• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Theonik

Suggestions there aren't good TVs for £600 is complete rubbish. Bear in mind you've come into the Digital Foundry thread for TVs, nitpicks, strengths/weaknesses will all be magnified and/or blown out of proportion.
I stand by that statement. If he's that picky about what he wants. (or has any standard when it comes to PQ) and especially if he wants HDR, the lowest end set to even consider is the Samsung 49KS7000, but really one should really start looking at something like the Sony 55XD93 and higher. The year of affordable HDR this is not. Wait for 2017 sets to start hitting. Maybe.

Well I need a TV as I've just moved into my own place, and that is pretty much my budget, so really I just want the best gaming TV I can get for £600 or less
Don't expect good HDR at that price. If you want a set at that price you will have to accept major deficiencies of some kind. I'd recommend waiting it out and saving some more money for a better set.

Theonik

FYI, not much of note comes from these events. Actual TV announcements usually happen on the show floor and all information or any substance comes from floor interviews with reps, press releases and impressions.

FYI, not much of note comes from these events. Actual TV announcements usually happen on the show floor and all information or any substance comes from floor interviews with reps, press releases and impressions.

Hey guys, if my thought process behind this is that when LG announces new, incredible OLED tech at CES 2017, it's not so much that is what I want, but rather it brings hope that their older OLED line (which is still great) might start dropping in price?

Anyone else with this mindset?

Was hoping to get plenty of this after the press conferences.

MrJames

Embargos are lifted so specs, articles already written can be posted, etc.

oni-link

Suggestions there aren't good TVs for £600 is complete rubbish. Bear in mind you've come into the Digital Foundry thread for TVs, nitpicks, strengths/weaknesses will all be magnified and/or blown out of proportion.

Yeah but therein is my problem, no one seems to be able to recommend one without someone else saying it's crap

Theonik

Hey guys, if my thought process behind this is that when LG announces new, incredible OLED tech at CES 2017, it's not so much that is what I want, but rather it brings hope that their older OLED line (which is still great) might start dropping in price?

Anyone else with this mindset?
LG sets are already getting firesales. I'd look for deals even now there's always a cheap set somewhere if you look.

Embargos are lifted so specs, articles already written can be posted, etc.
Quite rare it works this way in CES. Info tends to be staggered in press releases over the event. Last year's Sony conference did give us this gem though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQkkoylHrss

Yeah but therein is my problem, no one seems to be able to recommend one without someone else saying it's crap
For this amount of money it is inevitable. This is something you will have to live with I'm afraid. But perhaps there is things you are more happy to let go of.
If you really are after HDR, you might be happy with a Samsung 49KS7000 but that will set you back by 800 quid or so.

The Beard

LG sets are already getting firesales. I'd look for deals even now there's always a cheap set somewhere if you look.

Quite rare it works this way in CES. Info tends to be staggered in press releases over the event. Last year's Sony conference did give us this gem though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQkkoylHrss

For this amount of money it is inevitable. This is something you will have to live with I'm afraid. But perhaps there is things you are more happy to let go of.
If you really are after HDR, you might be happy with a Samsung 49KS7000 but that will set you back by 800 quid or so.

Am I imagining things or did 2016 LG OLED's recently go back up in price? I could've sworn the B6 65" was going for $3K for a while and now it's $4K.

Those new LG sets look good, wonder how they'll preform on screen uniformity, motion & blacks? Looking forward to seeing the new Sony sets as well, I had a 850D which I really liked but the black levels made me return it for the KS800 which I also returned cause it had multiple issues.

Hoping to get a very solid set this year. First...I was set on OLED but wouldn't mind another panel like the KS8000 cause of the price. Really looking forward to the 2017 models and what they may bring.

Geneijin

I stand by that statement. If he's that picky about what he wants. (or has any standard when it comes to PQ) and especially if he wants HDR, the lowest end set to even consider is the Samsung 49KS7000, but really one should really start looking at something like the Sony 55XD93 and higher. The year of affordable HDR this is not. Wait for 2017 sets to start hitting. Maybe.
This. It's why I ended up getting an LG OLED55C6P.

For the price, my Sony XBR49X800D was pretty good for what it was, but it was an IPS panel, poor contrast ratio because it wasn't a VA panel unlike the smaller XBR43X800D, had light bleed issues at the bottom, an edge-lit display with no local dimming, obvious haloing for subtitled TV shows and movies, and a few other things like the user interface not saving TV settings like my old Sony KDL48W600B. For the life of me, I don't understand why they got rid of this settings memory feature. So the only reasonable alternative is the 49KS7000 (or 49KS8000 here in the U.S.), but I rather have a FALD at that point personally.

There's a quote from Nikkei Asian Review that says their 65" model could be going for $8500. Can't see that being true, but if so, lool

All the Sony top of the line TVs debut in the $8k price range. I remember when my Sony 65X900A debuted, it was I think $8700 or something.

Am I imagining things or did 2016 LG OLED's recently go back up in price? I could've sworn the B6 65" was going for $3K for a while and now it's $4K.

You're not imagining anything. They have gone up in price. What the hell?

Best Buy had the 55' for $1,999. Was gonna use a $250 BB gift card for it and literally the next day I checked again and it went up to $2,500. Eff that.

Holiday pricing maybe?

BumRush

From the time of announcement, the 2017 OLEDs will probably still have 2-3 months until release. Once they release you should see last year's models discounted again to make room for the 2017s.

KillGore

Best Buy had the 55' for $1,999. Was gonna use a $250 BB gift card for it and literally the next day I checked again and it went up to $2,500. Eff that.

Holiday pricing maybe?

I regret not buying the C6 when it was at $1,800 around November. I didn't expect prices to go up. Usually tech goes down in price, rather than up. I guess it doesn't apply to tvs completely. First time I'm looking for a high end tv so I didn't know what to expect. Live and learn I guess.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

So that's likely the same peak for Sony and LG OLEDs.

Some interesting quotes:

Like all other OLED TVs to be released in 2017, the TX-65EZ1002/ TX-65EZ1000 won’t have 3D capability.

Huh? Do they know something we don't?

but not Dolby Vision format since the company believes it knows its own panel and processing better than any other organisation.

No Dolby Vision.

LG OLEDs to date have had a tendency to either render the shades just above black with more noise and blockiness, or crush shadow detail however slight. Panasonic aims to tackle this through its HCX2 processor, drawing upon its know-how and experience with plasma to compensate

Good to hear.

x3sphere

That doesn't seem like a big increase over current models. It varies from unit to unit, but hitting around 700 nits seems to be common on the E6

I thought they would go higher as some prototype OLEDs hitting 1000+ nits were demoed earlier last year. Not that I care much, I think the current OLEDs get plenty bright.

Could just be a minimum amount though and the typical average will be higher.

holygeesus

Banned
Lol I see you are going down the response time route now then! So you gonna make me pull out the B6 table again?

1080p @ 60Hz 44.4ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 61.0ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ HDR 58.0ms - 71.0ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 @ HDR 54.9ms - 70.7ms
4k @ 60Hz 43.2ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 59.8ms
4k @ 60Hz @ HDR 38.2ms - 54.5ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 @ HDR N/A

Hmmm can't see any of those being quicker than the ZD9? Some of those readings are atrocious.

And why on earth would you put response times and input lag in the same basket!?
You must know better that?
Clutching at huge clumps of straw I'm thinking.

I'd choose the one I have now funnily enough, Panasonic 902, 35ms across the board, would make a table like the LG one look very boring.

Who said the B6? The C6/E6 and G6 all outperform the ZD9 when it comes to gaming, on lag alone.

The reason I bring up pixel response time, is it is completely relevant to picking a panel for gaming, if you don't want smearing on fast motion, or ghosting. Just as you don't want DSE which the demo model I saw of the ZD9 had.

The ZD9 is arguably the best all-round consumer TV out there (as it should be for the price), but I'd pick an OLED for gaming every time.

Who said the B6? The C6/E6 and G6 all outperform the ZD9 when it comes to gaming, on lag alone.

The reason I bring up pixel response time, is it is completely relevant to picking a panel for gaming, if you don't want smearing on fast motion, or ghosting. Just as you don't want DSE which the demo model I saw of the ZD9 had.

The ZD9 is arguably the best all-round consumer TV out there (as it should be for the price), but I'd pick an OLED for gaming every time.

You said B6

and the lag time in the ZD9 being worse than any of the LG range for non HDR material (and pretty much equal anyway even with HDR games

I never said response wasn't important, lag is all I've ever mentioned, and it's what makes a game feel actually playable, and I'd easily take that over pixel response.

That doesn't seem like a big increase over current models. It varies from unit to unit, but hitting around 700 nits seems to be common on the E6

I thought they would go higher as some prototype OLEDs hitting 1000+ nits were demoed earlier last year. Not that I care much, I think the current OLEDs get plenty bright.

Could just be a minimum amount though and the typical average will be higher.

It just goes to show the issues with panel life and volts that OLED faces with high nits, I mean how on earth will an OLED ever hit standards like 4000 and 10000 HDR!? This is why LCD is going nowhere for a very long time.

MrJames

So the Samsung "QLED" flagship is flat and edgelit. I wonder what Samsung will call real QLED when it's ready in a few years.

Eylos

Banned

"The 65in Panasonic EZ1000 will be available in Europe from end of May 2017, although there’s currently no plan to release the 4K OLED TV in North America. The company hasn’t decided on a launch price yet."

this sounds interesting too:

"The new “Master HDR OLED” panel will be joined by an “Absolute Black Filter” that not only soaks up ambient light and reflections to reduce glare, but also eradicates the reddish blacks which can affect some OLED TVs in bright rooms. We’ve been very impressed with the anti-reflective filter on the now-defunct Panasonic ZT plasma, and so can’t wait to see how the version implemented on the TX65EZ1000 will perform."

Theonik

Sounds nice. Peak brightness is still poor though and there is nothing about full panel brightness and changes to the brightness limiting circuitry. Reflective filter should be really interesting. Currently one of the reasons why OLED is really bad for HDR is that they can't actually hit the low end HDR premium black levels in a real world viewing environment due to reflections in the room, this should help mitigate that. Moreover, Panasonic's processing might also help mitigate the near black issues these panels are plagued with.

Dave_6

I hope that quote "no 3D like all the 2017 OLEDs" was incorrect or I guess I will be looking for an E6 soon instead of waiting on the 2017 model.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I hope that quote "no 3D like all the 2017 OLEDs" was incorrect or I guess I will be looking for an E6 soon instead of waiting on the 2017 model.

Yeah, if that's true I'll be getting a 2016 model no matter what improvements come in the new generation.

50 minutes to go.

BumRush

My Panny Plasma does 3D so it's not a mandatory feature for me, but yeah that would be a silly exclusion.

We'll know soon.

kanuuna

The new Panasonic OLED sounds good, though I'm more curious about what Sony might be offering. I feel like I'm going to be stuck with my ZT60 for at least another year no matter what, though - I think I rather upgrade my surround setup unless the OLED models this year are insane.

Top Bottom