• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

KevinG

So is this eBay deal on the 55" top good to be true?

I'm just so skeptical, but that's a whole $1000 discount. Trying my darndest to convince the wife that coining $300 over budget it worth it for this TV.

I was waiting for $1000 KS8000 55".

Insane IQ on this TV now I've done my settings, my game settings are the best, can't find anything good for ISF dark/light right now.

Anyone tell me a quick way to turn off HDR? It's automatically enabling it which is fine but not for COD! The lag is quite noticeable on Ratchet and Clank...thanks!!!

Hey guys,

I have a LG OLED EC9300 and i absolutely love it. If my memory serves me correctly i have had this TV since late 2015 and i wish i could just stick with it. The thing is, i plan to buy a Pro next year and a Scorpio this year. Naturally i want to have all the benefits and thus i have decided to upgrade to a TV capable of 4K/HDR.

Some say once you go OLED you don't go back and after having seen several high end TV's now that are not OLED i have to agree. So it's going to be either the B6 or C6. Whichever has the better price. Unless things have changed and OLED doesn't provide the best inky black levels and image quality anymore, but it still does....doesn't it?

Have both C6 and B6 now received that input lag patch in all countries, in my case Holland?

KevinG

Here's the proposal for the B6 that I've prepared for my wife:

Future proof (5 years) technology with OLED, 4K, real HDR, good for both gaming and watching movies.

Stand is reviewed as really sturdy, safer for the kids and fits well on our current set up without needing a trip to IKEA to upgrade our TV stand.

Simply a better TV for an insane value than waiting for the 55" KS8000 to drop to sub-$1000.

PayPal credit, pay half now and pay the rest off over the next six months.

No tax and no shipping cost.

I'm pretty sure she's already annoyed as all get out by my insane focus on making this happen since that deal was posted in here. I'll probably get a firm "no" accompanied with a blank stare during the entire discussion.

My standards for a TV have gone up a good bit in the past 24 hours, as a result of a trip to Best Buy to confirm my lust for the KS8000, along with seeing the LG B6 (to which my wife said, "Oh wow..") and realizing how far it was out of our price range, only to see this deal a few hours later.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Future proof (5 years) technology with OLED, 4K, real HDR, good for both gaming and watching movies.

Stand is reviewed as really sturdy, safer for the kids and fits well on our current set up without needing a trip to IKEA to upgrade our TV stand.

Simply a better TV for an insane value than waiting for the 55" KS8000 to drop to sub-$1000.

I'm pretty sure she's already annoyed as all get out by my insane focus on making this happen since that deal was posted in here. I'll probably get a firm "no" accompanied with a blank stare during the entire discussion.

My standards for a TV have gone up a good bit in the past 24 hours, as a result of a trip to Best Buy to confirm my lust for the KS8000, along with seeing the LG B6 (to which my wife said, "Oh wow..") and realizing how far it was out of our price range, only to see this deal a few hours later.

Rooting for you. Haha
Use eBates for an extra 2% off. (so like $28 back)
https://www.ebates.com/ebay?query=ebay&position=1&type=suggest&store=3993&navigation_id=23078

And if you use my referral link to sign up, you'll get an extra $10. PM me if you're up to it :)

finalflame

Man, I'm happy I don't have to prepare a dossier in order to purchase a TV, lol.

Good luck dude! If i was your wife, I'd accept your points and give the go-ahead.

Traxtech

Insane IQ on this TV now I've done my settings, my game settings are the best, can't find anything good for ISF dark/light right now.

Anyone tell me a quick way to turn off HDR? It's automatically enabling it which is fine but not for COD! The lag is quite noticeable on Ratchet and Clank...thanks!!!

Cod doesn't have hdr, so it won't be going into hdr mode anyway. Make sure you go into input settings and change the icon for the console to game console

BumRush

Don't leave us hanging man. What did she say??

MDave

Nearly a week of enjoying my C6 and I can't stop using the thing every moment I get. Once you go OLED you can't go back. Using it for dual purposes:

PC work: How I have this setup is my taskbar auto-hides, solid black background and I resize the window of the app I'm using to whatever is most comfortable at close range (say at a desk) and its like I have a nice OLED monitor at 27 inches (or more or less, totally up to you!). It's way better then a multi monitor setup. It being 4K makes this very useable at close distances when you don't use DPI scaling and keep it at 100% scaling in Windows.

Gaming / Watching media: Sit back and enjoy the full 55 inches of OLED goodness, it's sooooo gooooood.

EDIT: I'm going to take pictures of my setup, so you guys can see how ridiculous it is!

EDIT2: Here it is, note my camera has a wide angle lens so its making my TV look way more curved then it actually is.

Click images to make them bigger.
e0e3f91aaf.jpg

1ebf3f31f0.jpg

So yeah, if you want to use these as PC monitors setting it up like this works great.

Khrno

Hey everyone, could you please help me out choosing the best option from the following 48-49" TVs?

I'm in South America so these all these TVs are within my price range.
I'm not interested in 4K, I don't have a PS4 Pro and I won't get one, not interested on 4K video either. I have a 4K monitor and that's all I need. However I added that 4K there because it might overall be better than the other ones, but please keep in mind that 4K does not make the TV better to me.
The TV will be in my room to be used for PS4, Switch and HD video.

Thanks for your help.

KevinG

Rooting for you. Haha
Use eBates for an extra 2% off. (so like $28 back)
https://www.ebates.com/ebay?query=ebay&position=1&type=suggest&store=3993&navigation_id=23078

And if you use my referral link to sign up, you'll get an extra $10. PM me if you're up to it :)

Man, I'm happy I don't have to prepare a dossier in order to purchase a TV, lol.

Good luck dude! If i was your wife, I'd accept your points and give the go-ahead.

Don't leave us hanging man. What did she say??

I think I used your referral link. Didn't read all the way through your post before I ordered.

Oh, and she said "yes" at the understanding that I'm under some major debt to clean the house (I already do most of the cleaning anyway, as she usually distracts the kids so I can).

So, I'm pretty stoked on this set.

KevinG

So, it says delivery by the 13th - 20th of March, but dang do I want to play Breath of the Wild on it.

I know BOTW is only 900p, but coming from a low-end Phillips 1080p from 2011 (was a wedding gift), this is going to be an insane jump.

The only TV I owned before the Phillips was a 720p Visio from 2007.

So, it says delivery by the 13th - 20th of March, but dang do I want to play Breath of the Wild on it.

I know BOTW is only 900p, but coming from a low-end Phillips 1080p from 2011 (was a wedding gift), this is going to be an insane jump.

The only TV I owned before the Phillips was a 720p Visio from 2007.
It'll still be a significant upgrade because the black levels and color reproduction is so good.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I think I used your referral link. Didn't read all the way through your post before I ordered.

Oh, and she said "yes" at the understanding that I'm under some major debt to clean the house (I already do most of the cleaning anyway, as she usually distracts the kids so I can).

So, I'm pretty stoked on this set.

Oh, lol, I don't think that was a referral link, just the ebay info.
It's all good, enjoy the set!

LilJoka

i cant win

Yeh, im not 100% satisfied since i want to own the TV for 5-8 years like my Pioneer Kuro.

Basically, it cant be seen in any content like movies or games at all. I cant see it in any panning shots either. There is some banding when i look at the 5% slide, slightly darker in the centre, but again, not visible on any content.

Only if im on youtube and its completely white. Or the grey login screen when i log into windows - then i can see the slight yellow tint on the left couple of inches. So its not all bad, just in very specific scenarios in which for me colour accuracy is not important.

If you plan to do photoshop work, you cant own the 65", get the 55 and even then its just as good as it gets rather than perfect.

I predict 2017 will be similar really.

I would advise you to exchange your set. I do not have any uniformity issues.

Id like to see your 5% slide. They all have issues.

The yellow tint on the side of mine i am willing to live with only because the rest of my panel is actually quite good.

Most have very bad vignetting on the right sides.

Again i dont notice it on any content except the yellow tint which is only on a forum/youtube.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Soooo... Samsung's Q7, Q8 and Q9 are coming this week. And still no word about these sets. :/

I wanna see the reviews. I'd be happy if they're a good upgrade from the KS8K/9K.

holygeesus

Banned
Yeh, im not 100% satisfied since i want to own the TV for 5-8 years like my Pioneer Kuro.

Basically, it cant be seen in any content like movies or games at all. I cant see it in any panning shots either. There is some banding when i look at the 5% slide, slightly darker in the centre, but again, not visible on any content.

Only if im on youtube and its completely white. Or the grey login screen when i log into windows - then i can see the slight yellow tint on the left couple of inches. So its not all bad, just in very specific scenarios in which for me colour accuracy is not important.

If you plan to do photoshop work, you cant own the 65", get the 55 and even then its just as good as it gets rather than perfect.

I predict 2017 will be similar really.

Id like to see your 5% slide. They all have issues.

The yellow tint on the side of mine i am willing to live with only because the rest of my panel is actually quite good.

Most have very bad vignetting on the right sides.

Again i dont notice it on any content except the yellow tint which is only on a forum/youtube.

Tinting is present in all of these sets to some degree. They are designed to be slightly brighter on the left and right extremes to combat vignetting, which is far more distracting a problem.

What does seem improved on the 2017 sets, judging by early looks at the Panasonic and Sony OLEDs is motion - Sony are putting in BFI and Philips are apparently using some kind of backlight scanning. All signs point to these 2017 models being damn fine televisions.

LilJoka

Tinting is present in all of these sets to some degree. They are designed to be slightly brighter on the left and right extremes to combat vignetting, which is far more distracting a problem.

What does seem improved on the 2017 sets, judging by early looks at the Panasonic and Sony OLEDs is motion - Sony are putting in BFI and Philips are apparently using some kind of backlight scanning. All signs point to these 2017 models being damn fine televisions.

Yup i agree.

On my ISF Dark, i have pretty much negated the yellow tint on the left with the High point colour balance, just reduced red+green and upped blue.

Thats why i notice it on PC, because we cant tweak that in game mode.

My panel was definitly not new either, it had been returned as there are fingerprints on the bottom of the screen that are too fat to be mine. I got it from costco so i havbe 90 days either way.

I was at my friends house yesteday who has a sony led, its motion was miles better than the LG, its unfortunate. The LG is a bit more raw lets put it that way. The only content i have found unwatchable is Sky F1 HD, the panning is full of stutter, every 1-2 seconds.

I'm still messing with settings, I am not the greatest calibrator of TV's I will admit, fairly clueless! Bit of stutter watching football streaming on the Sky App (Before I get the Sky Q deal) I have even turned TruMotion on but its still there a bit. Rather annoying!

Help?

If i want to use Trumotion, sometimes for a racing game but especially Netflix when things can look slightly juddery on my EC9300....what are some good custom settings for Trumotion?

And a 55 C6 - most 55s look like this

On mine its almost like they over compensated the left side which gives me a slight yellow tint.

This is awful, it's like having an edge-lit LED LCD TV. What's even the point of spending all the money on an OLED if you get uniformity like an LCD?

KevinG

Does anyone know how quickly Adorama usually ships when you order through eBay? Just wondering if I should expect this thing earlier than 2 weeks from now.

I pulled the trigger on the Adorama B6. I was trying to wait for the B7 or the new samsung qleds but that price was too good to pass up. Now i need to buy a new receiver.

holygeesus

Banned
This is awful, it's like having an edge-lit LED LCD TV. What's even the point of spending all the money on an OLED if you get uniformity like an LCD?

It's not really much use judging these sets from 5% slides. Any image retention will show in that scenario unless tested immediately following a compensation cycle. In terms of uniformity these sets blow away any LCD.

Keep in mind that the above grey uniformity pictures are highly overexposed. Viewed live a 5% grey slide is close to black and non uniformity issues aren't nearly as noticeable as in those screens. Unless you have bad luck with pronounced vertical bands those issues will be hard to spot in any actual content.

holygeesus

Banned
Keep in mind that the above grey uniformity pictures are highly overexposed. Viewed live a 5% grey slide is close to black and non uniformity issues aren't nearly as noticeable as in those screens. Unless you have bad luck with pronounced vertical bands those issues will be hard to spot in any actual content.

Agreed. My own two personal tests are fast moving sports with rapid horizontal pans e.g. football and a 'grey' game like 'Inside'. If I don't notice bands on either of those I never will. I've not seen an LCD yet that passes my football test.

Ein Bear

Just had my second B6 crap out on me.

n1JRK

Really not sure what to do now. It's a beautiful TV, but I've had two faulty units in the space of a month. I'm really worried about getting a third, not sure if I should cut my losses and just get a refund :/

KevinG

Just had my second B6 crap out on me.

n1JRK

Really not sure what to do now. It's a beautiful TV, but I've had two faulty units in the space of a month. I'm really worried about getting a third, not sure if I should cut my losses and just get a refund :/

That is a bit worrying a I am expecting my first.

Agreed. My own two personal tests are fast moving sports with rapid horizontal pans e.g. football and a 'grey' game like 'Inside'. If I don't notice bands on either of those I never will. I've not seen an LCD yet that passes my football test.

Ha, I know exactly what you mean too with the football test. It's super easy to spot non-uniformity when watching football, the American or the international variety.

It's good to know that these photos aren't representative of what you can normally see though.

these are final launch prices and dates

OLED55C7P $3,499 Week of 2/27
OLED65C7P $4,499 Week of 2/27
OLED55E7P $4,499 Week of 4/1
OLED65E7P $5,999 Week of 3/20
OLED65G7P $6,999 Week of 3/27
OLED77G7P $16,999 Week of 4/24
OLED65W7P $7,999 Week of 2/27
OLED77W7P $19,999 Week of 6/26

vpance

Interesting how the cheaper X900E will have FALD (and X1 chip too) while the X930/940E will stay edge lit. Apparently Sony says the latter will still perform better overall though, I guess in brightness mostly.

Top Bottom