• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

jfoul

Fry's has a 65 inch Samsung KS8500 for $1199 with no tax and local delivery in my area. Is this a good price for this set? I don't care much more curved sets, but this seems like a really good price for a 65 inch.

Fry's has a 65 inch Samsung KS8500 for $1199 with no tax and local delivery in my area. Is this a good price for this set? I don't care much more curved sets, but this seems like a really good price for a 65 inch.

That's a great price. I can't handle the curve though.

holygeesus

Banned
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but the Sony A1 OLED is strongly rumoured to have a 'Motion' mode, which basically equates to black frame insertion. I *think* this would be a first in an OLED set.

Can anyone leave me some tips for a B6 set up tomorrow please? Some settings for gaming and TV, settings from HDR, advice on how to get them to save to a certain HDMI slot or anything? So hyped, I need to be readily prepared! I am not setting it up alone, too scared to get it out of the box haha!

Hammer24

Banned
Can anyone leave me some tips for a B6 set up tomorrow please? Some settings for gaming and TV, settings from HDR, advice on how to get them to save to a certain HDMI slot or anything? So hyped, I need to be readily prepared! I am not setting it up alone, too scared to get it out of the box haha!

Post #93 as a starting point.

Weevilone

Can you guys confirm that non-HDR game mode being locked to wide color gamut affects all the 2016 OLED's? I believe this is true, just checking. I can vouch for E6.

Trying to add this to John Archer's list of issues for Forbes articles.

Smokey

The trick about TVs is that you don't need to worry about what capabilities a TV has, you have to worry about when you'll have content to take advantage of those capabilities.

For now, we've standardized on HDMI 2.0b, 4K, and HDR10 for most content. Yes, HLG, the AV1 codec, and ATSC 3.0 are coming, but when do you actually plan to have a device to play all of that back, and can a breakout set top box handle that?

Variable refresh rate on a TV is huge and would instantly be taken advantage of by say, hooking up a gaming PC to it.

$1499 - LG Electronics OLED55B6P This is cheaper than Cleveland AV ($1650 shipped). I'm seriously considering it, but I really want a 60-65 inch set.

See I was looking on eBay at these sets, but it being eBay, I was a little spooked by the "low" prices I'm seeing.

The implementation of HDR in the X800 series is arguably the worst in the industry. Compared to an OLED it is like night and day.

Well...Damn. I was side eying the 43" version for desk use and for its cheap price. Is the HDR that bad?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
See I was looking on eBay at these sets, but it being eBay, I was a little spooked by the "low" prices I'm seeing.

Plenty of folks over at AVS have purchased from this seller with no issues and quick shipping. You'll have an LG warranty regardless of where you buy it as long as it's new and you keep the receipt.

KevinG

Been reading that TVs will start dropping in price this coming month.

I want a KS8000 55" in the sub-$1000 range.

Reasonable expectation?

Weevilone

LOL, naw man I just like a nice bright screen and I heard these lack that? I just don't know the extent so I is curious.

If you want to run an LCD backlight at 100% and sear your eyes, not to that extent.

I couldn't use mine above 50 or so in my environment without significant discomfort. I don't have any direct lighting in my area though.

Geneijin

Well...Damn. I was side eying the 43" version for desk use and for its cheap price. Is the HDR that bad?
The original question he was responding to was this. I'm assuming he confused the X850D with the X800D, which are two different models entirely, because the X800D isn't that bad. The X800D series has the only VA panel out of the two. Even the XBR49X800D is an IPS panel.

If you want 65" don't compromise. You'll only have regrets down the line.

I've owned both sizes over the years and the jump to 65" from 55" is more significant than 10". Very much seems like the perfect non-projector size to me.

AfroLuffy

Damn, this is a tempting deal. I really might jump on this.

Do you guys think it's worth purchasing the 2 year square trade warranty? I know most electronics typically fail within the first year, but $1400 would be more than I've ever spent on a TV before, so maybe $75 extra out of pocket would be worth it for another year of peace of mind?

The other thing, I've never ordered a TV online before. Is Adorama one of those companies where you need to hook the TV up and make sure it works before you sign for the delivery guy? That's really not practical in my situation.

Geneijin

Do you guys think it's worth purchasing the 2 year square trade warranty? I know most electronics typically fail within the first year, but $1400 would be more than I've ever spent on a TV before, so maybe $75 extra out of pocket would be worth it for another year of peace of mind?

The other thing, I've never ordered a TV online before. Is Adorama one of those companies where you need to hook the TV up and make sure it works before you sign for the delivery guy? That's really not practical in my situation.
If you need the peace of mind, buy the extended warranty. I'm of the opinion that most problems surface within the first 30 days, and any other lingering issues happen within the first year assuming you're using the item semi-extensively. Another way to look at it is that $75 extra isn't a whole lot when you're already spending $1400 on the most expensive TV you've ever bought before.

As for Adorama, no. It's a general thing you should do regardless of who you're buying from when you're online shopping especially for a big ticket item. You don't want to be in a situation where you could have done the easy return, but ignore taking the necessary precautions just because it's a little convenient. Trust me when I say you don't want the headache of processing a return through the manufacturer. It could be the most painless process ever, but the turnaround can be ridiculously long.

AfroLuffy

If you need the peace of mind, buy the extended warranty. I'm of the opinion that most problems surface within the first 30 days, and any other lingering issues happen within the first year assuming you're using the item semi-extensively. Another way to look at it is that $75 extra isn't a whole lot when you're already spending $1400 on the most expensive TV you've ever bought before.

As for Adorama, no. It's a general thing you should do regardless of who you're buying from when you're online shopping especially for a big ticket item. You don't want to be in a situation where you could have done the easy return, but ignore taking the necessary precautions just because it's a little convenient. Trust me when I say you don't want the headache of processing a return through the manufacturer. It could be the most painless process ever, but the turnaround can be ridiculously long.

Thank you for the help! Your advice makes sense to me. I just wonder: does the delivery guy usually help set the TV up or do I need to tip him to wait around a few minutes while I unpack and hook it up to make sure it works okay before I sign?

Geneijin

Thank you for the help! Your advice makes sense to me. I just wonder: does the delivery guy usually help set the TV up or do I need to tip him to wait around a few minutes while I unpack and hook it up to make sure it works okay before I sign?
YMMV. But the common thing is they can't leave the item there without a signature. Use that opportunity to check for visible damage on the packaging and item in question. Turning the TV on is also the easiest way to view hairline scratches or cracks not easily discernible under natural light.

Weevilone

Do you guys think it's worth purchasing the 2 year square trade warranty?

It's way cheaper to get an extended warranty thru Costco if that's an option. Well maybe not cheaper but better deal. It extends the warranty 3 additional years on top of the manufacturer's warranty for $90.

So, there any TVs out yet that support HDMI 2.1 and the variable refresh rate?

All the 2017 sets have been announced and are HDMI 2.0.

So 2018 at the earliest.

HDMI Forum basically tried to sabotage all the TV manufacturers by announcing HDMI 2.1 at CES while everyone was showing off their 2017 HDMI 2.0 sets at the show. Kind of funny when you think about it.

ss_lemonade

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but the Sony A1 OLED is strongly rumoured to have a 'Motion' mode, which basically equates to black frame insertion. I *think* this would be a first in an OLED set.
Don't all of their upper end sets even in the past have BFI support? Wouldn't be surprised if their OLED has it too

Smokey

Went to look (again) at the OLEDs in person. Think 65'' is where I want to be, but is that version hardly on sale? Only see the 55".

LilJoka

If I go any lower than 80 I feel it's too dim tbh.

I have it at 45, otherwise it's blinding in the evening. But my room is north facing so I don't get much direct sunlight, plus it's the cloudy uk.
E/C/G need higher OLED light since they have the 3D filter.

LilJoka

65" or bust. Can't go smaller than my 65" VT60.

65 OLED has uniformity issues though.
On mine the left few inches are tinting yellow, very obvious when using it as a PC.
The 55s are much better though, alomost perfect. I went from 42 to 65, and now I know 55 wouldn't have been enough.

Being a total n00b here but don't understand what ISF etc means in post 93 or whichever number I was told to check when doing my settings! Also tried updating my TV. Says nothing was found, is 04.30.65 the newest firmware?! If so I'm all done! Aside from how to set gaming settings...

Smokey

On mine the left few inches are tinting yellow, very obvious when using it as a PC.
The 55s are much better though, alomost perfect. I went from 42 to 65, and now I know 55 wouldn't have been enough.

i cant win

Hammer24

Banned
Being a total n00b here but don't understand what ISF etc means in post 93 or whichever number I was told to check when doing my settings! Also tried updating my TV. Says nothing was found, is 04.30.65 the newest firmware?! If so I'm all done! Aside from how to set gaming settings...

Your TV has several different picture modes. You change them when you press the little cog symbol on your remote.
The three settings you`ll be using everyday are ISF light, ISF dark and HDR - so these three are the ones you need to calibrate.
In order to calibrate, you press the cog, then the uppermost blue symbol to choose the setting; then press the cog again and select the lowermost icon "all settings".

The odd thing with the FW on these models is, that often the ones available on the TV differ from those available on the website. So if you checked on the TV make sure to check there as well!

I would advise you to exchange your set. I do not have any uniformity issues.

Top Bottom