• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

finalflame

What are your thoughts on why you consider it a game changer?

- Variable Refresh Rate
- Guaranteed support for HDR + Dynamic metadata
- 4K/60hz 4:4:4 10-bit

These are all things I'll use heavily if/when made available, being a PC gamer and seeing as I believe UHD-BR, which is the only way to get high quality UHD content, will continue to stick with HDR10 while DV will be a niche/streaming option.

I was still considering the A1E this year, but Smokey is right. If I'm dropping $4k on a TV, it's gonna be next year on an A2E or A1F that has HDMI2.1. I'll get a B6 to hold me over until then.

Dave_6

I was still considering the A1E this year, but Smokey is right. If I'm dropping $4k on a TV, it's gonna be next year on an A2E or A1F that has HDMI2.1. I'll get a B6 to hold me over until then.

Exactly what I did; picked up a 65" B6 over a month ago. Couldn't be any happier with it and it will easily hold me over until 2.1 is widespread and the OLEDs are even better.

KevinG

LG Technician will be at my house in the morning to official fix my B6. He called me as he was heading to pick up the display and chassis, power supply and such.

He's even coming like first thing in the morning, before 7:30 AM. I'm game for that.

I still haven't heard back from Adorama about compensation that they were going to offer me. Really wondering if me choosing this route means they've completely flaked on their customer service.

RootCause

- Variable Refresh Rate

These are all things I'll use heavily if/when made available, being a PC gamer and seeing as I believe UHD-BR, which is the only way to get high quality UHD content, will continue to stick with HDR10 while DB will be a niche/streaming option.

how long will it be until we get this?

KevinG

Adorama is offering me a $250 refund under the condition that they no longer would take it back for a full refund and all future issues with the TV would be done through LG.

With the LG Tech supposedly fixing my B6 tomorrow morning, I'll wait to respond until I see if things are working in the morning.

Not a terrible deal.

Yawnny

- Variable Refresh Rate

These are all things I'll use heavily if/when made available, being a PC gamer and seeing as I believe UHD-BR, which is the only way to get high quality UHD content, will continue to stick with HDR10 while DV will be a niche/streaming option.

Hm sounds like stuff I would like to hold off for. I likewise plan to be using the OLED I plan to purchase heavily for PC gaming.

What is an example of Dynamic Metadata?

finalflame

Hm sounds like stuff I would like to hold off for. I likewise plan to be using the OLED I plan to purchase heavily for PC gaming.

The best example would be to check out Dolby Vision vs. HDR10 comparison. Dynamic Metadata for HDR10 brings it in line with DV in that studios can determine the exact brightness/darkness parameters per frame, as opposed to have one static value for the entire film. This gives the creators more control over how the content is displayed and it'll be truer to their artistic vision/improved IQ overall.

But yah. I think if you're thinking of going BIG in OLED right now, it's worth it to get a holdover set and wait for HDMI2.1. That's what I'm doing.

Yawnny

What the hell is up with Canadian prices? Every review I see say's the 55 inch LG B6 is $2000 USD.. which translates to roughly 2664.10 CAD (as of today's exchange rate).. yet on Bestbuy.ca and Londondrugs.ca it's listed at $4000 CAD which is roughly $3005.00 US dollars.

Did prices go up on these because of the excitement and rave reviews? I thought if anything they would trickle down with the 2017 models on there way- unless that's going to happen in summer? Is there somewhere for us Canadians I should be keeping my eyes on to buy a B6?

Geneijin

HDR Demystified

Luminance and Chromaticity - Because of the
perceptual interaction of luminance and chromaticity,
when a lower dynamic range display rolls off the top
end of higher luminance content, that also affects the
chromaticity of brighter pixels, and both need to be
taken into account in a display’s color volume
mapping strategy.

For tone mapping and gamut mapping to be achieved
in the playback display, the display needs to be
informed by static metadata of the luminance and
chromaticity attributes of both the mastering display
and the content. These attributes are represented by
the static metadata fields that are defined in the
SMPTE ST2086 standard.

However, if color volume mapping is performed
without scene-by-scene content information, the
mapping will be based only on the brightest scene and
the widest gamut scene in the content. The majority
of the content will have greater compression of
dynamic range and color gamut than would be
necessary.

Dynamic metadata allows a compatible display to
map the content to a smaller color volume only as
needed, when the content exceeds the capability of the
playback display. The perception model can change
dynamically, based on the luminance and gamut
requirements of each scene.

Color volume mapping is more important the more
difference there is between the mastering display and
the playback display and will be an essential part of
the future proofing of HDR technology. It ensures
that playback displays that can do accurate mapping
will still show content well when mastering displays
are at or near the BT.2020 gamut limits, with many
thousands of nits.

- http://files.spectracal.com/Documents/White Papers/HDR_Demystified.pdf

wege12

Has anyone here had any experience buying OLEDs from ebuyusa?

Also, how well do OLEDs sell used? I'm just curious in case I want to upgrade sooner than my budget normally allows.

KevinG

Has anyone here had any experience buying OLEDs from ebuyusa?

Also, how well do OLEDs sell used? I'm just curious in case I want to upgrade sooner than my budget normally allows.

I've heard that you shouldn't buy from ebuyusa, only use them for credit card price protection deals.

KevinG

When all was said and done, I've got a B6 for $1150. Can't beat that.

N2xXo5e.jpg
0jWvIIg.jpg
r4bTof5.jpg

What the hell is up with Canadian prices? Every review I see say's the 55 inch LG B6 is $2000 USD.. which translates to roughly 2664.10 CAD (as of today's exchange rate).. yet on Bestbuy.ca and Londondrugs.ca it's listed at $4000 CAD which is roughly $3005.00 US dollars.

Did prices go up on these because of the excitement and rave reviews? I thought if anything they would trickle down with the 2017 models on there way- unless that's going to happen in summer? Is there somewhere for us Canadians I should be keeping my eyes on to buy a B6?

It's showing $2600 for me
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...t-tv-oled55b6p-titan-oled55b6p/10425941.aspx?

Adorama is offering me a $250 refund under the condition that they no longer would take it back for a full refund and all future issues with the TV would be done through LG.

With the LG Tech supposedly fixing my B6 tomorrow morning, I'll wait to respond until I see if things are working in the morning.

Not a terrible deal.

LG technician was, at least in my case, supremely helpful. Took awhile to set an appointment but once they showed up they fixed my bad banding pattern issue by popping on a new screen. Hope your problem gets fixed.

KevinG

Oh wow, yeah not hard to miss at all. Good on ya!

Good for you man. The wife must be happy!

Haha really happy for you.
Enjoy the heck out of it.

And you came in at your budget in the end haha.

Nice! What are those screens from?

We are watching Moana now. It's playing through the OG Xbox One bluray player, and I can tell it's not quite upscaling properly, by my daughter wasn't patient enough for me to mess with the settings. I'm assuming this would even look better through the PS4 Pro bluray player by default.

All that being said, movie still looks beautiful.

Dave:
Those are images from the LG NASA UHD display demo. I downloaded a bunch that were recommended to me by someone several pages back.

Yawnny

My goodness, it seemed to go on sale as of this morning. That's crazy. Too bad it's only on sale till March 23...Tax return is coming back end of April.. When reviews were saying it's $2000 usd, that was sale price they're referring to?

I keep thinking I should just wait till black Friday and watch the competition between the 2017 Sony sets drive prices down..

Yawnny

We are watching Moana now. It's playing through the OG Xbox One bluray player, and I can tell it's not quite upscaling properly, by my daughter wasn't patient enough for me to mess with the settings. I'm assuming this would even look better through the PS4 Pro bluray player by default.

All that being said, movie still looks beautiful.

Did the upscaling look a bit soft to you? Did it resemble how DVD looks on a good 1080P TV? I've still never seen an upscale that looks good but I have yet to see these LG OLED upscaling capabilities.

When I run 1080P games on my 4K Asus computer monitor they look a touch soft.. not nearly as good as native 1080P.

Does the upscale on the LG OLED actually look as good as if you were watching it on a 1080P TV?

KevinG

Did the upscaling look a bit soft to you? Did it resemble how DVD looks on a good 1080P TV? I've still never seen an upscale that looks good but I have yet to see these LG OLED upscaling capabilities.

When I run 1080P games on my 4K Asus computer monitor they look a touch soft.. not nearly as good as native 1080P.

Does the upscale on the LG OLED actually look as good as if you were watching it on a 1080P TV?
It's definitely soft, but I am confident that I just don't have the best viewing settings in place on the set.

I'll check back in later after calibration.

KevinG

I'm curious as well.
I played Moana on my PS4 Pro and it looked incredibly sharp.

I'm genuinely thinking that it's because it's running through the OG Xbox One.

I need to update my PS4 Pro and set it up with the B6 before I can test it.

Edit:

My Pro isn't automatically detecting my TV. Gotta break out he old one I think.

Edit 2:

Yeah, can't get the Pro to send a video signal through the HDMI. I'm getting sound.

KevinG

Most of this entire process of getting a TV has been me asking myself if I'd even notice these differences that make a huge difference for some people.

Yawnny

For a 55"?

Maybe not crazy, but 2K more than the LG?

I agree, seems like a bit much. Sony is known for there higher prices though aren't they? My Sony XBX-HX909 was touted as being great with it's use of (at the time) new tech of Full Array Local Dimming backlight.. but still more expensive than it's competitors for almost no reason..

KevinG

Glad it all worked out. Like I said, LG's support is terrific.

Really making me consider buying that extended warranty. Especially because my set has already been fixed.

Also, any good sub-$100 sound bar suggestions?

I want to utilize that $250 refund on filling in some of the gaps of the B6's shortcomings.

Yawnny

I'm curious as well.
I played Moana on my PS4 Pro and it looked incredibly sharp.

I've heard good things about the PS4 upscaling, although it does seem like peoples opinions seem to widely vary even when staring at the same picture. What looks good is quite subjective in nature so I always have a tough time predicting what to expect until I see it for myself.

It's not as bad as when you're trying to determine how a pair of speakers is going to sound, but TV is next up in that regards (in my mind anywhay).

I think I'm going to preorder the Planet Earth 2 4K HDR bluray set as sort of a tech demo. Are there any other blurays you guys would recommend? Thinking about getting Fantastic Beasts too. These 4K blurays aren't cheap though.

vpance

So people are hitting 2100+ nits on the Q7, but only in dynamic mode. Cut that in half if calibrated. I don't think the KS8000 was like that.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Oh I'm definitely in for PE2. It'll be my first UHD disc purchase.
Xbox One S isn't my ideal player, but I don't want to buy a dedicated player until Dolby Vision is on one of them (and not planned via update).

I've heard good things about the PS4 upscaling, although it does seem like peoples opinions seem to widely vary even when staring at the same picture. What looks good is quite subjective in nature so I always have a tough time predicting what to expect until I see it for myself.

It's not as bad as when you're trying to determine how a pair of speakers is going to sound, but TV is next up in that regards (in my mind anywhay).

That is true.

Top Bottom