• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Joycon's latching mechanism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anticol

Banned
This thread did not deserve to exist.

Some guy trying to get attention for his show drops a brand new device on concrete, damages it, and OMG PANIC because it's not working properly. AFTER BEING DROPPED ON CONCRETE.

Really, WTF are you talking about?

The video is a premium video only paid subscribers are able to see and he didn't drop it on purpose at all. Nintendo fans go to extreme to defend their brand but you are completely lying, I am sure you haven't even seen the video.

Even so, this is a portable system and for a $300 premium it should be able to withstand the extremely probably instance of someone dropping it.

Some people drop their 900 dollar phone once and crack the screen, other people drop it many times and never crack the screen.

This is probably one of those instance where you better hope luck is on your side if you drop it.

Orbis

Even so, this is a portable system and for a $300 premium it should be able to withstand the extremely probably instance of someone dropping it.
Surely this is a joke. Drop any $500+ phone and there is a very, very high chance it will break.

Also people need to lay off Giant Bomb, they have not made a big deal out of any of this and haven't raised these things as 'an issue'. People need to stop being offended on behalf of their new console. For the record I have one pre-ordered for launch.

stilgar

It's EVERY fucking launch. PS4 and Xbox One had the same amount, and often more, bullshit thrown at them.

There's no denying some aspects of each console's hardware are suspect. PS4's thumbsticks were an issue. PS4 fan noise was sometimes an issue. Xbox One's stick drift is still an issue. Slow install times is still an issue. Had missing software issue that's been remedied over time.

Switch has a low base storage capacity, a thin kickstand that shouldn't be bumped, and many missing software features. But, it's still a very solid & well made console with a great screen and solid build quality.

Yeah, I agree.

Ghgghggh

Banned
This is ridiculous. How can Nintendo be so obtuse. Those defending this and other hardware issues are so doing straw man. I'm going to cancel my preorder yet again, for like the 10th time now.

I can't believe Nintendo has once again made a Fisher Price quality product especially when this thing is over-priced by $150.

The launch lineup sucks too. I'm only interested in Zelda, snipper clips, bomberman, Shovel Knights, Fast Remix and maybe 1-2 shit. What does Nintendo expect me to do with the rest of my time with such a scarce launch. Overpriced paper weight.

I'm so nervous about this I can't sleep. With such a flimsy stand the wind will knock it over and then the joy cons will slide off and everything will be ruined . There goes my Switch rooftop parties.

Not to mention since I can take it outside a bird might shit on it. I bet Nintendo didn't even test for bird shit damage. Nintendont., Nintenfail.

Vitacat

Really, WTF are you talking about?

The video is a premium video only paid subscribers are able to see and he didn't drop it on purpose at all. Nintendo fans go to extreme to defend their brand but you are completely lying, I am sure you haven't even seen the video.

I did see the video, albeit without sound. And yes, you can see it without being a subscriber. Maybe he didn't drop it specifically to get attention, but DROPPING IT ON CONCRETE MATTERS in the context of how people are panicking about latch problems now.

There is a contingent of people who seem to thrive on panic, or causing panic. And that needs balance. If that bothers you, of well.

This is ridiculous. How can Nintendo be so obtuse. Those defending this and other hardware issues are so doing straw man. I'm going to cancel my preorder yet again, for like the 10th time now.

I can't believe Nintendo has once again made a Fisher Price quality product especially when this thing is over-priced by $150.

The launch lineup sucks too. I'm only interested in Zelda, snipper clips, bomberman, Shovel Knights, Fast Remix and maybe 1-2 shit. What does Nintendo expect me to do with the rest of my time with such a scarce launch. Overpriced paper weight.

I'm so nervous about this I can't sleep. With such a flimsy stand the wind will knock it over and then the joy cons will slide off and everything will be ruined . There goes my Switch rooftop parties.

Not to mention since I can take it outside a bird might shit on it. I bet Nintendo didn't even test for bird shit damage. Nintendont., Nintenfail.

Well done. :p

This was one of my concerns. I'm sure it will be fine at launch but what will it be like in 2 years...5 years...and longer? Obviously things wear out over time but I hope they last a good long time before wearing out to the point of failing and the Tablet dropping out.

It seems like they should have went with the tablet sliding down from the top and locking in place. I guess the issue with that would be that you couldn't slide the Joy Cons off in the dock, but they could have made the dock differently if necessary.

I will reserve judgment for now as I don't think it will be a problem in the short term, but will be keeping an eye on it moving forward. Maybe someone can make a case that has a second safety latch.

Cartho

People complaining about this does seem abit like those people who complain about iPhone build quality because it broke when they hammered it with a baseball bat a few times.

I for one am planning to take my Switch into frontline combat against enemies of freedom. Have Nintendo tested it against 5.56mm and 7.62mm rifle ammunition? If not I'm cancelling my pre-order.

Peterthumpa

Can't remember the last console or handheld launch where people were so eager to make up flaws in a product like with the Switch. It almost seems personal, lol.

Cleve

There is a contingent of people who seem to thrive on panic, or causing panic. And that needs balance. If that bothers you, of well.

Overreaction should get a reasoned argument and dismissal, not a "balanced" overreaction in the other direction.

People complaining about this does seem abit like those people who complain about iPhone build quality because it broke when they hammered it with a baseball bat a few times.

I for one am planning to take my Switch into frontline combat against enemies of freedom. Have Nintendo tested it against 5.56mm and 7.62mm rifle ammunition? If not I'm cancelling my pre-order.

I don't think it's too much to be concerned how this may affect our devices in the long term from normal use. It could wear out over the next several years and I think that is a legitimate concern. I do think some are overblowing it though.

6c0e3726bdaab937e396901ee3b37508.jpg

moai

This is getting absurd. I have no interest on a switch and im not following many news about the console but watching gifs where people are punching or slapping the console all i can think is this is at the same level of the videos that showed people pressuring down one corner of the ps4 and make it wobble.
2377699-ku-xlarge+(1).gif

Harmen

Not too worried. My guess is that there could be some issues down the road due to unfortunate (fall) damage or some (rare) faulty units here and there. But given the nature of the Switch, I think Nintendo made sure this mechanism is robust enough to hold the tablet part for the mass consumers.

Protome

I did see the video, albeit without sound. And yes, you can see it without being a subscriber. Maybe he didn't drop it specifically to get attention, but DROPPING IT ON CONCRETE MATTERS in the context of how people are panicking about latch problems now.

Well done. :p
Sound is pretty important for a video that is primarily people talking (and in fact had a podcast version.)

You don't create balance by straight up making things up like in your previous post.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

This is good. This is really good lol

Can't remember the last console or handheld launch where people were so eager to make up flaws in a product like with the Switch. It almost seems personal, lol.

"This isn't what I'm used to so it can't possibly work." -GAF

Let me twist my Xbox One controller as hard as I can and drop a PS4 on concrete and see how long it lasts.

phanphare

Banned

I laughed way too hard at the cancelled pre order bit

Vitacat

Sound is pretty important for a video that is primarily people talking (and in fact had a podcast version.)

You don't create balance by straight up making things up like in your previous post.

What did I make up?

It was dropped. On concrete. And then they noticed latch problems.

It's my opinion that this guy is doing stuff to get attention for his show.

Is this not the same guy that licked a Switch game cart? It's a subscription show, people point out, but it's sure getting a ton of attention over these antics.

How widespread is this problem?

On GAF it's a problem with every Switch right out of the box and there's no way to play in handheld mode without dropping it on the floor. Giant Bomb said it so it's basically written in stone.

In the real world, I've only seen one report of this (in this thread) after stressing the Switch console/dropping it. So I wouldn't worry about it.

This is getting absurd. I have no interest on a switch and im not following many news about the console but watching gifs where people are punching or slapping the console all i can think is this is at the same level of the videos that showed people pressuring down one corner of the ps4 and make it wobble.
2377699-ku-xlarge+(1).gif

Except there's no reason to touch a ps4.

Nintendo is encouraging us to pass this around to our drunk friends at parties.

This is a problem.

neoglow

Banned
I can see the article now...

My Switch slipped right through the joycons and smashed on the floor. I'm suing Nintendo.

Protome

What did I make up?

Is this not the same guy that licked a Switch game cart? It's a subscription show, people point out, but it's sure getting a ton of attention over these antics.
Context is important. Your "opinion" seems to be based on knowing nothing about GB and from not even watching the video which is why you keep saying silly things like this. Go troll somewhere else.

ASIS

Except there's no reason to touch a ps4.

Nintendo is encouraging us to pass this around to our drunk friends at parties.

This is a problem.
As with the Joy con L debacle. You need to see how many are experiencing this issue and how many can pinpoint it. If it is only one unit that was dropped in concrete then no. It is not a problem.

Vitacat

Context is important. Your "opinion" seems to be based on knowing nothing about GB and from not even watching the video which is why you keep saying silly things like this. Go troll somewhere else.

LOL, now I'm a troll.

You were really getting off on the panic, weren't you.

Fireblend

Banned
What did I make up?

The format of the show is not that of some serious video game news stream or what have you, it's a silly couple of hours of them poking fun at games they play, the industry and themselves. It's being taken heavily out of context as if these guys were pretending to be shocked by some manufacture error or doing some formal Switch preview, when what they were doing was casually talking between themselves and joking around - the Switch wasn't even the entire focus of the video, it was a call in show in which they talked about several other things. It's even called "Unprofessional Fridays" ffs. Their tone was hardly accusatory, more like thinking out loud because they're in a show that matters very little. I can sort of understand the PSVR thing since that was when they were in a preview stream, but that a minuscule extract of a segment that is all about unwinding and having fun is being analyzed like this is ridiculous.

I can only guess OP lacks this context, or is maliciously misrepresenting the context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom