• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Joycon's latching mechanism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerazar

Holy shit, it really seems to be some kind of crusade against Nintendo :D Were those the guys "playing" the Wii for the first time in a very... uncoordinated way to make a point? I remember some .gif about that.

The hate must be growing strong. If I mistreat my devices, they break. At some point, the company is not at fault, but that's not how viral Social Media (Anti-)Marketing works.

Any way: I don't see myself ever doing that with the Switch. I will also not use it as a door stopper, a frying pan or a boomerang.

Jacce

Banned
225658.gif
Nothing can sum up the thread more than this gif. Perfect.

Kurdel

Banned
Yea to me this seems just like the press trying to get as much mileage as possible out of Switch previewing before it launches. Any article with Switch in it will get a ton of clicks, especially if its potentially negative.

This happened on a premium members only stream

RerezDude

Why are they abusing the poor system?

The moment Nintendo said it was a portable system folks were bound to try and see how durable it is. You'll eventually drop a portable system at least once while owning it, so knowing if it can survive a fall is pretty normal.

Lutherian

This is the fault of the OP, not giant bomb.

Oki dokey (but still, I'm tired of thoses "Oh god you might preorder your cancellation because I've heard that according to blah blah blah (Mr Freeman ?), the Switch stinks because that ! Ah ha ! Now look how Nintendo is dumb !"

This is essentially the Switch version of these. The desyncing thing is a real concern...this. This is a joke.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

This is my new Thanks Obama. Or in this case : Thanks Nintendo.

This reminds me of those times right after the Wii came out when we had people blaming nintendo for breaking their tv screen when they threw their wiimote at it.

bomblord1

Banned
Let's add this to the list.

If you smack the system with the joycon while in tabletop mode it knocks the system over - kickstand issue.

If you dislodge the joycon bumpers too hard with long finger nails pointed at your other finger you can slice your finger with your own fingernail - bumper attachment issue

If you hammer fist the joycons after dropping it on concrete so hard you dislodge both joycons they come off without unlocking - Locking mechanism issue

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Why are they abusing the poor system?

Because they want to stress test it after nintendo telling them it would take a beating.
Not really that weird to see how much it takes but OP is painting it like this is an easy thing that just happens.

While I think the locking mechanism is always going to be the first point of failure for the long-term durability of these things, it's too soon to say there's a specific design flaw or anything.

I honestly can't see myself ever disconnecting the controllers from the touchscreen myself, so I'm not overly concerned in any case. I guess I'm more concerned about how long the docking mechanism will last before it wears out, because I foresee I'll be taking it in and out of the dock a lot.

ajjow

The amount of people trying so hard to complain about this console is really amazing.

Serious?! Throw your celular phone on concrete and lets see if its still working properly.

No, wait, with time, it can possibly becomes loose. Ok, so show me someone with one year of constant use, not someone with a console broken on the ground.

You can complain about the lack of VC and launch games, but this is stupid.

The worse part of it, it seems that GiantBomb actually doens't take that as a problem. Its just another gaf member creating a thread to bash the system...

meppi

Also try to avoid hammer fists.
QWDB5WF.gif

Reminds me of the livestream when they received the Wii...

K8ZCMUx.gif

Never been able to take these guys serious after that whole debacle.
"Let's try bowling."
"I'm not leaving my couch for that! *swing*"

SMFH

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Someone else said it earlier but it's also a good thing there is a point of pressure where the joycon gives.

If it didn't, and let's say you dropped the thing for real, the rail on the tablet itself would be destroyed vs the joycon being destroyed.

Which would you rather have?

A jacked up joycon or a jacked up switch tablet?

Santiako

Man, people get really defensive of an unreleased appliance. They were just stressing the system a bit, they didn't make a big deal out of it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's a pretty important part of the whole "They seem loose" angle.

The entire focus is he dropped it on concrete.

Nobody is considering that weakening latches sounds like a possible concern from normal wear and tear. From my understanding that was the point of this thread? It's something that Jeff mentioned, but was ignored.

Nerazar

Reminds me of the livestream when they received the Wii...

K8ZCMUx.gif

Never been able to take these guys serious after that whole debacle.
"Let's try bowling."
"I'm not leaving my couch for that! *swing*"

SMFH

Thank you so much! I was looking for that .gif and it *was* those guys! xD

Why doesn't that surprise me?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The entire focus is he dropped it on concrete.

