• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The colors of this photo will appear different to everyone. I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
hahaha

i thought this was such a bullshit thread, as its clearly white (kinda bluish cause its saded) and gold... then i showed just the picture to my wife who swears up and down its "periwinkle blue" and black.

craziness. awesomesauce.

DJ88

To the people seeing black and blue,

does this look black to you?

isthisblackigsgz.png

I picked the one of the darkest shades of this color I could find on the dress, most of the dress with the "black" or "gold" parts is actually made up of much lighter shades.

That box, removed from all lighting context, is gold/brown. In the actual picture, your brain kind of has to reverse all the lighting and washed out color the camera has done to realize what it actually is.

It's all in the camera.

Nobody cares what the actual dress looks like. We're arguing about the colors as seen. "Looks very gold" means it is gold.

And what I've been trying to say is that not everyone is interpreting the question the way you are. Some people are very definitely reading the question as "What color is this dress, regardless of how poorly the colors were captured in this picture." Because these people know the dress is blue and black, they are seeing the dress as blue and black.

Other people, like you, are reading the question as "What colors are the pixels in this picture of a blue and black dress?" In which case, you say white and gold, because the pixels are closer to that.

Basically, my hypothesis here is that there is no difference in retinas effecting how people view the picture. The actual cause of the difference is that some people are trying to answer the question about the true color of the pixels, and thus their brains are picking out the white and gold, while other people are trying to answer about the color of the dress, so their brains and making it appear bluer and blacker than the picture, because that is the true color to the dress.

So the big disagreement comes from an ambiguity in the question. If you read the question to people both ways, and let them answer separately, I think there would be agreement. Namely, the actual dress is black and blue, but the colors of the pixels are white and gold, as can be verified.

Coreda

I can understand seeing the white as having a blue tint, but it's blowing my mind that people see the gold color as black.

Come on guys, HOW IS THIS BLACK?

It seems a large number of people aren't taking into account how exposure and color balance affect the color of things in photographs, in highlights, mids and shades. Perhaps unconsciously.

The image has an awful, overly red color cast in the highlights and shadows due to the color balance and exposure which affects the black tones giving the lace (particularly the top section which people appear to be focusing on) a brown/gold appearance, but also the black and white fabric in the background. See a partially color corrected version here, and the same dress in less exposed light here. Also keep in mind black as a color is almost never a single shade.

Just as how someone can apply an Instagram filter to a photo it similarly doesn't represent accurately what color something is in reality, but this is usually filtered by our minds (at least I'd hope so :p).

The sky is not yellow/purple or green in reality, nor does the man have yellowed skin in real life.

PaulloDEC

You realize it's either the tint of the photo or the lighting that's making it show up gold right? It's black

Wait, I thought the question here was "What colours do you see in this photo", not "What colours do you think the actual dress is?"

To be honest, the photo is so poor that I wouldn't really want to make a judgement on the latter.

3phemeral

People saying blue and black are objectively wrong according to Photoshop, overexposed photo or not.

But what colors are the dress actually? Under normal lighting conditions, it's not gold and white. You can phrase the question two ways:

• What is the actual color of the dress?
  • What color does the dress appear to be?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
LCDs, CRTs, OLEDs, whatever the fuck you're looking at this site on, are inherently additive color.
Go home, OP. You're drunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom