• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch will launch with no video apps, being considered for future

duckroll

Ill be happy just to get a dedicated pure gaming machine. I was hoping that's what my PS4 would do but then they started branching out into releasing exclusive TV content like Microsoft.

I'm not sure how something doing more takes away from anything it already does. Is Uncharted less of a game because the machine it runs on also streams Powers?

I'll be the first to admit some of Nintendo's decisions are indefensibly backwards. If they choose to never implement Netflix support, that would be an example of such a decision.
I'm fairly certain that Netflix would be the ones implementing it on the switch, and not the other way around. Nintendo must have closed off their system from third party apps, again, most likely due to security.

This is not them being lazy, they are making some very conscious decisions.

Petrae

Why are Nintendo fans so afraid of holding them to present time standards? It's so weird to see them so nonchalant about not having things people find useful.

How can I write this.....they've made a platform that actively pushes you to use devices other than the Switch.

While the others are making machines in a way that you can spend as much time as possible on their platform...Nintendo is quite ok with you NOT using their system. It's absolutely mind boggling.

Nintendo fears convergence. It always has. Nintendo consoles are the only ones over the last three console generations to not allow for disc media playback, instead relying (begrudgingly) on streaming media late in the Wii's lifetime and eventually implementing streaming media on the ill-fated WiiU.

Nintendo brass refuses to understand that convergence is the standard. Employing a "video game-only" approach may appeal to the extreme minority of hardcore gaming consumers who irrationally fear that convergence will get in the way of their games, but for the majority of consumers, convergence is expected.

Sure, many consumers have multiple devices that can play streaming video. Does that mean that they're going to want to (wait for it) Switch to another device to watch a movie or stream some YouTube videos when their other devices also play games and can allow them to watch video content without having to lug something else around or activate another machine? It's inconvenient as best and annoying at worst.

As someone else earlier in the thread pointed out, Nintendo is attempting to sell a console with fewer features at a higher cost than more fully-featured machines. It's a bold strategy. Once Nintendo sells the first wave of Switch to its most loyal and rabid fanbase (and legions of scalpers), that sell becomes much harder.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
There's a lot of dumb decisions Nintendo made with the switch. This isn't really one of them. This could easily be remedied before summer

Then maybe Nintendo should have waited and released the console in the summer, when media players, web browser, and online infrastructure is ready.

I mean, it's a non issue for people who own other consoles, tablets, a laptop, smart TVs, android TV boxes, mobile phones, an Xone or a PS4.

Travesty for those who don't.

Perhaps those of us who travel for business or travel a lot for pleasure were hoping the switch may be able to replace a tablet in our travels instead of being an addition thing to lug around.

This is a tablet essentially. Only it doesn't do anything but play games.

Give me some basic apps and I wouldn't need the tablet. I wouldn't need to switch from my switch to my laptop to watch Amazon video or Hulu or Netflix. Give me a browser and I won't have to put down the switch to read neogaf or take a break and watch some movie trailers.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Which is a problem... why? You can choose to ignore all that stuff. I'm not understanding why having more options within the same system is bad, heck I use my PS4 for Twitch, YT and Netflix while I'm checking documents or doing other stuff in my laptop.
Edit: In this day and age a home console (the Switch is still one) that does gaming only can't even dream of dominating the market.

Options are bad. Even when it isnt hampering the other experiences.

HardRojo

I'm not sure how something doing more takes away from anything it already does. Is Uncharted less of a game because the machine it runs on also streams Powers?

Seriously, the "I want my gaming machine to only play games" argument is something I'll never understand in a world where devices are evolving to be able to do much more, just look at your phone, that mindset would have gotten us stuck with phones that can only call and send SMSs.

Ill be happy just to get a dedicated pure gaming machine. I was hoping that's what my PS4 would do but then they started branching out into releasing exclusive TV content like Microsoft.
I don't really understand the logic of wanting a "pure gaming machine." Does your console have multimedia features somehow degrade your gaming experience? Does having streaming video platforms creating their own apps somehow detract from video games? What exactly is the negative here when having these kinds of multimedia apps likely brings in more people than it might push away?

I just don't see it. We live in a world where cross-brand, multimedia intersectionality is increasingly important. Whether you really like it or not, embracing these things is more beneficial to the future of your console than ignoring it.

flkraven

Imagine the next Apple phone only made calls. "I have several tablets for apps, it's nice to have a device focused on calls "

Perhaps those of us who travel for business or travel a lot for pleasure were hoping the switch may be able to replace a tablet in our travels instead of being an addition thing to lug around.

This is a tablet essentially. Only it doesn't do anything but play games.

Give me some basic apps and I wouldn't need the tablet. I wouldn't need to switch from my switch to my laptop to watch Amazon video or Hulu or Netflix. Give me a browser and I won't have to put down the switch to read neogaf or take a break and watch some movie trailers.

But the switch has never been marketed as a multimedia device, let alone a tablet.

It's always been a game console/handheld hybrid period.

Yes, more options are great. But never in the development of the device have multimedia services been hinted at.

But the switch has never been marketed as a multimedia device, let alone a tablet.

Yes, more options are great. But never in the development of the device have multimedia services been hinted at.
Game consoles and handhelds have had multimedia services in the past and in the present. I don't see how it's a leap to expect Nintendo to support that standard when it's at next to no cost to them.

HardRojo

What does this mean?

He's saying that the PS4 comparison is funny because it doesn't go out of its way to present you with media other than games while you are navigating the console's meny, the TV stuff is even hidden in a folder along with the other video apps.

flkraven

He's saying that the PS4 comparison is funny because it doesn't go out of its way to present you with media other than games while you are navigating the console's meny, the TV stuff is even hidden in a folder along with the other video apps.

But on the Xbox one gaming is front and centre... Netflix isn't really "in your face"

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Fine with me if it means more efforts towards games. But I don't see that yet, and it's concerning.

But it's competing in a market that does.

Seloth

Banned

I don't recall making that proclamation.

Nintendo are marketing this as a pure games device, possibly an excuse because the system seems so bare bones, but that's what they're pushing it as. It's their choice what they do with the system.

This particular issue isn't a Nintendo issue, if Netflix want their customers to be able to consume their media on the device they will make an app for it. Nintendo can't force them to make an app for it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
This particular issue isn't a Nintendo issue, if Netflix want their customers to be able to consume their media on the device they will make an app for it. Nintendo can't force them to make an app for it.

More than likely Nintendo has not given Netflix a developers kit, hence no Netflix at launch.

Seloth

Banned
It shouldn't need to be "hinted at", video apps and web browsers are standard features for consoles these days.

Not all consoles, obviously.

More than likely Nintendo has not given Netflix a developers kit, hence no Netflix at launch.

Two things. 1, Nintendo doesn't have to hand out dev kits to everyone. 2. Even if they did, who's to say Netflix would even bother?

Jobbs

Banned
It's bizarre and a little scary that Nintendo is launching a tablet game console that lacks what has become basic, expected functionality.

I think, like with their online service, it's a symptom of Nintendo Japan still being run by dinosaurs who are completely out of it.

And yeah, my PS4 is my main device for watching movies and tv. I assure you its ability to do these things didn't make Bloodborne any less amazing.

theWB27

Nintendo fears convergence. It always has. Nintendo consoles are the only ones over the last three console generations to not allow for disc media playback, instead relying (begrudgingly) on streaming media late in the Wii's lifetime and eventually implementing streaming media on the ill-fated WiiU.

Nintendo brass refuses to understand that convergence is the standard. Employing a "video game-only" approach may appeal to the extreme minority of hardcore gaming consumers who irrationally fear that convergence will get in the way of their games, but for the majority of consumers, convergence is expected.

Sure, many consumers have multiple devices that can play streaming video. Does that mean that they're going to want to (wait for it) Switch to another device to watch a movie or stream some YouTube videos when their other devices also play games and can allow them to watch video content without having to lug something else around or activate another machine? It's inconvenient as best and annoying at worst.

As someone else earlier in the thread pointed out, Nintendo is attempting to sell a console with fewer features at a higher cost than more fully-featured machines. It's a bold strategy. Once Nintendo sells the first wave of Switch to its most loyal and rabid fanbase (and legions of scalpers), that sell becomes much harder.

Just to add to the last paragraph...not only less features but less games/power(I don't see 3rd party flocking to this)

Not all consoles, obviously.

So then it's not hard to see why they're in the place they're in. Sweet.

Then it's Nintendos choice to be a regressive company. Media features are an expected feature in video gaming. Does the switch even have a camera? Does it have the ability to play music from an sd card?

I already own a car with anti lock breaks, that doesn't mean I'd be ok if the next car I buy doesn't have anti lock breaks just because my other car does.

This logic of "well you have other devices that has media features, so it's ok if this $300 thing doesn't. Is garbage.

Guess what? I have other devises that play games too. So I guess I don't need a switch.

Game consoles and handhelds have had multimedia services in the past and in the present. I don't see how it's a leap to expect Nintendo to support that standard when it's at next to no cost to them.

They've not been entirely ruled out though?

I do understand how they'd be an advantage for the device. But personally I've already got a plethora of capable devices in my household. If I'd wanted to watch videos I'd rather use my LG G5 or iPad due to their better screens. It also makes them preferable for internet browsing etc. I carry my 3DS and phone around with me, whenever it came to a task other than gaming on my commute I'd switch over to my phone naturally because it's a better device for my needs at that point. The switch offering video services wouldn't stop people taking their phones with them on the go.

The switch was always, at least to me, pushed as a device to play gaming. They've never reffered to the device as a classical tablet - either a handheld or console.

If there is a need for them to be there, I hope Nintendo do bring the services to the device. However, as it is, I don't see the reason for this to cause an outcry.

I don't really care personally but I think it's a pretty big bummer for kids, Netflix has an excellent kids selection and my friends and family with kids pretty much source all their kid's entertainment through Netflix so to have that on a device your kid can take with them sounds pretty nice and like a missed opportunity from Nintendo. By the sounds of this though they'll probably have dealt with it by the holidays when people will be buying it for their families vs the early adopters who may not care as much about that feature.

Nintendo are marketing this as a pure games device, possibly an excuse because the system seems so bare bones, but that's what they're pushing it as. It's their choice what they do with the system.

This is like the lame "artist's intent" defense we get of controversial design choices in games. Yeah, obviously it's the choice of an artist or a developer to do what they want with their product. That doesn't mean it's above reproach.

And really, you want me to believe this isn't a Nintendo issue when we have no video apps launching with the Switch? Did you even read the OP of this thread?
However, support for video-streaming services is being considered for a future update.
That doesn't say "Netflix wouldn't make an app." It's saying "We don't support Netflix making an app right now and will reconsider that later."

Then it's Nintendos choice to be a regressive company. Media features are an expected feature in video gaming. Does the switch even have a camera? Does it have the ability to play music from an sd card?

I already own a car with anti lock breaks, that doesn't mean I'd be ok if the next car I buy doesn't have anti lock breaks just because my other car does.

This logic of "well you have other devices that has media features, so it's ok if this $300 thing doesn't. Is garbage.

Guess what? I have other devises that play games too. So I guess I don't need a switch.

I don't see how people don't get this and why the prospects of Switch' success appear smaller with every detail we learn.

lenovox1

Yeah, it's not a part of a grand scheme on Nintendo's part.

Weren't there rumors started here that Nintendo had limited dev kits to hand out?

I'm not saying Netflix is a low priority thing, but it is a low urgency thing for a product launching in March that is mostly going to sell to Zelda enthusiasts.

Well it's already failed as a "pure games device" if you need a smart phone to take advantage of a gaming feature as basic as communicating with your multiplayer partners.

So might as well scrap that idea

I don't really care personally but I think it's a pretty big bummer for kids, Netflix has an excellent kids selection and my friends and family with kids pretty much source all their kid's entertainment through Netflix so to have that on a device your kid can take with them sounds pretty nice and like a missed opportunity from Nintendo. By the sounds of this though they'll probably have dealt with it by the holidays when people will be buying it for their families vs the early adopters who may not care as much about that feature.

I personally think Netflix is less of an issue than the lack of ability to watch Youtube vids on Switch.

Yeah, it's not a part of a grand scheme on Nintendo's part.

Weren't there rumors started here that Nintendo had limited dev kits to hand out?

I'm not saying Netflix is a low priority thing, but it is a low urgency thing for a product launching in March that is mostly going to sell to Zelda enthusiasts.
So basically it's a rushed and possibly incomplete product.

I'm really feeling that early adopters are gonna get that fancy title again. Maybe they can Switch it up and call them Plenipotentiaries.

OmahaG8

The conspiracy theorist in me feels like Nintendo is really launching the Switch in the fall and "soft" launching it in March to take advantage of early adopters and potentially higher prices (assuming price drops occur by fall).

I personally think Netflix is less of an issue than the lack of ability to watch Youtube vids on Switch.
Yeah, YouTube and perhaps Twitch as well would both be great things to have on a console, and mesh immensely well with gaming consoles given you know, the obvious plethora of gaming-related content to consume on YouTube and Twitch lol

duckroll

The conspiracy theorist in me feels like Nintendo is really launching the Switch in the fall and "soft" launching it in March to take advantage of early adopters and potentially higher prices (assuming price drops occur by fall).

There's nothing soft about the Switch launch in March. Once they confirmed Zelda would be out at launch, I was instantly hard.

Seloth

Banned
On the upside it can't take them that long to produce an app if they decide to procure a dev kit and make an app.

Top Bottom