• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch will launch with no video apps, being considered for future

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
A 300 dollar tablet like device that does literally nothing but play nintendo games is going to be a terrible value proposition compared to the other tablets is my point.

Sure a lot of kids have hand me down ipads and cheap kindles. But if they ask for a 300 dollar Switch for Christmas (which to the average parent just looks like another tablet), and they find out it doesn't do 80% of the things the 80 dollar kindle fire does, it will be a hard sell. I think Nintendo overestimates the draw their IP still has with younger kids.

It's a terrible value proposition even with these apps if you are getting it as a general use case device for kids though. That's sorta the point.

The price point itself is a hindrance. Hence why I have only one preordered and not multiple despite the fact that we have 4 different 3ds family of devices in our house.

Sure I see no downside to having streaming apps, and I too think it's stupid to actively balk at having them on your system.

I just don't think this specifically is a big blow in terms of selling to kids as the price was already high. General use case meant parents were already looking at other devices if they didn't already own one.

klier

No everyone hasn't. You should step out of GAF for a minute. Even better, look at other countries than the US.

I am in the EU. And the EU, the US and Japan are the only countries that matter for Nintendo. And in all those countries everyone has 30 devices to watch Netflix.

Teppic

I don't have an iPad so these features would be something I want to see, at least web browsing/YouTube. I'm pretty sure they will be there eventually.

VanWinkle

If anything, having web browser and video apps make even MORE sense now than with the 3DS and Wii U. The thing is literally a tablet with a capacitive touch screen.

You didn't, but just because this doesn't have a negative effect on you doesn't excuse Nintendo on skimping on features we expect and it sounded like you were excusing them.

I'm making my opinion on how it impacts me. I didn't comment on anybody else or what decisions Nintendo is making. Go relax lol 😂

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
...Consumers expect more from the electronic devices on which they consume their media...

Ok this seems (to me) to be the main issue here. I'm honestly not trying to sound like a smart-ass but variations on, "Everybody else does it" and, "Why not?" just aren't compelling reasons to do something. Consumer expectations could be.

I say could because once again I have to wonder who are Nintendo actually aiming their work at? I say they could be trying to appeal to anybody who has an interest in gaming. I watched the Switch reveal trailer as well. To me it could be a company saying, basically, "We have a new gaming device. Anybody can play it anywhere."

I could be wrong (and again, it could be moot) but I think Nintendo could be aiming for anyone who has an interest in gaming and saying, "On the TV, on the train, at the park... You can play anywhere with the Switch." Play anywhere you want. Not do anything you want, play anywhere.

It could be possible. Nintendo's priority could be to make a device that people can use anywhere to play games.

And I know I said, "could be" far too many times here, but the point stands dammit!

azyless

I am in the EU. And the EU, the US and Japan are the only countries that matter for Nintendo. And in all those countries everyone has 30 devices to watch Netflix.
No ? lol.
In France alone :
- 25% of people aged 15 or more don't even have a smartphone
- 55% of households don't have a tablet
- 71% of households don't have a video games console
- 78% of households don't have a Smart TV
- 93% of households don't have a device like Chromecast or Apple TV
So no, sorry to break it to you but not "everyone has 30 devices to watch Netflix".
The Switch could have acted as both a device connected to the TV and as a replacement for a tablet when it comes to basic features like Netflix or internet browsing, the fact that it chooses not to is a little baffling.

Maybe Chris Kohler was right. Maybe Nintendo has given up on trying to win mass market support and is instead opting to just heavily monetize Nintendo diehards (whales) with extreme upselling.

Correct. Amiibos were the first step. Look at their Switch accessory structure and their historical inability to transfer VC titles without "charges".

During the course of the Wii U, Nintendo realized that they are unlikely to win back mass market appeal so they will pump out first party games and milk everything they can out of their base while minimizing costs.

Consolidating your handheld and console teams into one means that its even easier to squeeze every dollar out of the fan base.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Correct. Amiibos were the first step. Look at their Switch accessory structure and their historical inability to transfer VC titles without "charges".

During the course of the Wii U, Nintendo realized that they are unlikely to win back mass market appeal so they will pump out first party games and milk everything they can out of their base while minimizing costs.

Consolidating your handheld and console teams into one means that its even easier to squeeze every dollar out of the fan base.

God damn that's cynical, I feel like you were smoking a strong cigarette and drinking straight whisky as you wrote it.

I can't think that way. I know, *ding ding* Big Corporation wants your money by the way! I know that, but when I listen to Eiji Aonuma talk about the work that went into Breath of The Wild, I hear real passion for making the best game possible. That means more to me than corporate money-making schemes.

Sephzilla

AC0ZcVB.gif

Conan-san

You have games on your phone too. I'd love to know what more you're getting out of games because the device lacks media capabilities.

And when you can get Splatoon (as in "Nintendo seal of quality" Splatoon, not that Chinese nonsense) on your mobile then that might actauly be a valid point.

VanWinkle

Ok this seems (to me) to be the main issue here. I'm honestly not trying to sound like a smart-ass but variations on, "Everybody else does it" and, "Why not?" just aren't compelling reasons to do something. Consumer expectations could be.

I say could because once again I have to wonder who are Nintendo actually aiming their work at? I say they could be trying to appeal to anybody who has an interest in gaming. I watched the Switch reveal trailer as well. To me it could be a company saying, basically, "We have a new gaming device. Anybody can play it anywhere."

I could be wrong (and again, it could be moot) but I think Nintendo could be aiming for anyone who has an interest in gaming and saying, "On the TV, on the train, at the park... You can play anywhere with the Switch." Play anywhere you want. Not do anything you want, play anywhere.

It could be possible. Nintendo's priority could be to make a device that people can use anywhere to play games.

And I know I said, "could be" far too many times here, but the point stands dammit!

The days of the single-function mobile device is over. Nintendo needs to get with the times.

And when you can get Splatoon (as in "Nintendo seal of quality" Splatoon, not that Chinese nonsense) on your mobile then that might actauly be a valid point.

The point is switch appears to be made with only hardcore Nintendo fans in mind. That's a problem for hardcore Nintendo fans who want to see this company succeed.

theWB27

This isn't even a counterargument. You picked a specific game to counter the broader meaning of my response. I've never played Splatoon. But I do know the Switch lacking modern capabilities isn't making that game any better.

Games only is not a positive in 2017.

- J - D -

The amazing dedicated video game platform with 1 or 2 notable games at launch. Oh, would you look at that, we're not in the mid-90's anymore. Someone tell Nintendo.

flkraven

It seems like the strongest Nintendo defenders are big fans of devices that just focus on 1 thing. I wonder if they'll carry around a backpack with their Switch, call-only phone, stand alone GPS, address book, organizer, alarm clock, etc. It's completely irrational to expect a piece of technology worth $300+ to do anything more than 1 things, am I right?

Conan-san

This isn't even a counterargument. You picked a specific game to counter the broader meaning of my response. I've never played Splatoon. But I do know the Switch lacking modern capabilities isn't making that game any better.

Games only is not a positive in 2017.

Splatoon, Zelda, Tell you what, when Mario Odessey shows up on iOS then I'll give you a point.

The games i play on my mobile are not he games I want to be playing at home.

Firemind

It seems like the strongest Nintendo defenders are big fans of devices that just focus on 1 thing. I wonder if they'll carry around a backpack with their Switch, call-only phone, stand alone GPS, address book, organizer, alarm clock, etc. It's completely irrational to expect a piece of technology worth $300+ to do anything more than 1 things, am I right?
215471989_GKZWD-2100x20000.jpg

theWB27

Splatoon, Zelda, Tell you what, when Mario Odessey shows up on iOS then I'll give you a point.

The games i play on my mobile are not he games I want to be playing at home.

The point is capabilities...not specific games. Your list is meaningless. Whatever game you list is meaningless. It means nothing. People saying they can do something the Switch can't on ANOTHER device is the whole point.

Nintendo should want the user to be in their ecosystem for more reasons than just games. There's a very good post about this a few pages back. Nintendo is the only company running away from wanting their users to use their system as much as possible.

Shocking that anyone would defend this tbh. They're literally going backwards and losing functionality from their last two home consoles, how is that a good thing in any conceivable sense? Even if you have other devices to access Netflix, youtube, etc, that's not the point.

flkraven

As opposed to the $700 device that might as well be a brick if you try to get a AAA game out of it.

If you are referring to my phone, then I think your argument is incredibly flawed. I don't have to pay for it outright, and it can do nearly everything conceivably possible out of an electronic device: text message, call, surf any website, have any video app, GPS, take photos and video, social media, and it has a far bigger gaming library than the Nintendo Switch will ever have. They may not all be 'triple a' but there are some big ones like Minecraft, King of Fighters, Hitman/Laura Croft Go, Xcom, etc. Oh, and my phone can also do VR.

If I were you, I wouldn't argue value proposition of a Switch vs a Smart Phone because you will lose every time.

Zarovitch

Shocking that anyone would defend this tbh. They're literally going backwards and losing functionality from their last two home consoles, how is that a good thing in any conceivable sense? Even if you have other devices to access Netflix, youtube, etc, that's not the point.

It's just for launch...
I just hope Netflix will come soon.

Papacheeks

Banned
It's just for launch...

According to Vern and the way they said we'll consider it, means it's not even in the cards at this point in time.

Which means it's up in the air if this will ever get it, especially with the screenshots we've seen of how the OS looks and operates. There is a settings tab, games, eshop and something else for chatting that's it.

Like other's mentioned even the 3DS has netflix, even though a small percentage use it on that device because the screen is meh.

But this has a nice screen, it has the power and capability to run those. Especially if you look at the SD/,MSD card slot which could be used for storage of music/videos etc. So if this thing is only for gaming, then it should IMHO be much cheaper. But like other's have mentioned the value proposition is very lacking compared to what's out there. Even compared to their older devices the 3DS, and Wii U.

It's just for launch...

I understand that it's just for launch, but their wording is questionable. "Being considered for the future"

It's intentionally vague, and a lot of people will be disappointed when they boot up their Switch on launch and realize it's missing basic features most hardware has access to in 2017. Not everyone reads press releases and follows Neogaf to even be aware that it's not included at launch. For average consumers these types of decisions only further cement the idea that Nintendo is out of touch.

azyless

Which means it's up in the air if this will ever get it, especially with the screenshots we've seen of how the OS looks and operates. There is a settings tab, games, eshop and something else for chatting that's it.
There's no chat icon on the UI we've seen so far.
Everyone already has 59 devices for that anyway !

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely a bad look perception wise as it's yet another thing that the others have that Nintendon't.

I couldn't care less myself as I have tons of gadgets with streaming apps and haven't used those apps on consoles in years. We have Tivos and Apple TVs on our TVs that we use for those apps, and iPads for on the go.

This is just my opinion, but I am getting the Switch to play games on, not for it to provide me entertainment features.

Now, if this is your primary console, then that is where concerns can be called up. If you don't have a smart tv, or a streaming stick then you're out of luck.

Papacheeks

Banned
No that's Game News. Similar to the "Notifications" on 3DS I imagine.

Oh, is that confirmed? It looks like a chat bubble?

This is just my opinion, but I am getting the Switch to play games on, not for it to provide me entertainment features.

Now, if this is your primary console, then that is where concerns can be called up. If you don't have a smart tv, or a streaming stick then you're out of luck.

No one is saying that you can't enjoy this for what it is on paper which is for gaming on the go. But the value proposition is what people are mostly talking and comparing. This thing is straight up over priced for what it does. And blame that on the Joycon's or what ever, but still it's a tablet like device people are going to compare it to other similar devices. Either that be home console, hand held, or tablet's that play games it's going to get compared to those, and for good reason.

This is 2017 and if Nintendo's main focus was this is a straight up portable console, then price and mobility would have been factored in with other competing products, which in turn would mean cheaper price out the gate.

Top Bottom