• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT| of Tag Assaulting the Devil, Ogres, Wild Animals & MILFs (Bitcap Warning)

I've been a fan of the series since Tekken 2 but I've always been a very casual player...mostly a button masher playing arcade and ghost matches. I want to up my game. :) Going to apologize in advance for what's going to be a slew of stupid beginner questions coming eventually...and just want to say hey to Tekken GAF :D

Thanks for the OT, it's remarkably helpful.

GrayFoxPL

I wouldn't recommend Baek because of his stance(...)
Nah, it's very basic stance, only harder part is doing continuous halberd 3+4. Good character to learn mixups. Hwoarang with his 4 stances this isn't.

I've been a fan of the series since Tekken 2 but I've always been a very casual player...mostly a button masher playing arcade and ghost matches. I want to up my game. :) Going to apologize in advance for what's going to be a slew of stupid beginner questions coming eventually...and just want to say hey to Tekken GAF :D

Thanks for the OT, it's remarkably helpful.

Welcome in our little Gaf Tekken place.

For someone willing to learn, there's no stupid questions, so shoot.

Going to apologize in advance for what's going to be a slew of stupid beginner questions coming eventually...and just want to say hey to Tekken GAF :D

First and foremost, If anything sounds goofy and weird (eg jailing) read this

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/legend.php

and this

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=92806

Secondly, yes most T6 information passes on to Tekken Tag 2. Just gotta keep up with any changes to them.

Now shoot.

Edit: Oh wow the thread got moved? We COMMUNITY NOW.

You know the one thing I hate about the authentic sky track from T4? No drums! During gameplay when you won a round some awesome drum beats played but its missing from the official track. I always wondered why they omitted it especially since the gym parking lot track kept its guitar riff from when you won a round. Don't forget Embu too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ROzh8pSEAo&feature=related

And I'm gonna be rocking this so hard when Tag 2 drops.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/aznboysrfr/item add 01-2012/jun1.jpg
I just hope I'll have the option to remove the wristbands and make her barefoot <3

AAK

Tasty Steve and Aris make the last 2 episodes of Bogus Journeys memorable ones.

Some serious God tier trolling at work there.

Damn, that was too good. Gonna miss this show :(

Nah, it's very basic stance, only harder part is doing continuous halberd 3+4. Good character to learn mixups. Hwoarang with his 4 stances this isn't.

Even though it's one stance, I still feel there there's a lot of cancelling needed to be good with that character. Cancelling almost all of his left kicks with a ~f into LFS does in itself need a lot of practice and dexterity IMO. But I haven't nearly done enough with that character to be able to give a definitive answer whether he's easy or not. IMO,

Easiest --> Hardest

Lili>>>>>>>>>>Jack/Paul/Bob>>Asuka/Feng/Leo/Drag>>>>Rest of the Cast

As for the new customs, glad to see Namco still at it considering how close Tekken3DS is but I'm liking the more casual outfits they're adding to the characters... it looks so nice and classy:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/aznboysrfr/item add 01-2012/nina5.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/aznboysrfr/item add 01-2012/jin3.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/aznboysrfr/item add 01-2012/jun3.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/aznboysrfr/item add 01-2012/law5.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/aznboysrfr/item add 01-2012/leo5.jpg

GrayFoxPL

Seems it's a matter of style. Like eg. you put Leo there. I think he's much harder to play then Beak, because of memorization of his style swap loops and qcf iWS in juggles. Beak cancels I just do instinctively because it's just holding 3~F.

That's the hard part of recommending "easy character", best to try them all. No one knows who will fit you, right?

AAK

DAMN! I think this GIF is appropriate:

dDcWi7pZE6dLs.gif

EDIT: Finally added the allegiance chart stuff into the OP.

Sayah

TTT2 - Intro Massive Mix
TTT2 - Aim to Win/Character Select
TTT2 - Wayang Kulit
TTT2 - Arena Mix
TTT2 - After School Mix
TTT2 - Snow Castle Remix
TTT2 - What You Will See
TTT2 - Moonlit Wilderness Mix
TTT2 - Fontana di Trevi
TTT2 Hall of Judgement
TTT2 - Sunny - Candor Canyon
TTT2 - Historic Town Square
TTT2 - Night Falls-Staff Roll
T6 - Electric Fountain
T6 - Fallen Colony
T6 - Anger of the Earth
T6 - Meadow Hill
T5DR - Amnesia
T5DR Twist and Scream
T5DR - Stalking Wolves
T5DR - Ground Zero Funk
T5 - Intro - Sparking
T5 - Moonlit Wilderness
T5 - Waterfall
T5 - Dragon's Nest/Those Who Go to Heaven
T5 - Secret Garden/Massive Stunner
T5 - The Finalizer
T5 - Antares
T5 - Streets
T4 - A Fist for a Fist (intro)
T4 - Jet (1st Character select)
T4 - Kitsch (Beach Theme)
T4 - Touch and Go (Airport Theme)
T4 - Nothingness (Continue)
T4 - The Inner Shrine
T4 - Uninhabited
T4 - Bit Crusher
T4 - Authentic Sky
T4 - Parking Area
TTT - INTRO Theme
TTT - School
TTT - Xiaoyu
TTT - Eddy
TTT - Nina
TTT - Paul
TTT - King
TTT Console Ogre
TTT - Yoshimitsu
TTT - Hwoarang
TTT - Law
TTT Arcade School
TTT Arcade Yoshimitsu
TTT Arcade Heihachi
TTT Arcade Staff Roll
T3 Intro Music
T3 - Law stage
T3 - Nina stage
T3 - Hwoarang
T3 - Jin Kazama
T3 - Lei Arrange
T3 - Paul Arrange
T3 - Anna
T3 - Bryan
T3 Arcade Hidden Characters
T3 - Embu
T2 - Nina Arrange
T2 Console Jack2
T2 - Anna Arrange
T2 - Ganryu Arrange
T2 - Michelle Arrange
T2 - Heihachi Arrange
T2 - Kazuya Arcade
T2 - Kazuya Arrange
T2 - Devil
T2 - Lee
T1 - King George Island Theme
T1 - Monument Valley Theme

I think I got everything. Thanks to all. :)

Sayah

I also don't think this topic should be in community. It's basically the official thread for many Tekken games. With Tekken 3D coming out very soon, this should remain in the gaming section.

Are various games from the same franchise allowed to have one OT here? I don't think there is any other franchise in the gaming industry that has multiple games being developed for it at the same time for multiple consoles. None except Resident Evil come to mind at least.

GrayFoxPL

I also don't think this topic should be in community. It's basically the official thread for many Tekken games. With Tekken 3D coming out very soon, this should remain in the gaming section.

Are various games from the same franchise allowed to have one OT here? I don't think there is any other franchise in the gaming industry that has multiple games being developed for it at the same time for multiple consoles. None except Resident Evil come to mind at least.

Tbh lots of topics had been thrown lately into community bin where they will rot and die.

You know it's true.

Nice list!

MightyKAC

Wouldn't we make a new |OT| for Tekken 3DS anyway since it's new threads for new news and stuff?

Edit: Hey Sayah, no love for TTT2 Sunny - Condor Canyon?

AAK

I sorta agree about the OT being consistent for all Tekken games... the information aside from the Tag section transfers basically everywhere. And I can basically add the extra features within the 3DS version in the OP. But oh well, Mod's choice.

In other news:

Harada said:
We've a new idea RT@Normalaatsra Harada, will the TTT2 endings for the console go the same way as TTT's style of using the staff roll song?

https://twitter.com/#!/Harada_TEKKEN/status/163658944533905409

Interesting....

Sullichin

Holy shit, saw Tekken hybrid at gamestop, can't believe they want $40 for that. I want Tekken Tag Tournament HD, but why isn't it on PSN? Terrible value.

Sayah

I sorta agree about the OT being consistent for all Tekken games... the information aside from the Tag section transfers basically everywhere. And I can basically add the extra features within the 3DS version in the OP. But oh well, Mod's choice.

In other news:

https://twitter.com/#!/Harada_TEKKEN/status/163658944533905409

Interesting....
Tekken 3D is coming out in about 2 weeks. Is the move to community sort of final?
Wouldn't we make a new |OT| for Tekken 3DS anyway since it's new threads for new news and stuff?

Edit: Hey Sayah, no love for TTT2 Sunny - Condor Canyon?

Just added Candor Canyon along with Historic Town Square. :)
Tbh lots of topics had been thrown lately into community bin where they will rot and die.

You know it's true.

Nice list!

They must be trying to get the viewership up for the community section.

What's the ratio of stick to pad users here?

I use a stick for every other fighting game, but in the years of been playing Tekken, I've never really been able to tap the stick fast enough to do BDC or decent wavedashing. I have to use a pad.

And it's kind of frustrating, because smashing joystick buttons is one of my favorite things to do.

AAK

Tekken is the one franchise where there really is no advantage of playing stick over pad. I moved from pad to stick just because I pussied out and my thumb couldn't handle the friction with the pad while trying to wavedash and stuff. It really is so much easier to do things with pad compared to stick. The top Tekken players in the US all use pad: GM, Kor, FAB. And even for the stance heavy characters, players thrive on pad with them as well, examples:

The Exalted using Lei:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rd0WMqag_c

Starscream using Hwoarang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtS7EsmQz2w

And even in the realm of fighters in general... Pad is probably the future. This video made me completely certain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPsxYZ0XHGk

As far as the OT thing goes, I think I'm gonna request the mods to bring it back for T3DS. We'll see what happens.

MightyKAC

Living in Japan means I've had to pick up a stick in order to remain competitive. When I first got here I was a pad player which means when I went to the arcade I was completely out of my element and getting owned left and right because of small execution errors.

Yeah.

Tekken is full of motions that need a tap~neutral technique, which is so much easier on pad.

I'm actually in the process of building a cheap hitbox style, um, box to use with tekken. In theory, it should allow me to have fun mashing buttons while also making motions easier. School gets in the way of that build, but I'll let you guys know when I finish it.

Does anyone have any experience with Tekken on hitbox/keyboard?

Tekken is the one franchise where there really is no advantage of playing stick over pad. I moved from pad to stick just because I pussied out and my thumb couldn't handle the friction with the pad while trying to wavedash and stuff. It really is so much easier to do things with pad compared to stick. The top Tekken players in the US all use pad: GM, Kor, FAB. And even for the stance heavy characters, players thrive on pad with them as well, examples:

I've found that west coast players use stick more often (Aris, Suiken, Bronson did), but I think it's because of the amount of arcades out there, like in Japan. There was some video Aris released comparing sticks to pads. His ultimate decision was that pad was easier, but if you want to compete at the top in Japan or Korea, then you have to use stick.

I don't think I'm ever going out of the country to play Tekken, but that would be a valid concern for someone like him.

Living in Japan means I've had to pick up a stick in order to remain competitive. When I first got here I was a pad player which means when I went to the arcade I was completely out of my element and getting owned left and right because of small execution errors.

One things US Tekken cabs did right is the PS2 pad ports. So nice.

AAK

Does anyone have any experience with Tekken on hitbox/keyboard?

Actually, Aris did try it, and he was flabbergasted at how easy it was to do things. So many motions became 10 times easier like an instant shining wizard and doing other things like Kazuya's d/f+2 CH into EWGF or Bryan's taunt jet upper. He thought that it made things too easy to the fact that it's the equivalent of a boxer putting extra weights in his gloves during a professional fight. That's why he decided to use against since it destroys the competitive integrity of tournaments.

I personally don't share that opinion with him since in the end, it doesn't do the motions for you, it's just a different type of input, but he's entitled to his views. I don't think I'll go for a hitbox simply because of fear of getting arthritic hands from pushing the buttons so much.

But yeah, in the end, it should work out... and most of all it's all a matter of preference.

I've found that west coast players use stick more often (Aris, Suiken, Bronson did), but I think it's because of the amount of arcades out there, like in Japan. There was some video Aris released comparing sticks to pads. His ultimate decision was that pad was easier, but if you want to compete at the top in Japan or Korea, then you have to use stick.

I don't think I'm ever going out of the country to play Tekken, but that would be a valid concern for someone like him.

I think what he meant by competing was the fact that you have to travel to Korea or Japan and play against them to be the best and have the fiercest competition. And since they play on arcades, you have to have the skills you know on that exact medium.

But yeah, it's truly a shame Namco dropped the PS2 pad inputs... I have no idea what their reasoning was for it.

DAMN @ American Heihachi...

CSX

Speaking of sticks, i played some old T5 machine at my college. I couldnt hit diagonals, backdash, ff , and wavedash.

How you people do it man D:

AAK

I couldn't do anything either when I first tried it. In the end, I just took things slow. When I first got the stick I was predominantly a Raven player. With that I could get enough practice with his Vampire Knee, qcf mixups, undertaker, etc. on both 1P and 2P sides that got me used to it.

And some thing I watched today:

Starts Here, Part 2, Part 3, still waiting on Part 4

this is an AWESOME death match between what I believe is Sodam (Xiaoyu/Paul) vs some Lars/Kazuya player. Sodam is the premier Xiaoyu player in Korea specializing completely on a brutal oki and wakeup game against his opponent. This match has so many insane setups and moments where you can just feel his prowl. The Lars/Kaz player is no slouch either with execution that Rivals even JDCR and displays some frightening prowess himself. It's a back and forth match that was just thrilling to watch and shows so much what I love about Tekken's system mechanics.

This guy uses Paul's JF demolition man during a tag assault which completely whiff's on purpose to hide the unblockable tech trap Ling Xiaoyu is setting up for when Lars techs. Just watch the entire round from 10:39 to 11:46. He does a similar setup later on in the death match and it amazes me how he uses a completely interface design decision by Namco and use it for strategy midgame. Wow!

Speaking of sticks, i played some old T5 machine at my college. I couldnt hit diagonals, backdash, ff , and wavedash.

How you people do it man D:

Might not be the stick's faul. I mean, how well-maintained is the arcade? Could be a beat-up panel.

I'm actually in the process of building a cheap hitbox style, um, box to use with tekken. In theory, it should allow me to have fun mashing buttons while also making motions easier. School gets in the way of that build, but I'll let you guys know when I finish it.

HU8aR.jpg

O3jK3.jpg

It uses as PS1 pad, and I don't think I'll be investing in a converter for it, so I can only really test it in Tekken 5.

BDC is definitely much easier. I'll have to get the timing down better, but wavedashing seems easier as well.

I'll have to test some other stuff later this weekend. I've never really had a problem with iSW. I'll try Kaz d/f+2~EWGF. Maybe see if I can do D,df,d,df motions quicker as well.

Overall, the thing makes me feel like a robot. And it's not very fun.

AAK

Yeah, MODS got back to me, Tekken 3DS will need its own thread unfortunately. I'm pretty occupied so I won't be able to make the T3DS OT as of now. Sorry :(

But to whoever is, you're free to use info from this OP for that thread if you wish :)

EDIT: AND just found out that for TTT2 Console release, I'll have to make a new thread in the gaming forum. So for now, this will pretty much be the Tekken home.

Sayah

Well, damn, lol. Somebody should create it. I've made a banner with my novice skills if that helps.
I also recommend Tekken 3DS |OT| Ooooooohh, EXCELLENT!!! as the title.

Untitled-12456-1.jpg

alazz

The second one looks excellent! When's the OT go up? It's only a week away but it seems like there's been no mention of it anywhere in the media. Kind of a shame.

I'll be hanging around here when it comes stateside. Gotta learn the ways again. I haven't played a Tekken since a bit of 4 but I'm really looking forward to playing 3D Prime. I hope it has pretty good online because I wholly except to get my ass kicked and enjoy it!

Question regarding the series: do they still have the single-player beat 'em up mode? I remember loving it in 3.

Sayah

The second one looks excellent! When's the OT go up? It's only a week away but it seems like there's been no mention of it anywhere in the media. Kind of a shame.

I'll be hanging around here when it comes stateside. Gotta learn the ways again. I haven't played a Tekken since a bit of 4 but I'm really looking forward to playing 3D Prime. I hope it has pretty good online because I wholly except to get my ass kicked and enjoy it!

Question regarding the series: do they still have the single-player beat 'em up mode? I remember loving it in 3.

I'm not even sure if there will be an OT. Somebody has to volunteer to do it. I would if I had the skills and the time. :/
The series has evolved a lot since T4, though. Hope you enjoy the game.

And I don't think the 3DS version will have a force mode.

Top Bottom