Nobody is considering that weakening latches sounds like a possible concern from normal wear and tear. From my understanding that was the point of this thread? It's something that Jeff mentioned, but was ignored.

If you drop something, it will weaken the integrity.

Jeff didn't say anything about normal wear and tear.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
So they dropped it on concrete and even after that the switch is working and the joy-cons stay on the switch until they imply a lot of force.

So the switch can take a beating.

Nerazar

Man, people get really defensive of an unreleased appliance. They were just stressing the system a bit, they didn't make a big deal out of it.

I know that this is just a combination of plastic and other stuff, but I think most people complain about the greedy clickbaitiness of videos like that. "Stressing the system a bit" is also done with "destroy XYZ" or "Bending your device bends your device" videos and those videos are being made to generate ad money on YouTube. And this is not journalism or even a good joke.

On the other hand: why would people make videos like that? Why would they get "offensive" of an unreleased device? Information it's not.

Nintendo handhelds have always been known for their durability.

Iwata wanted the clamshell design for the DS and irs successors with impacts in mind. He told the design team to go back and make it so it could survive the drop.

http://www.factfiend.com/awesome-reason-nintendo-ds-nigh-unbreakable/

If this is true, and that one drop will ruin the latches then it is disappointing that the same durability isn't a focus for the Switch. Although the screen didn't crack and the rest of it seemed to be ok.

One question of clarification, did the drop damage the Joycon latch, the tablet rail/latch or both?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

well most of the people here ain't the one who make this topic.

It's amazing how much people want the switch to fail. The complaining and, "what if x happens?!" and non-issues blown up like this and the kickstand is truly incredible.

What if I drop my switch on concrete, hammer fist it, and then set it up table top mode and push it over?! What a disaster Nintendo didn't think of these scenarios.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I know that this is just a combination of plastic and other stuff, but I think most people complain about the greedy clickbaitiness of videos like that. "Stressing the system a bit" is also done with "destroy XYZ" or "Bending your device bends your device" videos and those videos are being made to generate ad money on YouTube. And this is not journalism or even a good joke.

On the other hand: why would people make videos like that? Why would they get "offensive" of an unreleased device? Information it's not.

This was not a video named like that at all it was part of a call in show about other stuff and they had their switch with them in the video.

This has nothing to do with "clickbait" if anything the OP uses clickbait more than they did as the title doesn't mention that they have been stress testing the switch and only mentiond that they dropped it on concrete in the post and not title and it's like the last thing he mentions in the OP.

Protome

So they dropped it on concrete and even after that the switch is working and the joy-cons stay on the switch until they imply a lot of force.

So the switch can take a beating.

Yeah, this is actually exactly what Jeff was saying as he accidentally popped on of the joycons off lol.

Holy shit, it really seems to be some kind of crusade against Nintendo :D Were those the guys "playing" the Wii for the first time in a very... uncoordinated way to make a point? I remember some .gif about that.

The hate must be growing strong. If I mistreat my devices, they break. At some point, the company is not at fault, but that's not how viral Social Media (Anti-)Marketing works.

Any way: I don't see myself ever doing that with the Switch. I will also not use it as a door stopper, a frying pan or a boomerang.

Get some context about what you're posting about before posting about it. It'll help you avoid making silly posts like this in the future.

Nerazar

This was not a video named like that at all it was part of a call in show about other stuff and they had their switch with them in the video.

This has nothing to do with "clickbait" if anything the OP uses clickbait more than they did as the title doesn't mention that they have been stress testing the switch and only mentiond that they dropped it on concrete in the post and not title and it's like the last thing he mentions in the OP.

Got it. I suppose that it's on the OP to clarify the things. If they're just playing along with the audience, it's way better, because I wouldn't also try to taste a game cardridge by myself. However: why would anyone call in to make them do those things? :/

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If you drop something, it will weaken the integrity.

Jeff didn't say anything about normal wear and tear.

Watch from the 30 second mark. He's talking about the tablet portion just falling out from the latches not holding over time.

Hey, it's you're money. Everyone can dismiss it as picking on poor mega corporation, but I'm covering my purchase. I can see it happening. Not that it will. But I can see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom