• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Joycon's latching mechanism

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.O.R.D

I dropped my iPhone on the floor and the screen cracked - F*#k Apple

I drove my car into a wall and it doesn't function anymore - F*#k Ford

I dropped a paving slab on my foot and my bones broke - F*#k God.

shit breaks if you don't look after it. More news at 11.
My og 3ds left shoulder stopped working,i have to press it very hard to get to work.
My og 3ds pen is falling easily from the holder and now it's lost,maybe it's my fault for not buying a new pen.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo handhelds have always been known for their durability.

Iwata wanted the clamshell design for the DS and irs successors with impacts in mind. He told the design team to go back and make it so it could survive the drop.

http://www.factfiend.com/awesome-reason-nintendo-ds-nigh-unbreakable/

If this is true, and that one drop will ruin the latches then it is disappointing that the same durability isn't a focus for the Switch. Although the screen didn't crack and the rest of it seemed to be ok.

One question of clarification, did the drop damage the Joycon latch, the tablet rail/latch or both?

They have to hit the freaking switch with their fist OR have to imply a lot of pressure with their thumbs to get the joy-cons loose. I would not call that ruined..

Seems like a non issue unless they pop off while just simply shaking the system a bit. They punch the thing it comes off oh wow why do i care. There could be an issue with this but that doesnt prove it. If when it releases and it happens to real users than ok.

neto

If you dislodge the joycon bumpers too hard with long finger nails pointed at your other finger you can slice your finger with your own fingernail - bumper attachment issue

What? where is this from
Also I just watched the cnet video about the kickstand and it's ridiculous, at least I learned that it is detachable and doesn't break if too much force is applied

IlGialloMondadori

Gold Member
I'm guessing the latches are meant to disengage at a certain force level so they don't snap off, just like the kickstand.

If you push with both your thumbs, they'll disconnect and allow the joycons to pop off.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Watch from the 30 second mark. He's talking about the tablet portion just falling out from the latches not holding over time.

Hey, it's you're money. Everyone can dismiss it as picking on poor mega corporation, but I'm covering my purchase. I can see it happening. Not that it will. But I can see it.

Dropping a switch is not normal wear and tear.

If a joycon just gives without any force applied after not dropping it, you would have a case. But that did not happen.

It's a hypothetical scenario that has no evidence to support it.

L.O.R.D

Nintendo handhelds have always been known for their durability.

Iwata wanted the clamshell design for the DS and irs successors with impacts in mind. He told the design team to go back and make it so it could survive the drop.

Yah,just like the DS light and 3DS shoulder buttons,they never break.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Got it. I suppose that it's on the OP to clarify the things. If they're just playing along with the audience, it's way better, because I wouldn't also try to taste a game cardridge by myself. However: why would anyone call in to make them do those things? :/

iirc he tasted the cart after Drew joked about what the mouthfeel was and he tasted it, just a good ol' joke.

jwhit28

Jeff seemed more impressed that the drop didn't break anything then half way through the stream they noticed that the joycon that went flying off doesn't latch as strong anymore. The Giant Beastcast guys were talking about how even holding the release button, the joycons take a real good yank to take off.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This was not a video named like that at all it was part of a call in show about other stuff and they had their switch with them in the video.

This has nothing to do with "clickbait" if anything the OP uses clickbait more than they did as the title doesn't mention that they have been stress testing the switch and only mentiond that they dropped it on concrete in the post and not title and it's like the last thing he mentions in the OP.

so this is not in the OP too for even better context? I wonder why.

Skyzard

Banned
So you don't have to apply force when trying to remove a joycon?

Makes sense...but it doesn't look like it takes much force to do it, and it's just been a few days. Imagine after a few months of taking it off the system to attach to the grip or play multiplayer and reattaching it.

Springy

Yes we should all punch our systems to test them!

Apart from your willful ignorance of a previous poster kindly pointing out that Matt Rorie was not "testing" the Switch when he jabbed it, believe it or not, it is these critics' job when receiving hardware to tell us what they think of it, including its durability. Nobody is out to get Nintendo. Nobody is telling you to cancel your preorder. All they've done is attempt to inform your purchasing decision. When you throw that back at them, they don't care, but it does make you look like a tool.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Makes sense...but it doesn't look like it takes much force to do it, and it's just been a few days. Imagine after a few months of taking it off the system.

This is after deliberately beating up the switch.

Jesus this thread.

I'm out.

Abusing a lock system like that is going to weaken it over time, once the tip of the lock changes shape or chips off a bit it's going to stop them working correctly.

mrk8885

Banned
I dropped my phone on my driveway and the screen cracked. People need to know this. iPhone 6 has a screen cracking problem.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Deliberately beating up the switch, what?

Yes...

The entire point of the video was made after the Giant Bomb crew was testing the durability of the switch. Nintendo said the switch can "take a beating."

Giant bomb was testing this.

OP didn't mention it.

Close this GD thread.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I'm guessing the latches are meant to disengage at a certain force level so they don't snap off, just like the kickstand.

If you push with both your thumbs, they'll disconnect and allow the joycons to pop off.

That's what I think too. Better to have the joycon dislodged than having the latch broken if you for some reason choose to remove it by force. Its like you can still remove your SD card from your PC/phone without unmount, but its your problem if you choose to do that and the files in it gets corrupted.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If a joycon just gives without any force applied after not dropping it, you would have a case. But that did not happen.

It's a hypothetical scenario that has no evidence to support it.

Of course it's a hypothetical scenario! I didn't say it would happen, I said could see it happening.

That's the concern and it's what Jeff was talking about. I'm going to err on the side of caution. Everyone else can keep talking about punching the system and dropping it on concrete. They can't see the forest through the trees.

Sanjuro

This could be the end of Nintendo.

6JlM7Uy.png

Neff

It's ok to drop and punch electronics if you get them for free.

The rest of us will be paying (quite a lot) for Switch, so we'll probably take good care of them.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Of course it's a hypothetical scenario! I didn't say it would happen, I said could see it happening.

That's the concern and it's what Jeff was talking about. I'm going to err on the side of caution. Everyone else can keep talking about punching the system and dropping it on concrete. They can't see the forest through the trees.

I think you should admit you just don't want a switch, instead of trying to find arbitrary reasons to not get one.

Do you not buy a smart phone because your hands might have butter of them after eating popcorn, and you could drop it?

Santiako

I know that this is just a combination of plastic and other stuff, but I think most people complain about the greedy clickbaitiness of videos like that. "Stressing the system a bit" is also done with "destroy XYZ" or "Bending your device bends your device" videos and those videos are being made to generate ad money on YouTube. And this is not journalism or even a good joke.

On the other hand: why would people make videos like that? Why would they get "offensive" of an unreleased device? Information it's not.

How is this clickbaity? It was 10 minutes out of 3 hours of a weekly show they do for subscribing members where this week they were answering people's questions.

nullpoynter

Have the outlets that have the hardware early been testing the amount of force (using force gauges or weights) that it takes to do these things (overload joycon locking mechanism, kickstand joint etc).
Looks like the other outlets are actually treating their devices like they are meant to be treated. Not everyone feels the need to drop it on concrete or beat the absolute crap out of it.

Protome

Yes...

The entire point of the video was made after the Giant Bomb crew was testing the durability of the switch. Nintendo said the switch can "take a beating."

Giant bomb was testing this.

OP didn't mention it.

Close this GD thread.

This isn't really true. They only started putting more pressure on it when Jeff accidentally pulled one of the joycons off without trying to (ironically, while saying it was really sturdy and survived a concrete floor.) They weren't really testing the durability, they were just trying to duplicate what Jeff accidentally did.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think you should admit you just don't want a switch, instead of trying to find arbitrary reasons to not get one.

Do you not buy a smart phone because your hands might have butter of them after eating popcorn, and you could drop it?

Got one preordered and paid off for Friday pickup junior.

Thanks for the concern though. You'll make a great fanboy someday.

Glix

Just to sort of step back from this insane thread:

1. There is nothing wrong with GB beating it up to see what its limits are. THEY didnt make a video with the titile, "loose joycons defect!!!" or whatever. Its good to see how durable the thing is.

2. To then take that and make a thread with some pretty heavy slant is annoying.

Nintendo makes durable portable systems but they are still capable of mistakes/oversights. Shoulder button and bottom half of clam scratching upper screen were both real, annoying, legit issues that I was affected by.

That being said, all this shows us is what happens to the system if it takes a nasty drop.

Tring to say that because this happens from a drop, the joycons will get looser and looser over time and need to be replaced is absurd. Maybe, that will in fact be an issue, but the GB video is not evidence for or against that happening.

coughlanio

I was cringing at how rough Rorie was treating the Switch and I could see Jeff wanting to say stop. I would imagine that the joycon can be pulled off with slight force, without pressing the release, so as to not break the latch for people who try and tug them off.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This isn't really true. They only started putting more pressure on it when Jeff accidentally pulled one of the joycons off without trying to (ironically, while saying it was really sturdy and survived a concrete floor.) They weren't really testing the durability, they were just trying to duplicate what Jeff accidentally did.

That's somewhat fair. I honestly was only listening to the video at the time, but it seems like they started going into the whole, let's try to break it attitude, (I'm aware they weren't actually trying to break it) after they found out things were different after he dropped it. Then went into test durability mode.

Either way, this thread title and op is awful.

Skyzard

Banned
That's somewhat fair. I honestly was only listening to the video at the time, but it seems like they started going into the whole, let's try to break it attitude, (I'm aware they weren't actually trying to break it) after they found out things were different after he dropped it. Then went into test durability mode.

Either way, this thread title and op is awful.

Where did they say that? I must have missed it, if you're being truthful.

BlakeofT

I get that CNET and Giantbomb are getting shit for being dramatic, but there might be something to their claims. The stand honestly looks really flimsy, and I think this will be one of the improved features if they ever do a redesign. And the joycons not staying on could be a problem after years of use, even without dropping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom