• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Acolyte premieres June 4th on Disney+

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I'm only interested in this for the youtube reviews from the likes of Nerdrotic and The Critical Drinker.

Then you’re just as bad as the people on ResetEra who will only listen to their own stupid echo chamber. And you’re too dumb to see you’re being manipulated just so they can get more clicks and make money.

For fuck’s sake people, exercise a little intelligence, and make sure you consume reviews and opinions from a broader cross section. And try your hardest not to just listen to amateurs who care more about their bottom line than they do honest opinions.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This thread going from "why does Disney keep making this fucking garbage" to "I can't wait to watch this fucking garbage" is giving me whiplash.

giphy.gif

I will never understand the mentality of ‘I hate this, but I’ll keep watching it to make sure they make more of it’.

Just watch something else, you FOMO idiots.

I cant with these Disneyfied script in all these fantasy shows for the general audience. Been watching Outer Range and you can feel the dialogue was made for adults with actors acting their asses off even when the plot gets unacessary weird. 10 minutes of Acolyte and I just wanna look at my phone again. Heres hoping The Boys and House of the Dragon dont miss a step.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
So what's the big revelation?
There was none. They’re idiots. They were crying about the Force Witches which they wrongfully claimed were invented in Ahsoka last year. They’ve been in Star Wars since 1994 and they even made the love interest in the two Jedi games one. They were created in the EU in the 90s and were in games (you could fight them in SWG), and then GEORGE LUCAS made them canon in 2011 by putting them in Clone Wars and deciding that Darth Maul was a male from their planet (Dathomir). They've been in games since (the Jedi games) and their live action debut was officially in Ahsoka (although a character revealed to be a Nightsister debuted in Mando).

Saw someone on Reddit point out they even had one in the old Ewok movies before they called them Nightsisters.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
There was none. They’re idiots. They were crying about the Force Witches which they wrongfully claimed were invented in Ahsoka last year. They’ve been in Star Wars since 1994 and they even made the love interest in the two Jedi games one. They were created in the EU in the 90s and were in games (you could fight them in SWG), and then GEORGE LUCAS made them canon in 2011 by putting them in Clone Wars and deciding that Darth Maul was a male from their planet (Dathomir). They've been in games since (the Jedi games) and their live action debut was officially in Ahsoka (although a character revealed to be a Nightsister debuted in Mando).

Saw someone on Reddit point out they even had one in the old Ewok movies before they called them Nightsisters.

I find all this modern Star Wars stuff to be utter shit, and very tiresome. But I find the ragebait culture that's grown up around it to be equally tiresome. It almost feels like one is deliberately feeding the other....

Trilobit

Gold Member
The female twin-girl has a great physicality and she does good in her fighting scenes(especially compared to the live-action Ahsoka actress who moves in slow motion). That's the only good thing I have to say about the show right now.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I find all this modern Star Wars stuff to be utter shit, and very tiresome. But I find the ragebait culture that's grown up around it to be equally tiresome. It almost feels like one is deliberately feeding the other....
Here’s how bad they are:

The Rolling Stone reviewer who hated Andor broke embargo with their Acolyte review. Because they broke the embargo they had to pull the review until the embargo lifted (only a few hours).

In that time the rage bait channels made up conspiracy videos about how evil Disney forced Rolling Stone to scrub their bad review from the internet.

Did they take down their video when the review was posted at the correct time? Of course not, they’re continuing to spread their bullshit lie for rage views even though it’s completely false.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Then you’re just as bad as the people on ResetEra who will only listen to their own stupid echo chamber. And you’re too dumb to see you’re being manipulated just so they can get more clicks and make money.

For fuck’s sake people, exercise a little intelligence, and make sure you consume reviews and opinions from a broader cross section. And try your hardest not to just listen to amateurs who care more about their bottom line than they do honest opinions.
I can't help if they typically produce content that is more entertaining than the material they're reviewing.

And I'm well aware of their spin when its comes to Disney. As much as they shit on Disney, they need them just as bad to survive.

Do I need an approved list of critics to listen to since these guys are amateurs? Like who, Disney approved media?

Why are you so angry that people in here aren't liking The Acolyte?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I can't help if they typically produce content that is more entertaining than the material they're reviewing.

And I'm well aware of their spin when its comes to Disney. As much as they shit on Disney, they need them just as bad to survive.

Do I need an approved list of critics to listen to since these guys are amateurs? Like who, Disney approved media?

Why are you so angry that people in here aren't liking The Acolyte?

Me: "Try to have a broad range of opinion, instead of just concentrating on a few obvious clickbait artists."

You: "WHy aRE YOu SO aNGrY PeOPLe DoNt LiKE DISNeY?'

Obama Reaction GIF

The Acolyte is no doubt more Disney slop made for the masses, but that doesn't mean you should just listen to dickheads like Nerdrotic.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Banned

You are framing this in bad faith. This isn’t the 90’s anymore, you can’t just expect reviewers to be objective. I used to watch 200 movies a year plus TV back in the day, and read movie reviews in the newspaper.

This year I have only watched 2 movies. The whole industry can sink for all I care, reviewers included. However, at the edge of my consciousness, a belief has arisen, “The Critical Drinker is usually right.” If it looks good and he says it is good, it is probably good. If someone in real life or on a forum recommends a film I might check it out.

AJUMP23

I thought the first 2 episodes were fair. I do feel like no one at Disney really understands the force, they just think it is some sort of magic.

My only real complaint was the Jedi had captured the escaped convicts for a second time before the main character that were on the same ship woke up from the crash.

I heard there was a fat Jedi?
yes there is a hefty boy Jedi.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

Yeah it does seem like the rage clicks ran in front of their tail a bit this time. I'm not watching the show, but I did just finish Jedi Survivor and that obviously has a Night Witch main character. The whole game is related to High Republic also so they clearly were coordinating with Disney. I'm not really into the Night Sister stuff, but she had some cool action scenes that had a lot of spectacle to it.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Yeah it does seem like the rage clicks ran in front of their tail a bit this time. I'm not watching the show, but I did just finish Jedi Survivor and that obviously has a Night Witch main character. The whole game is related to High Republic also so they clearly were coordinating with Disney. I'm not really into the Night Sister stuff, but she had some cool action scenes that had a lot of spectacle to it.
The Nightsister in Jedi Survivor was also in Fallen Order, which has nothing to do with the High Republic. They’ve been a part of Star Wars forever.

Dazraell

Gold Member
I've watched the first episode and half of the second one, will finish it later today

It's mediocre as hell, but it isn't a complete disaster. The premise is kinda boring and none of the characters were particularly memorable. Squid Game guy has some potential, but his behavior is full of boring tropes. Visuals weren't that bad though, you can feel some inspirations with the prequels. There are some scenes that even gives Phantom Menace vibes and in a quite positive way. I also liked how they made High Republic Jedi robes, they look good in gold and white

I won't post any spoilers, but one thing I also disliked was how heavily they were promoting a certain character in the show, but their role and what happened with that character doesn't imply their presence will be larger, which is a shame

I heard there was a fat Jedi?
Yep, fat boi is in episode 2

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
it's a new star wars show so ill be watching it and making my own mind up but i am looking forward to critical drinkers no doubt scathing take down

Punished Miku

The Nightsister in Jedi Survivor was also in Fallen Order, which has nothing to do with the High Republic. They’ve been a part of Star Wars forever.
I'm aware. And if you read my post I didn't claim it had to do with HR. I said the whole game is related to HR and it's clearly coordinated with Disney as their new focus.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I'm aware. And if you read my post I didn't claim it had to do with HR. I said the whole game is related to HR and it's clearly coordinated with Disney as their new focus.
There’s no “coordination with Disney” Lucasfilm makes Star Wars. The whole point of the High Republic was people complaining about everything being set around the Skywalker era. Then they make something set hundreds of years before and people cry that there are no Skywalker.

Punished Miku

There’s no “coordination with Disney” Lucasfilm makes Star Wars. The whole point of the High Republic was people complaining about everything being set around the Skywalker era. Then they make something set hundreds of years before and people cry that there are no Skywalker.
Of course they coordinate with Disney. They have a whole new line of HR books, a show, and a game about it. They are heavily involved in reviewing anything in the games. Disney owns Lucasfilm. You seem to want to just pick apart shit to argue when you're not even right.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Of course they coordinate with Disney. They have a whole new line of HR books, a show, and a game about it. They are heavily involved in reviewing anything in the games. Disney owns Lucasfilm. You seem to want to just pick apart shit to argue when you're not even right.
They don’t go through Disney. It’s all through Filoni. He’s the Chief Creative Officer of Lucasfilm now and runs Star Wars.

Punished Miku

They don’t go through Disney. It’s all through Filoni. He’s the Chief Creative Officer of Lucasfilm now and runs Star Wars.
Sure that's fine. Disney and Lucasfilm are shorthand references to the same thing. They are all owned by Disney. I am not claiming Bob Iger is personally giving direction on plot points for Jedi Survivor, but I think everyone knew what I meant.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Sure that's fine. Disney and Lucasfilm are shorthand references to the same thing. They are all owned by Disney. I am not claiming Bob Iger is personally giving direction on plot points for Jedi Survivor, but I think everyone knew what I meant.
No you were implying they were running Star Wars stuff through some nameless entity at “Disney”. It’s no different than the rage bait idiots who still claim Kathleen Kennedy is running everything Star Wars, when people have no clue on the organizational structure and just want to attack “the woman”.

Filoni has been running Star Wars for a couple of years since he was promoted. He was George’s Padawan and the closest thing you’ll ever get to George being back.

KK runs Lucasfilm and signs the checks. Filoni plans what they want to do in Star Wars and takes it to her to be greenlit. That’s why Favreau gets to make the next Star Wars movie that they’re starting film in a couple of months. Then Filoni gets his after Ahsoka S2.

He’s only really doing S2 because people were asking for it. He said he only needed to do S1 because he needed Ezra and Thrawn back for his movie.

Punished Miku

No you were implying they were running Star Wars stuff through some nameless entity at “Disney”. It’s no different than the rage bait idiots who still claim Kathleen Kennedy is running everything Star Wars, when people have no clue on the organizational structure and just want to attack “the woman”.
Well that at least explains your bizarre hostility. Unfortunately you're once again completely wrong. I'm literally just referring to Disney since they own it. I know why I said it, not you. Take your anger out on someone else.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I get it. Star Wars was never science fiction, it was always fantasy.

A giant space station exploding and quickly burning all the air that was inside isn’t the same as a small sustained fire.

This looks cheap and stupid but I know you have to defend it.
People making scientific nitpicks in a franchise with space wizards, laser swords, and Muppets are the definition of disingenuous.

Kilau

People making scientific nitpicks in a franchise with space wizards, laser swords, and Muppets are the definition of disingenuous.
I’ve heard for years the nitpicks about space explosions in Star Wars. The super star destroyer in returns always looked stupid to me.

This just looks very stupid and cheap as an effect.

Kilau

It was pulled into the gravitational force of the deathstar not falling out of space into the deathstar. And the Super Star Destroyer was cool.

The effect was bad, obvious set effect to me even as a kid. Still, there was a ton of magic oxygen between the ship and Death Star to cause a magic space fire to flare up.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Seems like what the YouTube grifters are really angry about besides not knowing about the Nightsisters is this:

This is around the time of Plagueis and it’s hinted that the lead Nightsister witch manipulated the midichlorians with the Force to create her twins, like how Sidious created Anakin. So they think it cheapens their hero Anakin. But if the Force Witches were doing that around the time of Plagueis it makes sense for the Sith to try the same thing as well.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Seems like what the YouTube grifters are really angry about besides not knowing about the Nightsisters is this:

This is around the time of Plagueis and it’s hinted that the lead Nightsister witch manipulated the midichlorians with the Force to create her twins, like how Sidious created Anakin. So they think it cheapens their hero Anakin. But if the Force Witches were doing that around the time of Plagueis it makes sense for the Sith to try the same thing as well.

I love how one of the absolute dumbest things in Star Wars - the midichlorians - are now being argued over like they are sacrosanct :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I love how one of the absolute dumbest things in Star Wars - the midichlorians - are now being argued over like they are sacrosanct :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The Force is ruined FOREVER.

Don’t tell these idiots what George planned on making Leia the chosen one (not Anakin) in his EpIX.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

What do you expect when his corporate overlords demand he try and silence any criticism about the Mouse and his subordinates?

Top Bottom