• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 24 Hours of Le Mans 2015 |OT| Nissan enter the fray

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCRS

Banned
things have gone a little quiet after the initial action. looking forward to the night (if I can stay awake... I'm already tired...)

might order some pizza tbh

Bummer for the Toyota #1. Only one that looked to have enough pace to capitalize on Audi/Porsche problems, and now it's stuck in the garage.

Conceivable that the #2 could steal a podium if all hell breaks loose, but Toyota's slim chances of winning appear to be completely done.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Toyota is planning different engine for the next year - smaller, but with bigger hybrid part

Watevaman

Eek

notcool_by_watevaman-d8x5j9s.gif

dalin80

Banned
The hybrid part of the engine isnt working. This means they're essentially 400hp down on the leading LMP1 cars.

Even then they are slow, still racing at the back of the LMP2 field with the GT runners some 30s a lap off pace.

Despite Nissan stating the car would have 1250bhp while fully powered some at GTplanet have convinced themselves that it really has 1600 thanks to the hybrid system so is doing well despite being down over a thousand bhp. Erm.. No.

The hybrid part of the engine isnt working. This means they're essentially 400hp down on the leading LMP1 cars.
Weight distribution is all weird under braking, it's bouncing around like crazy. And it doesn't want to turn at all -- possibly due to the lack of hybrid power to the rear wheels, but also maybe just due to the half-baked nature of the car in general.

I expect they'll have it all figured out by the end of the year, but right now it's pretty painful. Was too soon to race it as anything more than a glorified garage 56 entry.

dalin80

Banned
All the porsches all losing time to the Audi's, they played this very well which you have to expect from Audi at this point they know how to win at lemans.

The looipop man is fine, the fuel guy causally standing around out on the pit apron almost on the pit lane needs a slap.

He has to be there because they're not allowed to refuel the car while they're doing other stuff like driver changes. I think the only thing they're allowed to do while refueling is clean the windshield. So they have to stand away from the car, everyone does that and I think it's where the press likes to hang around as well. Pretty stupid but there was more than just one person at fault there. Damn good driver though.

dalin80

Banned
Replay of the Nissan understeering out of it's box and clouting some cones, perfect. Also it seems to be baking it's front brakes so that must be lovely to drive!

Replay of the Nissan understeering out of it's box and clouting some cones, perfect. Also it seems to be baking it's front brakes so that must be lovely to drive!
It's clearly not ready. Still can't figure out why they brought 3, surely 2 would be adequate for any data gathering purposes...

#7 Audi team is too damn strong.

dalin80

Banned
It's clearly not ready. Still can't figure out why they brought 3, surely 2 would be adequate for any data gathering purposes...

#7 Audi team is too damn strong.

Clearly, it's very embarrassing especially given the PR and ad money they have put into it but after 6 hours all 3 are still running, if they can get a couple to the end even though they could be some 50 laps down that's something to take away from the race.

mmm can't wait for the brake glow shots

it's getting to be that time of the night

540715.gif

That, plus sunrise and overall sound (honestly I wish it was possible to get 5.1 Dolby/HD audio of the race live) are some of my favorite things of Le Mans besides the competition itself. Unf.

dalin80

Banned
dang, i had high hopes for those Nissan P1 cars. Is the hybrid system not working on all their cars?

They couldn't get it working properly at all so no hybrid power (but still have to carry the equipment) on any car. Makes them the first front wheel drive runners since the mini marcos I believe. They are losing some 30s a lap and are back at the P2 field.

It would seem they may have to do 3 brake changes this race.

The GT-Rs are little more than mobile chicanes at this point, but given that the car never turned a lap in anger until this weekend, I don't think you could reasonably expect anything else.

They're out there grinding out laps on one of the biggest stages in motorsport, so props to them.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Toyota just said on german eurosport that they aim for the 8mj class with the ts050 next year and will go with a battery instead of the super capacitator. and obviously a smaller engine.

LoveCake

I have the feeling that the Nissan NISMO's are going to get so badly beaten that they may not return, the DeltaWing was better than this :(

What went wrong with the Hybrid system, that's what i want to know, they should have raced at Silverstone or Spa as a shakedown, you cannot come to LeMans to test the car, on EuroSport the coverage is sponsored by Nissan bring a new technology but they are miles behind, there isn't a way they can put a good spin on this showing at all.

I don't want to be a downer :( but i wanted them to do well, so disappointing :(

HEROIC ATTEMPTS BY MOTOYAMA TO GET FANS' FAVOURITE - NISSAN DELTAWING - BACK ON TRACK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom