with it in his hands. After he noticed it he started putting more force on it (the gif from the OP) and Matt Rorie poking at it too.

Worth nothing that the Joycon didn't actually seem locked during the time when the gif of Matt Rorie launching it happened. Not surprising you could fire it off with little force if it isn't locked in.

They also said that one of them was looser than the other, which would make sense if it was where it hit the floor. But again, who knows. Jeff said he's going to compare it with his personal one when it arrives.

If I drop anything electronic/mechanical with enough mass from a high enough spot onto solid concrete, I do not expect it to function at 100% anymore.

The OP failed to preface his post with that fact.

It's a pretty important part of the whole "They seem loose" angle.

We don't know for sure but I'd definitely be inclined to agree it's probably the drop's fault.
I shattered many a phone on my old workplace's concrete floors.
Not a good habit to develop when making mobile software is your job

zelas

Even if they did drop it, I would have hoped the Switch would be able to survive at least one drop. I mean it seems awfully convenient for both latching mechanisms to go bad.

Jacce

Banned
This is essentially the Switch version of these. The desyncing thing is a real concern...this. This is a joke.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Hmmm. So why is that not in the OP for better context?

Oxirane

I do foresee a 'prank' in future where people record themselves or friends knocking the Switch tablet out of the Joycons and running off.

Waji

Even if they did drop it, I would have hoped the Switch would be able to survive at least one drop. I mean it seems awfully convenient for both latching mechanisms to go bad.
Did you see how much he has to push the system with the thumbs to force the joycons out ?

DavidDesu

Also try to avoid hammer fists.
QWDB5WF.gif

Lol if anything this might almost be a safety feature to prevent the mechanisms getting completely trashed should a high shock incident occur. Makes sense for it to pop off under an extreme level of pressure rather than remain and potentially damage the unit.

So long as it doesn't come off and remains solid under ordinary levels of gameplay in pressure (think tense fighting or racing game) then I'm happy. The rail is definitely something that will need to be absolutely spot on, no defects or slight bends should be allowed otherwise it will cause issues with the fit. Hopefully Nintendo have higher QA levels for this stuff than with their previous handheld.

I dropped my iPhone on the floor and the screen cracked - F*#k Apple

I drove my car into a wall and it doesn't function anymore - F*#k Ford

I dropped a paving slab on my foot and my bones broke - F*#k God.

shit breaks if you don't look after it. More news at 11.

Skyzard

Banned
The conversation is in the OP in video, so is the part they didn't mention about it falling on concrete.

Calm down guys.

LordKano

Goddammit my Switch just exploded while I was playing Zelda*, get your shit together Nintendo !

*I also put it in my furnace just before but that's surely not related.

Hermii

Seems unrealistic you would naturally or even accidentally put that much force like that on the device.

Yea to me this seems just like the press trying to get as much mileage as possible out of Switch previewing before it launches. Any article with Switch in it will get a ton of clicks, especially if its potentially negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom