• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Alt-Right Has Its Own Comedy TV Show On A Time Warner Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
They struck gold with Morel Orel, and did well for themselves with ATHF,Squidbillies, and China IL to an extent. The rest of their shows have been, from what I have seen, poor "Stoner" productions.

Eric Andre is ok in bursts. Metalopcolypse had a nice idea but was very poorly done. Boondocks was anti black garbage. Children Hospital was horrid. The clip posted in this thread I have seen of this Hyde show looks like shit too.

Really the only reason to watch is Squidbillies at this point, and even then the quality is sinking.

Boondocks is anti-blackness? I didn't watch season 3 but I don't remember any episodes being that.

Matt

I really disagree with the idea that they are more to the right. I can't think of many issues they've taken on where they actually took the conservative point of view. Can you name a few so I have some idea what you are talking about?
Do we really need to go further than the show's treatment of Al Gore and the issue of Global Warming?

Valhelm

contribute something
Sam Hyde transcends the alt-right. He's an asshole and possibly a bigot, but doesn't support any right-wing causes or candidates. He's a lot like Triumph, but less funny.

Sam Hyde transcends the alt-right. He's an asshole and possibly a bigot, but doesn't support any right-wing causes or candidates. He's a lot like Triumph, but less funny.

I don't think you can make a comparison to Triumph. Sure Triumph can be insensitive or offensive but it's not on the same level as Sam Hyde. Imo

And to the thread, of course when a new label or buzzword hits the mainstream (alt right) it's going to be used more alot more frequently and used inappropriately by some people. At the same time some posters in various threads have tried to frame it in a way that the term alt right is just a new boogyman term that liberals use for things they don't like which is so wrong. The alt right made that label themselves and it's been in use for a long time before all this mainstream attention.

MartyStu

South Park is alt-right now. You fellas have jumped the shark.

Seriously.

Modern South Park is fairly Liberal by comparison to its earlier episodes.

Fuck they spent an entire seasons Lampooning the living shit out of the Redskins, Trump, Transphobia, Homophobia, etc.

I mean there are frequent missteps, and definite points that I disagree with, but nothing so far that they deserved to be tarred and feathered .

I agree with those that say South Park is centralist.
"Alt-right" is far-right, and the show along with its creators are obviously far, far from that.

As for the MDE show, I won't watch a single episode.
I unsubscribed from their YouTube channel many years ago and it seems like I didn't miss anything interesting.

Also checked that Sam guy's Reddit and Twitter accounts, and boy, he's as "alt-right" as you can possibly get.

Fury451

Banned
At first I thought his political opinions were like "performance art" or whatever- counter culture to rile stuff up, but it doesn't look that way after digging into it quite a bit.

Never saw the show, never will as I don't really find adult swim humor funny these days, but it's certainly interesting that someone with those public viewpoints made it that far

Vyer

it's sad that they've been able to get the term 'alt-right' propagated enough that it covers up/is used in place of 'white supremacist'

which in turn helps them to get tv shows on air

shamanick

it's sad that they've been able to get the term 'alt-right' propagated enough that it covers up/is used in place of 'white supremacist'

which in turn helps them to get tv shows on air

I don't think it covers it up, isn't white nationalism part of the DNA of the alt-right?

Is there not a South Park episode where Cartman starts his own Alt-Right blog in response to something that Kyle does at school, and ultimately ends up getting picked up as Trump's new campaign manager?

Because that one's free, Trey.

Just watched a clip. I can't stand anti-comedy for more then a few mins.

I wish the alt-right and alt-left would just fuck already. The horrible musky oder of their sexual tension is killing everybody else.

Riposte

I believe Hyde has been the suspect for half of the publicized mass shootings in Amercian at one time or another.

Ban Puncher

a lot of people got triggered by my south park post

eQ56MaC.gif

Cagey

Banned
It's ok the left can go back to calling them 'neo-nazis' if that's what you prefer
Has a lot more bite than accepting the self-branding of "alt-right", like it's some young counterculture spin on the American right, instead of "white supremacist computer nerds" or "Stormfront for the A/V club"

Mesousa

Banned
Huh? Aaron Mgruder may criticize black pop-culture from time to time, but he and his work definitely ain't anti-black.

That show wasn't Aaron McGruders work though. As someone who has read his comic since 98(when he would post his hate mail on the internet for the world to see), and own his graphic novels, the show was nothing more than a cheap attempt at getting the old chappelle viewers with anti black propaganda being presented as "Satire".

South Park is alt right because liberals can't stand to have the piss taken out of them. It's more fun to take someone off a high horse.

DarkKyo

No, the most alt-right thing was showing "both sides" of people who want safe spaces by showing one side as a bunch of wealthy celebrities who would be fine if they just got off the internet, and the other side as... nothing. Again, this was after GamerGate happened. No mention of the normal people who are affected by harassment, and no mocking of the people who think it's okay to harass people over the internet. It's exactly the kind of strawman that alt-right groups like GamerGate loves.

South Park makes fun of everyone, except for when they don't.

What?? It had nothing to do with GamerGate! It wasn't even defending online harassment/bullying like you are describing. The point they were making was that if you put yourself out there on the internet(when I say out there, I mean broadcasting yourself in some way).. whether it be photographs, messages, artwork, etc etc.. you should be prepared for the fact that there are complete assholes out there whose only goal is to make you feel bad about yourself. The world is full of assholes. And that's cold, hard reality. The people who are expecting the world to coddle them are at odds with reality.

It doesn't focus on the kind of dirtbag that would fat shame someone online because there's nothing you can do about that. People are always going to be horrible and the internet is a place where the world has no filter. Those people will always exist no matter how much you think society has progressed. And that's the reality of it. It has nothing to do with justifying or defending or ignoring bullying or harassment online. It has much more to do with the outrageous expectation some people have about putting themselves out there and expecting the world to treat them with any semblance of respect. There's a reason the message angered a lot of people, and it's because it's the truth and nobody wants to hear it. You can't put yourself out there in any aspect of life and expect people not to be horrible.

What?? It had nothing to do with GamerGate! It wasn't even defending online harassment/bullying like you are describing. The point they were making was that if you put yourself out there on the internet(when I say out there, I mean broadcasting yourself in some way).. whether it be photographs, messages, artwork, etc etc.. you should be prepared for the fact that there are complete assholes out there whose only goal is to make you feel bad about yourself. The world is full of assholes. And that's cold, hard reality. The people who are expecting the world to coddle them are at odds with reality.

It doesn't focus on the kind of dirtbag that would fat shame someone online because there's nothing you can do about that. People are always going to be horrible and the internet is a place where the world has no filter. Those people will always exist no matter how much you think society has progressed. And that's the reality of it. It has nothing to do with justifying or defending or ignoring bullying or harassment online. It has much more to do with the outrageous expectation some people have about putting themselves out there and expecting the world to treat them with any semblance of respect. There's a reason the message angered a lot of people, and it's because it's the truth and nobody wants to hear it. You can't put yourself out there in any aspect of life and expect people not to be horrible.

So we have two problems:

a) people wanting safe spaces and trigger warnings

b) people harassing, threatening and doxxing people for stating their opinion

Which side is most worthy of criticism?

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
South Park and its creators are more libertarian than liberal. So while they do get many things right, the "all sides are bad" is repulsive.

They have gone after many bigoted stereotypes and figures.

There's no way to seriously look at South Park and consider it an alt-right show considering how much fun they have made of many of the concepts important to that movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom