• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT| of Tag Assaulting the Devil, Ogres, Wild Animals & MILFs (Bitcap Warning)

Sayah

This is pretty unexpected, a Tekken 4 TACV from 538 of KYSG. He's mainly known for his 3rd Strike videos, though he's also made a few combo videos for the PSP Tekken games.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIw8AkGAzHc

Not sure if people agree but Tekken 4 felt graphically superior to Tekken 5. At least that's what it felt like to me when I made the transition to T5. The character models are so brilliant and the 3D environments and the use of colors seems better too. And Xiaoyu also seems taller.

GrayFoxPL

Not sure if people agree but Tekken 4 felt graphically superior to Tekken 5. At least that's what it felt like to me when I made the transition to T5. The character models are so brilliant and the 3D environments and the use of colors seems better too. And Xiaoyu also seems taller.

T4 looked super clean with pastel colors, T5 ...not.

Sayah

T4 looks to me like completely different engine.

Most likely, lol.
On a completely different note, anyone want to actually see first party characters in TKXSF in similar ways to SFXTK? I was thinking of it and it actually seems like a good opportunity to show off the depth of the series. It wouldn't just be Cole (or whoever else) using some electric superpowers. A full-fledged command-list for a first party character seems like a nice idea. It would also promote the Tekken series. Or maybe it's just my strong wanting for Link in a traditional fighter again. >_>
]Now into my fantasy world: they should do a scene where Alisa hands Link her head as a bomb. Link puts the head back on her and instead hands her his own bomb. PWND

GrayFoxPL

Most likely, lol.
On a completely different note, anyone want to actually see first party characters in TKXSF in similar ways to SFXTK? I was thinking of it and it actually seems like a good opportunity to show off the depth of the series. It wouldn't just be Cole (or whoever else) using some electric superpowers. A full-fledged command-list for a first party character seems like a nice idea. It would also promote the Tekken series. Or maybe it's just my strong wanting for Link in a traditional fighter again. >_>
]Now into my fantasy world: they should do a scene where Alisa hands Link her head as a bomb. Link puts the head back on her and instead hands her his own bomb. PWND

To be honest the possibility of guest characters in TxSF slipped my mind somehow.
Just not Kratos again, please.

Nothing comes to my mind right now, though characters from Urban Reign would fit like a glove. And Namco x Capcom jrpg had pretty nice roster AFAIK.(Fuckin' bring that game over here already!)

Sayah

To be honest the possibility of guest characters in TxSF slipped my mind somehow.

Nothing comes to my mind right now, though characters from Urban Reign would fit like a glove. And Namco x Capcom jrpg had pretty nice roster AFAIK.(Fuckin' bring that game over here already!)

Yeah, the possibility just recently crossed my mind as well. Sadly never played the Namco x Capcom jrpg. :/

zlatko

Banned
So I bought T6 over christmas vacation, and dipped some hours into it. What stinks is my old save file was on my old 360 that was pre slim, so I'd have to redo all the crappy third person action game mode to rack up cash to buy my Steve Fox stuff to wear. Kinda ugh about it.

Played several games online, and the matchmaking isn't terrible, but isn't great. The games I had weren't laggy, but I played the same guy at least 10 times in a row and each time he would come out the winner. This didn't bother me since I was just trying to learn, but later on I had a guy who was essentially just as crappy as I was, but he found a combo with King that starts with a really quick knee that seems to get crazy amounts of priority and is safe. So I really couldn't find something to try and counter it knowing he was just spamming it to confirm into a combo. I basically try to block it, and attempt pinning him down with quick jabs as Steve, and toss in throws. It would win me around here and there when we fought, but the rest of time I was still eating knee into combo. :(

Really not able to do Steve's 10 hit combo's they give you in the practice mode. The part in brackets in there confuses me. I messed around with Dragunov as well, and his combos are much easier, but I don't feel like I can be as in your face as Steve Fox.

Anyone got some suggestions on what I should be doing to level up my game with Steve and Tekken as general? I've watched some of Level Up your game or whatever it is that RIP and a few do a while ago. I'm coming from SF4, SF3, and UMvC3 as my fighting games I feel I have knowledge and some skill in, so the transition is a bit jarring and overwhelming for me.

I think the thing that is really getting me is that a lot of moves in Tekken that look like they hit low, will actually need to be blocked high, and with so many moves across so many character it feels like just about anything can open me up easily.

So I bought T6 over christmas vacation, and dipped some hours into it. What stinks is my old save file was on my old 360 that was pre slim, so I'd have to redo all the crappy third person action game mode to rack up cash to buy my Steve Fox stuff to wear. Kinda ugh about it.

Played several games online, and the matchmaking isn't terrible, but isn't great. The games I had weren't laggy, but I played the same guy at least 10 times in a row and each time he would come out the winner. This didn't bother me since I was just trying to learn, but later on I had a guy who was essentially just as crappy as I was, but he found a combo with King that starts with a really quick knee that seems to get crazy amounts of priority and is safe. So I really couldn't find something to try and counter it knowing he was just spamming it to confirm into a combo. I basically try to block it, and attempt pinning him down with quick jabs as Steve, and toss in throws. It would win me around here and there when we fought, but the rest of time I was still eating knee into combo. :(

Really not able to do Steve's 10 hit combo's they give you in the practice mode. The part in brackets in there confuses me. I messed around with Dragunov as well, and his combos are much easier, but I don't feel like I can be as in your face as Steve Fox.

Anyone got some suggestions on what I should be doing to level up my game with Steve and Tekken as general? I've watched some of Level Up your game or whatever it is that RIP and a few do a while ago. I'm coming from SF4, SF3, and UMvC3 as my fighting games I feel I have knowledge and some skill in, so the transition is a bit jarring and overwhelming for me.

I think the thing that is really getting me is that a lot of moves in Tekken that look like they hit low, will actually need to be blocked high, and with so many moves across so many character it feels like just about anything can open me up easily.

Don't do the 10 hitters, they are useless.

In 3D fighters, you'll want to be blocking mostly using back and switching to down-back when anticipating lows. Reverse of how it is with 2d fighters. Luckily, most lows that give a juggle are punishable with launchers. Lows are mostly used for poking.

I don't know shit about Steve, but this should give you a good idea of what moves you should be using with him.
Steve's top 10 moves

Tekken really isn't as match-up dependent (or hard really) as SF4 unless at really high levels. It's really about learning your character thoroughly(what moves are safe and what moves punishable) first, then going into what the other characters have. Hell, I haven't played for years and I can still beat scrubs.

Check around TZ's Steve forum for topics to read up on.

Might be a decent idea to fully watch the LUYG video too.

GrayFoxPL

I must say Steve is not good character for beginners. I started him last month and he's the character that took me the longest to feel confident with. He's mad awesome, but hard. He's all around canceling stances in just the first frames so someone who doesn't play him can't even notice you just canceled string into flicker into forward ducking.
Don't play ranked matches until you'll get all ins and outs of character, "player match" is kinda "online training grounds" where only retards sent hate msgs(but it happens). On PSN ranked there are guys with 8000+fights, shit gets real.

Some pointers for Steve:
Learn and memorize all his stances and transitions.

Flicker -b3+4
Transitions:
f2,1~B
1,2,1~B
b1~B
2,1~B
Edit:
df+1~2~1+B

Peak-a-booo -f3+4
Transitions:
1,2,1~F
2,1~F
3+4(Albatros)~F
(from sways)
3,2~F
4,1~F

Albatros -3+4

sways:
back -b+3_4
left- 3
right- 4
ducking f+3_4
deep ducking hold F+ 3 or 4
Fast transition
Flicker~F+3_4

It's only stances and transitions, there are like 40 moves from those stances you gotta learn.
For online play start the round in 3 ways.
4,1,2 -it's a sway, bar and an uppercut that launches on ch. It will avoid hop kicks or that kings knee that gave you trouble.

df+1+2 - Stave's bread and butter punisher, hella fast.

b+3+4 Stave safely backsteps into flicker then do 1,d1. Do the combo after Steve backsteps far enough, so he can avoid first attack and score ch. In the midle of the fight cancel flicker as soon as possible.

Well, that's just a drop in the sea (literally) for Steve. You need to learn juggles and wall caries. One more tiny tip, 1,2,1 into peak-a-boo into Ten Count(1+2 throw), trust me - best shit ever, especially online. 1,2,1 into peak-a-boo stance it's base of my play style, that stance has ton of useful moves and combos.

10string?
It's df1~2~1~f+1+2
It's two quick cancels. First Steve cancels 2 into 1, then that 1 into f+1+2. Looks funny, but it's not hard.

Don't do the 10 hitters, they are useless.

Not Online. There is about 100 of ten strings and it's hard to memorize them all for defending. You're bound to eventually eat one of them.

But yeah, they're kinda lame to abuse so I don't use them, though they have weird/interesting properties in juggles.

Sayah

I haven't really ever played with Steve so I can't offer you much advice with him. With gameplay in general, though, movement, sidestepping, blocking, and actions while on ground are all quite important. Games like MvC3, I think, are easier to get into but with Tekken, you're playing in a third dimension so there's a lot more going on that a newcomer might not understand. I can honestly say it took me awhile to get into Tekken 6 and explore its depth when I first started it. The primary mistake I always made was rolling back after every time I got juggled. This will only lead to more juggling, lol. You really need to know what move to use while on ground and sort of try to expect what your opponent will do.

If it helps, you can also go into controller settings and try to assign commands to the shoulder buttons/triggers of your controller. It makes it easier for doing your own juggles with your character. For example, instead of simultaneously pressing two buttons to do a grab move, you could assign that command to a shoulder button instead so you are only pressing one button instead. However, do know that Tag 2 is coming out and it will require use of the shoulder buttons for the tag functions so don't rely too much on it.

Once you really get into the system mechanics, you will find the game quite addictive because the potential for creativity is great. And your matches will feel like a psychological battlefield because it's all about the mind games.

Also don't worry too much about 10-hit combos. They're not that essential. I haven't learned any with any of my characters either. And the sample combos offered at the end of each characters command list are just that......samples. You sort of should experiment on your own and see if you can extend combos further and do more damage. See which launchers work best for you and which moves are good for connecting with those launchers.

AAK

What's up zlatko! First of all, the king player was either doing u/f+4 which juggles you into the air, or he was doing f,n,d,d/f+4 which is safe but has to be CH to get a potential combo which even then you can escape with a tech roll since it's a flop stun, (see the stun section in the OP if you're unsure about that). And the u/f+4 is definitely unsafe, it's -12 and you can definitely punish it with Steve's 1,1,2 or even better 2,1 which you can follow up with either the flicker stance or peakaboo stance. But the thing is, you're also playing against lag so it makes punishment a lot harder than it should.

Aside from that, I'm not a Steve player by any means but for levelling up your game for Tekken, first thing is DEFINITELY... movement. Have a look at these 2 videos from Aris for now, which has very ghetto editing but his explanation does a good job of giving it's importance and basic execution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-_trL1pZeo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwTz9FOwxQ

But for Steve specifically, he's an extremely technical character. One thing I guess you could look into since it does give me a lot of trouble against my bud who mains steve is his stance transitions. They went over it for a little in the LYUG episode, the stance section really helps but specifically where they talk about the transitions which my friend can really use effectively to fool me and punish me. So knowing what you can do post transition will really come in handy... but it IS challenging to master. Combine that with superior movement and you can really become a threat. And you can truly become a master scrub killer with these tactics alone.

Second thing, which I covered in relatively high detail in the OP, is wakeup and okizeme in Tekken. Tekken is by far has the most complicated system for wakeup and ground game than any other fighter in the market by several magnitudes and you HAVE to do it very intelligently or you will be punished otherwise. Check that section in the OP and let me know if you have any specific questions regarding it.

There are a bunch of other moves that are mostly covered in the LYUG episode but you just have to classify them depending on the situation like moves to do to track your opponent (d/f+2), or moves to do when you are at a certain length such as low pokes for pressure (PAB d+1 or d/b+3,2), moves that you can do on reaction to a distanced opponent trying to gain ground on you (f,f+2) etc. It's all about practice my friend.

EDIT: GrayFox & Sayah have awesome replies as well ;)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

There already are guest characters...Infamous' Cole for the Vita version and the Dokodemo Issho cats for the Sony versions.

So I don't see how Kratos would be any worse!

AAK

IIRC at EVO, Harada asked during the Namco panel about the inclusion of guest characters to the crowd and everyone unanimously booed at the mention.

So I wouldn't count on them appearing for TxSF.

Personally... I just want Kunimitsu back!

GrayFoxPL

I'm surprised Kunimitsu isn't in TTT2.

Harada keeps repeating she was the least played character in Tekken 2 and Tag1...According to the ancient character usage data from the arcades, lol. Oh Harada, just make her cool as fuck and then check popularity.

Sayah

IIRC at EVO, Harada asked during the Namco panel about the inclusion of guest characters to the crowd and everyone unanimously booed at the mention.

So I wouldn't count on them appearing for TxSF.

Personally... I just want Kunimitsu back!

I want guest characters. It might be the only chance for Tekken to actually have them. And I'm almost certain Kunimitsu will be appearing in the console release for Tag 2. Harada is well aware of people requesting her return.

Anyway, the batch of latest tweets for the past few days have been quite uninformative. I keep checking every day for even the slightest bit of new information. So desperate. lol

I want guest characters. It might be the only chance for Tekken to actually have them. And I'm almost certain Kunimitsu will be appearing in the console release for Tag 2. Harada is well aware of people requesting her return.

Anyway, the batch of latest tweets for the past few days have been quite uninformative. I keep checking every day for even the slightest bit of new information. So desperate. lol

Nathan Drake for TxSF man! :D

Wonder If they're going to follow SC5 and trim off some characters off T6's roster to shove the rest of the Street Fighters guys in, although I wouldn't mind keeping everyone from T6 and just dumping every SF character they can find into the engine.

Checking the latest batch? Just follow the guy on Twitter and use a notification or updater program to keep you around. (Tweetdeck or something)

Well with those said, tekkenbbs updated the TTT2 tier list to....

S - lars, kaz, hei, dj
A - bob, jc, leo, marduk, hwoarang, ak, bryan, drag
B - bruce, lili, paul, lei, lee, zaf, jinpachi
C - law, yoshi, nina, christie, jin, jack6, wang, asuka, feng, anna, jun, steve, king, ganryu, miguel, eddy
D - ogre, ling, raven, baek, roger, alisa, bears

Hwoarang still S+ If he keeps the unblock able but a patch is soon to drop on 1/17 so we can probably rule that out.

Sayah

Nathan Drake for TxSF man! :D

Wonder If they're going to follow SC5 and trim off some characters off T6's roster to shove the rest of the Street Fighters guys in, although I wouldn't mind keeping everyone from T6 and just dumping every SF character they can find into the engine.

Checking the latest batch? Just follow the guy on Twitter and use a notification or updater program to keep you around. (Tweetdeck or something)

Well with those said, tekkenbbs updated the TTT2 tier list to....

Hwoarang still S+ If he keeps the unblock able but a patch is soon to drop on 1/17 so we can probably rule that out.
Yeesssssss. Nathan Drake. It's possible.
And I doubt they'll keep the full T6 roster for TKXSF. That would also mean adding in 40 SF characters to even out each side.
Edit: Oh, and thanks for the twitter info. I don't use twitter too heavily. Usually just look at tweet history for Harada-san and Michael Murray.

AAK

Well, there was this:

https://twitter.com/#!/Harada_TEKKEN/status/158871969893322752

I'm considering now RT @IXIbodyOFsinIXI is TEKKEN X STREET FIGHTER going to be on ps vita?

Then this:

https://twitter.com/#!/Harada_TEKKEN/status/158874698749448192

I'm planning "TKxSF Roster vote" on TEKKEN Facebook. Plz wait RT@2_cody3 Please Put Both of Karin And Poison For TxSF! They are Too Populer

And then:

https://twitter.com/#!/Harada_TEKKEN/status/158931683024961536

Considering another system(Gauge) for SF characters. It's simple but cool RT @Orzislaw Will u add Cross Gauge (like in SF or SCV) in TKxSF?

:p

Sigh, I think the dream is over. He just seems too busy with TxSF to add anything extra to the console version of TTT2. Farewell Kunimitsu, but I'm still going to main you TTTHD!

As for the "Vote for TxSF Roster"... I'd rather there be a "Vote who you DON't want in the TxSF roster" And I'll fill it with every SF2T character :D I want the game to not have any Ryu, Ken, Chun, Dictator, Boxer, Sagat, etc. All characters that were exclusive to 3rd Strike and EX/Alpha series!

.... but I know that's never going to happen. LOL

GrayFoxPL

Roster vote?

Oh God. Alisa, Lili, Akuma in top 3 given. What a waste of character space :p.

I'm gonna vote Steve Lee, and Alex for shits.

Sayah

nathan drake will just be a miguel skin in the end

They can definitely make him work. It's not like RPG's and shotguns are anything new to Tekken, however useless they may be. :p
But yeah, after Snake worked out in Smash Bros., I have full faith.

Well, there was this:

https://twitter.com/#!/Harada_TEKKEN/status/158871969893322752

Then this:

https://twitter.com/#!/Harada_TEKKEN/status/158874698749448192

And then:

https://twitter.com/#!/Harada_TEKKEN/status/158931683024961536

:p

Sigh, I think the dream is over. He just seems too busy with TxSF to add anything extra to the console version of TTT2. Farewell Kunimitsu, but I'm still going to main you TTTHD!

As for the "Vote for TxSF Roster"... I'd rather there be a "Vote who you DON't want in the TxSF roster" And I'll fill it with every SF2T character :D I want the game to not have any Ryu, Ken, Chun, Dictator, Boxer, Sagat, etc. All characters that were exclusive to 3rd Strike and EX/Alpha series!

.... but I know that's never going to happen. LOL

YES! Right after I complain, lol.
And don't forget THIS!!! I expect Kunimitsu to be in the console version. And I suppose we'll get more info on console exclusive features at E3. Tekken is probably Namco's current highest selling franchise and we know the Tekken team is divided and working on different projects (Tekken Wii U, TKXSF, TTT2).

As far as roster, I definitely want to kick out Bob.

AAK

YES! Right after I complain, lol.
And don't forget THIS!!! I expect Kunimitsu to be in the console version. And I suppose we'll get more info on console exclusive features at E3. Tekken is probably Namco's current highest selling franchise and we know the Tekken team is divided and working on different projects (Tekken Wii U, TKXSF, TTT2).

To me, "content and feature rich" means things like Costumes, Artwork, Scenario Tag Campaign, Practice Mode, etc. But I'd love to be proven wrong :)

As for Bob, it's a pity he plays like a simple character while the persona he's based off of is anything but!

touch-and-go-2.jpg

Sammo Hung fyi

In other news:

EWGF Stream from last week is uploaded!

2:29:20 - 2:32:40 - Debate b/w Aris vs Tasty Steve about videogames. Absolutely golden.

GrayFoxPL

They can definitely make him work. It's not like RPG's and shotguns are anything new to Tekken, however useless they may be. :p
But yeah, after Snake worked out in Smash Bros., I have full faith.

But they are just joke item moves. Not something you ever use in serious fight unless you have huge lead and want to troll the opponent. I think Drake would be enough with his brawler grappler neck snapping style, no?

Maybe I'm envisioning TxSF all wrong but I see it as bringing the SF characters to Tekken in more serious style and realistic looks.

I imagine TxSF "attract mode/intro" as camera swooping around Ryu and Jin standing in an open field during a thunderstorm, looking at each other focused, readying for a battle. Lightning strikes.

But maybe I see it wrong. It could be a crazy affair like MVC3.
/shrugs

Sayah

But they are just joke item moves. Not something you ever use in serious fight unless you have huge lead and want to troll the opponent. I think Drake would be enough with his brawler grappler neck snapping style, no?

Maybe I'm envisioning TxSF all wrong but I see it as bringing the SF characters to Tekken in more serious style and realistic looks.

I imagine TxSF "attract mode/intro" as camera swooping around Ryu and Jin standing in an open field during a thunderstorm, looking at each other focused, readying for a battle. Lightning strikes.

But maybe I see it wrong. It could be a crazy affair like MVC3.
/shrugs

I don't think the projectiles in TKXSF are going to be as useless as the items we have in T6. Most SF characters are going to require appropriate and effective use of projectiles after all. And yeah, I do envision the game as taking on a more realistic approach. The concept art we have for Ryu and Chun-Li is making that apparent as well.

Has any 3D fighter ever actually have effective use of projectiles? I mean seeing a fireball moving across the screen with 3D effects is going to be quite amazing. So yah, projectiles + meter + photorealistic SF characters + Tekken gameplay = shutupandtakemyrupees.jpg
To me, "content and feature rich" means things like Costumes, Artwork, Scenario Tag Campaign, Practice Mode, etc. But I'd love to be proven wrong :)

As for Bob, it's a pity he plays like a simple character while the persona he's based off of is anything but!

Sammo Hung fyi

In other news:

EWGF Stream from last week is uploaded!

2:29:20 - 2:32:40 - Debate b/w Aris vs Tasty Steve about videogames. Absolutely golden.

I guess I'll try not to get my hopes too high. :/
But we do need Kunimitsu, Michelle, Human Ogre, and Unknown as playable characters.
And there's no link for that stream.

GrayFoxPL

I don't think the projectiles in TKXSF are going to be as useless as the items we have in T6. Most SF characters are going to require appropriate and effective use of projectiles after all. And yeah, I do envision the game as taking on a more realistic approach. The concept art we have for Ryu and Chun-Li is making that apparent as well.

Has any 3D fighter ever actually have effective use of projectiles? I mean seeing a fireball moving across the screen with 3D effects is going to be quite amazing. So yah, projectiles + meter + photorealistic SF characters + Tekken gameplay = shutupandtakemyrupees.jpg

I guess I'll try not to get my hopes too high. :/
But we do need Kunimitsu, Michelle, Human Ogre, and Unknown as playable characters.
And there's no link for that stream.

I didn't mean projectiles per se like hadouken, just Drake having Rpgs, grenades and all weapons.

Projectiles never worked well in 3d fighters, but with meter that'll undo spamming maybe it'll work. If Harada menages to do it, he'll be the first. Though I'm seeing homing hadoukens if the game has evasive 3d movement like Tekken.

Sayah

I didn't mean projectiles per se like hadouken, just Drake having Rpgs, grenades and all weapons.

Projectiles never worked well in 3d fighters, but with meter that'll undo spamming maybe it'll work. If Harada menages to do it, he'll be the first. Though I'm seeing homing hadoukens if the game has evasive 3d movement like Tekken.

Hmm........not sure how they would make it all work but it does seem possible if they can find a way to make projectiles seem efficient in a 3D environment. Something like a grenade or a M32-Hammer attack could probably be positioned in a way to have it move across the stage at the same speed as say, a hadouken and work in similar fashion. This is all mere speculation, of course. Nathan Drake is probably far from being included anyway.

If they are successful in transitioning projectiles and meter, they may very well end up revolutionizing the 3D fighter genre.

GrayFoxPL

If they are successful in transitioning projectiles and meter, they may very well end up revolutionizing the 3D fighter genre.

True, true. I could see from Harada tweets that he had more then few broken nights and sake bottles(Get ready for the next bottle!) from figuring out this game. He seems much more optimistic now, maybe he/his team nailed it.

Maybe projectiles will be more like AOE attacks in TKxSF?

Maybe Ryu puts his fists out for the fireball and there is a energy sphere around him with a hitbox (the fireball forming or something). If you have happen to be across the screen, it will turn into a normal SF fireball. Or maybe Sim's fireball will be like Yoshi's or Nina's breathe moves.

Will be interesting what they come up with.

Top Bottom