• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S3 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
7TwfYUe.png

96AXns4.png

A few excerpts from the Martindale interview. More via the link:
Could we see you as a series regular?

No, no. I wanted to be, but they have to stick with their story. They have gone a whole season really without me, and they had Frank Langella all season, who is just wonderful. They have the story to play out with Frank and everything that’s happened on the show currently. They had to break their story for next season already now, too, so they’re writing. I’ll be able to pop up here and there on the next season. At least, I keep my fingers crossed that I will.

You wouldn’t want to get viewers' hopes up for nothing.

Joe and Joel know that I would love to be there, and it’s a mutual love society between us. But, again, they also are committed to where they’re going right now story-wise. So I don’t really know, but I have a feeling I’ll be there absolutely.

What’d you enjoy the most about the way you resurfaced in this episode?

The thing that you haven’t seen from Claudia is that she really has a human side. Gabriel and I have been friends for years and years and years. Actually, we came up the ranks together. So there’s a real camaraderie and support between us, and I really enjoyed that, the fact that there was no hidden agenda.

What’s the extent of Gabriel and Claudia’s relationship exactly? Were there not some romantic vibes in that diner?

It’s not clear. I tried to cram as much into it as possible. There could have been a relationship. I’m not privy to this, but I tried to leave it open that if they wanted those things to have happened, they could. It’s fun to be able to leave possibilities and a way for the writers to make what they want. Also, I actually replaced him originally. When the show started, I was stepping in for their old handler, Gabriel, because he was not working out.

Why is Claudia so intent on recruiting Paige?

It was good for me as a solider. I think it was good for Gabriel as a solider. For me — because I’m so trained — I can only see the good of being with the KGB. Elizabeth, too.

Any predictions about where the Paige storyline is going to go?

I’ve thought that maybe something would happen, and I’d have to come in and save the day (laughs), or maybe Gabriel will just follow through and do exactly what I believe he’s capable of. I don’t know, but they are such great storytellers that it will be fun to see.

So, is Claudia supposed to be in the U.S. now? Do we know where she is?

When Joe and Joel and I went to breakfast, I don’t even think we talked about that. But I think that I’ve been home [to Russia] and I’ve since come back [to the U.S.], and now you could maybe think that I could be around any corner. That's what I like to think.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
On an intellectual level I know and understand these points, and they make sense. It does not change the fact that for two episodes now her scenes have consisted mostly of her barging into a room to ask questions in an increasingly shrill manner. I feel bad for feeling this way, but I'm starting to dread the Paige scenes because the character as written has become so obnoxious.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think Paige acting like that for 2-3 episodes is too outrageous. Now, if we come back next year (after the inevitable time jump) and she's still doing it in every episode, then I think it'll be a problem.

(Everyone watch Rectify and The Honorable Woman please)

Yes.

A few excerpts from the Martindale interview. More via the link:

I’ll be able to pop up here and there on the next season. At least, I keep my fingers crossed that I will.

Me too Margo :D

faridmon

I was like

''Clark WTF are you doing? don't do it''

the ending was cray!

Also, YES. Honourable Woman is indeed one of the most electrifying Television I have watched in a long time. Also, the best female lead in any TV drama.

I

Saty

I don't see what's Phillip's angle here. To me it seems an un-salvageable situation and he should just off her.

Everyone can see Martha is rattled. Stan's visit's pretty much cements the FBI's suspicion over her. Now Martha is going to look even more fraught at work after this reveal. It's the end of the road of her usefulness. What's the indication for a different take? How is the FBI not going to go after Martha and thus put her out of the picture of the Center's interest? Are they going to frame someone else for the bug out of the blue? Phillip and Elizabeth haven't been seen doing anything that would allude that they had this contingency plan in the pipeline.

So really, what spy-reasoning is there left to keep Martha in the game? You could say that by killing her and the police finding her body or she goes 'missing' that it's a confirmation she planted the bug and was being worked on by 'illegals', but that's it. Another dead-end for the FBI. Instead of having Martha imploding and spilling the beans or forgetting to hide away 'Clark's' photo the next time Stan visits, or she just straight up does a sketch for them of disguise-free Phillip..

-griffy-

Banned
I don't see what's Phillip's angle here. To me it seems an un-salvageable situation and he should just off her.

Everyone can see Martha is rattled. Stan's visit's pretty much cements the FBI's suspicion over her. Now Martha is going to look even more fraught at work after this reveal. It's the end of the road of her usefulness. What's the indication for a different take? How is the FBI not going to go after Martha and thus put her out of the picture of the Center's interest? Are they going to frame someone else for the bug out of the blue? Phillip and Elizabeth haven't been seen doing anything that would allude that they had this contingency plan in the pipeline.

So really, what spy-reasoning is there left to keep Martha in the game? You could say that by killing her and the police finding her body or she goes 'missing' that it's a confirmation she planted the bug and was being worked on by 'illegals', but that's it. Another dead-end for the FBI. Instead of having Martha imploding and spilling the beans or forgetting to hide away 'Clark's' photo the next time Stan visits, or she just straight up does a sketch for them of disguise-free Phillip..
I think Phillip has feelings for Martha. Not like he's in love with her as a husband, but they've still shared a life of sorts together. I think he feels bad that he's used her and essentially ruined her life, and he's trying to be honest with her and reveal his true self before the inevitable happens (whether that's her death or being arrested I'm not sure yet). I think that's part of it, and I think the other part is he's trying to buy time until that inevitable end game, so she doesn't leave and have a change of heart and turn him in. He's trying to get her to stay by being more open with her.

And back to the first point, I think he is trying to prevent her necessary death or imprisonment as well. By having her go into hiding and assuming a new identity like he proposed. I don't think his motivations in that last scene are just "spy-reasoning" but way more personal and caring than anything.

Saty

And back to the first point, I think he is trying to prevent her necessary death or imprisonment as well. By having her go into hiding and assuming a new identity like he proposed. I don't think his motivations in that last scene are just "spy-reasoning" but way more personal and caring than anything.
Oh, i agree. I'd assume after the next talk with Elizabeth he'll know there's no other way around it unless the Center provides a good reason why not, which i can't see.

Catdaddy

When he took off the wig, I was so upset the hour was pretty much over. He has pretty much no option to kill her, unless he can weave some type of crazy story. I’m figuring she’ll OD or some other type of staged suicide that will pretty much tell the FBI she did it and leave no witnesses.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Why did The Soviets invade Afghanistan again?
I'm no expert, but a communist party in Afghanistan staged a coup in 1978. Soviets immediately provided support and advisors because well, communism. Opposition within the country formed quickly, sparking a civil war, and the Americans jumped in to support that opposition. The communist party in Afghanistan also found itself with its own major internal strife, with some political assassinations occurring and the Soviets stepping in even more to fill the power vacuum if only to prevent the country from spiraling further out of control, although there was no stopping that.

Oh, i agree. I'd assume after the next talk with Elizabeth he'll know there's no other way around it unless the Center provides a good reason why not, which i can't see.

Honestly, I kinda wonder if Philip's even capable of killing her at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else does it, perhaps without even telling him, sensing that he might hesitate.Perhaps the return of Clark's sister?

Of course, that's if this even happens. Martha's in a jam, but we've questioned the character's lifespan before.

Oh man I have the latest two episodes queued up. After that big reveal, the shit that might go down......lkasjflaskjf;lasjkf;lk (I haven't read many posts in this thread recently...)

When he took off the wig, I was so upset the hour was pretty much over. He has pretty much no option to kill her, unless he can weave some type of crazy story. I’m figuring she’ll OD or some other type of staged suicide that will pretty much tell the FBI she did it and leave no witnesses.

If there's going to be a staged suicide, it pretty much has to include her gun, right? I mean, that's still sitting there, unused, despite the time the show took to set it up.

If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it's not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging there.

One must never place a loaded rifle on the stage if it isn't going to go off. It's wrong to make promises you don't mean to keep. --Anton Chekov

Anyway, this show is consistently great.

jay23

I think Phillip has feelings for Martha. Not like he's in love with her as a husband, but they've still shared a life of sorts together. I think he feels bad that he's used her and essentially ruined her life, and he's trying to be honest with her and reveal his true self before the inevitable happens (whether that's her death or being arrested I'm not sure yet). I think that's part of it, and I think the other part is he's trying to buy time until that inevitable end game, so she doesn't leave and have a change of heart and turn him in. He's trying to get her to stay by being more open with her.

That can't possibly be an option for Philip/Elizabeth/Centre. Either someone kills her(I don't think Philip wants to do it) or they frame someone else for planting the bug. Killing her is their best option. They cant have Martha falling apart the way she is and working there. Also I don't see her going into hiding she already lives this miserable lonely life.

I'm still waiting for that gun she owns to come into play. Does anyone think she'll end up committing suicide?

Link

The Autumn Wind
That can't possibly be an option for Philip/Elizabeth/Centre. Either someone kills her(I don't think Philip wants to do it) or they frame someone else for planting the bug. Killing her is their best option. They cant have Martha falling apart the way she is and working there. Also I don't see her going into hiding she already lives this miserable lonely life.

I'm still waiting for that gun she owns to come into play. Does anyone think she'll end up committing suicide?
I think it's more likely she ends up "committing suicide."

It always bugs me that Elizabeth kind of resents Stan's relationship with Martha. Elizabeth always seems so hostile and talks about Martha like she's just a tool which I'm sure was the initial objective, but then when you get to know her better she's a really good person who deserves better in life.

No different than when Elizabeth ran into that old lady when they were haxing the mail robot. She developed a connection with her and really didn't want to do anything to her and was very emotional about it. AND THAT WAS JUST ONE BRIEF MEETING. Imagine Phillip who has basically had that except he is married to her and shares a portion of his life with her.

It's all pretty tragic.

IronRinn

I see what you're saying, but I don't think Paige acting like that for 2-3 episodes is too outrageous. Now, if we come back next year (after the inevitable time jump) and she's still doing it in every episode, then I think it'll be a problem.

I just noticed this part of your response. This definitely seems like a lock, especially if they're going to go through with making Paige a spy.

Season finale tonight:
March 8, 1983

Elizabeth and Paige take a trip that lands them in treacherous territory; Philip turns to an unlikely source for solace; Stan's plan to save Nina culminates in unforeseen ways.

- Onion A|V Club on S3: In The Americans’ third season, truth hits home
The Americans remains one of the best-written shows on television, and quite simply the best at the constructing intricate, layered plots. Every episode, every scene, gives the impression of a gun being cocked and placed carefully on a wall. It helps to keep the pacing tight even if the immediate details are obscured. While Nina remains a tragic figure, her struggles overseas don’t immediately seem to have much to do with anything else—yet it is still possible that some other shoe will drop in the finale and pull everything together. (For that reason, it’s worth keeping an eye on Henry. The number of times his parents and sister have pointed out how oblivious he is this season might be leading somewhere.)

But that intricate plotting would not be nearly as effective if it weren’t for the strong undercurrent of feeling that powers it. While there were several horrors throughout the third season, none hit quite as hard as the panicked, furious look on Paige’s face when she demanded to know if any of the photos of the family album were real. (It doesn’t hurt that those earlier catastrophes all served to reinforce how easily situations in the Jennings’ lives can get out of hand, and how “getting out of hand” nearly always means someone dies.) The greatest genre shows use their genre to dig at universal realities, and this season has uncovered a bitter one: childhood doesn’t end, it shatters. And in the wreckage that follows, no one escapes without injury.

faridmon

Season finale tonight. :(
I will be sad when this and Person of Interest end (Luckily Orphan Back just started but it doesn't scratch the same itch)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Here’s another spy storage question: Earlier this season, in the episode where Elizabeth drops a car on the guy in his driveway: WHERE DID THAT DOG COME FROM that she’s walking?

Oh my god, everyone was wondering that. I know that I, personally, have been lobbying for a Jennings spy dog. So maybe he’s a candidate? Maybe they keep him with the wigs and he’ll be revealing himself soon. Maybe it wasn’t even a real dog. Maybe it’s a robot dog.

I fully recognize that I’m focusing on the wrong thing in that sequence, but I have not been able to let go of the idea of a covert dog locker somewhere in the neighborhood.

A lot of people were shocked by the dog. More people were shocked by the dog than her dropping the car on the guy.

I mean, you expect her to kill people at this point. You don’t expect to see her interacting with a cute animal.

Exactly. I don’t know where that came from, but I know where I hope it leads.

LOL

OMG the season finale :'(

I hope Paige doesn't do anything cray cray. I want a happy family for the ending before the credits roll. Pipe dream I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom