• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The colors of this photo will appear different to everyone. I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The overexposure is the key. Look at the light in the areas next to the dress .. . they are all washed out due to too much light. If you can get your brain to apply those lighting conditions to the dress, it will appear blue/black. But there is only a small amount of context lighting so your brain is using the ambient lighting of your local room.

Basically, it is a real life version of this famous optical illusion wherein the A and B squares are actually the exact same color
I don't think that's it. Under no light conditions (ranging from the bright of the day to the complete darkness) does that dress ever look white to me. The highlights on it will just never match something white sitting in the shadow - and the obvious yellow lighting that permeates the whole photo makes it clear that the other color is black, with that yellow highlight shining onto it. Besides, it's worth repeating - there's an actual white dress right next to the main one.

The famous checker image fools every person the same way. This photo causes different visual outcomes to different people who see the picture on the exact same screen in the same light conditions. It's not the same thing at all.

qShH5re.gif

thumbsup.png

Whoa, all this as time I saw it as white gold, then I scrolled to where the bright pic with the blue dress was and when I scrolled up the dress was now blue and black, then it slowly went back to white gold. I thought it was a gif. Fucking with my mind.

OraleeWey

28dress1-web-blog427.jpg

Look at the photo. Now look down at this sentence and view the dress in your visual periphery. The color has changed.
I still see gold and white with blue tint. Ever since this thread was posted.

Even on my periphery the dress is gold and white.

The perception of the image can change depending on your environment but computer screens emit light so unless your monitor is woefully uncalibrated then the colour of light around you won't make a vast amount of difference.

Certainly not enough to turn brown into black anyway.

Never was, never will be white and gold.

It's blue and and black. The black has a slight goldish/brown tint.

Then that makes it not black.

I tried to make it white and gold. I really tried. My thought process:

1. It looks black and blue.
  2. The real dress is black and blue.
  3. Isolating the colors gives a very light blue and some darkish, brownish, yellowish colors.
Conclusion: Black and blue is the correct way to see it and I can forget about this now.

There is no 'correct' way of seeing it.

Its white and gold. If you see differently your eyes are broken. Yes the actual dress is blue and black. The picture is white and gold. If you show me a picture of a blue sun it isn't yellow its blue. It doesn't matter what the sun's color actually is. Go see a doctor kids.

Who

Banned
I have yet to observe any colors from the dress other than the white and gold in which I originally perceived. The tides of logic on the contrary are overwhelming me as the source of the subject image has confirmed the dress to be of a black and blue instead and subsequent others have confirmed the same. I feel my sanity slipping from me at times. I'm staring menacingly at it as I type this very log.

For now, nothing or nobody can be trusted.

I will report new findings as they come.

MiszMasz

Its white and gold. If you see differently your eyes are broken. Yes the actual dress is blue and black. The picture is white and gold. If you show me a picture of a blue sun it isn't yellow its blue. It doesn't matter what the sun's color actually is. Go see a doctor kids.

The picture in the OP shows a blue and black dress tho.

Basically, white&golds can never really trust their own eyes ever again. In the future when you see a white or a gold object, you'll require someone else to provide a second opinion.

lednerg

If it was White/Gold, it would look like the image on the left using the same lighting and camera conditions.
PZZdifE.jpg

You have to look at the floor as well as the black/white object on the bottom left. The sky is in a window behind the dress. If it was lighting the room, then the floor would be blue.

The picture in the OP shows a blue and black dress tho.

Basically, white&golds can never really trust their own eyes ever again. In the future when you see a white or a gold object, you'll require someone else to provide a second opinion.

Nah. You got a disease bro. Look into that shit.

If it was White/Gold, it would look like the image on the left using the same lighting and camera conditions.

The debate isn't what color the actual dress is, we already know its blue and black. The debate is what color the edited photo is. And its white and gold.

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-blue-and-how-do-we-see-color-2015-2

This isn't another story about that dress, or at least, not really.

It's about the way that humans see the world, and how until we have a way to describe something, even something so fundamental as a color, we may not even notice that it's there.

Until relatively recently in human history, "blue" didn't exist, not in the way we think of it.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-blue-and-how-do-we-see-color-2015-2#ixzz3TAJYa951

interesting read

Train going in or coming out of the tunnel?

be2cf616fd917b0d895b30f0663c9181.gif
look at farthest end of the tunnel, the train goes one way.
then change your focus at the bottom right corner then notice the train go the other way

Zombine

Banned
if I scroll up and down really fast and blink my eyes its blue and black. The moment I stop and focus on the image it is white and gold. What the hell is wrong with me? is the NeoGAF dark theme really dark? Or is it gold?

We know the actual color is blue and black, therefore if the picture was normal and unedited, everyone would see blue and black unanimously unless they're colorblind.

We know the picture is edited and overexposed. People either see white/gold or blue/black. Since any people see white/gold at all. That means the edited picture has to be white/gold since if it was actually blue/black, everyone would see blue/black as the picture would not be edited.

Conclusion: Actual dress is blue/black. Edited photo is white/gold. If you see white/gold you are seeing the actual color of the picture. If you see blue/black your eyes are seeing colors that aren't there and are broken.

You're welcome.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
We know the actual color is blue and black, therefore if the picture was normal and unedited, everyone would see blue and black unanimously unless they're colorblind.

We know the picture is edited and overexposed. People either see white/gold or blue/black. Since any people see white/gold at all. That means the edited picture has to be white/gold since if it was actually blue/black, everyone would see blue/black as the picture would not be edited.

Conclusion: Actual dress is blue/black. Edited photo is white/gold. If you see white/gold you are seeing the actual color of the picture. If you see blue/black your eyes are seeing colors that aren't there and are broken.

You're welcome.

The actual colour of the picture is sky blue and brown.

White/gold and blue/black are seeing exaggerated versions of the colors because their brain colour corrects it for assumed shade/artificial lighting.

cmurph

Banned

You're welcome.

Seems logical. I can't find any flaws with this logic.

White/gold and blue/black are seeing exaggerated versions of the colors because their brain colour corrects it for assumed shade/artificial lighting.

Thats just what color you consider them, some people consider it white/gold/brown/light blue etc. The point is the actual color is not dark blu/black

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Thats just what color you consider them, some people consider it white/gold/brown/light blue etc. The point is the actual color is not dark blu/black

The sky blue isn't remotely white.
The brown isn't black.

Both camps are colour correcting it because their brain is making assumptions about the lighting. That's why it switches for many as well, they aren't seeing the true colours but how their brain interprets the scene.

You only get white/gold and the deep blue/black if you are seeing a 'corrected' image.

A third camp just sees it as sky blue and brown because the scene doesn't trigger a need to compensate for the lighting, they are the only ones seeing the image 'as is'.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Train is going in, that's what the red light is for. To send signals to the conductor.

MiszMasz

Quite, but it's not white and gold either. The colour values of the dress are in between and the whole image is overexposed and taken under a mix of natural and unnatural light.

Taking the above into account, people look at the picture and through a combination of differing physical qualities of all our eyes, and the different ways our brains automatically correct colour perception for changes in light and shading (look Color Constancy up), we perceive the colours of the dress differently, regardless of the actual RGB values in the image.

It just so happens the dress is blue and black in reality, so people who automatically see it as a blue and black dress but under odd lighting in the image also just happen to have the correct perception in this case.

yup the real dress is Blue n Black but due to the poor quality of the photo, the colors a muddied into faded Blue and and browning mud for the black.

We think of it as black because we know the lighting is shit, but due to the poor white ballance of the light, the black in pixels comes of ass muddy brownish

Loofy

No. It really is unmistakably blue/black depending on how your eyes adjust.

Ive seen both at different times of day.

Volcane

Our Blue/Blackers brains are magic, and make the the pic the true colour of the dress.

White/Golders are jealous of our magic brains.

LX_Theo

Banned
PZZdifE.jpg

You have to look at the floor as well as the black/white object on the bottom left. The sky is in a window behind the dress. If it was lighting the room, then the floor would be blue.
Too much assumptions of consistent lighting in this logic

lednerg

I based the black and white levels off of the black and white object on the left as well as the floor. The window is behind the dress, not contributing much lighting to the room, especially not compared to the halogen lights overhead. And obviously, it helps that we know for certain the actual colors of the dress. Going one step further and slightly correcting for exposure and white balance, both versions would look like this:

dqrP4GH.jpg

DJ88

You're welcome.

Sit down dude. You haven't figured anything out.

LX_Theo

Banned
I based the black and white levels off of the black and white object on the left as well as the floor. The window is behind the dress, not contributing much lighting to the room, especially not compared to the halogen lights overhead. And obviously, it helps that we know for certain the actual colors of the dress. Going one step further and slightly correcting for exposure and white balance, both versions would look like this:

dqrP4GH.jpg

me said:

I know what actual color it is. Your logic is bad, though. Knowing the actual color of the dress is a cop out for making your assumptions.

ReBirFh

I can't really understand how some people see white and gold, I mean, on the right side of the image you have samples of white and gold just beside the dress.

MiszMasz

I know what actual color it is. Your logic is bad, though. Knowing the actual color of the dress is a cop out for making your assumptions.

You don't seem to understand what he did to adjust the balance of the image on the right.
It's the white and gold one that actually had to have the colour values of the dress edited besides the balance corrections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom