• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Alt-Right Has Its Own Comedy TV Show On A Time Warner Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesousa

Banned
Wow I found the one China IL fan!

Can't forget about Delocated! Man I miss that show, Neon Joe is funny but it's just not as good.

But I agree, Abso Lutely is truly the golden goose of AS.

git git git git git

China IL is a brilliant, brilliant show if you give it a chance. The humor takes a second to get if you never watched the Brad Neely shorts on youtube, but once you get it the experience stays with you lol.

Seik

Banned
I'm expecting South Park to go hard against the alt-right next season. Really looking forward to it.

I expect them to do something like Cartman X Trump where Cartman will see Trump as an Idol or something like that because he's rich, against minorities and no matter how wrong he can be he'll be right in his own reality.

He'll have his own toupet and they both will be BFF or something like that.

Thinking about it, Trump really is a good fitting as a real-life Cartman, except that he 'succeeded' in life, money-wise. Cartman kinda rolls with the same kind of ideology though, making money off the poors, like that cash4gold episode where he starts to sell jewelry to elders lacking judgement, and that's just one of many examples. :lol

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Pretty much, it's not that difficult to see where the idea of South Park being alt-right comes from after last season.

Other than the "both sides are the same" bullshit, before that they really tried to be their own.

Clinton will, pending something unknown, easily coast to reelection. Look at her favorability numbers over the last couple of decades, match it with when she is in office, and judge yourself.
I'm going to ignore the rest of the insanity of your post.

LOL, ok, im sure you are correct. Continue to treat moderates and people with slightly different opinions like shit by lumping them into the Alt-Right and claiming they are racist, etc.

What are you even talking about?

I just...WHAT?

I am quite clear with what I am talking about.

locustlx

So that's what happens when a journalist is terrible at their job. Seriously that phone interview was so sad, on both ends. You can tell the reporter is disinterested in what he was covering so he failed to ask any follow-up questions or press Sam on any of his stalling tactics. You can also see that Sam is dissappointed in the fact that this graduate school reporter is taking the easy way out with this interview. Shamefu show on both sides to be honest but if that journalist had done just a tiny bit more actual research on Sam Hyde, he would have realized his trollish behavior and would have prepared some better questions. Instead of just asking "why did you post this on reddit/why did you post this on twiter"

From the very get-go, you can tell that reporter already had this hit piece prepared and was merely just hoping to affirm (or maybe even add) some of Sam's "controversial alt-right" views. When Sam didn't give him anything to work with, the journalist decided to run the story anyway because he knew it would give him page clicks and a tiny bit of ad revenue.

If you look at the story itself there is only one direct quote from Sam Hyde, himself. Here it is:

Reached via phone, Hyde attributed all of the tweets and Reddit posts to “his assistant.” Asked if he was a member of the alt-right, Hyde responded with a question: “Is that some sort of indie book store?”

Like the show may not be the best adult swim show, but it sure as shit is not this platform for spewing hate-filled rhetoric that this Buzzfeed reporter seems to imply. It merely takes conservative values and stretches them out with "semi-logical" proofs in an effort to get people to agree/laugh at their jokes.

It's hillarious to me that a show like The Heart, She Holler didn't get any of this press because it tackled some of the same issues but wrapped it in a layer of "all of these people are dumb"

TL,DR: It's a comedy show on Adult Swim that sometimes hits/sometimes misses its mark.

mclem

The most recent episode of the show opened with Hyde, in blackface, speaking in exaggerated black vernacular for three minutes.

The Alt and Right Minstrel Show?

At least, it sounds like something that should have been left in the fifties.

MoeDabs

Don't forget calling people fags totally isn't homophobic at all! They aren't alt-right, they are just rich libertarians who think they are better than everyone.

While I think they missed the mark on that episode, that really wasn't what they were trying to say.

Leunam

LOL, ok, im sure you are correct. Continue to treat moderates and people with slightly different opinions like shit by lumping them into the Alt-Right and claiming they are racist, etc.

I'd love to hear what these slightly different opinions are. Seriously. I want to know what positions people on the left are supposedly shitting on and labeling others racist for having. I think it would be good if everyone got some perspective here.

I'm not being facetious, I sincerely want to know.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Only my tastes matter.

So, what people can have content made for them and who gets to decide what that is? I need to know this so I can adjust my personal beliefs to be inline with societies predefined norms. The bible used to decide these things so its gotten kind of confusing. Is there a PC divine being?

The alt left sounds more and more like the religious right every day.

"Ban thing that doesn't follow the PC narrative" is pretty close to "Ban thing that doesn't follow Religious narrative".

To clarify I don't think this show is in good taste but if it makes money then more power to them. I will just ignore the filth like a normal person.

Let the market and population decide what is acceptable through ratings and viewership.

Oh yeah, of course, not doing blackface is basically a religion.

wtf

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Only my tastes matter.
That is not at all what I said.
So, what people can have content made for them and who gets to decide what that is? I need to know this so I can adjust my personal beliefs to be inline with societies predefined norms. The bible used to decide these things so its gotten kind of confusing. Is there a PC divine being?
What? Who's talking about political correctness? I wasn't. I was talking about the alt-right movement ( you know, the racist, bigoted, anti-woman, conspiracy-laden movement that spawned from and / or is related to other movements like the vile harassment campaigns of GamerGate ) and how I believe that such an audience is not worth serving by giving them a television show. They do not deserve that platform. I do not think that they should be placated to as an audience because their movement is actually harmful. I also think climate change deniers should not be given a platform with actual scientists. These fringe anti-reality movements ( climate change deniers / gamergate / alt-right / anti-vaxxers / Sandy Hook truthers / etc. ) are actually harmful and giving them a platform to spread their influence from is dangerous. That has nothing to do with 'political correctness'.

Different viewpoints are great n all, but racism / anti-woman viewpoints / harrassment campaigns and anti-reality / anti-science viewpoints are not viewpoints that should be encouraged.
Alt left? Do you mean "No, you!"?
"Ban thing that doesn't follow the PC narrative" is pretty close to "Ban thing that doesn't follow Religious narrative".
Ban what? Have them build their own platform if they want to instead of legitimizing their views by giving them a spot on an existing platform. And how is being against a racist, bigoted harassment campaign the same as being a religious extremist?
To clarify I don't think this show is in good taste but if it makes money then more power to them. I will just ignore the filth like a normal person.
Hey, more power to you! I'm fine with ignoring filth too, but I don't think this specific type of filth should be given a prominent platform.

And again; this has nothing to do with 'political correctness' or certain types of humor, this has to specifically do with the movement related to this show. I'm not condemning people who like these kinds of shows, but I do think it gives the wrong people a platform to exert their influence from.

Nudull

Banned
Only my tastes matter.

Let the market and population decide what is acceptable through ratings and viewership.

Projecting much?

sensui-tomo

This on the same channel as a show as progressive as Steven Universe. Christ.

Doesnt mean much when you look into what the creator drew on the internet before her show was made. (ps Dont look into what she drew since its not appropriate in any circumstance ever ...and its so nsfw you'll 99% loose your job, reputation and anything else important)

Cels

i think it was late at night and i was at a friend's place just flipping through channels and we watched an episode now knowing anything about it going in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCb3cP1Q20

i thought it was weird and funny in some parts but nothing particularly offensive compared to other things on adult swim and i didn't really get a sense that these guys were part of the alt-right

"do i cheat? no i don't cheat."
(2 seconds later) "i'm gonna be honest, when it wasn't going good, i did cheat."

"it always works better just to omit certain details. withhold truth."
"what if i told you that was my plan on picking up a woman?"

they have these random clips of completely bonkers shit interspersed in the show too. the end of that episode is a boss yelling at his employees for no good reason.

don't plan to go out of my way to watch any more episodes, not really to my taste

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I'd love to hear what these slightly different opinions are. Seriously. I want to know what positions people on the left are supposedly shitting on and labeling others racist for having. I think it would be good if everyone got some perspective here.

I'm not being facetious, I sincerely want to know.

Check out the U of Chicago thread and the safe space comments. How about South Park being Alt Right, or the idea if you share any opinion that the Alt Right does then you are alt right no matter the context?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Check out the U of Chicago thread and the safe space comments. How about South Park being Alt Right, or the idea if you share any opinion that the Alt Right does then you are alt right no matter the context?

Nah, South Park isn't alt right. It says dumb shit, but it isn't alt right.

But the alt right sure do love South Park.

The best thing about the phrase "alt-right" is that we are thankfully running it into the ground at record speed. I give it a week before it's as entirely useless and has as many wildly varying definitions as sjw.

Climate change isn't real

It's edgy and cool to be racist

PC culture is destroying the fabric of our society

Maybe not alt-right, but they sure are pretty right-winged/conservative

None of those things actually happened, lol. They not only never said climate change isn't real, throughout the most recent season they actually never said that being politically correct was a bad thing. They merely mocked the rhetoric.

If you think daring to poke fun at popular rhetoric is off limits, at least call it for what it is instead of being so desperate for a point to make that you set up strawmen.

Matt

I am quite clear with what I am talking about.
Except nothing you are saying has any resemblance to the reality of current American politics. The Democratic tent hasn't been getting smaller, and the Republican Party has been moving more and more rightward for the past 30+ years.

If there is a real assault on moderates, it hasn't been coming from the Dems.

kess

Yeah, fuck nuance. Anyone who isn't "us" is "them"

I just provided an explanation that stated that opposition to Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump are not related, despite some overlap that may have occured among some supporters (and motives of the opponents). Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump clearly do not have the same goals as each other despite running against the same person, especially in light of Sanders's endorsement and concession at the convention.

The Presidential election is for all intents and purposes a binary choice.

DarkKyo

Yeah. Historically the show has tried to paint itself as the king of braindead centrism. But when you dedicate an entire season to "political correctness run amok!", it's hard not to come to new conclusions about about where the show leans.

When Matt and Trey were our age, being nice to each other was all that was needed. It's different now. Respect and love for your fellow man isn't enough, now you need to be hyper sensitive not to(intentionally or not) offend anyones beliefs or interests. They were poking fun at the hyper militant PC folks, not defending bigots. You know, the type of people that have to come up with and enforce a bunch of terms/rules because they can't handle any offense(accidental or intentional) or criticism(whether it be constructive or not). I don't think they are nearly as sinister as you think they are(even if some alt-right people try to co-opt that idea and take it to the extreme).

SaviourMK2

You know what

53239-jerry-seinfeld-Im-out-gif-0qdn.gif

Are we seriously doing this, people?

Are we seriously?
Well, it was a more exciting way of saying "don't fall into the trap of thinking that everyone is either with us or against us."

South Park and World Peace are different. South park is a show that shits on everything and anyone and has been on the air for years. World Peace seems to be another crappy Adult Swim show that won't last for any meaningful length of time, and caters to loser mentalities, because there's money to be made off of them.

They're both to the right of where most of us on NeoGAF sit, but that doesn't make them the same. I also lean hard into the left. I believe in the concepts of social and economic equality. I just don't see how othering anyone who isn't sitting next to me politically helps.

Crocodile

Adult Swim is more of less just Toonami for me and I make an active effort to avoid most of their other original programming. I had no idea this was even on the air. Considering shit like Mr. Pickles can get on there I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Bad form AS :/

Nudull

Banned
When Matt and Trey were our age, being nice to each other was all that was needed. It's different now. Respect and love for your fellow man isn't enough, now you need to be hyper sensitive not to(intentionally or not) offend anyones beliefs or interests. They were poking fun at the hyper militant PC folks, not defending bigots. You know, the type of people that have to come up with and enforce a bunch of terms/rules because they can't handle any offense(accidental or intentional) or criticism(whether it be constructive or not). I don't think they are nearly as sinister as you think they are(even if some alt-right people try to co-opt that idea and take it to the extreme).

Don't you think the fact that alt-righters are nodding their heads along with South Park is an issue?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Except nothing you are saying has any resemblance to the reality of current American politics. The Democratic tent hasn't been getting smaller, and the Republican Party has been moving more and more rightward for the past 30+ years.

If there is a real assault on moderates, it hasn't been coming from the Dems.

This culture war is just about to boil over, its effects haven't really been recorded yet. They will during Hilary's first term. Going with the McCarthyism angle could very well ostracize many people caught in the cross fire. Its just not a good look and I fear it could lose votes in the future not because people become less liberal but because the Dems fall victim to the regressive lefts us vs them mentality.

We should be educating, changing minds, and reaching out to others. Not sitting comfortably in our glass houses ridiculing and labeling the unwashed right because we are in control right now.

Leunam

Blanket statements and misrepresentation of safe spaces isn't a good look from my view. But that's only one opinion.

DarkKyo

Don't you think the fact that alt-righters are nodding their heads along with South Park is an issue?

Alt-righers think that their beliefs align with what South Park is saying. Tell me, what was the most "alt-right" thing in South Park last season? Is the only criticism is that they were mocking hyper PC people? Because if that's the case then you and I have very different ideas of what the alt-right is. If the alt-right is "anyone who doesn't agree with my PC code" then that's a fucking lot of demographics you're squeezing into this definition/grouping.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

Some probably enjoy Kanye too, what should we do about that?

What should we do about Bernie as well? Both he and the alt-right HATE the TPP.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Umm, did you mean to reply to a different post? lol

PSqueak

Banned
Adult Swim airing a show that is completely inappropiate and offensive?

Say it ain't so!

I mean, it is fucking deplorable that he got his own show, but AS airs shit like family guy which is basically the same on the opposite side of the spectrum, so i don't see how it's surprising.

And yes i'd want that show cancelled, just as i wish all macfarlane cartoons would die too.

People get the wrong messages from SP all the time, like a lot of people who got the idea that the Cissy episode was transphobic, and in reality it was south park's way of promoting trans acceptance which was a tremendous evolution from the last time they tackled trans issues.

