• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

holygeesus

Banned
It really depends on what aspect of picture you care the most about. There are aspects of LG OLEDs that were already surpassed by LED sets at the time they launched:

- Maximum brightness
- No automatic backlighting
- Motion smoothness
- Uniformity
- Image retention
- Near-black details

OLEDs reputation at the best picture quality mostly comes down to two areas where they are superior:
- Black levels (and the related artifacts that can be caused by LED technologies for getting lower black level)
- Viewing angles

In particular, a lot of people are super obsessed with black levels, so the fact that OLEDs have the lowest black levels is the main reason they get such acclaim. If black levels are not that important to you (either because you don't value them so highly or because you rarely use your TV in dark room settings) then the extra expense of OLED is probably not worth paying.

Personally, I have long believed that reviewers ascribe too much weight to black levels, given that a lot of people end up using their TVs in bright room settings where there differences end up being influenced more by the TVs anti-reflective coating than by the innate black-level response.

Come on, OLEDs are about more than just black levels, and you are having a laugh if you think LEDs offer a more uniform picture.

Black level? Sure, but add to that:

-Contrast
-Motion Blur/Response time
-Colour uniformity and general uniformity.
-Lack of DSE
-Lack of blooming

Every TV has a list of pros and negatives, but the list for OLED is as positive as any. Only the ZD9 comes close to OLED IMO (based on my own preferences)

holygeesus

Banned
Minor vertical banding is inherent to these but the powering off definitely isn't right.

Any vertical banding he sees on normal viewing should be an immediate return anyway. Initiate a manual compensation cycle then watch some sport or fast moving action. If you see any vertical bands after that, ship it back until you get a good one. Mine has no bands at all.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Any vertical banding he sees on normal viewing should be an immediate return anyway. Initiate a manual compensation cycle then watch some sport or fast moving action. If you see any vertical bands after that, ship it back until you get a good one. Mine has no bands at all.

Yeah, I don't see any on mine either.

Should you do a manual compensation cycle when you first get the TV as a way of breaking it in? I remember with my plasma everyone was saying to run slides and whatnot. Is there anything akin to that I should do with these TVs?

b0bbyJ03

It really depends on what aspect of picture you care the most about. There are aspects of LG OLEDs that were already surpassed by LED sets at the time they launched:

- Maximum brightness
- No automatic backlighting
- Motion smoothness
- Uniformity
- Image retention
- Near-black details

OLEDs reputation at the best picture quality mostly comes down to two areas where they are superior:
- Black levels (and the related artifacts that can be caused by LED technologies for getting lower black level)
- Viewing angles

In particular, a lot of people are super obsessed with black levels, so the fact that OLEDs have the lowest black levels is the main reason they get such acclaim. If black levels are not that important to you (either because you don't value them so highly or because you rarely use your TV in dark room settings) then the extra expense of OLED is probably not worth paying.

Personally, I have long believed that reviewers ascribe too much weight to black levels, given that a lot of people end up using their TVs in bright room settings where there differences end up being influenced more by the TVs anti-reflective coating than by the innate black-level response.

It's not so much that people ascribe to black levels, it's that contrast has a direct correlation to black levels. The contrast on an OLED is not just slightly superior, it's vastly superior. It's pretty much the single most important aspect in regard to picture quality. You're selling OLED short. I came from a plasma, which I already thought was miles ahead of LED, and when I got the B6 I couldn't believe how much better it was than even my Panny.

With that said, not everyone is a videophile or video enthusiast so I do understand that when it comes to value there is an argument to be had. Some people appreciate size or brightness above all. Nothing wrong with that, but that doesn't take away the fact that the actual pq on an OLED is still the best hands down.

holygeesus

Banned
Should you do a manual compensation cycle when you first get the TV as a way of breaking it in? I remember with my plasma everyone was saying to run slides and whatnot. Is there anything akin to that I should do with these TVs?

