• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The colors of this photo will appear different to everyone. I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lednerg

I know what actual color it is. Your logic is bad, though. Knowing the actual color of the dress is a cop out for making your assumptions.

What assumptions are you talking about? That it is an indoor scene being lit with artificial lighting? That's not a hard assumption to make given that 1) it's a clothing store and 2) we see the sky in the window. It is indoors, and the lighting is yellow.

Answer me this: Where would blue light hitting a white dress be coming from in that picture?

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I can't really understand how some people see white and gold, I mean, on the right side of the image you have samples of white and gold just beside the dress.

I was only able to see black and blue too, but then I played video games in a dark room with a bright monitor in front of me for a few hours and saw white and gold. But as I was looking at the image it was slowly reverting to blue and black as my eyes were readjusting. So maybe try it after a session of dark video gaming.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
It's not the same thing, if you're colorblind you can't sudenly notice the colors that you can't see.

So your rods / cones and the brain controlling them and interpreting these images is 100% fixed and deterministc after birth? With no variation from person to person and lighting situation to lighting situation?

LX_Theo

Banned
What assumptions are you talking about? That it is an indoor scene being lit with artificial lighting? That's not a hard assumption to make given that 1) it's a clothing store and 2) we see the sky in the window. It is indoors, and the lighting is yellow.

Answer me this: Where would blue light hitting a white dress be coming from in that picture?

Assuming the lighting sources in that sort of photo is bad logic to begin with. You see almost nothing indicating everything going on. Its just bad logic and is trying way to hard to get some definitive answer with evidence that isn't there.

The fact that your asking me where its possible shows you've already discounted the possibility of other opportunities. That says enough.

lednerg

Assuming the lighting sources in that sort of photo is bad logic to begin with.

It's either indoors or it's outdoors. That's the two things it can be. If it's outdoors, then the dress is white and being lit by the sky, giving it a bluish tint. If it's indoors, then the dress is actually blue. That's the illusion in a nutshell - both camps are making assumptions about the lighting source, even if just automatically via our brains' visual cortex.

EDIT:
You see almost nothing indicating everything going on. Its just bad logic and is trying way to hard to get some definitive answer with evidence that isn't there.

The fact that your asking me where its possible shows you've already discounted the possibility of other opportunities. That says enough.
Again, I see the black and white object to the left. It doesn't appear blue, it appears yellow. So does the floor. The only blue things in that picture are the dress and the top area outside the window behind the dress. The rest of the scene is yellow. It's not a far leap of logic to assume that the dress is being hit with yellow light.

BTW, Photoshop's auto color correction algorithm produces very similar results.

cajunator

Banned
My mom sees white and gold. I told her how dark blue it is she literally cant believe it. This is one of the most bizarre things Ive ever encountered.

LX_Theo

Banned
It's either indoors or it's outdoors. That's the two things it can be. If it's outdoors, then the dress is white and being lit by the sky, giving it a bluish tint. If it's indoors, then the dress is actually blue. That's the illusion in a nutshell - both camps are making assumptions about the lighting source, even if just automatically via our brains' visual cortex.

EDIT:

Again, I see the black and white object to the left. It doesn't appear blue, it appears yellow. So does the floor. The only blue things in that picture are the dress and the top area outside the window behind the dress. The rest of the scene is yellow. It's not a far leap of logic to assume that the dress is being hit with yellow light.

BTW, Photoshop's auto color correction algorithm produces very similar results.

And there we have it. Proof of your assumptions. You're not considering the varied possibilities of types of light sources and different sources of light and shadows. "Not a far leap"... Given how little of the scene we see, its obviously too far of a leap.

You never even considered the million other options than those? Just one random one... A blueish shadow! Ooh ah oh!

I'm done here. All you're doing is making broad assumptions so you can string together your argument. Its getting sad, and I have no care to see you try to justify this again. I;m sure you'll reply with whatever inane response you have like you have been.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I can't really understand how some people see white and gold, I mean, on the right side of the image you have samples of white and gold just beside the dress.

identical-colors-big.jpg

A and B are the same colour, the brain is compensating for what it believes is in shadow.

Cover where they join with your finger.

This is what is going on with the white/gold people. The dress appears lightened to them because their brain is interpreting the dress as in shadow. So sky blue becomes white, and the brown becomes gold.

The opposite is happening with the blue/black people. They are compensating for the artificial light so the dress appears darker. The sky blue becomes dark blue, and the brown becomes black.

Not everyone makes a correction to the image, for them it remains sky blue and brown. It's down to how your brain interprets the scene.

MiszMasz

And there we have it. Proof of your assumptions. You're not considering the varied possibilities of types of light sources and different sources of light and shadows. "Not a far leap"... Given how little of the scene we see, its obviously too far of a leap.

You never even considered the million other options than those? Just one random one... A blueish shadow! Ooh ah oh!

I'm done here. All you're doing is making broad assumptions so you can string together your argument. Its getting sad, and I have no care to see you try to justify this again. I;m sure you'll reply with whatever inane response you have like you have been.

We know it's indoors, under shop lighting. You can tell it's indoors by the floor, doorway and shelves in the picture. You can tell it's being lit from the light outside coming through the frame and can see there's an alternative light source casting on to it from the front/left based on the shadowing that really can be seen on parts of the dress.
Further, we know the store that sells the dress, and i'm not 100% but it still looks like it has the security tag on it in the picture.
Finally, you can't discount the fact we now know what colour the dress is and that the shop doesn't sell a white & gold variant. That knowledge alone helps with the colour referencing/comparison in the photo and correcting the exposure issues.

We know this stuff at this point, and the original image doesn't exist in a vacuum where no extra data exists.

Mindlog

I don't appreciate the internet wide conspiracy to make me think I saw white/gold one day and blue/black the next.

How the hell did you people alter the saved image on my tablet?

Not cool.

lednerg

I've worked retail and have done staging. They use really bright (typically halogen) lights which give off a warm, yellow color. They use warm lighting since it has a calming effect on the eyes; it's more inviting than cold, bluish lighting. It's very deliberate. When I see a photograph from inside a store, I'm expecting that it's being lit with bright yellowish lights.

If that's a dark blue shadow on a white garment in a store, then that blue has to be coming from somewhere in the store. And the lighting in that store has got to be a joke if a shadow to makes a white garment appear that much darker than the rest of the scene. What is the dress made out of rubber and can't let light through?

EDIT: I should also mention I do architectural renderings for a living, so I play with the way light interacts with materials all day and this stuff comes naturally to me. I'm not calling people idiots for seeing it as white and gold. Just explaining what's going on in the scene, trying to help others see the blue dress if they can't.

Paracelsus

I've seen opaque white (and white changes also depending on the texture) looking like that in real life under dim light. You could threaten to kill me and I would never claim that be blue, baby blue, turquoise or whatever.

identical-colors-big.jpg

A and B are the same colour, the brain is compensating for what it believes is in shadow.

This is what is going on with the white/gold people. The dress appears lightened to them because their brain is interpreting the dress as in shadow. So sky blue becomes white, and the brown becomes gold.

The opposite is happening with the blue/black people. They are compensating for the artificial light so the dress appears darker. The sky blue becomes dark blue, and the brown becomes black.

Not everyone makes a correction to the image, for them it remains sky blue and brown. It's down to how your brain interprets the scene.

all of this is so interesting

Afrikan

identical-colors-big.jpg

I'm showing everyone that pic Deck'Ard....do you have anymore?

I still think I've missed something, I've been seeing dirty SKY Blue and dirty gold since this thing has started...what does that say about my eyesight?

Peltz

I saw blue and black last week, and today I see white and gold. What the actual fuck?

Edit.. It's back to blue and black now...

What is reality? Is GAF real?

Devildoll

Hmmm....

That was really odd.

I've seen this picture before and always seen black and blue.

When i first loaded this thread up, i saw gold and white, i thought the image was rigged, case i know i always see black and blue.

So i scroll through the post to the third picture which is photographed in different lighting and again see what i always do, black and blue, then i scroll up to the initial picure, and now that has become black and blue too.

Pretty messed up.

I'm in my bed, reading of my cell phone, so i assume the initial gold and white i saw was because my eyes hadn't adjusted to the bright screen or something like that.

Lavender and brown. No White, no Black. People are interpreting not seeing

identical-colors-big.jpg

Thank You, I love you.

Prax

I still think I've missed something, I've been seeing dirty SKY Blue and dirty gold since this thing has started...what does that say about my eyesight?

Your eyesight is technically correct. It's an overexposed image showing sky/washed out blue and brownish colours.
People seeing/believing white/gold have compensation systems thinking the dress is in a shadow (but part of their processing is missing the shine on the dress, which would make it properly lit or overexposed).
People seeing black blue don't actually see black blue (I think). They just know it's supposed to be black and blue because it's an overexposed image. lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Your eyesight is technically correct. It's an overexposed image showing sky/washed out blue and brownish colours.
People seeing/believing white/gold have compensation systems thinking the dress is in a shadow (but part of their processing is missing the shine on the dress, which would make it properly lit or overexposed).
People seeing black blue don't actually see black blue (I think). They just know it's supposed to be black and blue because it's an overexposed image. lol

The fact that it's technically brown and a very very light blue means that both parties' minds are "compensating" in some way.

It's like there's one of two "octaves" (to steal a musical term) and your brain is shifting the image either up, or down, to the next nearest plausible color combination.

Prax

The fact that it's technically brown and a very very light blue means that both parties' minds are "compensating" in some way.

It's like there's one of two "octaves" (to steal a musical term) and your brain is shifting the image either up, or down, to the next nearest plausible color combination.

It's not even very light blue though? It's just like.. mid grey-blue. lol
The only "very very light blue" areas are the highlight/shine areas. The overall average dress colour is some kind of mid grey-blue in the image.

There is actually no way it's white at all. lol Like I can see people saying blue technically, and dark blue compensatory-wise. And it'd be right just for saying blue. But to demand it white: NO. A misinterpretation error. xD

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
identical-colors-big.jpg

Oh my fucking gawd this worked

Jesus Chroist!

caffeware

Banned
Seriously, if we can't agree on a simple matter as a color of a dress, how can we agree on complicated subjects like taxation, etc?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

Seeing it as sky blue and brown/dirty gold is seeing the image 'as is', its true colours. Your brain isn't interpreting the scene as needing to be to be corrected. You are in the 3rd camp, whereas the white/gold and blue/black camps are interpreting the scene as needing to be colour corrected.

The over-exposed nature of the image, combined with how little we can actually see of the environment the dress is in and how precisely it is being lit, means if your brain does decide to compensate for the lighting it isn't actually sure which way to adjust it. To either compensate for shade or to compensate for it being brightly lit.

illusion_dhtml_6_v2.gif

The top middle square and the front middle square are actually the same colour.

Remove the information and lighting cues from the scene and you see the true colour:

illusion_dhtml_7_v2.gif

The true colour of both squares is actually in between the 2. Just as the dress as it appears in the photo is actually sky blue and brown. Not white/gold or blue/black, it's in between the 2.

This photo has freaked people out because it seems to have just the right lack of information about colour and lighting that it confuses the brain and triggers it to make adjustments without enough information to confidently do so.

McLovin

My sis sent me the pic asking what I saw and I originally saw it here as white and gold. But today it was blue and black. Came back to this thread to verify and its fucking blue now WTF!

Izuna

Banned
What's crazy about it though is how it flips back and forth for people.

It was explained so many times, even with people pointing out how we get used to colour temperatures etc.

Like when people are told to use Warm 2/D65 on their TVs and instead they refuse to see anything other than piss yellow (even though the cooler temperature will hurt their eyes over time and they can get used to it either way).

But it's all solved with unrefutable proof. :) it's an illusion

It was explained so many times, even with people pointing out how we get used to colour temperatures etc.

Like when people are told to use Warm 2/D65 on their TVs and instead they refuse to see anything other than piss yellow (even though the cooler temperature will hurt their eyes over time and they can get used to it either way).

But it's all solved with ubrefutable proof. :) it's an illusion
The one thing that I can't understand is why a person looking at the original dress image would think it was in shadow as opposed to being overexposed.

Izuna

Banned
The one thing that I can't understand is why a person looking at the original dress image would think it was in shadow as opposed to being overexposed.

The point is, if you keep at it, you will witness both eventually (probably). It isn't about what you think is logical. Which is the same with many optical illusions.

It's still weird. It was apparently white and Gold when I originally posted this in 2015, but now it's blue and black.

Back then, I thought everyone who said black and blue was trolling. But after the first time I managed to see it as a black and blue, it's aa if a switch flipped in my brain, and now I always see it as black and blue

Ricky_R

Nice bump inspired by that other illusion thread. Anyway, I still see it white and gold.

There was a time that I did see it black and blue, but for the most part it's white and gold.

Izuna

Banned
Back then, I thought everyone who said black and blue was trolling. But after the first time I managed to see it as a black and blue, it's aa if a switch flipped in my brain, and now I always see it as black and blue

Yeah I looked back at my old posts and they are 200% cringe. Page 13 maybe I saw it as Blue and Black.

The point is, if you keep at it, you will witness both eventually (probably). It isn't about what you think is logical. Which is the same with many optical illusions.
Sure, I just don't understand why a person's brain would ever look at that photo and have their first interpretation be that the dress is in shadow.

Also, my brain has never been able to make the "switch" on this one, so any advice on how to trigger it would be great.

Sure, I just don't understand why a person's brain would ever look at that photo and have their first interpretation be that the dress is in shadow.

Also, my brain has never been able to make the "switch" on this one, so any advice on how to trigger it would be great.

IDK how but it switch at random for me lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom