• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Yawnny

Does one need a 4K capable receiver to pass 3840x2160 resolution from a PC to a 4K TV?

I wasn't sure if the signal coming from other sources like Blu Ray Player, Game Console, was different compared to coming out of your PC.

finalflame

Does one need a 4K capable receiver to pass 3840x2160 resolution from a PC to a 4K TV?

I wasn't sure if the signal coming from other sources like Blu Ray Player, Game Console, was different compared to coming out of your PC.

Yes, your receiver needs to support 4K for you to passthrough a 4K signal, doesn't matter the source.

I wonder if the B7/C7 will have the same 100/120hz capabilities @ 1080p as the W7?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I thought Adorama was authorized because of how much this thread advocated their reputability.

Stupid me for not doing my research.

That list doesn't even matter.
The warranty is good regardless of where you bought it. Surely you're not paying for the current repair service you're receiving no?

Yawnny

Quote from that LG Article:

Finally LG have made improvements to the input lag on their 2017 OLED TVs. Using a Leo Bodnar lag tester combined with an HDFury Integral and HDFury Linker were were able to test the SDR and HDR input lag in Game mode. Both the E7 and W7 delivered an input lag of just over 21ms, regardless of whether it was an SDR or HDR signal, which is great news for gamers.

Things are lookin' good for 2017 :)

Samsung Q7F, first TV I've ever seen on Rtings get 9.5 for 4K pic quality......

http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q7f

Don't forget:

We have contacted Samsung, and they say that our unit is out of spec due to the relatively low peak brightness measurements. We will continue to investigate and update the review as we obtain more information.

Update 3/10/2017. We've ordered another unit. We will test it, verify the results and update the review.

Don't forget:

We have contacted Samsung, and they say that our unit is out of spec due to the relatively low peak brightness measurements. We will continue to investigate and update the review as we obtain more information.

Update 3/10/2017. We've ordered another unit. We will test it, verify the results and update the review.

Yep true, but that will only affect peak brightness, if at all.

I have a feeling 2017 will be a weak year for Samsung, as far as quality sets go, not a FALD in sight either.

Lima

Yep true, but that will only affect peak brightness, if at all.

I have a feeling 2017 will be a weak year for Samsung, as far as quality sets go, not a FALD in sight either.

Yup. They are out of their minds with the asking price for the Q9. No matter how bright it might get. No one could get me to pay that much for an edge lit TV.

Yup. They are out of their minds with the asking price for the Q9. No matter how bright it might get. No one could get me to pay that much for an edge lit TV.

It's unbelievable, I just watched the local dimming test on the Q7, its par for the course for edge lit, until you see the big white ball enter the mix, bloody hell, its like kicking around a football on a dark misty night Lol, the Q9 is gonna have to pull off some kind of a miracle to get it in the realm of FALD performance, let alone OLED precision.

Such a superficial set of impressions, though :/

I'm holding myself back so hard to not put in an order for the 55" A1E, but I really want to see impressions and comparisons with the C7/B7 so I don't spend an extra $1.5k for no solid reason.

Not to put LG down, but the Sony and Panny will be better and will I'm sure represent the price tag, but the question is how much better.....

I'm just glad I bought my TV 4 months ago, I don't have to talk the Mrs into a £4K purchase :)

holygeesus

Banned
I've never been happier to be a B6 owner. I'm 100% satisfied with it and will be sitting out this gen but I would be having a mental time trying to pick a 2017 set. So much choice. I'd advise any potential buyer to wait for independent reviews. People reviewing these sets in test conditions cannot give an accurate impression of how they will perform in the home especially with SDR material.

Yawnny

Not to put LG down, but the Sony and Panny will be better and will I'm sure represent the price tag, but the question is how much better.....

I'm just glad I bought my TV 4 months ago, I don't have to talk the Mrs into a £4K purchase :)

If the LG C7's are as good as the impressions imply (for me looking for a 55") I think that will be a strong contender.

I think LG's monopoly over OLED is a thing of 2016. I have much faith in Sony especially after they wow'ed me with their XBR-HX909 and HX929 featuring the best full array local dimming backlight back in the day.

I just hope this drives prices down.. especially for us Canadians where the economy is a steaming dumpster fire.

Yawnny

I've never been happier to be a B6 owner. I'm 100% satisfied with it and will be sitting out this gen but I would be having a mental time trying to pick a 2017 set. So much choice. I'd advise any potential buyer to wait for independent reviews. People reviewing these sets in test conditions cannot give an accurate impression of how they will perform in the home especially with SDR material.

How was the input lag though?

holygeesus

Banned
Yeah wise move. They didn't change anything except for that number.

dude

I didn't say they hadn't improved, just not enough to justify the outlay. Motion is unchanged so I would be spunking out 3K minimum for improved shadow detail and 10% extra brightness.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Can we not pretend that 2016 OLED to 2017 OLED is some life altering upgrade?
These are top of the line TVs we're talking about in here. Everyone should be happy.

I'm sure the 2017 models from LG, Sony, and Panasonic will review very well and will garner top recommendations.
Just as the 2016 models from LG and Panasonic did.

Kyoufu

Can we not pretend that 2016 OLED to 2017 OLED is some life altering upgrade?
These are top of the line TVs we're talking about in here. Everyone should be happy.

I'm sure the 2017 models from LG, Sony, and Panasonic will review very well and will garner top recommendations.
Just as the 2016 models from LG and Panasonic did.

Yeah, no reason to upgrade from my E6 yet, especially when HDMI 2.1 is not too far off.

b0bbyJ03

I didn't say they hadn't improved, just not enough to justify the outlay. Motion is unchanged so I would be spunking out 3K minimum for improved shadow detail and 10% extra brightness.

i'm on the same boat. Couldn't be happier with my B6. I do understand there will be improvements but that will never ever change so it's not worth going nuts over small incremental upgrades. I'll upgrade in 4 years when they've perfected the near black issues, motion, hopefully have VRR, much higher peak brightness, and more coverage of the new bt2020 color spaces.

Jigolo

You guys know how recommended settings on sites always vary in white balance numbers because the panels always vary slightly. LG has a cool approach to this now for calibrating Dolby Vision HDR. The technical guy being interviewed at the end there is awesome btw, he explains how the TV pretty much gets the numbers for each specific panel. He's pretty cut and dry and gets to the point with no PR drivel. I remember their interview from last year I was shocked at how much information he provided.

https://youtu.be/sY8S9oQh0qo?t=7m1s

Here is last years interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIX2FoOaU7I

Remember guys they are listening. So if you'll want to see more improvements in the gaming aspect of the TVs let them know through forum posts and comments on these kinds of videos. Again we all know they will try to improve the picture for movies and TV use but they only started looking at gaming because of people like us getting their attention

21ms is very good but it could be better like under 1 frame of lag (16.67), I currently use a BenQ monitor for gaming and kinda regret it. I'm not a pro gamer or anything and YES, sure the input lag is fantastic at 10ms but there more negatives that outweigh the positives such as PQ, small size and features. If TVs start having 10-15ms input lag plus the benefits of having a beautiful display like LG is trying to do now, you get all the best stuff in a normal consumer TV. Still besides lowering the input lag further, the TV still doesn't display 4:4:4 chroma in game mode (only PC mode), that's something that should be added in there as well.

I mean if you feel the need to post stuff like this it's already very telling ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I've seen more than a few on this forum and on AVS. There really is no point in these kinds of posts.

KevinG

ELI5

Why should I care about a 4K set having HDMI 2.1? Will I deeply regret owning a 2016 set when HDMI 2.1 is "standard" next year?

BumRush

ELI5

Why should I care about a 4K set having HDMI 2.1? Will I deeply regret owning a 2016 set when HDMI 2.1 is "standard" next year?

Personally, I'm waiting for 2.1 (information on it in the OP), but the benefits of it are years off for the most part. I plan to use my 2018 TV for 4-5 years, but if you're someone that gets a new TV every 2-3 years there is absolutely no need to wait.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I mean if you feel the need to post stuff like this it's already very telling ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I've seen more than a few on this forum and on AVS. There really is no point in these kinds of posts.

What are you talking about?
Why would waiting for independent reviews and tests for prospective buyers be bad advice?

Of course "impressions" from a hands-off test at Sony HQ is essentially meaningless.

Jigolo

ELI5

ELI5? Well really it's up to you and your needs. The upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1 is bigger than from standard definition to HDMI 2.0 combined. But ultimately what matters is the content. We really don't know how many things will even support 2.1 in the next few years.

Here's a simple image that may be easier for you to visualize:

First came this:
hdmi_speed_375_248_s.jpg

Now this soon:
hdmi21pipe2.jpg

Jigolo

So you're not talking about the post you quoted and what he was stating.

Really just the first 2 sentences of that post. I've never seen so many 2016 OLED owners sooo happy with their purchase after seeing all of what 2017 has to offer. (not referring to just Sony TVs)

Personally I think it's great people are happy with their purchases.

ELI5

My feeling is that I don't want to be early adopter on this stuff--have to upgrade your cabling, receivers, no consoles that support the variable-refresh rate output, etc.. As such the '16 or a '17 are more exciting to me as they represent a more mature stack and hardware ecosystem.

finalflame

Really just the first 2 sentences of that post. I've never seen so many 2016 OLED owners sooo happy with their purchase after seeing all of what 2017 has to offer. (not referring to just Sony TVs)

Personally I think it's great people are happy with their purchases.

I know what you mean. Whenever an upgraded version of something comes out, people seem to find the need to re-state how happy they are with their purchases and how "incremental" the upgrade are, along with making other excuses on why adopting new tech isn't important, etc.

I think all is good as long as everyone is happy with what they have. I'm in a position where I sold my KS8000 ahead of my move and will soon need a new set for my new place, so If impressions show the A1E/C7's motion handling and IQ to be noticeably better than the B6/E6, I'll gladly spring the extra $ to get one of them. It's all going to come down to the hands-on reviews, though, as $3-4k isn't a trivial amount of money to spend on the eve of HDMI2.1 being released.

Top Bottom