Nesotenso

Alt-righers think that their beliefs align with what South Park is saying. Tell me, what was the most "alt-right" thing in South Park last season? Is the only criticism is that they were mocking hyper PC people? Because if that's the case then you and I have very different ideas of what the alt-right is.

like people have pointed out, the term 'alt-right' is going to go the way of 'SJW'

Matt

This culture war is just about to boil over, its effects haven't really been recorded yet. They will during Hilary's first term. Going with the McCarthyism angle could very well ostracize many people caught in the cross fire. Its just not a good look and I fear it could lose votes in the future not because people become less liberal but because the Dems fall victim to the regressive lefts us vs them mentality.

We should be educating, changing minds, and reaching out to others. Not sitting comfortably in our glass houses ridiculing and labeling the unwashed right because we are in control right now.
And the Democratic party is practicing McCarthyism...how?

The "culture war" has been bubbling over for decades, nothing new is going to happen in the next 4 years. And in the meantime, the Dem tent will continue to grow and demographics will get more are more favorable to them.

There is no legitimate fear that the current Republican party will grow.

This culture war is just about to boil over, its effects haven't really been recorded yet. They will during Hilary's first term. Going with the McCarthyism angle could very well ostracize many people caught in the cross fire.

This is not McCarthyism. Her speech outlined documented links from the Trump campaign to avowed white supremacists. She went out of her way not to alienate conservatives who haven't already self-identified with this kind of extremist ideology. If this makes you uncomfortable, maybe you should take a hard look at why that is.

Lime

The best thing about the phrase "alt-right" is that we are thankfully running it into the ground at record speed. I give it a week before it's as entirely useless and has as many wildly varying definitions as sjw.

None of those things actually happened, lol. They not only never said climate change isn't real, throughout the most recent season they actually never said that being politically correct was a bad thing. They merely mocked the rhetoric.

If you think daring to poke fun at popular rhetoric is off limits, at least call it for what it is instead of being so desperate for a point to make that you set up strawmen.

The Coon is just the most recent example of legitimizing racism through humor

Manbearpig and so on are obvious cases of them trying to deny climate change (lol so neutral!)

Climate change being man made and real isn't "rhetoric", it's a fact of reality that these so-called "the truth is in the middle" fuckboys somehow thought was not real. It's not poking fun, it's trying to convey a completely debunked scientific viewpoint through humor.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
And the Democratic party is practicing McCarthyism...how?

The "culture war" has been bubbling over for decades, nothing new is going to happen in the next 4 years. And in the meantime, the Dem tent will continue to grow and demographics will get more are more favorable.

There is no legitimate fear that the current Republican party will grow.

They also complained about cultural Marxism in another thread, so maybe they should stop complaining about people using buzzwords they don't understand.

thegoosen

Neo Member
I like how certain media has to expose itself as alt-right, anti-PC or SJW to fully attract an audience because there is no confidence that the content itself would provide that.

The disconnect between replies from people who bothered to watch an episode lasting an epic 12 minutes and those wetting the bed upon reading the phrase "alt-right" is probably more amusing than the actual show tbh

Eidan

"Political correctness" as a pejorative used by conservatives was directly birthed out of a backlash from minorities voicing how they're not being treated with love and respect. Political correctness started running amok the moment a man could no longer routinely hit on his female secretary, when affirmative action started taking hold nationwide, when kids started being taught the value of multiculturalism, and when gays had the audacity to think they should be allowed to marry. So, when I hear someone complain about "political correctness", they've already told me a lot about how they think and how they view the world and those around them.

I don't believe Parker and Stone are bigots, obviously. I just believe they give cover to them. I believe they exaggerate the stances of those they don't agree with for comedic effect, and those they don't agree with are often the same people that Trump supporters don't agree with. I don't think they have some sinister agenda. I just think they're two kinda conservative guys who disagree with progressivism, and enjoy mocking it.

PSqueak

Banned
I like how certain media has to expose itself as alt-right, anti-PC or SJW to fully attract an audience because there is no confidence that the content itself would provide that.

It's a thing that many mediocre shows do to try to position themselves, you'll find them along all sorts of positions.

Like there was a pilot of some really bad looking cartoon rolling around the net called generation z whose only selling point that they were hammering was "we're a very LGBT friendly cartoon! look we have a trans character!", while not backing up with quality.

Meanwhile, cartoon network it's on its 4th season of steven universe, which is an amazing LGBT friendly show with even non binary representation and they don't have to relay on that to be relevant, they're backed up by quality writing.

Not

Banned
We need a China, IL RTTP.

WELL THERE'S SOMETHIN' I'VE BEEN MEANING TO TELL YA BOUT THE COLLEGE ON THE EDGE OF TOWWWWWWN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom