• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The colors of this photo will appear different to everyone. I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
Sure, I just don't understand why a person's brain would ever look at that photo and have their first interpretation be that the dress is in shadow.

Also, my brain has never been able to make the "switch" on this one, so any advice on how to trigger it would be great.

There is an image way back with a gold bar that does it for me.

Monocle

The actual image in question isn't in the OP. At least not embedded.

Here is it:

heres-whats-happening-with-that-dress-with-the-confusing-colors-882-body-image-1424998233.jpg
In the optical illusion thread someone posted a version of this photo with black bars on the sides. Now that they're gone, it seems my brain can switch freely between perceiving the colors as white & gold and blue & black. Color relativity is weird.

I still dont get the logic behind this. The optical illusions dont make sense because we are all seeing the same image but seeing it differently. For example that gif showing it change as it goes into shadow. But this isnt the same. Its a single image and everyone is looking at static pixels. I can even take the picture into photoshop and colour pick areas and it shows me its white (with a blue hue) and gold.

The human brain is strange.

Can anyone with photoshop and sees it as blue and black like in the OP image test this for me. What colours the colour pickers tells you it is.

jaypah

Still white and gold for me. What a fun little experiment! I don't understand that gif either. Is the cut-out part made of the exact same color values the entire time? Because my brain just sees it fade from one color to the other as it moves from left to right.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I still dont get the logic behind this. The optical illusions dont make sense because we are all seeing the same image but seeing it differently. For example that gif showing it change as it goes into shadow. But this isnt the same. Its a single image and everyone is looking at static pixels. I can even take the picture into photoshop and colour pick areas and it shows me its white (with a blue hue) and gold.

The human brain is strange.

Can anyone with photoshop and sees it as blue and black like in the OP image test this for me. What colours the colour pickers tells you it is.

The idea is that some people's brains are telling them "this is a white and gold dress that's in a blueish shadow" and some people's brains are telling them "this is a blue and black dress in a yellowish light". The reason is because both things turn out to be around the same colour under those different lights your brain is picking one of those to be the "true" colour and auto-corrects the lighting to help you out. You ignore the effect of the lighting and just see the colour you think it should be, so we get some people seeing it as white and gold. It's like that thing where if you jumble up the letters in words your brain can still figure out what's being said:

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.

Your brain is doing an adjustment and making you see what's not really there because it thinks it's helping you out.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
No matter how hard i try or how many examples i see, it never changes

Its always white and gold. Even when people put blue filters over it, its still white and gold

The idea is that some people's brains are telling them "this is a white and gold dress that's in a blueish shadow" and some people's brains are telling them "this is a blue and black dress in a yellowish light". Because both things turn out to be around the same colour your brain is picking one of those to be the "true" colour and auto-corrects the lighting to help you out, so we get some people seeing it as white and gold because that's the decision their brain made. It's like that thing where if you jumble up the letters in words your brain can still figure out what's being said:

Your brain is doing an adjustment and making you see what's not really there because it thinks it's helping you out.

I dont understand how I can colour pick the gold and white and it shows those colours in photoshop when its actually black and blue. I just tested it on someone sees it as black and blue and the colour picking is gold and white.

Thats what kind of blows my mind. On a pixel level that image is white and gold while the dress is actually black and blue. If it was the other way round I might be able to comprehend it but photoshop showing the image is the wrong colour and other people see it as black and blue, its actuall colour) is just strange as hell.

If I colour picked it and it was black and blue (like its meant to be) I could totally accept its what you say. But the fact that on a pixel level it is whitish and gold and thats what I see but thats not the colour of the dress is what is hard to accept.

Izuna

Banned
Still white and gold for me. What a fun little experiment! I don't understand that gif either. Is the cut-out part made of the exact same color values the entire time? Because my brain just sees it fade from one color to the other as it moves from left to right.

It's the same colour

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Sure, I just don't understand why a person's brain would ever look at that photo and have their first interpretation be that the dress is in shadow.

Also, my brain has never been able to make the "switch" on this one, so any advice on how to trigger it would be great.
If your brain thinks the light is coming from behind it can lead to the impression that the front of the dress is in shadow.

Rookhelm

Blue and Black, but the black area does look like it has a slight hue of gold in it, so I can see why someone might say that's gold, but I don't get White at all.

Izuna

Banned
Blue and Black, but the black area does look like it has a slight hue of gold in it, so I can see why someone might say that's gold, but I don't get White at all.

What you are seeing when you say that, isn't why people say white and gold. Atm you are seeing it as Blue and Black and unless it shifts for you, it will stay that way.

This image still blows my mind. Totally looks white and gold to me, but if I squint and think about it really hard I can kind make my brain think it's blue and black.

Yeah its not just a misinterpretation like you feel. People either see it as very clearly black and dark blue or gold and white (with a very slight blue hue).

You cant see how someone might see it as gold and white. If you saw it how I see it you would say it is absolutely white and gold.

When I reopened this thread just now the image was blue and black. Then I went to the last page and it was blue and black. The animated gif showing the color change was quite obvious between between blue and black and gold and white. Then the dress changed to gold and white. Then the gif changed to different shades of gold and white. CRAZY

HiiiLife

When I scroll past the image quickly it's blue and black. But when I take a better look and my eyes adjust it turns white and gold.

Rookhelm

Yeah its not just a misinterpretation like you feel. People either see it as very clearly black and dark blue or gold and white (with a very slight blue hue).

You cant see how someone might see it as gold and white. If you saw it how I see it you would say it is absolutely white and gold.

But I would think people could maybe trick their brains into seeing it the other way...basically how that gif shows. Like, I can understand how people might interpret the black as gold (even if I see it as Black), but the blue is harder to wrap my head around as to how someone could see that as white.

Regiruler

That's the point. We interpret the colours differently based on the context, or what our brains assume the context to be.

I mean, it looks like the color is changing independently of its environment.
If you're seeing it shift then your brain is working properly. :p

It's art someone made specifically to show the effect.

Drawing it on a character seems like an unnecessary step.

LordKasual

Banned
The actual image in question isn't in the OP. At least not embedded.

Here it is:

heres-whats-happening-with-that-dress-with-the-confusing-colors-882-body-image-1424998233.jpg

It was white and gold when I first saw it, for like days. No matter where i pulled the picture up.

Then i tilted my monitor up and back, and it was Blue and black.

It's been blue and black ever since.

SpecX

When I scroll past the image quickly it's blue and black. But when I take a better look and my eyes adjust it turns white and gold.

It's the opposite for me. If I only show the top part of the dress, it looks white and gold, once I get to the mid section of the image/dress then it turns blue and black.

jsnepo

Fuck! I always see this as white and gold but today I see it as blue and black.

When I scrolled down and sees the same image, the colors are white and gold again. WTF!

Zaphrynn

Hahaha, I saw it as blue and black in the post today, then as I scrolled down and saw it in a thumbnail, it was white and gold.

The gif Izuna posted is blowing my mind.

big ander

I'm excited to relitigate an argument over a fairly comprehensible optical illusion once a year until the day I am finally allowed the sweet release of death

pirata

I've never understood how anyone could see white and gold. It's so dark blue! I guess the way people perceive color really can be different.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
It was white and gold when I first saw it, for like days. No matter where i pulled the picture up.

Then i tilted my monitor up and back, and it was Blue and black.

It's been blue and black ever since.
Well, once you go blue and black...

... it'll easily flip again because wtf brain!

I did a blind test on this on three people that have not seen this optical illusion before or heard about it. I live in China so that was easy to get subjects. All in the same room I showed them one by one, and asked them what the colours were. 2 people + myself can see white/gold, one guy could see blue black and was freaking out that we were trolling him we could see different colours, despite the fact that his best friend and wife saw gold/white.

On forums I thought it was just a meme to say the opposite of what you saw, now I can confidently say people can see it differently.

ajim

Always black and blue.

But op says healthy eyes and from not looking at the sun. When I was a kid I used to always stare at rhe sun and challenge myself and friends to see who could stare the longest and watching it change colour.

My eyes are gonna be fucked aren't they lol :(

Here is proof it was an optical illusion all along like a few of us were saying

3IHrEBm.gif

Yeah this gif shows what the issue is.

Screen shot it and take it into photo shop. Color pick the black with the gold light and its gold. The blue is whitish blue.

Then delete the light the right of each image and it still looks different. Move them over each other and they turn the same. However seperate them again and the look different again. so then I deleted all the bits that were different and gave the impression of light (skin, part of dress in normal light) and boom. they are the same colour.

I guess and just simply cant not interperate it as a gold and white dress in shadow because the picture is infact backlit (its why the background is over exposed).

Crazy stuff.

I know it's blue and black. I understand the gif, but no matter what when I'm directly looking at it it's white and gold. Peripheral vision is blue and black.

mantidor

Here is proof it was an optical illusion all along like a few of us were saying

3IHrEBm.gif

Weird bump :p I thought this was settled. It's not an optical illusion strictly speaking, it's an undoctored photo someone took and people see it very differently, but no one is "wrong", it just makes you realize we can see color different from person to person and that is crazy.

And I see it as blue and gold. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom