• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch will launch with no video apps, being considered for future

HardRojo

I guess I'll start referring to my PS4 as a PC. Wish I could install Google Docs instead of having to do my word processing through the browser.
You seem to bring up the PS4 for every attempt at a counterpoint. It's like a pattern...
Stop being so logical, can't you see the sky is falling?
Oh come on as if people weren't being logical with the criticism towards Nintendo's decisions with the Switch. Wow...

Vena

But damn if Nintendo ain't trying to chase that casual market again that they gained during the Wii era but lost afterward after they migrated to tablets and mobile, y'know those devices which can do a multitude of other things, playing games amongst them.

By the time the Switch is at a price where casuals will actually be the major target market and the Switch's roll out moves from eating up the WiiU to taking over for the 3DS, these apps will be available.

They'll probably be available within weeks of launch. It doesn't take long to make a Netflix app for a friendly API on common architecture, it just requires you to have a dev kit.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It's not a tablet.

It's not a tablet.

dBDpe2Q.gif

lenovox1

Wow, people in this thread be all like "doesn't affect me, don't care!"...

The Switch is a portable device, it would have been nice being able to watch videos on a larger screen than my phone. Use case number one.

People that have kids can buy them a Switch and it would have let them not only play games but also watch shows that they like, something that devices like cheap tablets are currently used for. Now, instead of not needing to buy that tablet they would have to decide which one to buy. Not smart for Nintendo considering the price difference.

Again, people acting like their use case is the only one and it clearly isn't important because they're an adult with 10 other Netflix devices and 2 tablets that they constantly carry around with them when they're on the go should start considering that other people exist with different situations.

This is not a use case that currently exists. If someone is buying a Switch for a child on launch, what in the world is that child going to play?

If the thing doesn't have Netflix on it next year, then we can talk.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The amount of apologists in this thread is truly irritating.

Nintendo lacks basic features anyone else has and fanboys expect that they should not have to compete because Nintendo.

Anyone dares to call them out and they are labeled a hater making a hay about nothing.

Nintendo has long since maintained the position that they can't replace phones, but that phones can't fully replace their dedicated video game devices.

Nobody is trying to get hardware sales from the woman that plays Fruit Ninja an hour a day while she's waiting for the bus.

Why not, they certainly have motion controllers to try to appeal to that casual gamer again. Multimedia devices will replace dedicated video game devices. It's already begun. Sony is out of the dedicated handheld video game business. Nintendo has merged their console/handheld into one device. This will be its last stand for a portable dedicated video game device. Either Nintendo will adapt or die off.

MUnited83

For you.
I guess I'll start referring to my PS4 as a PC. Wish I could install Google Docs instead of having to do my word processing through the browser.

Tablets are a form factor.
PC is a platform.

Tablets have had proprietary locked down OSes since forever.
PC is traditionally open.

HardRojo

You kinda get that when we are on a forum discussing videogame consoles. Would you prefer I replace PS4 with Xbox?
Nope, comparing both consoles is fine. When every counterpoint becomes a variation of "but mom, my friend didn't do it either" things don't look as good though.

Vena

Tablets have had proprietary locked down OSes since forever.
PC is traditionally open.

Tablets are as open as PCs are, what even is this weird distinction? You can do just about anything with a tablet and put in whatever the hell type of OS you want, same as a PC.

What is even happening in this thread?

This is not a use case that currently exists. If someone is buying a Switch for a child on launch, what in the world is that child going to play?

If the thing doesn't have Netflix on it next year, then we can talk.

Ha ha, a "Switch has no games" joke... In any case, early impressions often stick and if it gets around that Switch doesn't have Netflix etc at launch, many people will never check to see if that changed and will cross it off their list of things to get down the road.

Suzzopher

Devices are all about getting turned on(ooooeeer), the PS4 is the most used device in our house, if it's not being used to play games it's being used to watch video/TV content. All devices are competing for your time, be that to game, surf the net, post shit on twitter or watching video, so in 2017 it's important that a device be able to do more than thing.

I rarely pick up my 3DS or Vita unless it's to specifically play a game, but my phone or tablet are what I reach for 90% of the time.

I no longer see the need for a Sky TV box under the TV now as I just stream Sky/Now TV to the PS4 (moved my PS3 to the bedroom so I can watch Netflix and NowTV up there). It's all about getting you to turn on the device even if you are not going to use it for its primary function.

MUnited83

For you.
Uh, windows is a platform. PCs are as much a form factor as tablets are.

PCs are what computers with windows installed are tradionally called. Hence why people tread MAC and PC as separate entities.
Tablets are as open as PCs are, what even is this weird distinction? You can do just about anything with a tablet and put in whatever the hell type of OS you want, same as a PC.

What is even happening in this thread?
They are only open if the manufacturer wants it to be open. Nintendo made a tablet with the switch, and made the OS proprietary.

This basically kills half my interest in the system, to be honest. What a failure of foresight on Nintendo's part.

You have what could be a great tablet, with amazing game support. Instead, you leave two of the main things I wanted the switch for, a web browser, video streaming tablet, and leave me with basically no hope for the other main thing I wanted, ability to read comics and ebooks.

I dont even know what to think at this point, Im almost to the point of apathy.
Yeah I have yet to see a compelling argument for why I should buy the Switch until it gets a massive price drop and an increased games catalog.

Additionally many of the arguments I see why the Switch won't flop are the same arguments used for the Wii U. Nintendo needs a major shakeup for their next console.

guek

Banned
It's pretty clear though that stuff like Netflix will be coming eventually. Being upset the launch is anemic when it comes to games and features but so many people acting like the thing will never have a good library of games or multimedia apps is baffling. Christ, the full year's 1st party lineup is already solid provided everything makes their dates and we still likely have a lot to learn about their holiday slate come E3. Netflix will come too, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Mindlog

It's not a tablet.
Mind blown.
You could buy an old NVidia Shield as an accessory to do all the things the Switch can't do on its own.

The Switch was a dual screen portable this whole time.

Don't feel like opening up PS so imagine the following. A Nintendo Direct on the Shield. A Joycon charge grip and Switch on the right.

Dual screen!
0jpXPxX.jpg

HardRojo

Just to get it out of the way, Sony also doesn't allow name changes on PSN. So it's OK that Nintendo doesn't have whatever.
Fortunately Sony still gets shit for that lol, I've been wanting to change my PSN ID for some years now but I can't. Also, the feature is always at the top of most requested feature polls I believe, so hopefully they'll finally sort that stuff soon, it's shitty.

It's pretty clear though that stuff like Netflix will be coming eventually. Being upset the launch is anemic when it comes to games and features but so many people acting like the thing will never have a good library of games or multimedia apps is baffling. Christ, the full year's 1st party lineup is already solid provided everything makes their dates and we still likely have a lot to learn about their holiday slate come E3. Netflix will come too, hopefully sooner rather than later.
The only Switch exclusives most people are gonna give a shit about are Splatoon 2 (which is severely hampered by Nintendo's online structure/subscription) and Mario Odyssey.

MK8 is a port, Zelda isn't an exclusive.

Its 3rd party games are mostly year old ports that don't even have the updated features or graphics of the new versions.

duckroll

Lmao, a tablet-like device that doesn't have video apps.

Why would I buy this thing at launch again? Zelda's on the Wii U.

I don't think it's really for people who already have a WiiU. I don't have a WiiU and I'm getting it for Zelda. It's extremely appealing to me.

lenovox1

Why not, they certainly have motion controllers to try to appeal to that casual gamer again. Multimedia devices will replace dedicated video game devices. It's already begun. Sony is out of the dedicated handheld video game business. Nintendo has merged their console/handheld into one device. This will be its last stand for a portable dedicated video game device. Either Nintendo will adapt or die off.

That woman would buy a Switch as a digital board game replacement essentially. She have the money to spend on an iPhone and a Switch.

And it isn't going to happen while trying Switch is $300.

Few, few people in the real world are going to be connecting an iPad with the Nintendo Switch in that way.

Not that they didn't already try to integrate media functions in their console and massively failed on every level on that front due to poor software support and poor knowledge of the business.

theWB27

Again...if people are buying the system day one they're going to want games to play now. And games to play while they wait for the other games to come.

RibMan

Nobody is trying to get hardware sales from the woman that plays Fruit Ninja an hour a day while she's waiting for the bus.

Reggie Fils-aime said:
Furthest from the truth, so again, we believe that our systems need to be mass market systems, from 5 to 95. A broad footprint. But each game is going to appeal to a certain part of that demographic. And it’ll fill out the base. That strategy continues. This is a system for everybody. This is a system that will appeal to a wide group. It’s going to get filled in over time as the different games come in.

http://time.com/4635415/nintendo-switch-online-reggie-fils-amie/

I don't think it's really for people who already have a WiiU. I don't have a WiiU and I'm getting it for Zelda. It's extremely appealing to me.
Yeah but as someone who has neither the Wii U is actually more appealing as its accessories are cheaper and it has actual games already, in addition to not having to pay for online for mk8, ssb and splatoon.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty clear though that stuff like Netflix will be coming eventually.

Perhaps, perhaps not, it sounds like Nintendo is still considering it:

"However, support for video-streaming services is being considered for a future update"

The console launch is a few weeks away, seems like they should know these details by now.

mAcOdIn

Stop being so logical, can't you see the sky is falling?
In all fairness, that's putting words in Nintendo's mouth. I'm a fan of taking people at their word. If Nintendo came out and said "hey we have limited dev kits and we wanted to ensure game developers had them first so media apps will be late" I'd think that sucks but that it's not a problem. But if you tell someone that it was a business decision that may or may not change I think it's fair to assume they're telling the truth and to worry.

Terrell

Literally no one would have complained about a feature that doesn't affect them in any way being present.

People still complain about Miis, despite no game made on the Wii U mandating that you give a single shit about them.

I understand the point you're making, but it's objectively untrue.

This is, potentially, a perception issue. Of course people have a hundred devices to watch Netflix on, but those kinds of things add value to a consumer's perception. Switch being so bare bones in so many ways at launch leads to the perception that it's going to be lacking in content, both media and gaming.

Truthfully, Switch isn't likely to see a whole lot of sales traction until the next holiday shopping season, so it seems like a calculated effort by Nintendo to focus energies elsewhere until such a time that these features are worth talking about. To early adopters, they're buying solely because it's a gaming device.

This is being rushed and that should concern everyone.

Again, I don't think we can use this decision in particular to say the launch was rushed. The move feels like a calculated decision by Nintendo.
Instead of them doing all the legwork, they'll sell the hardware to a point where Netflix comes to them to make the app, instead of pushing for it to be there for launch like other consoles have, with sometimes terrible results (read: garbage versions of the app that require multiple patches before they're worth using).

Vena

Yeah I have yet to see a compelling argument for why I should buy the Switch until it gets a massive price drop and an increased games catalog.

Additionally many of the arguments I see why the Switch won't flop are the same arguments used for the Wii U. Nintendo needs a major shakeup for their next console.

Lmao, a tablet-like device that doesn't have video apps.

Why would I buy this thing at launch again? Zelda's on the Wii U.

The only Switch exclusives most people are gonna give a shit about are Splatoon 2 (which is severely hampered by Nintendo's online structure/subscription) and Mario Odyssey.

Its 3rd party games are mostly year old ports that don't even have the updated features or graphics of the new versions.

Are you sure you're hear to discuss the absence of multimedia apps, or are you looking for someone to validate your views?

duckroll

Yeah but as someone who has neither the Wii U is actually more appealing as its accessories are cheaper and it has actual games already, in addition to not having to pay for online for mk8, ssb and splatoon.

Not to me? The WiiU is expensive as hell still and it's a deadend system. There's a reason I don't own one. I specifically want to play Zelda, why would I buy the old dead system which I can't take with me on the go, when I can buy the new system at the same price to play a better version of the specific game I want? See?

That woman would buy a Switch as a digital board game replacement essentially. She have the money to spend on an iPhone and a Switch.

And it isn't going to happen while trying Switch is $300.

Few, few people in the real world are going to be connecting an iPad with the Nintendo Switch in that way.

Not that they didn't already try to integrate media functions in their console and massively failed on every level on that front due to poor software support and poor knowledge of the business.

Of course, few people would use the Nintendo Switch in any way but a gaming device, because that's all it offers which heavily limits it's appeal in a market competitive full of multimedia devices that in addition can play hundreds to thousands of games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well, there goes my opportunity for an 11th Netflix Capable device.

You know why Netflix is on so many devices? So it's convenient and you can flip from whatever your doing in a device to watching Netflix quickly. You don't have to put away your device and get out another one.

Even if you have 10 devices with Netflix it is still convenient for switch to have it, if you've been playing and want to watch something

Clearly wouldn't be a reason to buy, but can make the device sticker meaning more active hours using it which is also good for Nintendo

Crayon

Not me. Wiiu is an ugly abomination. Switch is sleek and tidy. There's a huge gap in raw desirability. I would grudgingly get a Wii u for Zelda but I'm excited to get a switch for Zelda.

guek

Banned

We don't know what Nintendo's online structure looks like at all

Arms looks great and is loved by just about everyone who has played it

Plus we got stuff like Xenoblade 2 and Fire Emblem coming this year (if all goes well)

And Zelda and MK8 being ports doesn't negate the fact that there's plenty of appeal for them on the Switch due to better visuals, extra modes, and portability.

And Mario Odyssey is a possible GOTY contender to boot.

Are you sure you're hear to discuss the absence of multimedia apps, or are you looking for someone to validate your views?
I'm here to discuss the absence of multimedia apps which is one of many baffling, irrational decisions Nintendo has made on their 2nd dead console in a row.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The amount of apologists in this thread is truly irritating.

Nintendo lacks basic features anyone else has and fanboys expect that they should not have to compete because Nintendo.

Anyone dares to call them out and they are labeled a hater making a hay about nothing.

It's not really a big deal

/s

Alebrije

Truly the only 2017 hardcore console just for gamers. Just games nothing else.

Will buy it since no care about apps or video stuff but for some people the lack of this stuff is a downside.

I'm one of those (potential) Switch users that would use it as a home console 99% of the time. Therefore, lack of video apps on the Switch doesn't affect me at all. And even if it did, it's not like they said "we'll NEVER have video apps"... So this is really not a big deal.

But I also realize I'm not the only use case, and people's complaints need to be heard, especially when:

1. The (gaming) competitors' devices have those apps
2. Functionally equivalent devices (e.g., tablets) have those apps
3. Hell, the home console Nintendo is replacing has those apps. (And pretty awesome ones at that; I find myself using Netflix and Amazon Instant Video much more on my Wii U than any other device in my home, by far)

Regarding #3, the lack of video apps on the Switch seems like a regression. But for the Nintendo fanatics in this thread, this is not an attack on Nintendo; for a long time, Sony (deservedly) caught a lot of flack for the PS4 being a significant regression from the PS3 when it came to home media capabilities.

TL;DR. It's understandable why this issue would upset a certain portion of the potential Switch users, but to me personally this is a non-issue.

Permanently A

It just seems kind of shocking to not have at least Netflix on launch. You're marketing it as a portable device, and it surely has a bigger screen than the phone I'm gonna be carrying around for fucking voice chat, and no one at Nintendo thought that people might want to use the Switch to watch TV?

Truly the only 2017 hardcore console just for gamers. Just games nothing else.
Not 3rd party or mp games either ;)
Not me. Wiiu is an ugly abomination. Switch is sleek and tidy. There's a huge gap in raw dusreability. I would grudgingly get a Wii u for Zelda but I'm excited to get a switch for Zelda.
Those are a lot of buzzwords, I would say the Wii U has higher usability due to having multimedia apps and no paid online personally.

The portability is rendered almost pointless with all of the extra shit you have to deal with.

Top Bottom