No, just use it as normal. These sets don't need breaking in per se. Only run a compensation cycle if you see any bands watching normal TV. If you still see them after this then return, otherwise don't touch the comp cycle as your set will do it automatically when needed.

Basically running a manual cycle would be my final call before sending it back.

Dave_6

Mine has one to the right of middle. I've had the TV for ~1 month and ran two comp cycles on it. The band has gotten better but it's still there. I've read it's 'normal' so instead of the hassle of playing panel lottery I've just hung on to it. No I don't see it all the time; only under darker scenes like in films/TV such as The Arrival. I've kept the box but it's probably beyond the return period anyways.

holygeesus

Banned
Mine has one to the right of middle. I've had the TV for ~1 month and ran two comp cycles on it. The band has gotten better but it's still there. I've read it's 'normal' so instead of the hassle of playing panel lottery I've just hung on to it. No I don't see it all the time; only under darker scenes like in films/TV such as The Arrival. I've kept the box but it's probably beyond the return period anyways.

We all have different tolerance to these things I guess. I couldn't live with anything like that, especially as I watch a lot of football.

One thing I have noticed, is just how many films shoot with defective cameras - I watched Coherence and there is a scene in that outside, of the sky and there are literally dozens of vertical bands present. This was early days and I nearly had a fit when I saw them. Fired up the same scene on my laptop and they were present there too.

I remember trying to live with a dead pixel back in my old PJ days and it completely ruined the experience for me, so now I won't accept any defect. I'd rather go through the hassle of returning set after set to get a good one.

When people refer to vertical bands are they meaning poor gray uniformity? Like inconsistent color across what is supposed to be a single solid color? Or something else

Lima

Got my LG E6 and there is one "huge" problem: The vertical FOV of 3D is shit? Did you always have to watch 3D movies on a passive 3D TV looking straight at the screen? Since I have a center speaker, I had to buy a stand that would fit over the center box for the TV. I got the perfect stand, TV on it looks great, but elevates the TV so much that 3D movies while lying on the couch is ghost town deluxe.

I may return the TV but have to think about other options first. I still have the 3D DLP projector (active 3D so seemingly FOV independent, as the picture is much higher than the TV and the 3D still works like a charm), so I could by a projector screen that goes in front of the TV when watching 3D blu-rays. I could then wait for the OLED 7 series and have the better OLED tv. I could by new/lower furniture, probably the cheapest option. I don't want to remove the center box since it is only a few months old... #firstworldproblems

Have not watched much on it for now, but the overall picture quality is just wow. Have yet to set it up properly. I hope my store has a good solution for me in ... store. If I recall correctly, I cannot simply return the TV in Austria and get the money back, but I will call today (no, Amazon did not have the TV in stock).

3D in 2017 LUL

Call me when 3D attempts another comeback in a decade or so without glasses.

KevinG

I was already told by Adorama customer service that they no longer have any B6s in stock, so the operating manager would have to decide if I could get just get a refund or a "comparable" unit as a replacement.

My biggest fear is that I've lost my chance to get a B6 at that price.

I'm not optimistic that they will give me a 2017 OLED as a "comparable" replacement.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
3D in 2017 LUL

Call me when 3D attempts another comeback in a decade or so without glasses.

I mean, there are still films being released in 3D, and I'm not going to wait a decade to rewatch all these films.
I may as well keep watching them now on the best device for doing that, which is a passive 4K OLED.

I was already told by Adorama customer service that they no longer have any B6s in stock, so the operating manager would have to decide if I could get just get a refund or a "comparable" unit as a replacement.

My biggest fear is that I've lost my chance to get a B6 at that price.

I'm not optimistic that they will give me a 2017 OLED as a "comparable" replacement.

Was it a 65 or 55 that you had ordered?
Perhaps a C6?

tokkun

Come on, OLEDs are about more than just black levels, and you are having a laugh if you think LEDs offer a more uniform picture.

Black level? Sure, but add to that:

-Contrast
-Motion Blur/Response time
-Colour uniformity and general uniformity.
-Lack of DSE
-Lack of blooming

Every TV has a list of pros and negatives, but the list for OLED is as positive as any. Only the ZD9 comes close to OLED IMO (based on my own preferences)

It's not so much that people ascribe to black levels, it's that contrast has a direct correlation to black levels. The contrast on an OLED is not just slightly superior, it's vastly superior. It's pretty much the single most important aspect in regard to picture quality. You're selling OLED short. I came from a plasma, which I already thought was miles ahead of LED, and when I got the B6 I couldn't believe how much better it was than even my Panny.

With that said, not everyone is a videophile or video enthusiast so I do understand that when it comes to value there is an argument to be had. Some people appreciate size or brightness above all. Nothing wrong with that, but that doesn't take away the fact that the actual pq on an OLED is still the best hands down.

Contrast is not a separate advantage from black levels. The entirety of OLED's contrast advantage is on the black level side of the equation, as its brightness is less than high-end LCDs.

KevinG

Take the refund.
But you'll see this TV on sale again. Don't be disheartened.
At this point, I'm just so bummed because I got myself so hyped to be getting this set today, and now I'm just staring at an expensive paperweight.

Will probably wait until it drops to $1300 at somewhere like Best Buy. I hope it's soon. I rearranged everything, my entertainment center, organized cords, got totally ready to get this thing.

First world problem at its worst.

At this point, I'm just so bummed because I got myself so hyped to be getting this set today, and now I'm just staring at an expensive paperweight.

Will probably wait until it drops to $1300 at somewhere like Best Buy. I hope it's soon. I rearranged everything, my entertainment center, organized cords, got totally ready to get this thing.

It will never drop that low at a major retailer. Inventory is getting low. it might get down to $1700. It's only eBay sellers that are going to get any lower.

asdad123

I seem to have a problem with my LG E6 and PS4 Pro. Sometimes when I play a game with HDR, all I get is a black screen with blinking green Lines on the left and right side. It only seemed to start with Horizon. I played FFXV with HDR and didn't have a problem.

Any ideas? I'm running on the HDMI 1 input if that makes any difference and running the most up to date firmware with the hdr game mode.

finalflame

I know that feel man, getting a new expensive toy then having it be a dud is disheartening. With that said, the B7 is on the horizon and the B6s are only gonna go down from here in pricing. I myself just sold my 65" KS8000 and am waiting to move in two weeks to get a 55" B6/C6. Hold on strong, you'll be living the OLED dream soon!

Lima

I know that feel man, getting a new expensive toy then having it be a dud is disheartening. With that said, the B7 is on the horizon and the B6s are only gonna go down from here in pricing. I myself just sold my 65" KS8000 and am waiting to move in two weeks to get a 55" B6/C6. Hold on strong, you'll be living the OLED dream soon!

No it won't get much lower because those are stock clearing prices already. You can't go lower when no one has the TV for sale anymore. Several places already don't have them anymore.

KevinG

It will never drop that low at a major retailer. Inventory is getting low. it might get down to $1700. It's only eBay sellers that are going to get any lower.

No it won't get much lower because those are stock clearing prices already. You can't go lower when no one has the TV for sale anymore. Several places already don't have them anymore.

This is what I'm most bummed about in the long term scheme of this whole situation.

If I missed my chance at OLED for this price because why're sold out.

On the bright side, at least a refund is an option. As the other guy said, this deal will likely be back.

Don't forget you can price protect. Order from somewhere like Cleveland AV and use a sketch site whenever their price drops to get the same deal.

This is what I'm most bummed about in the long term scheme of this whole situation.

If I missed my chance at OLED for this price because why're sold out.

I hovered my cursor over the Buy It Now button on a 55C6 for $1400 for like 3 hours. I finally go to purchase it and nope, the price jumped to $1999. I busted out laughing because this always happens to me. I do tons of research but end up waiting too long and the price changes or the item sells out.

KevinG

On the bright side, at least a refund is an option. As the other guy said, this deal will likely be back.

Don't forget you can price protect. Order from somewhere like Cleveland AV and use a sketch site whenever their price drops to get the same deal.

I don't have a credit card with that feature. Still using my OG Capital One Platinum that I've had for a decade.

Worst case scenario is getting a refund and being stuck with my 40" Philips 1080p for another year. Sucks, but it's out of my hands now.

finalflame

They'll still have stock at 1200-1400 for the foreseeable future. Chill, my dude, you're forgetting places like BB/Amazon/etc still have them at $2200, and those places need to break sooner or later.

Advice time:

I want a 75" or 77" OLED

But i don't know if I wanna wait for major drops because I'm gonna buy new speakers and receiver at the same time.

So does anyone have any comparable suggestions in either 75" or 77" that's under 10k ?

DirtyLarry

Damn, I literally lost sleep last night deciding if I should order that LG from Adorama on eBay.
Ultimately I decided not to because of one major reason...
I grew up in Elizabeth NJ where they are located. Lived there the first 13 years of my life, and still have relatives there. Especially after checking out their store front on eBay combined with my knowledge of E-Town and where they are located, I decided not to as their inventory most certainly falls of trucks. Or to be more specific ships, since they are right next to Port Newark.

Does not mean the items are not legit. Just means there may be some shadiness involved in how they were procured. At least I would put money on it. I truly hope everything works out for you KevinG. It was an AMAZING deal though. I am not kidding when I say I lost sleep. I saw it at around 11 on Kotaku, had eBay open until midnight, knew my wife would kill me so I eventually talked myself out of it. Tossed and turned, got back online around 12:45, which is when I decided what I shared above.

Kambing

Advice time:

I want a 75" or 77" OLED

But i don't know if I wanna wait for major drops because I'm gonna buy new speakers and receiver at the same time.

So does anyone have any comparable suggestions in either 75" or 77" that's under 10k ?

My recommendation -- for what is sounding to be quite the large purchase -- is to wait for HDMI 2.1 devices, especially if you are buying TOTL stuff. I would buy a vizier 75 P series now and a bare minimum receiver for your new speakers. In 1-2 years time, you can upgrade to a nicer TV and receiver. In fact, you would probably be able to do this for the same total expenditure you are looking to spend now on TOTL devices.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I don't have a credit card with that feature. Still using my OG Capital One Platinum that I've had for a decade.

Worst case scenario is getting a refund and being stuck with my 40" Philips 1080p for another year. Sucks, but it's out of my hands now.

Nah, there will be more chances for the 55".

Advice time:

I want a 75" or 77" OLED

77" OLED for 10k isn't going to happen unless you buy used from someone. Maybe.
And even then it'll be the 2015 model.

Lima

Advice time:

I want a 75" or 77" OLED

I think you are going to be waiting until 2018 for an Oled over 65" for under 10k. They will complete their new P10 factory this year so next year we should see some major price drops across the whole range. Should bring down the 77" to 10k MSRP and street prices below that easily. Will also decrease the insane price gap between 55" and 65" and allow for smaller sizes than 55 for the loonies that still buy such small TV's.

Basically next year OLED is coming for dat LCD ass.

Geneijin

Contrast is not a separate advantage from black levels. The entirety of OLED's contrast advantage is on the black level side of the equation, as its brightness is less than high-end LCDs.
I'd have to disagree. You can have similar static contrast ratios on a variety of IPS panels for example, but the black levels can make or break them. OLED is no different. Would you say the contrast ratio between the 2016 LG OLED TVs are the same as the 2017 models with an even higher peak brightness and better near black detail?

That's such a good price I totally would've purchased it. Unfortunately, by the time I saw your post, they had already sold out. Hoping for a other deal!

It'll appear again although, maybe not with the 10% eBay Bucks promo. If you look at the slickdeals link, someone actually bumped the old thread when Adorama had the same sale on 2/14. It's been on sale for $1400 twice in the past month by the same seller.

simtmb

Regarding the banding talk. I've seen it on every OLED I've looked at unfortunately, all with varying degrees of severity. I'm very sensitive to it and can see it on my set through the center.

Been over a week so far, ~30hrs on my C6. I'll be seeing how it is over time and may run the manual compensation cycle later.

KevinG

Adorama just informed me that they will no longer have any more stock of the B6, so my only option is a full refund.

Regarding the banding talk. I've seen it on every OLED I've looked at unfortunately, all with varying degrees of severity. I'm very sensitive to it and can see it on my set through the center.

Been over a week so far, ~30hrs on my C6. I'll be seeing how it is over time and may run the manual compensation cycle later.

Between this and KevinG's issue I'm officially concerned. I'm going to do my best to avoid searching for flaws, but it's hard not to once you're aware they may exist.

simtmb

Between this and KevinG's issue I'm officially concerned. I'm going to do my best to avoid searching for flaws, but it's hard not to once you're aware they may exist.

Don't be too concerned, as holygeesus mentioned earlier, if you see anything off during normal viewing (without looking for it), initiate a return. I'm not bothering as I've seen far worse, and panel lottery I'm truly sick of (went through quite the nasty string of bad Plasma sets way back), and the store i bought it from have always been a pleasure to deal with.

Adorama just informed me that they will no longer have any more stock of the B6, so my only option is a full refund.

Sorry to hear man, shit situation. Can you possibly work something out with them for a move to a C6 etc?

My recommendation -- for what is sounding to be quite the large purchase -- is to wait for HDMI 2.1 devices, especially if you are buying TOTL stuff. I would buy a vizier 75 P series now and a bare minimum receiver for your new speakers. In 1-2 years time, you can upgrade to a nicer TV and receiver. In fact, you would probably be able to do this for the same total expenditure you are looking to spend now on TOTL devices.

Nah, there will be more chances for the 55".

77" OLED for 10k isn't going to happen unless you buy used from someone. Maybe.
And even then it'll be the 2015 model.

Should I just shoot for next years Qdot ? Looks like I can get a 75" Samsung for $7k and under

tokkun

I'd have to disagree. You can have similar static contrast ratios on a variety of IPS panels for example, but the black levels can make or break them.

OLED is no different.

This was a question about a specific set of OLEDs compared to LCDs, not some hypothetical comparison of any displays. If you claim a display has zero-luminance blacks, and another doesn't, then by definition the display with zero-luminance blacks will have a higher contrast ratio.

Would you say the contrast ratio between the 2016 LG OLED TVs are the same as the 2017 models with an even higher peak brightness and better near black detail?

If you go by LG's specs, the answer is 'no', since they claim infinite contrast ratios on both sets.

I would guess that they probably do have a better contrast ratio if you were to measure it in real viewing conditions (i.e. non-pitch black room at normal viewing distance), because you can't actually achieve true zero-luminance black.

The near-black detail issue is irrelevant for contrast ratio calculation. If you're trying to make the point that contrast ratios are pretty deficient as the sole metric of picture quality, then you're preaching to the converted.

Madness

My last exchange from them reads as if receiving a refund is absolutely my only option.

I don't want a curved screen.

I feel you. Almost always curved screens are worse than flat, but with OLED, there is less issues with uniformity and clouding with a curve, plus the C6 has 3D so you do gain that benefit.

ACH1LL3US

I own two oled's , the 55ec9300 and the 65b6. I also previously had an e6 and a c6. I love oled tvs but they are not perfect, BUT if your concerned with banding on oled's then I hate to say it but LCD tvs have it worst, it doesn't matter if they are Edge lit, fald etc, all of them have it to a certain degree and on top of that they have dse, which oled does not have.

I would recommend getting the new c7 that will be out in a few weeks, lower lag (21ms) then the new Samsung q7 (24ms) and imho a superior picture with no pwm and infinite contrast ratio.

Also the new 2017 oled tvs will have no abl under 150nits for sdr so that will make a huge difference for those that use them for pc/console gaming :)

Top Bottom