• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

I own two oled's , the 55ec9300 and the 65b6. I also previously had an e6 and a c6. I love oled tvs but they are not perfect, BUT if your concerned with banding on oled's then I hate to say it but LCD tvs have it worst, it doesn't matter if they are Edge lit, fald etc, all of them have it to a certain degree and on top of that they have dse, which oled does not have.

I would recommend getting the new c7 that will be out in a few weeks, lower lag (21ms) then the new Samsung q7 (24ms) and imho a superior picture with no pwm and infinite contrast ratio.

Also the new 2017 oled tvs will have no abl under 150nits for sdr so that will make a huge difference for those that use them for pc/console gaming :)

Well I've already got the B6 ordered, and it should be on the way. I'd probably be waiting a year for the B7 anyway and then end up considering the 2018s, and so on haha

KevinG

I had so many plans with this TV, just for this evening even.

I've never been so let down by something so shallow. My attitude toward this is making me second guess how much emotion I have invested in just a luxury. It all feels so silly how upset I am about it all. I keep trying to justify running out to Sams Club tomorrow and spending the $1999 on it. Even more ridiculous because only a couple of weeks ago I was determined to wait for the KS8000 to be at $800.

I had so many plans with this TV, just for this evening even.

I've never been so let down by something so shallow. My attitude toward this is making me second guess how much emotion I have invested in just a luxury. It all feels so silly how upset I am about it all. I keep trying to justify running out to Sams Club tomorrow and spending the $1999 on it. Even more ridiculous because only a couple of weeks ago I was determined to wait for the KS8000 to be at $800.

The fever is real. I've got it too.

Don't do it at $2k though. Cleveland AV has it for $1650, maybe even less now if you're really set on it. I recommend getting a card with price protection if you want the best deal though.

KevinG

The fever is real. I've got it too.

Don't do it at $2k though. Cleveland AV has it for $1650, maybe even less now if you're really set on it. I recommend getting a card with price protection if you want the best deal though.

I'm not seeing it through Cleveland AV.

I've got a really solid interest rate on my current (and only) credit card. Already stretched to convince the wife to buy this TV at $1400, won't be any more wiggle room to pay more or get a new credit card just for a new TV.

It sucks, but the sooner I just give up and let it go the better off I'll be.

dsk1210

Vertical band up the middle and the tv powers back off immediately.

I'm effed aren't I?

Sorry man, that must be terrible after your excitement, my son smacked my old OLED with the htc Vive controller and i got a band up the middle and it would power off, after 10 mins it would not turn on at all.

Feel your pain mate.

Geneijin

This was a question about a specific set of OLEDs compared to LCDs, not some hypothetical comparison of any displays. If you claim a display has zero-luminance blacks, and another doesn't, then by definition the display with zero-luminance blacks will have a higher contrast ratio.

If you go by LG's specs, the answer is 'no', since they claim infinite contrast ratios on both sets.

I would guess that they probably do have a better contrast ratio if you were to measure it in real viewing conditions (i.e. non-pitch black room at normal viewing distance), because you can't actually achieve true zero-luminance black.

The near-black detail issue is irrelevant for contrast ratio calculation. If you're trying to make the point that contrast ratios are pretty deficient as the sole metric of picture quality, then you're preaching to the converted.
I just disagree with the idea contrast ratio and black levels aren't separate advantages. That's all. It's why I brought up IPS TVs since they have similar 1000:1 contrast ratios, but the difference between blacks measuring at 0.08 or 0.1 for example means the TV with darker blacks will have a slightly better contrast ratio obviously. But it's really impossible right now to get zero-luminance blacks because you're gonna have light bleed to the nearby black pixels when measuring any ANSI checkerboard pattern, so I don't really subscribe to the idea of zero-luminance blacks or infinite contrast ratio for that matter. You'll more or less have 0.0005 blacks even with the darkest blacks ever. And because of that, we're in a developing situation now on how to measure contrast ratio for HDR content, not SDR content when 100% stimulus is only 100 nits. It's why I mentioned the 2016 LG OLED TVs and the 2017 models because when you're viewing HDR content, you're not gonna have the same contrast ratio with different levels of peak brightness when your blacks are 0.0005 nits especially when TV technology is still chasing 2,000 nits.

As for the near black thing, I have no idea either. It was a mistake on my behalf.

holygeesus

Banned
Between this and KevinG's issue I'm officially concerned. I'm going to do my best to avoid searching for flaws, but it's hard not to once you're aware they may exist.

There are as many of us here who have no faults with these sets, besides flaws of the tech. I too am sensitive to banding (I see it on pretty much every LCD I watch when watching football/soccer) and I would see it here if I had it. You'll be fine.

Recently got a Switch, tried plugging it into my TV. The last available HDMI was marked ARC, but I figured it wouldn't be a problem, I just plugged it in. The TV seems to know that the switch is turned on when I turn it on, but it claims no signal. It produces no sound, no video. Neither do my Wii U or my PC when plugged into the ARC port. Is this normal? Is the ARC port on my television ONLY for the transmission of audio data? Or is there some problem with my set.

So if I'm looking for a 55" 4k TV for gaming with a low input lag what should I be considering? I would like if there is an OLED option but I'm not bent on getting OLED. Is there a 2017 model that looks promising or is there no reason to avoid the 2016 models?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Should probably wait for my refund to come through on the Adorama order.

ielectrica charges tax, so I'm looking at a few hundred dollars more. Ugh.

You should buy from Cleveland AV. I'll ask what the current B6 55" price is for you.
No tax, and shipped extremely fast. (I ordered Friday morning, and it arrive Monday morning)

KevinG

You should buy from Cleveland AV. I'll ask what the current B6 55" price is for you.

Thanks man. That would be great. They're reputable?

Are they selling through eBay? I went to their website last night, but wasn't impressed navigating it. At least on mobile.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Are they selling through eBay? I went to their website last night, but wasn't impressed navigating it. At least on mobile.

See my edit above.
Super reputable. They're an official sponsor at the AVS Forum and have sold to thousands of members (including a few here and myself). You just have 24 hours to check the delivery and TV condition. After that it's between you and LG for any warranty service. He does sell through eBay as well, but direct is cheaper.

Yeah, the website is junk. He's pretty much an email and phone only guy, but very responsive. In fact, he already replied to my email.

Price is 1675 shipped.
chris@clevelandplasma.com
1-866-651-0049

I don't think you have to rush or anything, wait for your refund first.

Does anyone with a Samsung TV has this issue where the image kind of separates and it looks purple for like a second? I don't know how to explain it better. This only happens woth my PS4 Pro.

Yukstin

Email Chris chris@clevelandplasma.com at Cleveland AV and ask for the best price they currently have. I emailed him and had a price quote within an hour. When I was ready to buy, I called them and gave them my info. TV shipped within a few days and arrived via freight.

Their website is vague because they don't advertise prices there. They are completely reputable as I have bought two tvs from them including a C6 this year. I know others here have also bought from and can vouch as well.

KevinG

See my edit above.
Super reputable. They're an official sponsor at the AVS Forum and have sold to thousands of members (including a few here and myself). You just have 24 hours to check the delivery and TV condition. After that it's between you and LG for any warranty service. He does sell through eBay as well, but direct is cheaper.

Yeah, the website is junk. He's pretty much an email and phone only guy, but very responsive. In fact, he already replied to my email.

Price is 1675 shipped.
1-866-651-0049

Email Chris chris@clevelandplasma.com at Cleveland AV and ask for the best price they currently have. I emailed him and had a price quote within an hour. When I was ready to buy, I called them and gave them my info. TV shipped within a few days and arrived via freight.

Their website is vague because they don't advertise prices there. They are completely reputable as I have bought two tvs from them including a C6 this year. I know others here have also bought from and can vouch as well.

Already emailed and got a response.

$1675 is now $675 dollars over what my budget was when I started this whole process, but I've convinced myself that OLED is what I want, and now I'm in a situation where I feel like I won't be able to find as good of a deal as Adorama had.

Really appreciate all your help.

See my edit above.

Price is 1675 shipped.
1-866-651-0049

Interesting, price was at 1650 for a while. Inventory must be drying up.

tokkun

Either they had a messed up panel or screwed up the measurement, or its brightness is way lower than KS8000. Samsung shit the bed?

It says in the review that Samsung told them their unit was out of spec based on the brightness measurement.

The bigger negative to me from this review is that viewing angles are still rated pretty poorly when that was supposed to be the big improvement of this year's model.

KevinG

So, I'm trying to research my options here for a credit card that offers price protection.

Capital One Quicksilver card says it offers it on eligible items, and I'm assume a TV is eligible.

vpance

It says in the review that Samsung told them their unit was out of spec based on the brightness measurement.

The bigger negative to me from this review is that viewing angles are still rated pretty poorly when that was supposed to be the big improvement of this year's model.

Better than a regular VA panel, but still bad. Shame.

Yeah there must be something wrong with their unit. Roughly half the peak nits of the previous model sounds extreme.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So, I'm trying to research my options here for a credit card that offers price protection.

Capital One Quicksilver card says it offers it on eligible items, and I'm assume a TV is eligible.

I looked up that card for you and they only give you up to $250 refund, but you do get 120 days to file a claim. Going by online prices from the usual suspects, that may be enough though (TVSuperstores has it for 1469 so a difference of $206).
See page 7:
https://www.capitalone.com/assets/c...9c89b8445b0/world-elite-guide-to-benefits.pdf

As for other cards with Price Protection:
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-card-benefits/purchase-protection-refund-price-drop/

I personally did it with my Purchase from ClevelandAV with Discover.
I think Citi is the smoothest. Discover is easy as well, you just need to call them first to start it.

Discover or Citi are the way to go. Citi is supposedly easier. I have both and used my Citi card because it adds 2 years of warranty on top of the manufacturer's whereas Discover only adds 1 year.

A cool thing about Discover though is they will allow you to price protect even Black Friday prices and all you have to show is an ad for the item with the price. Doesn't apply here, but something to consider for future purchases.

Using one of these cards, you could very likely get the TV for as low as 1100-1200.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Discover or Citi are the way to go. Citi is supposedly easier. I have both and used my Citi card because it adds 2 years of warranty on top of the manufacturer's whereas Discover only adds 1 year.

A cool thing about Discover though is they will allow you to price protect even Black Friday prices and all you have to show is an ad for the item with the price. Doesn't apply here, but something to consider for future purchases.

Using one of these cards, you could very likely get the TV for as low as 1100-1200.

Yeah, that's a great secret feature of the Discover card. Plus the free FICO score each month.
Their CS is fantastic too.

Regarding the price match, are there any sites selling it for that low?
The cheapest I see is TVSuperstores which has it for $1,469, so that'd be $206 cash back.

Yeah, that's a great secret feature of the Discover card. Plus the free FICO score each month.
Their CS is fantastic too.

Regarding the price match, are there any sites selling it for that low?
The cheapest I see is TVSuperstores which has it for $1,469, so that'd be $206 cash back.

There aren't right now, but they were in the $1250 range a week or two ago. It's only a matter of time until the shady sites drop again.

Madness

How the fuck do you achieve 99% WCG even better than OLED and then get half the brightess of last years models and not enough to meet HDR1000 recommendations...

I am glad they focused more on build design using metal unibody on the remote, sturdier back and stand but come on Samsung. I might pick up that remote though if it works well to sort of move away from the weak small plastic one I got with the KS8000.

ss_lemonade

Does anyone with a Samsung TV has this issue where the image kind of separates and it looks purple for like a second? I don't know how to explain it better. This only happens woth my PS4 Pro.

Yeah, known problem for a while now with a thread in the Samsung forums. Seems to affect all KS models. Here's how it looks like on my ks9000 with a regular PS4 (you could get it to happen by toggling HDR on and off).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yFB3-naqzA

This was like a month or 2 back and would happen too with FF 15. Not sure if it's been partially remedied now because toggling HDR on Horizon today does not cause the same side effect.

Ah cool, yeah, they will.

Mine is NTFS. FAT32 would work but would limit you on file size.

Cool, thanks. I got some bad news though -- just called to see when it would ship and the Adorama people told me the eBay team wasn't there today and to call back Monday. They currently have my order listed as backordered though. Tempted to just cancel, order through Cleveland, and price protect later as it would end up costing me the same.

Edit: Now I'm a bit confused as they literally just told me my card wouldn't be charged until the TV shipped, and the charge went through today.... I wonder if their system is just out whack and it's perhaps already shipped?

Edit 2 (last one, I promise): Is there a shipping reference number to use so I can verify if UPS has perhaps already received it?

Yeah, known problem for a while now with a thread in the Samsung forums. Seems to affect all KS models. Here's how it looks like on my ks9000 with a regular PS4 (you could get it to happen by toggling HDR on and off).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yFB3-naqzA

This was like a month or 2 back and would happen too with FF 15. Not sure if it's been partially remedied now because toggling HDR on Horizon today does not cause the same side effect.

Yeah it looks like that but I was playing with HDR disabled from the console settings. What a weird thing to happen.

KevinG

So, here's an exchange with Adorama:

Unfortunately after checking with our purchasing manager they are unable to retrieve any more of these units. We also checked for a comparable unit and they do not have any. If you would like to keep, we can check into some sort of compensation and you can have the unit repaired under warranty. Otherwise we can only take this unit back for a full refund.

Thank you and our apologies for any inconvenience.

Should I try to have LG fix it? Would they replace the unit with a new one if this one was unable to be fixed?

Trying to think of my cheapest quickest option.

Should I try to have LG fix it? Would they replace the unit with a new one if this one was unable to be fixed?

I'd return it. If you live in a city you may have an easier experience than I did, although I dealt with Samsung. They're bullshitting one of us though, or they've placed their final order for more sets. Told me mine was backordered, meaning there are definitely more on the way but they may already be spoken for.

KevinG

I'd return it. If you live in a city you may have an easier experience than I did, although I dealt with Samsung. They're bullshitting one of us though, or they've placed their final order for more sets. Told me mine was backordered, meaning there are definitely more on the way but they may already be spoken for.
I'm currently on hold with LGs VIP warranty service. They're extremely cooperative, and can have a tech come out by Monday morning.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm currently on hold with LGs VIP warranty service. They're extremely cooperative, and can have a tech come out by Monday morning.

I've heard LG service is good.
If Adorama allows you time for the tech to give his assessment, then that might be a good option.

J-P

Neo Member

Said it a few pages back but I Used my Chase visa and bought a B6 65 from Cleveland AV for $2600. Price protected against a shady site. Got $500 back. Pretty sweet deal.

KevinG

I've heard LG service is good.
If Adorama allows you time for the tech to give his assessment, then that might be a good option.

I have three business days, starting on Monday, to have UPS pick up the package for return to Adorama.

At worst, I'm just waiting for an LG Tech to tell me what my options are if I decide to go through them. I wonder if they will replace the unit if they cannot repair it?

I hope.

Insane Metal

Gold Member

LOL

Holy shit. Samsung you asses. They were so proud to say the QLEDs would be the brightest tvs ever... and they are less bright than their last year's models. What. 😂

Edit:

We have contacted Samsung, and they say that our unit is out of spec due to the relatively low peak brightness measurements. We will continue to investigate and update the review as we obtain more information.

Update 3/10/2017. We've ordered another unit. We will test it, verify the results and update the review.

So I recently posted about how I bought a westinghouse 55 inch. It was a great tv for watching movies. However playing games, whenever the camera panned the screen would darken and there would also be sort of an after image. I research this subject and figure it's because of bad motion handling. So I decided to order a vizio 4k d series as it had some good reviews and rtings said it had great motion handling. The Vizio came in today and wow, the difference is palpable. Not only that, but the input lag is the best I've ever felt. I thought the tv I had before had pretty low input lag but the Vizio has a perceptible difference. Gonna gift the westinghouse to my mother as she's always wanted a huge TV.

So I recently posted about how I bought a westinghouse 55 inch. It was a great tv for watching movies. However playing games, whenever the camera panned the screen would darken and there would also be sort of an after image. I research this subject and figure it's because of bad motion handling. So I decided to order a vizio 4k d series as it had some good reviews and rtings said it had great motion handling. The Vizio came in today and wow, the difference is palpable. Not only that, but the input lag is the best I've ever felt. I thought the tv I had before had pretty low input lag but the Vizio has a perceptible difference. Gonna gift the westinghouse to my mother as she's always wanted a huge TV.

I hate how TVs handle motion. I've never been satisfied with any of the LCD/LED screens I've owned.

spwolf

hm, so both XE93 (+XE94) and XE90 are getting rave reviews... will this be the year when Sony gets it right? XE85 might end up good this year with VA panel, X1 processor and 100hz refresh. I might get interested when prices fall in 2-3 months... here in EE, OLED screens are simply way too expensive.

Dave_6

Got home tonight, turn my B6 on. Watch it for a few mins and I start to notice that something looks off so I decide to see if I put it back on ISF night. All my picture settings for all modes are reset back to defaults. Wtf?

Theonik

hm, so both XE93 (+XE94) and XE90 are getting rave reviews... will this be the year when Sony gets it right? XE85 might end up good this year with VA panel, X1 processor and 100hz refresh. I might get interested when prices fall in 2-3 months... here in EE, OLED screens are simply way too expensive.
'The year Sony gets it right' seems to imply that they didn't have some of the best if not the best TVs in their respective classes for several years now Where they lagged behind was in value which the XE93 is not really changing.

LG Service is excellent from experience (had my B6 panel replaced).

KevinG

LG Service is excellent from experience (had my B6 panel replaced).

The OLEDs are part of some VIP customer service feature from LG.

I'm hoping that, come Monday, I have a working set.

The LG Specialist I made the appointment with said it sounded to him like I had a faulty power supply, but I don't know how that would be the case with how he vertical line shoots up the screen and then it immediately powers off.

This is what it does, but it's so quick that getting a picture is difficult:
AEsbzk3.jpg

And here's the small gap at the back:

UbCObxf.jpg

Top Bottom