• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Acolyte premieres June 4th on Disney+

Holy shit that ratio:

RrIzfga.png
This is why Youtube started hiding thumbs down BTW

It's literally because people were down voting woke things

FunkMiller

If the Sequel Trilogy didn’t kill Star Wars for any fan, I’m convinced nothing will. If you still love the IP after half of the retarded shit that occurred with those movies, you’re locked in to the very end. You’re ride or die.

Very true. If you haven't moved away from what they are doing already, I doubt The Acolyte is going to convince you to do so now. See also: Doctor Who/ Star Trek.

Stitch

Gold Member
The Holiday Special, the Ewok movies + TV Show, the Prequel Trilogy and the retarded Expanded Universe (now Legends) didn't kill Star Wars 🤷‍♂️

PanzerAzel

Tired of this shit, honestly. I‘ve no problem with equality and diversity, but Disney is so blatantly and unashamedly on the nose in their feminist agenda with this IP, that it’s laughably fourth wall breaking, and I find myself incapable of allowing my suspension of disbelief to let me sit with and enjoy the fiction.

It’s not my “bigotry”, “sexism“ or “misogyny“, if the characters had sabers with “girl power!” engraved on the hilts, it honestly would not be at all out of place. It is beyond ridiculous how explicitly forced KK’s ideological slant permeates this property, and I’ve no interest whatsoever.

simpatico

If the Sequel Trilogy didn’t kill Star Wars for any fan, I’m convinced nothing will. If you still love the IP after half of the retarded shit that occurred with those movies, you’re locked in to the very end. You’re ride or die.
Agree. Anyone still enjoying Star Wars will take any wet, corn filled shit Disney serves them.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
This was my most anticipated Star Wars series. I was hoping for something that would look like the prequel trilogy and maybe introduce Darth Plagueis.

It's so unfortunate this looks like utter dog crap and I feel a little bad saying that because I do like Carrie Anne Moss.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Gold Member
This was my most anticipated Star Wars series. I was hoping for something that would look like the prequel trilogy and maybe introduce Darth Plagueis.

It's so unfortunate this looks like utter dog crap and I feel a little bad saying that because I do like Carrie Anne Moss.
I won't refer to the quality (as I also have some concerns of my own), but it's apparently inspired by prequels and set about 100 years before Phantom Menace so Plagueis is probably not yet alive / active. Out of the known characters, I think only ones who could appear are Yoda and some lesser known Jedi, majority of the cast will be brand new characters or ones introduced in High Republic books

Mitsurux

When you just look at some of the bullet point for the show, it sounds pretty cool. Set in the well in past, new characters, mystery etc. Then the trailer was sorta meh, almost seemed like some sort of fan made project. Then the interviews with cast and crew...and again meh. Now we are starting to get impressions from people who have seen the first 4 episodes, and (while they are under NDA's) what they can say has has been rather...eh. "I Have Bad feeling about this". I may give it a try but I just don't know.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
So much clickbait these days it's hard to trust anything, but yeah, some of these advance previews are sounding the alarms loudly.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Isn't this story set in High Republic. It's dogshit lazy setting that they created to not be bound to any semblance of quality from the original material.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Isn't this story set in High Republic. It's dogshit lazy setting that they created to not be bound to any semblance of quality from the original material.
Any genuine lore building is good, but all the previews are saying that this is the opposite. They specifically were instructed to ignore any existing Star Wars elements, and hire people that know nothing about it.

Just off the top of my head, High Republic could be more interesting if you want to delve into advancements within the Jedi Order itself. More complex and interesting training, more complex and interesting light saber fighting styles, more complex powers. This is basically their peak, and a ton of it is lost after that. That could be interesting, but I doubt they have any clue what to do with it.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
They specifically were instructed to ignore any existing Star Wars elements, and hire people that know nothing about it.
I'm absolutely so sick of this shit. Hiring people who are not fans and who know little to nothing about the IP is why we get so much garbage. At least it's one reason.

The German role playing game Das Schwarze Auge is actually owned and operated by actual fans who truly care about the source material.

Why can't we have that with our existing IPs?

Ulysses 31

I'm now kinda curious to hear the point he was trying to make, some sort of moral equivalency with "anakin blew up the death star" in relation to something in The Acolyte?

I also acknowledge that for most sub-30 (40?) year olds the OG Star Wars are some ancient movies they may have sorta watched once, but the key parts are so incorporated into popular culture there is really no need to actually see the OG films to be able to watch the PT or ST and enjoy them.

My kids, for example, can describe a LOT of Star Wars lore despite not seeing the films themselves much, but through Clone Wars, Mando, etc or a game. So entirely possible this guy thinks anakin DID blow up the Death Star (he may even know where were TWO DSs) as a semi-remembered bit from the OT but has seen the ST, mando, and Book of Fett a half dozen time sand considers himself a legit Star Wars fan.

The guy's a clown with his SW moral relativism takes.

‘The Acolyte’ Actor Charlie Barnett Says “The Best Parts About Star Wars Is There Is No Good Or Evil, Depends On What Side You’re Standing On”​

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Really choice quotes in this NYT article from a few days ago:

Amandla Stenberg stars as a dreadlocked warrior who has a complicated relationship with a Jedi master played by Lee Jung-jae from “Squid Game,” in his first English-speaking role. Jodie Turner-Smith (“Queen & Slim”) plays the lesbian leader of a regal coven of witches, while the Filipino-Canadian actor Manny Jacinto (“The Good Place”) appears as a shadowy trader. In one of her most action-oriented roles since “The Matrix,” Carrie-Anne Moss plays a steely Jedi named Master Indara.

The only character in “The Acolyte” that previously existed anywhere in the franchise is a Jedi Master from novels named Vernestra Rwoh. (Headland cast her wife, Rebecca Henderson, in the role, giving her a lightsaber that can transform into a whip.)
Chick
Lame
Gay

“She asked me what I knew about ‘Star Wars,’ and my answer was, ‘Harrison Ford runs around space with a giant dog?’” Bioh recalled, laughing. “And Leslye said, ‘You’re hired.’”

But a loud, primordial part of the “Star Wars” fandom has pushed back in predictable fashion.
It is a version of the same misogyny and racism that greeted Rey, the female Jedi (played by Daisy Ridley) who made her debut in “The Force Awakens” in 2015, and that drove Kelly Marie Tran off social media when she appeared in “The Last Jedi” (2017). Kathleen Kennedy, who runs Lucasfilm, has also experienced it, with “South Park” harshly attacking her in an episode last year. The cartoon depicted Kennedy giving the same feedback to “Star Wars” creators over and over: “Put a chick in it! Make her lame and gay!”

Romulus

After watching fallout I'm not sure how this will measure up. Even though that show had its share of problems, it at least felt like a passion project. These star wars TV series feel like a producer had a great idea, then they hire some woke pink haired liberal with an agenda to direct it. Wash and repeat. Souless bullshit with a star wars paintjob.

FunkMiller

I guess this show will be the ultimate test of whether the core Star Wars audience is willing to stay with the franchise, now that's its consciously moving away from them. Do people have enough critical faculty and self control to stop watching, or will they continue to be mindless sheep, moaning and complaining... but never actually stopping from watching it?

Top Bottom