• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch will launch with no video apps, being considered for future

GobFather

Again, please don't accuse me of things that I'm not doing.

And as I've been arguing in this thread, maybe Nintendo are aiming for gamers. Maybe they're making a console for gaming, first and foremost.
Mmmk I apologize.

It's ok to make a gaming console, it shouldn't take the gaming experience away by having other options either.

Serious question as I wasn't keeping track of things circa Wii. Was it "big" news when the Wii was confirmed to not offer DVD playback?

jehuty

Serious question as I wasn't keeping track of things circa Wii. Was it "big" news when the Wii was confirmed to not offer DVD playback?

It was one of the many reasons, many on Gaf said it would fail badly. Graphics, controller, no dvd playback, no voice chat, minimal online, etc.

Funny thing about the Wii, I remember it getting netflix eventually. I get that people want it a launch, but honestly, it isn't a big deal at all. It'll come eventually.

It was one of the many reasons, many on Gaf said it would fail badly. Graphics, controller, no dvd playback, no voice chat, minimal online, etc.

Funny thing about the Wii, I remember it getting netflix eventually. I get that people want it a launch, but honestly, it isn't a big deal at all. It'll come eventually.

That's definitely an interesting similarity then! Both machines will have launched as "gaming" consoles on day one. Thanks for filling me in!

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have 9 other things that I can't watch Netflix on, 3 of them are portable. I'm ok with Switch not shipping with this functionality.

Etzer

Yeah, as terrible as all this sounds to us, if their marketing is on point then it can still be very successful. I mean, plenty of gamers complained (and rightfully so) when streaming apps and even the internet browser were locked behind an Xbox Live subscription but most people didn't care. It wasn't until the Xbox One's botched launch that they undid that.

Ludist210

Well, there goes my opportunity for an 11th Netflix Capable device.
My thoughts exactly. Between the two phones, three tablets, two laptops, and two set-top streaming devices (Nexus Player, and the new Nvidia Shield TV) we have in our house, we don't really need another. That's not including our PS4.

Though if there's no web browser, that's a little worrisome...the one thing the Wii U really did well was its web browser.

This really is an issue in my opinion. It hurts the value proposition for potential customers. Nintendo needs to avoid negative impressions and media with the Switch and this could have been easily avoided.

It not only eventually came, it eventually wound up being the most used device to actually run Netflix for a while.

Which makes it all the more bizarre that Nintendo doesn't have it ready for the Switch launch.

Kiote

I have a hard time believing many are going to put Netflix on their Switch when they could put it on one of the 6 Netflix ready devices they own and continue using their Switch.

Unless you are a die-hard fan of First Party Nintendo games then there really is zero reason to be excited for the Switch. It's actually kind of sad that Nintendo is doing nothing to entice potential new customers who might want more than just Zelda and Mario.

Nerazar

Unless you are a die-hard fan of First Party Nintendo games then there really is zero reason to be excited for the Switch. It's actually kind of sad that Nintendo is doing nothing to entice potential new customers who might want more than just Zelda and Mario.

I think the extended audience and the N core audience can be captured by the Switch. This is a very social device, Wii-like somewhat, and if enough software comes up, people will buy into the concept.

I don't care about having video streaming services on the Switch. But as a tablet alternative on travels and such, I can see why some would. So I hope it gets added.

TheYanger

I can't fathom the Switch apologists about this stuff. Yes, you can always carry something else with you, that's not the point, the point is you shouldn't HAVE to carry an array of other devices alongside this tablet form factor device you're already lugging around.

I will always have my phone, I'd prefer not to watch netflix on it. Oh I have my switch, neat! that's a good sized screen and has a kickstand!...oh wait, guess I gotta ALSO carry around a tablet just to do the activity that is most done by people on tablets. A switch would be a viable replacement for 'the big thing you carry around' if it had this feature, but since it does not you're forced to choose to either bring a video device with some games, or a gaming device with no video, which is also larger and more cumbersome in the first place.

That's not a small oversight. The form factor of the switch is literally the perfect travel video device, and they're fucking that simple part up.

Choices cost money.
It's not an additional fucking hardware feature that nintendo cut to save cost for the consumer, here. We're talking literally about some apps. You're right though, choices cost money - if I want the choice to watch video on the go, I have to buy an expensive tablet in addition to the switch, boy that's some sick value.

RPGam3r

I can't fathom the Switch apologists about this stuff. Yes, you can always carry something else with you, that's not the point, the point is you shouldn't HAVE to carry an array of other devices alongside this tablet form factor device you're already lugging around.

I will always have my phone, I'd prefer not to watch netflix on it. Oh I have my switch, neat! that's a good sized screen and has a kickstand!...oh wait, guess I gotta ALSO carry around a tablet just to do the activity that is most done by people on tablets. A switch would be a viable replacement for 'the big thing you carry around' if it had this feature, but since it does not you're forced to choose to either bring a video device with some games, or a gaming device with no video, which is also larger and more cumbersome in the first place.

That's not a small oversight. The form factor of the switch is literally the perfect travel video device, and they're fucking that simple part up.

It's not an additional fucking hardware feature that nintendo cut to save cost for the consumer, here. We're talking literally about some apps. You're right though, choices cost money - if I want the choice to watch video on the go, I have to buy an expensive tablet in addition to the switch, boy that's some sick value.

Your phone can watch videos and software costs money too. Devs don't just wave a wand and all apps work.

KageMaru

Sure. But choices are not free. Resources are needed. I'm ok with this reduction in scope as this is an overly redundant feature.

Yeah the resources at Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube, not Nintendo.

Your phone can watch videos and software costs money too. Devs don't just wave a wand and all apps work.

The whole point is to have the option on the device so you don't have to move over to another one. Just because I have Netflix on my phone doesn't make the absence on Switch any less stupid.

TheYanger

But I'm not going to watch videos on my phone, most people used tablets for that. The switch is tablet sized. Carrying multiple of devices that size is generally prohibitively annoying. It directly influences whether someone is going to carry around a switch with them. I'd go as far as to say that your average consumer 100% expects the switch to replicate youtube/netflix functionality of their existing tablets.

No shit apps don't just magically appear, but Nintendo doesn't have to write the apps either, they could've gotten some specs to Netflix engineers months ago, Netflix wants to write the app, they want their shit on every platform imaginable, it would incur no cost at all to Nintendo or the end user to do that. It's almost inevitable that it wILL come to the device, so it just makes the whole thing seem rushed and ill-conceived.

Sticking your fingers in your ears and pretending that these aren't legitimate issues doesn't magically alter the fact that they are. Have fun playing Zelda and then watching your switch collect dust while Nintendo launches yet another failed system though if this is the level of thought they're putting into it.

It not only eventually came, it eventually wound up being the most used device to actually run Netflix for a while.

Which makes it all the more bizarre that Nintendo doesn't have it ready for the Switch launch.

Yea, it's really an odd decision. Has there been any details why it's not available, or even any speculation that makes sense?

RPGam3r

Yeah the resources at Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube, not Nintendo.

The whole point is to have the option on the device so you don't have to move over to another one. Just because I have Netflix on my phone doesn't make the absence on Switch any less stupid.

Nintendo has to build the software to house running apps. That just doesn't happen magically. They also need to lock down said software from gaining access to resources it should not.

I don't think it is stupid at all, I would never watch Netflix on my Switch. If I'm out and about I already have my phone, which has a handful of video apps other than just Netflix.

Aselith

Well, there goes my opportunity for an 11th Netflix Capable device.

Problem is that there's a reason it's ubiquitous and Nintendo apparently couldn't get it done for their major new console release. Just another way the device is crippled compared to every other thing you could spend your money on

Netflix integration is core functionality for an Internet connected device.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So I ask again, why can't we have the option of one dedicated gaming device without Netflix, etc...?

It may be a moot point if they eventually add in all these extras, but why can't Nintendo (or anyone) make a gaming device for playing games and nothing else and let it live or die based on the quality of the games?

You have the option to not install the apps. There, now can you please stop with this wierd spin? It's really forced.

RPGam3r

But I'm not going to watch videos on my phone, most people used tablets for that. The switch is tablet sized. Carrying multiple of devices that size is generally prohibitively annoying. It directly influences whether someone is going to carry around a switch with them. I'd go as far as to say that your average consumer 100% expects the switch to replicate youtube/netflix functionality of their existing tablets.

No shit apps don't just magically appear, but Nintendo doesn't have to write the apps either, they could've gotten some specs to Netflix engineers months ago, Netflix wants to write the app, they want their shit on every platform imaginable, it would incur no cost at all to Nintendo or the end user to do that. It's almost inevitable that it wILL come to the device, so it just makes the whole thing seem rushed and ill-conceived.

Sticking your fingers in your ears and pretending that these aren't legitimate issues doesn't magically alter the fact that they are. Have fun playing Zelda and then watching your switch collect dust while Nintendo launches yet another failed system though if this is the level of thought they're putting into it.

I never said that Nintenod has to code the apps. I think this is an issue as low as they come, being made into something much more than it is. Like most Switch topics here.

I will have fun playing Zelda thanks.

Brannon

Pretty sure this is the most *no shit Sherlock* news about the Switch that there is. I mean, they barely supported video apps on the Wii and Wii U, and the even scoured the TV what-it's-name app on the Wii U.

They will add it later.

Just like they added 2-tablet fuctionality to the Wii U.

It'll be awesome.

KageMaru

Nintendo has to build the software to house running apps. That just doesn't happen magically. They also need to lock down said software from gaining access to resources it should not.

I don't think it is stupid at all, I would never watch Netflix on my Switch. If I'm out and about I already have my phone, which has a handful of video apps other than just Netflix.

I don't think the concern is they don't have software or an OS that suspends apps. Is that what you mean by "house running apps"? Just let the app launch like they would for a game.

You may not think it's stupid because you'll never use the option but plenty of other people would. That is like saying "I already have a blue ray player, why should the PS4/XBO play movies?"

The system just sounds more and more half baked.

RPGam3r

I don't think the concern is they don't have software or an OS that suspends apps. Is that what you mean by "house running apps"? Just let the app launch like they would for a game.

You may not think it's stupid because you'll never use the option but plenty of other people would. That is like saying "I already have a blue ray player, why should the PS4/XBO play movies?"

The system just sounds more and more half baked.

You can't just "let apps launch", that's not how security flaw mitigation works.

You can't make everyone happy, I don't think this will cause must of a sales lose. Hence why I don't think it is stupid.

KageMaru

You can't just "let apps launch", that's not how security flaw mitigation works.

You can't make everyone happy, I don't think this will cause must of a sales lose. Hence why I don't think it is stupid.

It won't effect launch sales but this, along with other poor choices, can affect the image/perception of the system. This could have a more damaging impact over the long term.

Say I can get a Switch or an iPad for my kids to use at home and bring on trips, can't afford both. Which device do you think would have the most entertainment value? Wouldn't Nintendo want people to get a Switch instead of a tablet? I suppose you don't think such a situation could be real?

oti

Banned
Say I can get a Switch or an iPad for my kids to use at home and bring on trips, can't afford both. Which device do you think would have the most entertainment value? Wouldn't Nintendo want people to get a Switch instead of a tablet? I suppose you don't think such a situation could be real?

I understand your point and I'm not saying you're wrong, in the end people will definitely compare these two products, but Switch can't substitute a tablet. That's not happening. Tablets are popular because they offer thousands of different apps. Parents love them because they offer thousands of free games. If I was a parent and my kid wouldn't care that much about Nintendo games, there's no good reason to get them a Switch instead of an Amazon tablet, that offers Amazon Video and free Prime Games without any IAP.

I just don't think Nintendo can even remotely compete with tablets. That's not what they're good at anyway. So instead of doing that they decided to focus their efforts for the people who will want to buy a Switch at launch. The enthusiasts. There's always room to branch out to other consumer demographics at a later point.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

If Nintendo don't want to bother making an electronic hardware platform then they know where their future lies.

Thats the elephant in the room with all this at this point. It's not that Nintendo says it doesn't 'want' to compete with rival consoles, or smartphones, or tablets, or PC's or anything. It's that at this point they seemingly just can't compete anymore and their hardware business is eking out its borrowed time before the inevitable. They can't keep up with what hardware security requires, what internet service platforms require, what enticing and supporting third parties requires. It's all just adding up and making the "so why do Nintendo still make hardware then?" question get louder and louder.

The Switch was probably their last chance to show they could keep up with all other electronic products on Earth, but here we are with people trying to handwave all this shit away like they're a special case. If everyones already saying "well that other hardware is just better, duh" already, it just seems like people are at different stages of acceptance.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I understand your point and I'm not saying you're wrong, in the end people will definitely compare these two products, but Switch can't substitute a tablet. That's not happening. Tablets are popular because they offer thousands of different apps. Parents love them because they offer thousands of free games. If I was a parent and my kid wouldn't care that much about Nintendo games, there's no good reason to get them a Switch instead of an Amazon tablet, that offers Amazon Video and free Prime Games without any IAP.

I just don't think Nintendo can even remotely compete with tablets. That's not what they're good at anyway. So instead of doing that they decided to focus their efforts for the people who will want to buy a Switch at launch. The enthusiasts. There's always room to branch out to other consumer demographics at a later point.

Kids don't use so many things in a tablet though. Some apps and games that pick their attention. The lack of YouTube is the most damaging from this point of view. My kid would abandon it in half a day without YouTube.

There was some times ago a long discussion how kids don't play anymore on Nintendo devices that much and they go directly from tablets to playstation when they grow. How can Nintendo take this market back if they don't even try.

pswii60

There was some times ago a long discussion how kids don't play anymore on Nintendo devices that much and they go directly from tablets to playstation when they grow. How can Nintendo take this market back if they don't even try.
The reveal trailer was all teens and 20-somethings. They're not aiming at kids at this point in the lifecycle, they're going after fans and early adopters. Video apps will happen in time.

A tablet for a kid wouldn't require such a vast array of apps though, mostly youtube/VOD/browser/games. Something to keep a kid occupied for a few hours while traveling and such.

Would be so much better for Nintendo if they could say "the Switch can do that too", which justifies the price a bit. Even if this demographic would yield a low attach rate it grows the user base.

oti

Banned
Kids don't use so many things in a tablet though. The lack of YouTube is the most damaging from this point of view. My kid would abandon it in half a day without YouTube.

I agree, that lack of YouTube is baffling and I don't understand it.

We talk about value all the time here and part of the value perception when it comes to smart devices are the different app stores. That's why Android and Apple thrive while Windows Phone failed. If you can't attract developers to release apps on your platform you're done. Nintendo could never, ever, remotely compete with either the App Store or Google Play. No matter how much they would try. It just doesn't make sense for Nintendo or App developers.

Their goal is to attract video game developers who want to offer their games through the eShop and potentially build a platform that allows for prices higher than 0 (not F2P mobile) but also allows smaller games (not AAA budget explosions) to shine while Nintendo themselves will be selling their own IPs, trying to expand the install base, hence attracting more developers and so on. That's a very video game focused approach to expanding your platform on both sides, consumers and developers.

It's just that if you think this through, it's a very odd concept that shouldn't work. No matter how you look at it, the past few years have shown us that this approach should not work. But Nintendo is banking on their own IP being as strong as ever while also being smart enough to not put all their bets on Switch, that's why they diversify their offerings.

All that said, I think this hybrid is the best and pretty much only form factor Nintendo could have chosen for their unique position in both the console and the handheld markets and their company profile. Question is, whether this will work or not.

A tablet for a kid wouldn't require such a vast array of apps though, mostly youtube/VOD/browser/games. Something to keep a kid occupied for a few hours while traveling and such.

Would be so much better for Nintendo if they could say "the Switch can do that too", which justifies the price a bit. Even if this demographic would yield a low attach rate it grows the user base.

I completely agree, about the lack of media apps at least. I don't expect Nintendo to fill up the eShop with a bunch of F2P games though. That would undermine the point of the platform. And they have their own smart device apps for that now anyway.

The only reasoning I could come up with for the lack of media apps at launch is Nintendo knowing Switch at launch is too expensive to attract a substantial amount of kids or parents so might as well push media apps down on the priority list. But, I don't know. A lot about this launch is odd.

pswii60

Kids aren't that simple. I know I wasn't. And I grew up in the 80s.

This isn't ever going to replace my iPad Air 2 as a tablet. This has yet to convince me to replace my 3DS XL as a portable gaming machine. This has definitely not convinced me to add another home console to my house when my currently owned systems have tons of games coming out that I want. What is this device supposed to do for me again? I watch YouTube, Hulu, and Netflix on damn near every device that has the apps available depending on what room I am in, who else is using the devices, and how sleepy I am.

If I were to consider purchasing a Switch, I would want the convenience of being able to quickly hop out of a game, and into a YouTube video or movie. Without powering down the system and turning another one on.

A premium price-tag for a cheap and lazy product. No thanks.

This was probably never going to happen, but I feel like Nintendo could have done something to address the "thousands of free games" on mobile by launching the system with a robust store that supported developers bringing lot of iPad/iPhone (mobile) ports.

If you've got a system that has a browser, VOD, YouTube, small "budget" titles from mobile and "console" sized games, I think that's a much more compelling system than one that just has the latter. But like I said, that wasn't going to happen so this is all really an irrelevant hypothetical I suppose.

Top Bottom