• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Kyoufu

posted in that $250 tv thread but I'll post here too

so I've got a question if anyone has any advice

I checked on craiglist and saw someone selling a 58" Samsung plasma tv for $400. I think it's the PN58B550 model. does anyone know anything about these and if this would be a good tv to pick up? I researched a bit online and it seems like these models can be hit or miss and that the buzzing can vary. also how viable is a plasma tv if the room it'll be in will get some natural light during the morning and afternoon? all the shades and everything will be closed but the light does get through.

thanks

Don't know about that specific model but my 7 year old plasma TV was a glare magnet. Couldn't use it during the day.

Anyway, my advice is to not buy a plasma TV in 2017. :p

phanphare

Banned
Well, 400$ for a 7 y.o. Plasma seems rather pricey. And I don't know for certain, because Samung nomenclature was different back then, but B550 doesn't seem like a high class model either.

Don't know about that specific model but my 7 year old plasma TV was a glare magnet. Couldn't use it during the day.

Anyway, my advice is to not buy a plasma TV in 2017. :p

ok cool, thanks yall

I basically have been wanting to upgrade my tv but I can't afford an oled tv right now so I figured a used plasma may be an option to get similar picture quality at a more affordable price

I guess saving up and waiting for black friday sounds like a better plan

Kyoufu

ok cool, thanks yall

I basically have been wanting to upgrade my tv but I can't afford an oled tv right now so I figured a used plasma may be an option to get similar picture quality at a more affordable price

I'd definitely save up if I were you. You don't have to get an OLED. I'd consider an affordable LCD that has 4K HDR.

BumRush

ok cool, thanks yall

I second what Kyoufu is saying.

Geneijin

ok cool, thanks yall

Depends. If it was like say an old Panasonic PST60 series TV and it was <$400, I'd maybe recommend doing it solely for SDR content ($300 or less personally). Color accuracy and performance for Rec. 709 out of the box is still unrivaled compared to many modern TVs. You don't even have to calibrate it and you could still get a pretty good picture by default. HDR content is still sparse, and it's not the worst decision to wait another 2-3 years until say HDMI 2.1 finally comes out to consumer televisions.

Still, if you have any desire of experiencing some early HDR content, there's no question you should get a newer TV this year or afterward.

NYR

Yeah, no idea why they made the base so much bigger on the E7 over the E6, a bigger footprint stands out more, looking at my E6, I'm glad the base is so small.

Kyoufu

Yeah, no idea why they made the base so much bigger on the E7 over the E6, a bigger footprint stands out more, looking at my E6, I'm glad the base is so small.

I'm not a big fan of the E6 stand. It's tiny and feels flimsy IMO.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I am starting to get into the market for an HDR capable TV and was wondering how big of a jump the difference in HDR quality is from say, the XBR850D to the XBR930D/KS8000/B6. Is it a huge difference?

Anyone have any comments? This will be my last begging bump. :)

Chumley

Banned
Bought an LG OLED E6P 55", got a deal for $2k.

Gamed on it last night, thing is a dream but I still have a little bit of sticker shock at spending so much on a TV.

BumRush

Bought an LG OLED E6P 55", got a deal for $2k.

Gamed on it last night, thing is a dream but I still have a little bit of sticker shock at spending so much on a TV.

You probably spend more time a day in front of a TV than most other things (outside a bed, which I also think deserves the highest quality). Don't feel bad!

I saw an LG OLED55B6P go on sale for $1,400 and thought I could wait the weekend before picking it up. It sold out that evening.

Does that model go on sale often? or should i be giving up on that one and look at other OLEDs?

Caleb187

I saw an LG OLED55B6P go on sale for $1,400 and thought I could wait the weekend before picking it up. It sold out that evening.

Does that model go on sale often? or should i be giving up on that one and look at other OLEDs?

It should keep going on sale, especially with the 2017 line coming out soon. On top of that if you have a creditcard that allows price protection, you can buy it now and just use price protection when it drops low again. I got my 55B6P for $1550 originally but used price protection to get it down to $1200.

Anyone have any comments? This will be my last begging bump. :)

x850d is not a very good set due to black levels

upgrading to something with a VA panel (ks8000) would be a huge increase in PQ due to the better black levels alone, let alone the HDR performance which would be improved as well

OLED is the best option but also the most $$

i had an x850d which i immediately returned after a week. then got a ks8000, which was a huge upgrade. after moving i sold the ks8000 so i didnt have to haul it across the country, and now have an e6 and c6

It should keep going on sale, especially with the 2017 line coming out soon. On top of that if you have a creditcard that allows price protection, you can buy it now and just use price protection when it drops low again. I got my 55B6P for $1550 originally but used price protection to get it down to $1200.

What do you think the 65B6P will drop to?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
x850d is not a very good set due to black levels

upgrading to something with a VA panel (ks8000) would be a huge increase in PQ due to the better black levels alone, let alone the HDR performance which would be improved as well

OLED is the best option but also the most $$

i had an x850d which i immediately returned after a week. then got a ks8000, which was a huge upgrade. after moving i sold the ks8000 so i didnt have to haul it across the country, and now have an e6 and c6

Thanks.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I hopped on that deal. Worth every penny. OLED is mind blowing.

If you see that deal again, don't hesitate.

molnizzle

Will you notice 20ms in comparison to the 28ms the 6-range is now after the firmware update?

Notice? Probably not in most games, but I'm currently gaming on a 16ms plasma and would like to stay in that ballpark if possible. I do play fighting games. The only reason OLED is even a consideration now is because of that patch.

Smokey

What improvements does hdmi 2.1 bring?

Also lol $2500 more for the new version of what I just bought.

http://lifehacker.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-hdmi-2-1-1792406703

The biggest news is that HDMI 2.1 will support content at resolutions up to 10K. It will also support frame rates at 120 Hertz at 10K resolution.

The 2.1 update adds a “Game Mode VRR” feature, which allows a source device, like a PC or game console, to synchronize its refresh rate with a connected display. This will ideally reduce screen tearing dramatically.

HDMI 2.1 will support HDR like 2.0 does, but will also bring dynamic metadata, which allows the exact range of luminance to be varied on a “per frame” basis like with Dolby Vision HDR.

The kicker here, though, is that HDMI 2.1's dynamic metadata will work with the open standard HDR 10. That means better HDR picture for more, less-expensive devices.

Audio will get a boost too. Enhanced Audio Return Channel will enable object-based audio schemes similar to Dolby Atmos and DTS X. This makes positional audio more realistic, regardless of how many speakers your surround sound setup has.

Kazaam

I am so afraid of replacing a 55" calibrated Panasonic VT50 Plasma... it's 4-5 years old, but has absolutely gorgeous picture quality. I do want to upgrade this specific TV with a 65" OLED or KS8000 (UK equivalent of KS9000... though seeing the horrible viewing angle of that one made it an instant deal breaker)... but I'm afraid that the quality might be worse or not enough of a jump to justify the price for the OLED (at least yet) given the uniformity issues and problems that could arise from it's motion response time. There's also problems I hear with the image retention (which coming from a Plasma shouldn't frighten me... but it is one of the things I hate most about my TV). Is anyone else in a similar situation? Should I wait for the new lineup (tho I expect it's gonna be a lot more expensive)?

How much do prices tend to drop for the older models once the new ones come around? Been eyeing that 65E6P but damn that price...over 3K for a TV is a tough pill to swallow

holygeesus

Banned
I am so afraid of replacing a 55" calibrated Panasonic VT50 Plasma... it's 4-5 years old, but has absolutely gorgeous picture quality. I do want to upgrade this specific TV with a 65" OLED or KS8000 (UK equivalent of KS9000... though seeing the horrible viewing angle of that one made it an instant deal breaker)... but I'm afraid that the quality might be worse or not enough of a jump to justify the price for the OLED (at least yet) given the uniformity issues and problems that could arise from it's motion response time. There's also problems I hear with the image retention (which coming from a Plasma shouldn't frighten me... but it is one of the things I hate most about my TV). Is anyone else in a similar situation? Should I wait for the new lineup (tho I expect it's gonna be a lot more expensive)?

OLED limitations will not disappear this generation. No TV is perfect.

Kazaam

OLED limitations will not disappear this generation. No TV is perfect.

Hmmm... I realise that. I'm guess what I want to know is if ... it's worth the price (will I see a positive difference in quality)? Or maybe it is too early for proper OLED adoption?
I mean it's not really a small investment.. I was just curious if anyone was in a similar position. I ask because most (if not all) LCD and LED TVs pale in comparison to my plasma (EDIT: that I've seen... ). Don't want to pay 3k and have a worst quality or a "meh" reaction to it.

holygeesus

Banned
Hmmm... I realise that. I'm guess what I want to know is if ... it's worth the price (will I see a positive difference in quality)? Or maybe it is too early for proper OLED adoption?
I mean it's not really a small investment.. I was just curious if anyone was in a similar position. I ask because most (if not all) LCD and LED TVs pale in comparison to my plasma (EDIT: that I've seen... ). Don't want to pay 3k and have a worst quality or a "meh" reaction to it.

I would argue it is the perfect time to jump in to OLED. The 2016 models were stunning and at a reasonable price. I went from a Kuro to a B6 and I couldn't be happier.

Kazaam

I would argue it is the perfect time to jump in to OLED. The 2016 models were stunning and at a reasonable price. I went from a Kuro to a B6 and I couldn't be happier.

Well that's a great sign.. Good to know. I might pull the trigger after all. I need to get another closer look at one up close but I always hate how they look in those bright showrooms usually with the worst freakin presets/settings.

Weevilone

Agreed. At this point, I'm waiting until 2.1. Granted there will be a 2.2, etc. soon after, but...

No real harm in waiting (unless you are me and your TV broke), but I fear 2.1 will go through iterations like 2.0 did. My early 2.0 display that the kids mainly use is nearly useless at this point. The HDMI assholes just can't leave anything alone.

Well that's a great sign.. Good to know. I might pull the trigger after all. I need to get another closer look at one up close but I always hate how they look in those bright showrooms usually with the worst freakin presets/settings.

I'd say it's about as useless looking at an OLED in a bright showroom as it was looking at your plasma in a bright showroom. At least when you take them home that deficiency disappears, whereas LCD's do not. They are being made to look better by the showroom comparison and that fades away unless you put the display in a stupidly bright location.

I came from a Kuro and I did notice the motion not being as strong at first but I've mostly tweaked things to a good place. Every once in a while I see something and think hmm, that would have been handled better on the plasma. But the other 99% of the time it's just amazing.

If you are terrified of the motion thing, wait to see what Sony does and pay a lot more. Otherwise just catch a sale price on the LG. I figure I'll be wanting a new display when HDMI 2.1 has all the kinks worked out, but we'll see. The sale prices help with that concern.

holygeesus

Banned
OLEDs are pretty much designed to be the perfect TVs for dark rooms. They don't really have enough brightness to wow in any showroom.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'll post some proper impressions later as I've only used the new OLED for a bit.
Haven't messed too much with the settings but just using plain ISF Dark looks the best to me until I have it calibrated.

This TV is ridiculously bright though (to me) so I can't even imagine how bright top end LCDs get.
Coming from a VT60... it's almost uncomfortable. My roommate says it's too bright for her, is there a good setting for controlling this? I may edit the "Standard" mode settings to have lower brightness for her in the evenings.

Jigolo

If they really have 20ms of input lag (or whatever they claimed) then they might just be worth it for some. Like me.
People say this but the jump from 1.4 to 2.0 to 2.0a was not nearly as big as 2.0a to 2.1. The throughput difference is tremendous and not to mention the specific gaming features that are included. Granted nothing can take advantage of that and wouldn't expect it to until PS5 stuff. I think 2.1 will be here a while.

i think i quotes the wrong guy but on mobile so oh well lol

finalflame

So..if 2.1 is coming next year most likely, does it even make sense to drop the $3.5K on a 2017 2.0 set right now?

I just sold my KS8000 as I am relocating to a new state and didn't wanna haul it with me, under the pretense of getting a new set once I get to my new place. I will be moving into said new place around the same time the B7/C7 will start becoming available, but I am doubting whether it's worth spending 2x as much to get one of these over a B6/C6, if this is just going to be a holdover TV until we get 2018 OLEDs with HDMI 2.1.

This decision might be easier if Sony's A1E had already been priced and was releasing closer to Q1 rather than Q2-3.

Thoughts?

finalflame

I am so close to replacing my ASUS 1080p 27" monitor with the...

LG Ultrafine: 27UD68P 27" 4K UHD IPS Monitor (3840x2160, 2x HDMI, DP, Height Adjust, Pivot)

My only worry is not having HDR. Is that something that I feel like I will be missing out on over the coming years? I haven't actually seen a real-life comparison of what the technology does yet.

If so, I'll just wait for ASUS 4K/HDR monitors.

IMO SDR -> HDR is a bigger IQ change than 2K -> 4K. Wait and see how well supported it will be on PC before making any decisions.

I mean....It's hard to really consider dropping these asking prices when HDMI 2.1 will most likely be next year...

The trick about TVs is that you don't need to worry about what capabilities a TV has, you have to worry about when you'll have content to take advantage of those capabilities.

For now, we've standardized on HDMI 2.0b, 4K, and HDR10 for most content. Yes, HLG, the AV1 codec, and ATSC 3.0 are coming, but when do you actually plan to have a device to play all of that back, and can a breakout set top box handle that?

I have a Samsung 4K HDR KU6300. What is the best options for a PS4 PRO? I feel like the picture doesn't look as good as it should. I turned off Game mode and the colors pop more but I don't know if that will affect gameplay.

Top Bottom