• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Joycon's latching mechanism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

It's likely just a friction lock, that removes the friction when you press the button.

My guess is they tested it with a full on locking mechanism, and if you apply the correct pressure at the wrong degree you could break the mechanism. This is likely done for safety concerns.
I'd guess you're correct. Better to have a mechanism that will give under abnormal pressure rather than break under abnormal pressure.

Going to get buried though lol

Vitacat

Hey, I'd appreciate it if you read and acknowledged my previous post. It was awkwardly the next-to-last post in the previous page. Not being confrontational, just trying to provide context :)

Thank you for the explanation of the show. Like I said, I watched a clip of the relevant portion of the show last night, which was linked from another thread on neogaf. I also read that the same guy licked a switch game cart, so yeah.

I stand by my opinion that shows, all shows, when they do over the top stuff it's to (1) entertain, and also (2) to get attention for the show as a result. I wasn't trying to specifically attack GB, and I have nothing against those guys.

people are determined to find flaws with this almost like it's a new iPhone
I think it's the consumers due diligence to find all possible faults on any new product that you pay a considerable amount for. I really don't see any problem with threads like this that highlight a possible hardware design flaw so that people can be more informed before purchasing a switch.

Out of curiosity, have people posted multiple sources where outlets are saying this is an issue? Not that Giant bomb was even calling it can issues, but for the sake of argument, let's say they are.

Crazyorloco

This is essentially the Switch version of these. The desyncing thing is a real concern...this. This is a joke.

giphy.gif

Agreed. They're reaching now. Trying to get those clicks. The desyncing is a problem especially if you have several things in the way.

I think it's the consumers due diligence to find all possible faults on any new product that you pay a considerable amount for. I really don't see any problem with threads like this that highlight a possible hardware design flaw so that people can be more informed before purchasing a switch.

Only if it's done in good faith.

OP minimized the fact that this "design flaw" might have occurred to mishandling.

If a car reviewer side crashes his car, him reporting that the door won't open is of no relevance to me as a consumer

ZeoVGM

Banned
So they admitted that they dropped it and seem to be applying pressure that you wouldn't while playing?

Alright then.

PrimeBeef

True but to act like a product that broke after it ws dropped is standard, or to subject it to physicality the surpasses the normal usage or expectations and claim it's bad does no one any good IMO. It may show it doesn't hold up in extreme circumstances. But pretty much every product will fail under conditions exceeding expected use.

Man, he's probably rolling in the dough right now.

You act as though people getting attention on an internet forum holds zero value to some. And so, invalidate the whole of troll culture.

I don't think the OP was trolling necessarily, but we've got a fever tenor at which point everything has become a story worth panicking over regardless of context. This thread continues to fuel that.

Drain You

They should have marketed the default dock orientation as on its back as opposed to upright, and had the joycons slide in from the bottom. Not saying this is even an issue really but at least people would have one less things to worry / complain about. They you could easily attach detach the joycons while docked from the bottom.

Giant Bomb is the last website in the world interested in "getting those clicks"

Can't wait for the Switch to finally be out, the wait is making people crazy

This actually illustrated a poor design choice very well, they should have detached off the bottom, not the top.

After the whole Wii Remote wrist strap/ condom debacle, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo offered up some kind of silicone harness for the Switch, negating any gains from detaching from the top.

The demo units I tried in January were very snug. This is ridiculous and clearly an outlier, unless there was a defect in the production stage for launch units.

Yeah, pardon me if I'd rather formulate my own opinions rather than blindly following the concerns of a group who not only dropped the system on concrete, but punched the Joycons and ATE a Switch cart.

OmegaFax

They're doing a bunch of "out of the way" stress tests. Let me get some dental floss and tie it to my Dual Shock 4, spin it around like a lasso, and let it go at a brick wall.

I like the JerryRigsEverything channel. Isn't a plug for them but the way the guy handles durability tests is simple. Maybe not completely scientific but I like how he notes stress points and the way phones are designed, their common materials, et cetera.

Anyway. The Joy-Con mechanism looks like it's designed to breakaway after reaching a certain tension point in order to not break the mechanism. Ought to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Veitsev

The demo units I tried in January were very snug. This is ridiculous and clearly an outlier, unless there was a defect in the production stage for launch units.

Not really sure your experience is very relevant tbh. Did you hand the unit to a child and allow them to shake the unit, drop it on concrete, punch it, put them on a subway and have them run into other passengers, and eat the game carts? If not, then your experiences aren't in line with real world use.

Nerazar

Am I more informed when people burn the device (possible hardware design flaw), smash it with a hammer (flimsy, weak design flaw) or use it in very very outlandish ways? Should I extend that "due diligence" process to cars and fridges which are mishandled in many ways?

I would be concerned if all of it was based on normal user situations, but so far, all you have to do to replicate this issue is to drop the device on a concrete floor and then apply (an abnormal amount of) pressure to the Joycons so that the mechanism fails. Is that part of due diligence or just trolling and making it look like the Switch is a cheap hardware?

It's just weird to film yourself doing that and it's part of a clickbait campaign. Nothing gets more people interested than launch coverage and possible negative coverage. This is all there is to this, right now. In addition to that: shouldn't other outlets report on the same stuff since several months? Or is it just me missing that crucial information?

This is a non-issue. Personally, I would never be putting that sort of pressure on the Switch from those angles. Why would anybody?

marrec

Banned
Am I more informed when people burn the device (possible hardware design flaw), smash it with a hammer (flimsy, weak design flaw) or use it in very very outlandish ways? Should I extend that "due diligence" process to cars and fridges which are mishandled in many ways?

I would be concerned if all of it was based on normal user situations, but so far, all you have to do to replicate this issue is to drop the device on a concrete floor and then apply (an abnormal amount of) pressure to the Joycons so that the mechanism fails. Is that part of due diligence or just trolling and making it look like the Switch is a cheap hardware?

It's just weird to film yourself doing that and it's part of a clickbait campaign. Nothing gets more people interested than launch coverage and possible negative coverage. This is all there is to this, right now. In addition to that: shouldn't other outlets report on the same stuff since several months? Or is it just me missing that crucial information?
It's nice to know that the locking mechanism isn't so rigid that it will break if dropped I suppose. Nice design.

K' Dash

I pray for the day people realize Gertsman is an idiot and stop praising him.

This is a step on the right direction.

Nerazar

It's nice to know that the locking mechanism isn't so rigid that it will break if dropped I suppose. Nice design.

Alright, you have a point. ;) But it's probably not what will come across to most people. Failing is always better than breaking, but why does it fail in the first place?? It has to be rock solid and flexible at the same time! And why can't I use the Switch as a dinner plate?

Like I get that the circumstances behind this issue are pretty out there and if we had more testing then we could be more certain but it still poses a very real possible issue in the future. its pretty gross the lengths people go to make this seem like a completely baseless concern.

Not really sure your experience is very relevant tbh. Did you hand the unit to a child and allow them to shake the unit, drop it on concrete, punch it, put them on a subway and have them run into other passengers, and eat the game carts? If not, then your experiences aren't in line with real world use.
I'm going to run out of cookies soon.
LMAO

Again, if you do that you cannot take them out after u docked the system.

Potentially could have designed the dock differently with that in mind. Put the Tablet in upside down or put it in flat and slide out the Joy Cons. I'm sure they could have come up with a way it would have worked if they felt it was that big of a concern. Apparently though they must feel confident that it's not going to be an issue.

I wonder if they could have made it where it had a backup latch to catch before it slides all the way out? Maybe it does now for all I know.

If there is a case that has a backup latch and looks decent I would definitely consider getting one. As I mentioned earlier, I don't think this will be an issue in the short term and I think it's being overblown by some, but I did have concerns how this would hold up in 5-10 years.

It's likely just a friction lock, that removes the friction when you press the button.

My guess is they tested it with a full on locking mechanism, and if you apply the correct pressure at the wrong degree you could break the mechanism. This is likely done for safety concerns.
How DOES a friction lock work exactly, if there's anything beyond that explanation.

marrec

Banned
Like I get that the circumstances behind this issue are pretty out there and if we had more testing then we could be more certain but it still poses a very real possible issue in the future. its pretty gross the lengths people go to make this seem like a completely baseless concern.
A mechanism that will release if given enough pressure isn't exactly some new patent that we need to wait and see with. This kind of design is something that we deal with all the time in everyday objects and has tons of engineering and testing hours behind it.

I think "over time" it will likely work exactly as it does now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom